I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!!

Author
Al Nico
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 202
2011/02/11 15:43:26 (permalink)

I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!!

First let me appologize... I originally posted this in the wrong forum(Producer 8.5)
I copied and brought it over here.
Please feel free to delete it from the other forum... I just don't know how to "move" a thread or I would do it myself...
Anyway, here you are.

It is surreal really.... I have followed at least 4 seperate videos and nothing they do works for me ??? I mean I will even create a simple out of time cowbell for 4 bars and try to "snap it into time"  but it is as if the actual Audio snap program is not even installed on my PC......
I know alot of people struggle with and/or are making it a (monumental) goal to learn it.. Including me..... but it is frustrating when even the most fundamental task cannot be preformed !!
It's as if it is a conspiracy or something?? Lets advertise this feature, make a pop up audio snap pallete that is not even attached to anything and tout how extremely powerful it is....
It is something I would use all the time if it only worked !!!!
I know I am not alone in my misery, just wondering if it isn't something checked/unchecked in the aud.ini file or something like that.
I will literally turn on a video tutorial, set up an identical project, watch each step, pause the vid and do the same thing on my DAW step by step.....
But when he hits a certain button and "Voila" everything snaps into time.... I hit the same button and literally nothing happens !!!!!!
Oh well, I apreciate you letting me vent...
If anyone has some fullproof method of making sure all the right perameters are set up to enable Audio Snaps awesome capabilities please throw in your two cents...
I feel like it i some tiny minor setting that isn't right in some obscure place that prevents this promising, powerful tool from working....
By the way I am broke... so forget abaout the Million bucks.....
Sorry !!!!!
Thanks for your time,
Al

16 Replies Related Threads

Grumbleweed_
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/11 16:29:44 (permalink)
    It wouldn't take much of a search on this forum to realise that audiosnap is, indeed, broken. The top sticky thread lists the things that are being addressed.

You can manually move the transient markers so audiosnap isn't completely shot, but the "B" update should make everything gravy.
    If it doesn't then expect a sh!tstorm....  

Grum

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
    Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
    Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
    Al Nico
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/20 20:21:41 (permalink)
    So your moneys on a completely functional audio snap after the "B" update ??
    You sir, are an optimist.....
    Seriously though..... Your thinking full functionallity??
    Sounds like a dream come true !!!
    Al
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/20 21:09:17 (permalink)
    Where would you like to meet? And will you bring cash? It seems too many people expect too much out of Audio Snap. You have to work with it on a much more localized level than just selecting everything and expecting it all to line up as you want it to.

Craig DuBuc
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/20 21:35:46 (permalink)

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Al Nico
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/21 01:19:41 (permalink)
    Yes you are correct...... It was stupid of me to believe that what I was shown in all the tutorial videos was the actual program working and not just smoke and mirrors.....
    I'll never learn.... Hats off to the Cakewalk marketing department... I guess they never read "the emperors new clothes".
    I wonder what new fake programs they will dream up next ???? My moneys on a "Talent button"
    Al
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/21 06:10:09 (permalink)
    they showed it working in practice.. the person who hosted that thing knows the product inside out.. they were using the version we all got. so perhaps if you can't suss it out from the video , then buy sonar power book..
    have a look at the groove3 videos also.. they probably cover it

http://www.groove3.com/str/mt30.html
    maybe that still works.. failing that perhaps buy them.

what videos did you watch though , only the cakewalk ones?

http://www.soundonsound.c...es/sonarnotes_0510.htm

http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=68

http://www.musictechtutor...hm-with-audiosnap-2-0/

http://www.cakewalk.com/s...reader.aspx/2007013031

http://www.musictechtutor...jects-transient-tools/

p.s. I only accept UK currency, so call it £500k

if after all that you can't get it to work.. then it's user error, I use it from time to time for things without really thinking about it now.

radioactiveblue
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 108
    Keep yer money.... 2011/02/21 06:59:09 (permalink)
    You can all snap my head of if you wish. (pun intended)

First, I've never tried the audio snap for a variety of reasons...not the least of which is all the talk on the forums about it's being "broke".

But, sorry to freak people out but, if you're not muscially inclined to play in time...use a midi input and quantize....or practice...they give you a metronome....ya know....DAW's have amazing functions that allow us to do so much with so little....but it shouldn't be expected to PLAY the music for us....just help....

Sorry.....but that's how I feel.....

Sonar X3E Producer (64 bit) 
    Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
    AMD Phenom II X4 820
    8 GB DDR3 (PC3-10600 MB/sec)
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro
    1 TB WD Caviar Green internal HD (OS and software)
    500 GB WD Caviar Black internal HD (Audio Projects)
    500 WD external HD (for file back up only)
    Kurzweil PC1 SE
    Sibelius 7.5
    (Various guitars and effects, including Roland GR55)

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Keep yer money.... 2011/02/21 07:13:31 (permalink)
    "First, I've never tried the audio snap for a variety of reasons...not the least of which is all the talk on the forums about it's being "broke"."

"But, sorry to freak people out but, if you're not muscially inclined to play in time...use a midi input and quantize....or practice...they give you a metronome....ya know....DAW's have amazing functions that allow us to do so much with so little....but it shouldn't be expected to PLAY the music for us....just help....

Sorry.....but that's how I feel....."

Well, Bob, sorry to break it to ya... but if you've never used Audio Snap you don't even know if you play in time.

I frequently use Audio Snap to make recordings of *perfect timing musicians* sound even better.

It's 2011... and air tight timing is what you hear on contemporary productions and if you want to sound in time by 2011 standards you better be willing to check and see what needs some fixing in a beat snapping program... and use it.

Other wise you'll just end up with hubris tainted [paraphrase]*I play to a click like a big boy*[/paraphrase] results.

best regards,
    mike

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Keep yer money.... 2011/02/21 07:19:43 (permalink)
    boblette

You can all snap my head of if you wish. (pun intended)

First, I've never tried the audio snap for a variety of reasons...not the least of which is all the talk on the forums about it's being "broke".

But, sorry to freak people out but, if you're not muscially inclined to play in time...use a midi input and quantize....or practice...they give you a metronome....ya know....DAW's have amazing functions that allow us to do so much with so little....but it shouldn't be expected to PLAY the music for us....just help....

Sorry.....but that's how I feel.....

I believe that only a 5-10% of the members in this forum actually want to use audiosnap in the way you've described. I personally don't care for audiosnap's capabilities to correct my timing in a recording, but for everything else this thing can do. And it is supposed to do much greater things than you think my friend.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Grumbleweed_
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/21 08:19:40 (permalink)
    Fog

they showed it working in practice.. the person who hosted that thing knows the product inside out.. they were using the version we all got. so perhaps if you can't suss it out from the video , then buy sonar power book..
    have a look at the groove3 videos also.. they probably cover it

http://www.groove3.com/str/mt30.html
    maybe that still works.. failing that perhaps buy them.

what videos did you watch though , only the cakewalk ones?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may10/articles/sonarnotes_0510.htm

http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=68

http://www.musictechtutorials.com/sonar-tighten-up-your-rhythm-with-audiosnap-2-0/

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013031

http://www.musictechtutorials.com/sonar-audiosnap-2-0-multitrack-projects-transient-tools/

p.s. I only accept UK currency, so call it £500k

if after all that you can't get it to work.. then it's user error, I use it from time to time for things without really thinking about it now.
    They wouldn't be fixing it if it wasn't broken. The quantise in 8.5.3 version works as you would expect but in X1(a) it doesn't - in fact it doesn't do anything at all. The audiosnap video (I haven't looked) must be either 8.5.3 or a pre-release version of X1 (where everything worked ).

Grum.  

Grumbleweed on Bandcamp

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/21 08:39:27 (permalink)

grum I'm just after the money.. I'm sure they will fix it though , but I wanted to get my claim in early

the OP said to teach them it.. obv. I am not a cakewalk programmer etc.. so fixing it is out of my control

I can't be held liable for people not bothering to search here and see there is an issue with it currently.#

audio snap hasn't changed THAT much though surely.

post edited by Fog - 2011/02/21 08:45:38
    Grumbleweed_
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/21 10:20:57 (permalink)
    Fog

grum I'm just after the money.. I'm sure they will fix it though , but I wanted to get my claim in early

the OP said to teach them it.. obv. I am not a cakewalk programmer etc.. so fixing it is out of my control

I can't be held liable for people not bothering to search here and see there is an issue with it currently.#

audio snap hasn't changed THAT much though surely.
    I get the money as I responded first! He should have searched but it is a bit freaky watching a video of something working in a certain way yet it is impossible to do the same thing at home with the "same program". It is natural to jump onto the forum to get an answer by any means possible!
    Audiosnap looks to me as though it is simpler than earlier versions (a good thing) but it just needs the functions that are there to work as expected.

Grum.  

Grumbleweed on Bandcamp

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/21 10:40:51 (permalink)
    I must be one of the 5 to 10% that giankap speaks of.  I'm a fairly proficient player but I occasionally want to tighten up a guitar part and I have never...ever...gotten audio snap to work in Sonar.  I end up just rerecording till I get it right (or right enough to cut and paste:-).  In essence all I want is "audio quantizing".  Studio One does it just dandy.  But I don't fancy flying parts between DAWs just for this.  Although I'm willing to try.  I don't see why you can't just select an audio clip, pick your resolution and hit quantize.  It's 2011 for crimeny's sake.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/21 10:49:56 (permalink)
    You can do that, pre X1. It's currently broken in available versions of X1 but listed as already fixed in the X1b sticky post.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Keep yer money.... 2011/02/21 11:44:17 (permalink)
    if you're not muscially inclined to play in time...use a midi input and quantize....or practice...they give you a metronome....ya know....DAW's have amazing functions that allow us to do so much with so little....but it shouldn't be expected to PLAY the music for us

This sounds like the argument against ABS brakes. And my answer is the same:

Yes, I kow how to brake, and 99.999% of the time I can do it just right without assistance. But then comes that night when it's raining, and you're tired, and you're in a hurry, and you're driving a little to fast and that deer flies out onto the road on the exit of a blind curve, and... that's when you need it, and you want it to work as advertised.

J-A-G
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 260
    Re:I'll give you a million dollars if you teach me audio snap!!!! 2011/02/21 11:46:15 (permalink)
    I have the Sonar X1 explained video. It is the best video I have seen to date on how audio snap "is supposed to work" but I am having no luck in getting it to work with my own recorded audio and some rex and wave files that came with X1. 
    I kept thinking I was doing something wrong and spent 2 days trying to figure it out and then I gave up.

Seems to work fine with midi but some wave files refuse to sync up. I never used the audio snap in 8.5 so I am new to it.

Good to know its not me its the new "NOTEBOOK" version of Sonar. (yeah yeah...I am starting to get used to it but had to buy a video to figure most of  it out"
    post edited by Meno - 2011/02/21 11:48:20
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1