ILOK

Author
tonyzub999
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2017/08/20 23:23:52 (permalink)

ILOK

I have a a couple Focusrite interfaces which offers a free plug in suite from Softube. The problem is that you have to agree to have an ILok account and use Gobbler. I noticed that many of you have complained about both of these things. So my question is whether the Softube plug-ins are good enough to put up with the problems from these two. I have all the plug-ins that come with SPLAT, plus Focusrite Red, Scarlett, and Midnight suite plus a number of high quality hardware boxes. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

18 Replies Related Threads

Piotr
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 208
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/20 23:44:57 (permalink)
    I have only  1 Softube plugin (also free) and it is great but my coll had their implementation of tubtech and loved it. I believe if you have a chance for getting for free their plugs its worth especially you can also have 2 free Slate great free plugins also requiring ilok.
    People are complaining but iLok is not such evil thing at all. Just you are putting in free USB port at back of your comp, install soft and forget. Gobbler you can disable or uninstall later on. I believe pace driver is only real requirement for ilok.

Regards,
    Piotr
    Sonar Platinum Lifetime
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 00:24:36 (permalink)
    What you are asking about is a very personal decision.  The mere mention of an iLock can be a very polarizing topic depending on who decides to chime into your thread .

Having said that I was in a similar situation as you .

I have the 2i4 and I also run the most current up to date version of SPlat...no Gobbler BTW...if that matters .
    I held off w the iLock until last year and it was due to Focusrite offering some really nice plugs for free that I have finally bit and installed an i Lock on one of my computers ....
    Some of the free plugs they were offering were just way out of my wallets comfort range and I wanted to get a feel for a few brands of musical tools & software that I was locked out of due to not having an iLock..

After having the i Lock installed for about a year on one computer , my impression and overall vibe is the i Lock seems to be working out for me so far ....I have no regrets .( still only on one computer )

After installing an i Lock I was able to go All Out Gung Ho and pick up some Krazy software deals on 3 rd party plugs and VST instruments from vendors that require the i Lock for activation ...

At some point I may go with the hardware dongle .
    The truth is I'm in no rush ....

I don't know if my post is of any help to you ...anyway good luck too you in what ever you decide to do .

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Hangdog Cat
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 02:30:21 (permalink)
    I've heard some iLok horror stories, but so far so good for me (knock wood), and I've been using an iLok for at least 6 years.

I want software developers to be paid for their work, and so far the iLok is the best way to be reasonably certain of that.

I say give it a shot. You'll be opening up a whole new world of iLok-only software.

Never do more in the morning than you can undo in the afternoon.

Computer: Creation Station CS450 V3 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
    Windows 10: Latest update
    Audio Interface: RME Fireface UFX
    Shambler
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 06:47:06 (permalink)
    I've had an iLok for around 10 years and no problem here either...the only time I remember it is there is when EW Play want to do an update and the iLok usually gets updated then too with new PACE drivers.

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
    Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
    8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
    Geforce GTX970
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
    Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
    Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
    Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 09:42:24 (permalink)
    Hi. I have iLok on both my studio pc, and laptop. Dongle in the studio, and software version on my laptop. Had it for a few years now, and I haven't had any issues with it at all. Moving licences around is easy as well.
    I do check for updates regularly, and update when new version is out.
    All the best.
    Edit: I tried Gobbler, but had trouble logging in at times, so I removed it. I download directly from the manufacturer. 

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 10:48:32 (permalink)
    I had an iLok fail. Fortunately it was under the Sweetwater 2 year warranty and they replaced it (actually paid for one that Pace sold me as a replacement).  I haven't had any other problems with iLok  (that I originally got because of trying ProTools) but I refuse to buy (or free) any new VST's that require iLok.  I don't need the mobility of the iLok dongle as I only use it on my desktop DAW.   I recently moved my Izotope apps (e.g. Ozone) off of iLok as they offer other ways to register.  The only thing I have left on iLok that I really use is POD Farm 2 and there is no option for that other than iLok.  I have a couple of other (older) VST's that I don't or rarely use so no big deal with those.

I have some Focusrite equipment and the free monthly add-ons were nothing I really needed and I never downloaded any of them.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    cclarry
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 12:02:29 (permalink)
    Many years ago iLok was a real PAIN.  That has changed.  It
    has been quite stable.  As with any software, it can still have
    issues, but they seem to address these in a timely manner.

Many software vendors are now allowing you to Computer authorize
    with the iLok software, which eliminates the expense of the dongle,
    but, with the dongle, you can move from PC to PC by just moving the
    dongle, which has it's advantages.

I have been virtually problem free for several years now, so feel confident
    to say that it's relatively safe now...as opposed to several years ago, when
    it was problematic

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 13:34:15 (permalink)
    The iLok License Manager runs in software only, no hardware dongle required.

I have some product licenses that require iLok, but they came with 2 activations each.  So for me this works fine, because I can install and authorize on both my desktop and my laptop.  The only two computers I move between.

I am running a current version of iLok on Windows 10 and see no sign of any driver conflicts with anything on my system.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 13:59:17 (permalink)
    My iLok story is just like Kenny's. I was maybe more anti than the the Mangulator. I have used the authorize to computer for a few years now and no problems. I bought the dongle to take advantage of some free, and very good software, and I have not had any problems. My thoughts are: what was a pain in the rear 10 years ago on Windows XP is no longer an issue. For most people. I have made my peace with iLok.

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    Fleer
    • Total Posts : 8715
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 14:21:43 (permalink)
    Echoing both Mangulator and Bass Vador here, albeit on a Mac. Smooth sailing until now. Toes crossed.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
    JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 20:03:29 (permalink)
    Tony,

Feedback from one of the least likely to buy another I-Lok software. My choice only, and may not be coming from a balanced place after all. The thing may work well.

Bringing up my online I-Lok account is like reading the biography of a no win battle zone. Anyone who has been thru this would have moral cause to get upset. Plugins that either were blocked from ever being used or blocked from the second activation. Computers that are dead and gone retaining activations that cannot be transferred or erased. Multiple authorization dumps (especially Eventide). Flipped off by I-Lok support telling me to take my complaints to the vendor. Support tickets unresolved that degenerated into a blame game between I-Lok and the vendor. My feeling is that the programs should have been as easy to activate and use as it was to take the payment.

This said, I’m PTSD’d from the past, so don’t let whiners like me steer you away from something that is both becoming the coin of the realm and may even work now days.

My recorded failures were from last year and before. They still inhabit my profile and cause hard stops on any fixes. This year installed Xpandi with the online account and there were no problems with the initial authorization on two computers.

Couple thoughts then. I-Lok may have ironed out the problems that were causing grief to some of us based on a majority thumbs up opinion of current users. Says a lot. With the recent migration of bigger companies to I-Lok, it is a cautious sign that the system is solid enough that they don’t have to worry about losing customers.

So yeah, go for it. The experience will probably be a good one, the online I-Lok scheme being no different than any online authorization style, except for one black and white warning. No debate on this, no opinion, just reality to take into account.

IF you run into a catastrophic hardware failure on your computer, you WILL lose all of your I-Lok software. I-Lok support will flip you off and tell you to take your troubles to the software company and beg for another chance to activate. Realize that hardware changes to your computer render the computer as a different computer, unrecognized by I-Lok. It will be impossible for you to remove either the computer or any activations associated with the pre crash rig. I don’t know how deep the changes required to dump activations. Hard drive, stick of RAM?

Because of this, the system is fragile and front load with adequate grief ahead when your system has a hardware failure.

Take into account how much your time is worth. I-Lok online account is free, but you will pay thru the yin yang many times over if you have to replace a motherboard.

Agree with the advice here that the safest alternative if you have a stable indoor studio is to go with a physical dongle. Seems to be solid from reports. Costs a few bucks, but think of it as being insurance against greater problems around the corner. Best of luck. You will probably be okay.

John
    jude77
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 21:15:55 (permalink)
    I did the ilok thing about 5-6 years ago and never have had a serious problem.  About a year ago I had a total HD melt-down and lost everything.  The good news is with ilok as soon as I got a new computer and installed all my plugins/software I was up and running no time.  I'd say go for it.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
    4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
    JohnKenn
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/21 21:32:25 (permalink)
    Jude,
    Question for my understanding of this.
    Did you recover from a physical I-Lok dongle or from the online no dongle account.
    With my motherboard replacement, the two physical dongle units resurrected with no problem. The online account crash was not repairable.
    BRainbow
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/22 03:26:30 (permalink)
    I've never had a problem with iLok (owned for 10+ years - used with Autotune, Melodyne and EW Libraries) until my iLok 2 died a month or so ago. 

Even though I had no protection plan (now I do), I was able to get all my licenses back within 3 days and a replacement under warranty (and I live in Hawaii, which always adds a day or two for shipping). They were very responsive by email and deposited my new licenses back into my account the day they got my returned iLok.  When it malfunctioned, I bought a new one on Amazon and priority shipped it so it arrived the same day they redeposited the licenses and I was up and running.

They replaced my dead iLok under warranty with a new iLok 3, so now I have a spare.  Total paid to PACE/iLok = $30.  Since I now have the protection plan, I can be up and running within 24 hours if it happens again at NO COST. 

I would much rather have an iLok and portable licenses than what I went through with Magix -- trying to reauthorize SoundForge and CD Architect (after they bought these from Sony) when I built a new computer and just wanted to use my software.

My 2 cents.

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
    jude77
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/22 18:29:56 (permalink)
    JohnKenn
    Jude,
    Question for my understanding of this.
    Did you recover from a physical I-Lok dongle or from the online no dongle account.
    With my motherboard replacement, the two physical dongle units resurrected with no problem. The online account crash was not repairable.

Hi John:
    The recovery was from the dongle.  I was able to just pop it in another computer and be back in business in a few minutes.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/23 00:31:49 (permalink)
    there was another e-licenser - maybe owned by Steinberg?  that one had issues.  But I have an Ilok 1 and 2 and tons of authorized plugins on them.

There is a world of great stuff out there that needs it.  Check out the SoundToys gear!  Or Arturia.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    JohnKenn
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/23 16:20:38 (permalink)
    Thanks Jude,

Convinced that the physical dongle is a safer bet.
    jude77
    Re: ILOK 2017/08/24 14:32:29 (permalink)
    ^^^^^ You betcha.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1