AnsweredLockedI've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/15 23:45:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby clintmartin 2018/12/16 13:32:37
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
  • Expose your music to fans. You can hyperlink any track in BandLab on social media your website or elsewhere. Which musician doesn't need fans? :)
  • Easily invite feedback on works in progress from peers or band members. Share a BL revision with select users.
  • Engage with other musicians or fans socially. Comments in your BandLab feed are a much better integrated avenue to get feedback and promote your music than a private songs forum.

Heh, these are things I've already used the BandLab integration for, and I hope to get started on the other ones as soon as I wrap my head around the potential.

Just last night, a user on this forum had a question about how to achieve a certain effect on a drum track, so I opened a Cakewalk project, soloed my drum track, threw on the effect, hit the Export button, sent it to BandLab, and shared the link to the forum. Everything within the Cakewalk/BandLab ecosystem.

This would have taken longer if I had gone through the process of File/Export, choose all the settings, browsed to my Mixdowns folder, uploaded it to Google Drive, grabbed the link, etc. Maybe not that much longer, but it eliminated some drudgery.

Who knows, maybe when the fabled new forum arrives, there will be an option to "post to forum." Now THAT would rock like new socks in a box.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
olemon
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 768
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/16 13:07:31 (permalink)
I was invested in Cakewalk, still am I suppose, but my only association with CbB is to check this forum from time to time.

Now, if a Faderport 8 was integrated with SPlat/CbB the way it is with SO3, I might re-think my DAW decision.

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/16 14:51:04 (permalink)
I was extremely loyal to sonar for many years. I switched to studio one last year at this time and have since upgraded to v4. Like you, Olemon, I still check back here and I even still have cbb installed and updated to the latest.

I also have a faderport 8 and love it's integration with s1. I tried it in Mackie/hui mode in cbb and it is decent but nowhere near as deep or customized, of course.

After having complete my first song in studio one, I came back to cbb yesterday to address and old song. Wow. It's amazing how difficult it is to come back to something after having used it for years and using another daw for one year and being SO much more comfortable in it. Everything I tried to do in cbb was laborious, slow in execution, and loaded with pops and clicks at the same latency with a less complex mix.

I was actually both frustrated and saddened by the experience.

The forum is the least of the worries from my point of view, though it does seem that they need to get on with it so that the community here continues and continues to grow. At this point it is the only thing that keeps me coming back. Which is too bad as I have some unfinished mixes/songs that I feel like I am just going to pull a few parts out of and start them over in studio one.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
gargonknight
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/16 23:00:04 (permalink)
im puzzled why ppl have left sonar gone to another daw then come back and have forgotten how to use the newly improved version and say they are unhappy. i used sonar as i worked with someone who had sonar i was on waveform and fl studio. although i was a loyal cakewalk user up until x2 sonar wasn't generative as the other daws i was using even if it was more powerful than the others i was using. bandlab comes along gives me a free platinum version without the bloat and seems to be more interesting stable and more colourful than it was. snd now i can store my mixes there share them and even work on the stems there if i wish. the cbb is better than the cakewalk version by far, and doing better work on it that i did before. ive looked at studio one liked it but felt why would i buy a program that doesnt give you vst capability unless you buy it as an add on??? been to waveform and although powerful workflow is a bit awkward then the other contenders .... well you need a mortgage just to get going. mixcraft was a high contender but felt to similar to sonar in certain ways 
. im excited with where cbb is going to be in a years time, i cant see it being free for ever but would advise ppl who left to register and keep tabs i think they will be pulled back esspecially if a mac version is produced

proper don gargon musical warrior!
Blades
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 03:00:34 (permalink)
im puzzled why ppl have left sonar gone to another daw then come back and have forgotten how to use the newly improved version and say they are unhappy.

I could start to make a list if that would help your puzzled-ness.  Seriously.  I used Sonar through Platinum including lifetime updates, so I was even up to date until right when Gibson tanked the brand.  I understood how to work the application.  Even if not a Full-time professional power-user, I definitely knew the ins and outs of getting things recorded and mixed and dealing with the hardware and software, drivers, configurations, system tweaking, etc.

But when I came back yesterday and opened up an old project, it left me wanting.  Yes, I changed my audio interface, so there were things to adjust, but even that was painful, even being experienced at the same.  I also added the FaderPort 8 device since I left, but I wasn't even trying to use that in CBB.

Here are a few things that are quite simple in Studio One that were a pain for me yesterday:

1. Arranging my plugins - or even getting them to show up where they were supposed to be in groups.  I had to open the Plugins...manage layouts from the Browser (wait about 30 seconds each time for this to load), click VST, find my plugin, select the folder on the right in the correct layout (assuming that's the one I actually had selected before I got to the "manage layouts" screen), add the plugin, go out of the manage dialog, save, look in the newly saved area and NOT see my plugin.  Until I restarted CBB.  Now it's there.  Contrast in Studio One: go to the browser, select the view (folder, flat, vendor, type), drag the plug where I want it - done, or favorite it - done.

2. Listen to my mix - at 2.9ms latency settings via ASIO, the same as Studio One using the same audio device and same drivers (in fact the same ASIO control panel).  Pops and clicks while playing back a simple VST piano by itself.  Load up a whole mix with complex synths, lots of effects, and decent number of tracks at the same 2.9 ms, in an UI that feels FAR more stable and responsive = no pops or clicks.  I recorded, mixed, and mastered the whole project from start to end with no change to latency at all.  In CBB (or old Sonar), I got accustomed to archiving/freezing tracks and changing the latency depending on where in the track progress I was, to keep performance in check.  Studio One = no such thought process or interruption = it just worked.

3. Assigning my hardware to control things in CBB = a bit of a PITA.  In Studio One, I move a control, click a UI element, and click the left arrow in the UI.  Now my slider/knob controls that.  And I'm not talking about the FaderPort 8 (a Presonus product we would expect to be better in Studio One).  I am talking about an Edirol PCR-800 - a device that was made by "Roland" at a time when they owned Cakewalk, that has never been predictable or easy to use with ACT, a technology that was created during the same period as the device, with the device even having a button on it that was decidedly only for ACT (V-LINK), but to get it to control things in CBB is just an unpredictable pain - even having created a ticket with Cakewalk (pre-Gibson-breakup) that took a whopping 9 months to get taken care of that allowed me to utilize simple "midi remote" control that in Studio One (that was wierdly difficult to setup and separate from ACT because that particular function wasn't handled by ACT) has been a complete breeze in S1.

4. The Gui - of course this one is so subjective.  When I first got S1, I was a little underwhelmed with the GUI, but I have found it to be more functional than CBB's.  I have spent less time worrying about how a control looked or how the colors worked, or how I could spend even more time doing customizations and instead in Studio One have spent more time enjoying the immediacy, the simplicity, the intuitiveness, and the productivity. 

5. No reliance on the ProChannel.  I've never been a fan, believing that the modules there are loaded across every channel, whether I want them or not and except for the (enjoyable) Quad Curve EQ, the UIs are too small to be useful.  I'd rather only load on a channel what I am actually going to use to keep the busyness down and make the channels/console far easier to look at.

6. The console - Much more flexible in Studio One, allowing for the volume sliders (and associated controls) to be extended up, for the Insert and Send areas to be height adjusted, and to allow for (some) plugins to display their details at the channel summary level - if you want them to.

7.  Simple to use Audio "quantizing" in the form of Audio Bend = CBB AudioSnap. I have tried to use this facility SO many times in CBB.  It has been hit and miss at best, leaving me to just re-recording things that needed timing adjustments.  In Studio One, it seems completely accessible - a simple few clicks and drags and things are where I want them.  Done.  No hassle, no confusion, and predictable behavior.

8. Macros in Studio One = CAL in CBB.  Macros are FAR more accessible and make it VERY easy to put together a string of commands and tie them to a keyboard shortcut for doing multiple steps in a single key press.  CAL is antiquated and even for a "programmer", the notation is quite confusing and feels like yet another thing that is left over from many versions gone-by, held-over for the sake of compatibility but never advanced for many years.

9. Comping.  Without going into a huge dissertation on this, it changed too many times from Sonar 8 (layers) and the variations that happened after Skylight turning from layers to comping with various differences and little helpful web content to explain it.  On the flip side, in Studio One, it is very easy to figure out what takes you want and promote them to the live track.  Maybe it's just better video training examples online.  Maybe the proces is actually better. In the end, I was able to comp a few guitar solo takes without feeling the need to go back to school to do it.

10. I'll stop with this one - but it isn't the end: Mastering your project.  Being able to master the project without having to close it, open a new file, import the exported wav, etc is WAY more productive, especially when you KNOW you will be doing this process multiple times.  Master it, listen elsewhere, come back to Studio One, make your mix adjustments at the SONG, then hit, Update Master, then export again directly from there (even as MP3), knowing that the same mastering effects will be automatically applied, the same fades, the same volume leveling, etc.  Just overall a much more conducive experience to getting a song done, even when you have to come back to it days later. 

No, Studio One is not perfect - in fact there are elements from CBB from which it could benefit, such as sound on sound recording, better drum mapping (by a little), track icone, and a few other things in CBB that I've frankly forgotten about.  This forum is ONE of those things.  The forum at Presonus is less active, for sure, and this community is one I've been involved with since <2003.  Which brings us back to this forum topic - the Forum. :)

Blades
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 04:16:39 (permalink)
Blades
im puzzled why ppl have left sonar gone to another daw then come back and have forgotten how to use the newly improved version and say they are unhappy.

I could start to make a list if that would help your puzzled-ness.  Seriously.  I used Sonar through Platinum including lifetime updates, so I was even up to date until right when Gibson tanked the brand.  I understood how to work the application.  Even if not a Full-time professional power-user, I definitely knew the ins and outs of getting things recorded and mixed and dealing with the hardware and software, drivers, configurations, system tweaking, etc.

But when I came back yesterday and opened up an old project, it left me wanting.  Yes, I changed my audio interface, so there were things to adjust, but even that was painful, even being experienced at the same.  I also added the FaderPort 8 device since I left, but I wasn't even trying to use that in CBB.

Here are a few things that are quite simple in Studio One that were a pain for me yesterday:

1. Arranging my plugins - or even getting them to show up where they were supposed to be in groups.  I had to open the Plugins...manage layouts from the Browser (wait about 30 seconds each time for this to load), click VST, find my plugin, select the folder on the right in the correct layout (assuming that's the one I actually had selected before I got to the "manage layouts" screen), add the plugin, go out of the manage dialog, save, look in the newly saved area and NOT see my plugin.  Until I restarted CBB.  Now it's there.  Contrast in Studio One: go to the browser, select the view (folder, flat, vendor, type), drag the plug where I want it - done, or favorite it - done.

2. Listen to my mix - at 2.9ms latency settings via ASIO, the same as Studio One using the same audio device and same drivers (in fact the same ASIO control panel).  Pops and clicks while playing back a simple VST piano by itself.  Load up a whole mix with complex synths, lots of effects, and decent number of tracks at the same 2.9 ms, in an UI that feels FAR more stable and responsive = no pops or clicks.  I recorded, mixed, and mastered the whole project from start to end with no change to latency at all.  In CBB (or old Sonar), I got accustomed to archiving/freezing tracks and changing the latency depending on where in the track progress I was, to keep performance in check.  Studio One = no such thought process or interruption = it just worked.

3. Assigning my hardware to control things in CBB = a bit of a PITA.  In Studio One, I move a control, click a UI element, and click the left arrow in the UI.  Now my slider/knob controls that.  And I'm not talking about the FaderPort 8 (a Presonus product we would expect to be better in Studio One).  I am talking about an Edirol PCR-800 - a device that was made by "Roland" at a time when they owned Cakewalk, that has never been predictable or easy to use with ACT, a technology that was created during the same period as the device, with the device even having a button on it that was decidedly only for ACT (V-LINK), but to get it to control things in CBB is just an unpredictable pain - even having created a ticket with Cakewalk (pre-Gibson-breakup) that took a whopping 9 months to get taken care of that allowed me to utilize simple "midi remote" control that in Studio One (that was wierdly difficult to setup and separate from ACT because that particular function wasn't handled by ACT) has been a complete breeze in S1.

4. The Gui - of course this one is so subjective.  When I first got S1, I was a little underwhelmed with the GUI, but I have found it to be more functional than CBB's.  I have spent less time worrying about how a control looked or how the colors worked, or how I could spend even more time doing customizations and instead in Studio One have spent more time enjoying the immediacy, the simplicity, the intuitiveness, and the productivity. 

5. No reliance on the ProChannel.  I've never been a fan, believing that the modules there are loaded across every channel, whether I want them or not and except for the (enjoyable) Quad Curve EQ, the UIs are too small to be useful.  I'd rather only load on a channel what I am actually going to use to keep the busyness down and make the channels/console far easier to look at.

6. The console - Much more flexible in Studio One, allowing for the volume sliders (and associated controls) to be extended up, for the Insert and Send areas to be height adjusted, and to allow for (some) plugins to display their details at the channel summary level - if you want them to.

7.  Simple to use Audio "quantizing" in the form of Audio Bend = CBB AudioSnap. I have tried to use this facility SO many times in CBB.  It has been hit and miss at best, leaving me to just re-recording things that needed timing adjustments.  In Studio One, it seems completely accessible - a simple few clicks and drags and things are where I want them.  Done.  No hassle, no confusion, and predictable behavior.

8. Macros in Studio One = CAL in CBB.  Macros are FAR more accessible and make it VERY easy to put together a string of commands and tie them to a keyboard shortcut for doing multiple steps in a single key press.  CAL is antiquated and even for a "programmer", the notation is quite confusing and feels like yet another thing that is left over from many versions gone-by, held-over for the sake of compatibility but never advanced for many years.

9. Comping.  Without going into a huge dissertation on this, it changed too many times from Sonar 8 (layers) and the variations that happened after Skylight turning from layers to comping with various differences and little helpful web content to explain it.  On the flip side, in Studio One, it is very easy to figure out what takes you want and promote them to the live track.  Maybe it's just better video training examples online.  Maybe the proces is actually better. In the end, I was able to comp a few guitar solo takes without feeling the need to go back to school to do it.

10. I'll stop with this one - but it isn't the end: Mastering your project.  Being able to master the project without having to close it, open a new file, import the exported wav, etc is WAY more productive, especially when you KNOW you will be doing this process multiple times.  Master it, listen elsewhere, come back to Studio One, make your mix adjustments at the SONG, then hit, Update Master, then export again directly from there (even as MP3), knowing that the same mastering effects will be automatically applied, the same fades, the same volume leveling, etc.  Just overall a much more conducive experience to getting a song done, even when you have to come back to it days later. 

No, Studio One is not perfect - in fact there are elements from CBB from which it could benefit, such as sound on sound recording, better drum mapping (by a little), track icone, and a few other things in CBB that I've frankly forgotten about.  This forum is ONE of those things.  The forum at Presonus is less active, for sure, and this community is one I've been involved with since <2003.  Which brings us back to this forum topic - the Forum. :)

I've SPLAT lifetime, S1 V3.5, CbB. I  never came across those Problems with Sonar or CbB - Not your Issues with VSTs or the browser in CbB / Sonar, nor with audio-Interface Setup, no Pops or Clicks. Nothing. It was a bit tricky instead, to tell S1 to use my keyboard.
Your judgement of the GUI is extremely subjectiv, but from what i read in the Presonus Forum, there are endless Discussions about Colours, Knobs, distinction between tracks or autmation lanes and so on . . . And the documentation for comping was way better for me with sonar  than with S1. And what I actually read in the Presonus Forum, there are Problems  with VSTs, Midi, Interfaces as well. . . . . 

But however, I really don't understand your intention to post about your raging passion for S1. Most of your statements are highly individual and subjective.

Cheers :)

Ahh, BTW, at the moment this Forum is less active than the Presonus Forum. For sure. 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
Whistlekiller
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 07:05:19 (permalink)
Blades

As this thread is about the forum, I'm struggling to understand why you've veered so far off topic into other stuff. Studio 1 is no doubt a great DAW, that's well understood, but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the subject matter here. There are other threads which are more approriate if you have a search for them.

X11 i7 3770-3.4Ghz, 32Gb RAM, Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Sonar Platinum, V-Studio 100, V-Contol 1.9 iPad, Omnisphere Power Synth, Alesis V61 Keyboard, Novation Launch Control, Roland JV1010 Synth, Roland GR55 Guitar Synth, Line 6 Pod with floorboard, Shure PG42 Mic, 4 guitars, 5 string bass, upright bass, ukelele, mandolin, Cambridge SoundWorks THX Speakers, M-Audio Speakers
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 07:40:43 (permalink)
Agreed, I almost replied to the above then went back to read the OP (have to do that quite often actually). As mentioned for the OP, this forum is pretty much it until replaced, barring other social media already in existence.

The ancillary stuff is a can of worms that has already been touched upon/pounded into the dirt all over the place already... could pretty much write a book on it by now.

Side comment - as some folks read things from a phone, epic quotes are really difficult to navigate.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Blades
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 12:20:26 (permalink)
Yeah. I get it. It was really long and probably wro gly placed. In fact I have duplicated the same on my own blog so feel free to remove it here if you feel the need. And, Please don't quote the whole post. I initially wasn't even going to post anything like that but then was asked what the problem was, so I answered in my opionon that the least of the issues is this forum.

Blades
Whistlekiller
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 14:30:52 (permalink)
Apologies for quoting your article in full during my response. I must have faster thumbs than everyone else...... :-). Seriously, and to be fair, most forums I’m on usually contract long quotes automatically. Seems this one doesn’t.

X11 i7 3770-3.4Ghz, 32Gb RAM, Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Sonar Platinum, V-Studio 100, V-Contol 1.9 iPad, Omnisphere Power Synth, Alesis V61 Keyboard, Novation Launch Control, Roland JV1010 Synth, Roland GR55 Guitar Synth, Line 6 Pod with floorboard, Shure PG42 Mic, 4 guitars, 5 string bass, upright bass, ukelele, mandolin, Cambridge SoundWorks THX Speakers, M-Audio Speakers
mkerl
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 14:45:32 (permalink)
No apologies for quoting - no quoting, no sense. Necessary to catch the meaning. 

Cheers :) 

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 16:08:05 (permalink)
Is all good. I certainly have had my fair share of thread derailments over the years.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Blades
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 16:25:15 (permalink)
So back to the topic for the forum. We all look forward to its return with new users. Hopefully this will happen soon to keep things movinin a positive direction!

Blades
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 16:27:11 (permalink)
My experiences are almost identical to Blades.  I find these forums still fun to read...especially "Larry and the deals"....  but I have to nod my head....oh yeah...that's how I feel too.

Lastly...the Presonus forums are ok, but they have short fuses and get defensive almost immediately...especially on FaceBook.  The Cakewalk forums have almost always been pleasant and nice.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 17:53:28 (permalink)
mixmkr
My experiences are almost identical to Blades.  I find these forums still fun to read...especially "Larry and the deals"....  but I have to nod my head....oh yeah...that's how I feel too.

Lastly...the Presonus forums are ok, but they have short fuses and get defensive almost immediately...especially on FaceBook.  The Cakewalk forums have almost always been pleasant and nice.

Agreed. This is a great bunch of people. I came back here daily even while using Reaper exclusively for a year, and even asked questions which were not getting answered on their forum (which is nother great forum), or just had a general question of topical interest. Let's keep it going.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/17 21:30:39 (permalink)
Right. I think this is one of the very best forums. It has the most helpful and knowledgeable people around. And as a rule some very nice people. 

Best
John
riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/18 04:39:54 (permalink)
My question was answered very capably in the early posts, so I have no objection that diversions followed; interesting reading.  To have Noel's comments is terrific.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/18 06:07:52 (permalink)
This forum was always a selling point for Sonar because it provided a first-class support system. When I run into problems with other software, not having a forum like this is problematic.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gargonknight
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/18 11:47:19 (permalink)
Blades never ment to be rude about what you said, I was puzzled because if you are the blades I'm thinking about you are one of the main reason I stuck sonar out. The tutorials for sonar was ace I too never had the problems you are having with cbb and I use the bcf2000 with cbb thanks to blades tutorial and it is married to it. I'm not saying studio one is any worse or better than cbb I just like the sound and workflow of cbb . Fl studio is quirky to some but I liked it's workflow but some how cbb has dragged me back and looks like I'm here to stay., all that said, dont give up on cbb blades

proper don gargon musical warrior!
a13xhp
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/18 14:14:59 (permalink)
I don't want to turn this post in a CBB vs Studio One thread but I will say that I'm testing Studio One 4 and I find it too similar to CBB to justify a 400$ outlay. Yes, it has a clearer and less-bloated GUI, yes it has a remote control app but... Personally, I don't care about chord tracks, harmonic editing and such.. Also, the Presence XT library sounds like completely crap. For me, CBB is performing great, it is free and it is been integrated to a nice social media with unlimited cloud storage. If Bandlab keeps improving the program I will stay for very long time with it. Although, I am looking forward to the new forum (a feature request thread with voting capability, Presonus alike, would be great @Noel).
post edited by a13xhp - 2018/12/18 15:14:56
HIBI
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/18 14:28:12 (permalink)
a13xhp
(a feature request thread with voting capatibily, Presonus alike, would be great @Noel)

+1

HIBI (Mad Marsa)     Twitter, Facebook

New official Cakewalk forum.
About new forum, read this: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3806006
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/18 18:34:40 (permalink)
It's encouraging to see how Noel is so upbeat and enthusiastic about Bandlab and CbB. I feel we're in great hands after the uncertain times with Gibson and Roland. 

It's also good to hear that the new forum is being worked on by Jesse and is close to launch date. I like this team and feel very optimistic about the future of CbB

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
Blades
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/19 01:23:22 (permalink)
@gargonknight - not completely giving up on CBB.  I have a special place for it.  I still like the forum here and hope that it continues.  If I DO continue to use CBB, it will likely because of this forum.  I have actually received more comments about my song recorded somewhere OTHER than with CBB here on this forum than on the Presonus forum.  Community is important!  But so is my limited hobby time, so I have to spend it well.

I AM that same Blades.  I've since given up the BCF2000 for which I made those tutorial videos so many years ago.  The FaderPort 8 just crushes it - especially since I got it for something like $350, new in box on eBay.  Even in CBB, it is a far better device for a lot of reasons, mostly because of how well labled it is and how much easier it is to adopt as a result.

As mentioned before, I am assessing some of the songs that I had part way done.  They are more of a mess than I recall!  I don't know how salvageable they are, really, so I don't know that I'll finish them out, except a few.  It is FUN for me to use the software, so who knows where I might complete them.  Hopefully, I at least WILL.

Thanks for your message!

Blades
mkerl
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/19 03:18:28 (permalink)
Blades
  It is FUN for me to use the software, so who knows where I might complete them. 

Really? Together with your detailed Statements  regarding S1 - that's a bit unexpected to me !!!
You know, I don't know you and your tutorials, and I'm no longtime member of this Club of old farts.
But my first Cakewalk sequencer software  was from  Twelve Tone Music and was bundled with a Pinnacle Soundcard from Turtle Beach. No Audio, just Midi. I later upgraded to Sonar XL, wow.  I  used Cubase as well, but my main focus has ever been the music I wanted to play, software and Computers are tools, nothing else. My Instruments are much more important. In Fact, I had a break with DAWs and came back with Sonar Artist / SPLAT /Cubase and through this Gibson dilemma I bought S1 too. But, and that's what I want to say - when software doesn't fit anymore, I don't waste time with it. I go ahead. That's what I do with Video or Pic-Apps as well.
I wish a new forum to come, with fresh ideas and an alignment to the Bandlab cloud - that's where the Journey leads to. And I'm curious about the developments to come. But this whining, ooohh, CbB doesn't do it as well as other software, but I feel this is my homeland, I'll stay forever with you . . . . . .  come On. WTF. Go with S1, it's ok. So what?

BTW, yes, here are some people in the forum with great knowledge of sonar and producing in General. 'True. And really helpful. Thank you for that.

Might be a bit offending to you, sorry, I don't like this oversoft christmas mood. You know,   Christmas markets in my country are sheltered with tons of concrete and bollard. It's like to party in wartime. The cynix takes control of me

Cheers 

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/19 08:46:48 (permalink)
I know that many are fully invested in Sonar and think it is a very special DAW, however, no one should project their investment on others. What people use is their business. I only hope those invested in some other DAW don't come here to find fault.  We have had too much of that in the past. We can all get what we can both from this forum and from what ever we use. Lets leave it at that. 

My hope is all of us have fun and enjoy this forum.   

Best
John
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/19 12:08:47 (permalink)
John
I know that many are fully invested in Sonar and think it is a very special DAW, however, no one should project their investment on others. What people use is their business. I only hope those invested in some other DAW don't come here to find fault.  We have had too much of that in the past. We can all get what we can both from this forum and from what ever we use. Lets leave it at that. 

My hope is all of us have fun and enjoy this forum.   

+1 to this. 

There's far too much of "this DAW is better than that DAW" going on. 

If someone has moved over to Studio One, that's their choice - but don't then come back and complain about Cakewalk not have such and such a feature that Studio One does. There's a features & improvements thread to ask for those sorts of things.

Sure, some DAW's have features others don't have, and each DAW does things slightly differently. I've got Studio One 4, but hardly use it because I simply prefer Cakewalk. If I really need to use a feature in Studio One, I could migrate my project over and do it in Studio One. But so far I've not found a reason to.

IMHO Craig Anderton has the right attitude: be fluent in more than one DAW, and use each for its strengths.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Blades
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/20 01:45:53 (permalink)
Maybe you all have missed the point.  I DO want to be fluid in more than one DAW.  I LIKE Cakewalk.  I Like Studio One.  If not from the users of both, how would Bandlab know what appeals, what needs work, etc.  Including the forum itself.

With this post being about this forum and its friendliness, don't you think it's odd for some forum members to say how unreasonable a long-time forum member (me) is being for liking some features of another DAW and pointing out what is working better about when asked about that very point in that thread?

mkerl: kinds of sounds like there is nothing I could say that would be of value to you.  I complain, you say stop complaining.  I say "sorry about that" and you say to stop being apologetic.  I am not Whining.  I am stating facts about my experience.  Is it wrong that I'd like for Cakewalk to work more seamlessly after paying year after year, creating many tutorials, and helping other forum members out?  Is it actually a problem that I enjoy using the software tools, learning them, breaking them, trying to find solutions to issues, and sharing those solutions? I find my software and its use an integral part of the recording experience.  Sorry if you don't feel the same and can't appreciate that.

Analogy: I have an great set of acoustic drums.  I don't play it because it doesn't do what my edrums do.  Entire groups of people complain that edrums don't work/sound like acoustic drums, with the hope of them getting closer.  And now they are closer than ever, because of the users, the criticism, the experience, and people communicating about it.

My post was not meant as a this vs. that DAW thing.  It was meant in the exact spirit as the thread - why is this forum valuable to you?  When will the new one come?  It so happens that the very communication that this forum allows for is the same communication for which there seems to be a negative feeling.

I suppose I'm loyal, to a fault - in the digital AND real world.  But also known to be more honest than most people want to hear.  

Have a good evening.

Blades
Blades
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/20 01:49:04 (permalink)
One other thought - just spotted this on the Presonus forums by the very helpful user who goes by the name Lawrence:

"Liking the product and acknowledging it's subjective shortcomings are not (for me anyway) mutually exclusive."

Perfectly stated.

Blades
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/20 04:24:55 (permalink)
Frankly, I don't see what the all fuss is about here. A tempest in a teapot, if you ask me. Let it be.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? 2018/12/20 12:07:58 (permalink)
Blades
One other thought - just spotted this on the Presonus forums by the very helpful user who goes by the name Lawrence:

"Liking the product and acknowledging it's subjective shortcomings are not (for me anyway) mutually exclusive."

Perfectly stated.

I only wish that were proclaimed in big letters at the top of every forum pertaining to every piece of content creation software!

The contrary attitudes, that if a program feature is clumsy or difficult to use, it's really the user's fault, and if it's missing a feature that most other programs of its type have, "well then why don't you just shut up and go use that one?," are my main obstacles to posting newbie questions.

Another is "why would anyone want to do that??" when it's a missing feature that I did all the time in another DAW or just something that I want to do in this one.

Case in point: I once asked in another DAW forum about how to leave audio clips unchanged when changing project tempo, because I had a use case of importing audio files of a full band that someone gave me, running a tempo detection on them, and then adding MIDI tracks. Sometimes the tempo detection got it wrong, and I wanted the audio clips to be left alone by the tempo change. No stretching, no nothing, just left alone.

People couldn't imagine a workflow where I didn't already know the tempo of an audio file I was importing, or didn't want every audio clip to be stretched or contracted along with the tempo of the song. I mean, what if you have audio clips that are spoken phrases or sound effects that aren't matched to the tempo to begin with? Why mess with them?

(I figured out how to do it in Cakewalk pretty quickly, by the way)

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1