Helpful ReplyI'm curious about Bandlab/Cakewalks's plans

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: I'm curious about Bandlab/Cakewalks's plans 2018/08/05 04:56:10 (permalink)
Seeing as both Meng and Noel have both just appeared in this thread this might be my best chance to get an answer to what I think is an important question.

Regarding the Software forum’s sticky thread entitled Sonar and Cakewalk by Bandlab’s Resources and Utilities.

With discussion about the eventual change of forums I would really like to know if the thread I’ve mentioned above has any future in that arrangement.

I’d hate to see everyone’s efforts just become part of a legacy forum. It would be nice to know that it has Cakewalk’s support and will be continued in the new forum.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: I'm curious about Bandlab/Cakewalks's plans 2018/08/05 08:27:41 (permalink)
mudgel
Seeing as both Meng and Noel have both just appeared in this thread this might be my best chance to get an answer to what I think is an important question.

i think it speaks volumes, the threads they choose to jump in on

but anyway:

Regarding the Software forum’s sticky thread entitled Sonar and Cakewalk by Bandlab’s Resources and Utilities.

With discussion about the eventual change of forums I would really like to know if the thread I’ve mentioned above has any future in that arrangement.

I’d hate to see everyone’s efforts just become part of a legacy forum. It would be nice to know that it has Cakewalk’s support and will be continued in the new forum.

completely agree, it's the kind of valuable resource that should really be owned or managed by cakewalk/bandlab, as a faq section or similar... but maybe copy all that info to somewhere else, just in case? could be a sticky in that hard-fought-for gearslutz forum, for example

just a sec

Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: I'm curious about Bandlab/Cakewalks's plans 2018/08/05 10:33:29 (permalink)
a13xhp
Meng has said several times that there is an "aggressive roadmap" coming....

And I see that as a problem right there. Why are they wasting precious development resources on a roadmap when every smartphone comes with some kind of navigation app and it has nothing to do with the traditional core needs of the recording musician?

True, there are plenty of musicians who tour, and in face of dwindling revenues from sales of physical media and downloads, touring is becoming essential for young musicians who hope to have an originals band earn money. But for a DAW to incorporate a roadmap, no matter how "aggressive," seems like almost the silliest feature I can imagine. Who among the countless of us who uses the program in a home or professional studio even cares about the program having a navigation feature unless we're trying to tell the pizza delivery person how to get there? Shouldn't we already know how to get to our own studios anyway?

And is this thing going to be a ProChannel module, a VST, fit in the Multi-Dock, or what? When I downloaded CbB and started using it back in April, I could tell that it had acquired its many features over 3 different decades. Even the user-facing nomenclature isn't 100% consistent, and I find myself applying "region" FX to "clips." So if we're going to have this map thing, I hope it at least looks consistent with the rest of the program. Will it be Theme-able?

Am I just confused and this has something to do with that "Chord Map" or "Chord Track" thing that people have been begging for? An "aggressive chord map," maybe? Like drop-tuned with palm muting? Are the young people still into that? It used to wreak havoc with the Stratocasters at my place.

(yes, as a matter of fact, I am joking!)

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: I'm curious about Bandlab/Cakewalks's plans 2018/08/05 10:44:39 (permalink)
whatever, the roadmap is a secret roadmap, apparently to do with so-called "features"

just a sec

Euthymia
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: I'm curious about Bandlab/Cakewalks's plans 2018/08/05 13:17:31 (permalink)
No sense in tipping off the competition I suppose. Once they have a copy of your roadmap, the risk of them heading you off at every turn becomes much greater.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: I'm curious about Bandlab/Cakewalks's plans 2018/08/05 14:19:20 (permalink)
I suspect the features in the roadmap pretty accurately reflects the features that Meng asked us all about in the sticky thread at the top of the forum, plus some other features related to BandLab's strategy moving forwards.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: I'm curious about Bandlab/Cakewalks's plans 2018/08/06 06:39:26 (permalink)
Euthymia
a13xhp
Meng has said several times that there is an "aggressive roadmap" coming....

And I see that as a problem right there. Why are they wasting precious development resources on a roadmap when every smartphone comes with some kind of navigation app and it has nothing to do with the traditional core needs of the recording musician?

(yes, as a matter of fact, I am joking!)

LOL I'm all for a sat nav pro channel module in Cake.

I don't think the aggressive roadmap Meng referred to is just about the software development but applies to the integration of Cakewalk and associated assets into Bandlab's business model as well as the data migration, and the direction of Cakewalk. That's a pretty huge roadmap that if you pulled it out of the glove compartment and unfolded it, you would never, ever be able to fold it up properly again. 

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
SoundRegion
  • Total Posts : 218
Re: I'm curious about Bandlab/Cakewalks's plans 2018/08/10 15:20:54 (permalink)
Canopus
chuckebaby
My hope is that this new site remains similar to the way this one already is with only added features and fixes.
Kind of like what your doing to CbB.

^This.

Please don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater and turn the new forum into an unstructured Facebook wannabe look-alike. A forum that allows threads like this is something I personally would never come back to.

I certainly don't agree on that, with regards to the style, not moderation. I've been looking at the Bandlab community and it looks great to me. It just doesn't seem that active to me or maybe I'm looking to wrong places. I've never found the community you're linking to. I think it would be great specifically to have the "Songs" forum here, as BL seems to be made for this. I've been running my own old-style forum since 2001 and these types of forums seems to be loosing traffic fest these days. 

Steen
------------------
Sonar Professional - Akai EIE pro - AKG K240 - AKG C5 - Behringer XM-2000 - Hagström Ultra Swede - Evolution MK-149 - Musima Resonata - Komplete 10 - Mackie CR4 BT
Soundcloud  Bandcamp
methodman3000
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 133
Re: I'm curious about Bandlab/Cakewalks's plans 2018/08/11 03:04:46 (permalink)
I don't agree that newbies are kept out of Cakewalk.  There are well developed tutorials that explain how to use Cakewalk.  VTC's are really good.  I am working with a Sonar 5 version of a tutorial and am still finding about aspects I didn't know about.  They have 8.5 and an X1 each are around 8 hours long so I think the materials are out there for people to look for.  VTC find a discount coupon for it and it's a good deal.  I also subscribe to Safari books and with their discount coupon for 1/2 price the service is really good and they have 5 books on Sonar.  So the idea that Sonar is shut out to newbies is invalid.  
    As far as Band, I look forward to their improvements.  I am more intrested in VST instruments and midi files than I am in audio so that is the aspect I am interested in using.  Thank you BandLab for your improvements.  
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1