I'M DONE - NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
THE NIGHT FOX
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 922
2012/06/10 12:13:31 (permalink)

I'M DONE - NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone , bit of a dry spell but manage two days ago to startup this new song project .
I don't play a real lead guitar but I did find something that has a cool electric guitar sound to it , thats the best I can do with my keyboard . 
 http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11702701&q=hi&newref=1 

This is still in the WIP stage , I was hoping to get some honest feedback on the mix and the guitar sound I added . I was trying to capture alittle bit of that electronic heavy metal sound .

Thanks for the feedback !
James - The Night Fox

post edited by THE NIGHT FOX - 2012/06/16 02:14:44

50 Replies Related Threads

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/10 12:18:22 (permalink)
    Well, it seems like a good start.  There needs to be more stuff to fill it out and break up the repetition.  That's just my opinion on a lot of electronica.  The ones that really cat my attention are those that seem to move and change the whole time.  The guitar didn sound at all like a guitar to me.  I'll listen again, I might have been listening to other parts.  Hey, it's a good start and a WIP as you said.  keep on pumpin'!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/10 12:26:52 (permalink)
    evadianepug

Well, it seems like a good start.  There needs to be more stuff to fill it out and break up the repetition.  That's just my opinion on a lot of electronica.  The ones that really cat my attention are those that seem to move and change the whole time.  The guitar didn sound at all like a guitar to me.  I'll listen again, I might have been listening to other parts.  Hey, it's a good start and a WIP as you said.  keep on pumpin'!

Thanks for the listen , yea I'm working on breaking this up in different places . Most of what I have so far is a ton of electronic layered stuff going on , like I said its a WIP right now .
    Thanks for your feedback , maybe by the end of next week this song will be finish .

Thanks its hammer time !
    James-The Night Fox 

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/10 12:41:31 (permalink)
    James, I wonder if you'd describe a little about how you put these pieces together? Just curious.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/10 14:23:55 (permalink)
    jamesg1213

James, I wonder if you'd describe a little about how you put these pieces together? Just curious.

Just curious did you like what I created so far , its a trade off .
    Lets just say it was  carefully planned out one layer at a time starting with a carefully planned drum track as a starting point .

My thought is umm is this a I like this or is he making fun of my work in progress by asking that question , which is it if you don't mind me asking ?

James - The Night Fox

jamesg1213
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/10 14:29:04 (permalink)
    is this a I like this or is he making fun of my work in progress by asking that question , which is it if you don't mind me asking ?
    Neither, my question is what it is. No need to be so defensive, I'm interested in how people work that's all.

Jyemz

THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/10 15:11:17 (permalink)
    jamesg1213

is this a I like this or is he making fun of my work in progress by asking that question , which is it if you don't mind me asking ?
    Neither, my question is what it is. No need to be so defensive, I'm interested in how people work that's all.

Sorry if I came across sounding on the defensive , James I start my music out by creating my drum track first . In this WIP I added percussion instrumental sounds to my drum track layering that in over my main drum track . After that I started recording my other tracks one at a time and mixing each track as I go .
    In this song I recorded most of my tracks by hand using my keyboard , I also found loops and added them in over what I recorded . Not all loops and sequencer sounds fit , it took some time but I did locate some really cool sounds that seem to fit in with what I recorded which helped build up the sound I was looking to create .

This song so far has about 36 different tracks recorded , I found out a long time ago its best to mix each track before you start recording and adding another track .
    Well thats pretty much how I do things in a nutshell , what works for me might not work for you or anyone else but thats how I record & create my music .

James - The Night Fox
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/10 16:36:35 (permalink)
    Sounds good to me... well balanced so far...
    My problem is with the placement of the drum fills... they sound fine but just seem to be in the wrong spots...  normally the fill would occur at the end of a measure... my internal clock keeps loosing count...
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/10 18:54:41 (permalink)
    notnat

Sounds good to me... well balanced so far...
    My problem is with the placement of the drum fills... they sound fine but just seem to be in the wrong spots...  normally the fill would occur at the end of a measure... my internal clock keeps loosing count...

Thanks for some postive feedback , the fills were placed at the end of the measure as they should be . Theres only two in this song right now and they do end at the end of the measure . 

James -TNF
    post edited by THE NIGHT FOX - 2012/06/10 18:58:21
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/10 19:50:31 (permalink)
    Hey James
    Once again I'm diggin your percussion work.  I can see how someone could lose the count but you really are spot on.  The flow of this piece reminds me of a wave coming in and out.  The mix is really clean and some great synth choices you have made.  Looking forward to hearing the finished piece.

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/10 20:04:07 (permalink)
    drumstixkev

Hey James
    Once again I'm diggin your percussion work.  I can see how someone could lose the count but you really are spot on.  The flow of this piece reminds me of a wave coming in and out.  The mix is really clean and some great synth choices you have made.  Looking forward to hearing the finished piece.

Kev

Thanks Kev for taking a listen , yes the drum track is a bit different then most of my drum tracks and works for me in this WIP song . As soon as I get motivated again I hope to wrap this up by next week-end .
    Thanks for your comments on what I have so far , can't wait to hear your song when its finished .

James -TNF
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/11 10:29:47 (permalink)
    I listened to this last night and again this morning.  I liked all 1:40 of this.  It seems like a good stepping off point for something of an epic nature.  As always, I look forward to what you come up with.  Keep up the good work, and I'll talk to you later.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/11 12:47:21 (permalink)
    Lynn

I listened to this last night and again this morning.  I liked all 1:40 of this.  It seems like a good stepping off point for something of an epic nature.  As always, I look forward to what you come up with.  Keep up the good work, and I'll talk to you later.

Hi Lynn , thanks for another listen and comments . I worked on it for another five hours last night and early today redoing the lead section and its really sounding good now .
    I also added in a few more tracks that seem to fit in and work with what I have so far .
    I'm still going round and round trying to fit in a chord progression that will fit in with what I have a first verse section .
    Finding the right synth sound and chord progress right now is like pickin thornes off my ass DANG I'M SWEATING IT OUT !

See where I end up by tonight , thanks again for the comments on what I have so far Lynn .

James -TNF

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/11 13:11:17 (permalink)
    Not a fan of this. The first 35 seconds were exactly the same thing over and over. Its reminiscent of an uninspired Jan Hammer track from the mid 80's. You can do better my friend.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/11 14:19:25 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

Not a fan of this. The first 35 seconds were exactly the same thing over and over. Its reminiscent of an uninspired Jan Hammer track from the mid 80's. You can do better my friend.

Thats because its still in the WIP stage my friend , right now its sounding better then this posted version . I replayed  my Scotty Robotic lead guitar track and that really shines now plus I up the beat some in that section too , just kidding Scotty I had to grease you up to get that lead sound !
    I added a nice flavorful intro track to start the music off with and now I'm working on making some changes to the section you don't care for .

Anyway it is what it is now but like I said it is in the WIP stage almost finished , by the way this short piece of music is going to have a total of two completely different electronica sections and thats it .

For the record as a WIP posted on SoundClick its  # 4 on the charts , maybe it will get a better rating after I repost the finished version .

James -TNF

THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thornes - WIP 2012/06/11 16:06:18 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for your feedback , I made some nice changes and I think you'll pickup on all the changes I made .
    I'm calling this a done deal , I really like the song and I hope you do too .
    If you don't oh well , thanks !

James -The Night Fox
    jamesg1213
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 16:17:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the lowdown on your working methods James. Not my favourite of yours, this one, but it would work OK as a musical cue in a TV show or movie.

Jyemz

THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 16:33:17 (permalink)
    jamesg1213

Thanks for the lowdown on your working methods James. Not my favourite of yours, this one, but it would work OK as a musical cue in a TV show or movie. 

Yea you might be right , it really doesn't have all the elements of a full song such as intro-verse-chorus and so on but for me it was a fun little electronic musical project .
    As for liking it or disliking it will it really boils down to taste I guess , some will like it and some won't like it .

Thanks again for your comments Jamesg ,

James -The Night Fox

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 16:53:15 (permalink)
    I actually wouldn't consider this techno hardcore, nor would I expect any of the local crowd here to like that genre in it's usual form.  To be honest, your track isn't nearly repetitive enough, doesn't have the right kind of drums or is raw saw-wave sounding enough to be really techno.  In fact, it's far closer to mid-80's Genesis than any of the true electronica genres (which actually are far more repetitive).  For an example, click here.

All of that said, I'm not a big fan of techno hardcore anyway (I used to do lighting for those underground warehouse parties in Los Angeles and have almost 90GB of trance, techno and underground so I've heard more than my share!).

Personally, I think you've got a nice starting bed to layer some vocals over and the direction is far better than just another techno song.

So, in case I wasn't clear enough, I like what you've got started better!  However, this style (or techno for that matter) leads to longer songs so you might want to consider lengthening that first part into a couple of verses then kick into the second part as either a break or a bridge then follow with another verse.  Check out the example I linked to above.

Another good start though!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 17:53:04 (permalink)
    James, I like this better each time I listen to it.  Your chord changes and arrangement are very nice.  The percussion kicks, and I like the abrupt ending.  Don't even worry about labeling this because as long as it's MIDI, sounds can change at will and this can be anything.  You could easily add another section to this song, but it stands on it's own already.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 18:10:23 (permalink)
    craigb

I actually wouldn't consider this techno hardcore, nor would I expect any of the local crowd here to like that genre in it's usual form.  To be honest, your track isn't nearly repetitive enough, doesn't have the right kind of drums or is raw saw-wave sounding enough to be really techno.  In fact, it's far closer to mid-80's Genesis than any of the true electronica genres (which actually are far more repetitive).  For an example, click here.

All of that said, I'm not a big fan of techno hardcore anyway (I used to do lighting for those underground warehouse parties in Los Angeles and have almost 90GB of trance, techno and underground so I've heard more than my share!).

Personally, I think you've got a nice starting bed to layer some vocals over and the direction is far better than just another techno song.

So, in case I wasn't clear enough, I like what you've got started better!  However, this style (or techno for that matter) leads to longer songs so you might want to consider lengthening that first part into a couple of verses then kick into the second part as either a break or a bridge then follow with another verse.  Check out the example I linked to above.

Another good start though!

THANKYOU !

James-The Night Fox
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 18:15:18 (permalink)
    Lynn

James, I like this better each time I listen to it.  Your chord changes and arrangement are very nice.  The percussion kicks, and I like the abrupt ending.  Don't even worry about labeling this because as long as it's MIDI, sounds can change at will and this can be anything.  You could easily add another section to this song, but it stands on it's own already.

Thanks Lynn , atlease someone likes it . I sort knew there would be some agression on the other side of the fence but what the hell I like it and I'm sure its going to get some decent feedback in ratings posted on SoundClick .
    Everyone has their own opinions , nothing new !

Thanks again Lynn !
    James Spivey
    craigb
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 18:53:41 (permalink)
    I always say, if you're trying to please a lot of people then copy the highest charting pop songs - that's mostly what those types do anyway.  Otherwise, it's always best to write what pleases you.  It will come out FAR better and then let people decide if they like it or not.  I'd much rather prefer have a small, loyal following then generic appeal of the shallow-minded masses.

When you're looking for constructive feedback (like in this forum), I think it's useless for people who don't like the given so-called (sub)genre to respond.  I mean, if they don't even care for the best that the genre produces, how are they supposed to help you?  I like a very broad range of genres but you probably won't hear me commenting on the few that I don't like (mostly those that fall into the crap areas or anything with Cookie Monster vomiting vocals).  The three main areas I will comment on are Classic Rock, New Wave and Trance.

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 20:46:14 (permalink)
    Hey James it has potential but there is not enough dynamics to the tune, deconstruct the elements, start with just a 16 bar synth intro, then bring in the drums.

I like the guitar line but the actual sound is not good, it really needs to be beefed up somehow.

The toms, sound cool but the snare is flat and weak, try putting a tube simulator over it.

Don't take peoples opinons to heart too much, music/art is very subjective.  Does the track need work, yes but the basics are here. 

I put stuff all the time and I get slaughtered too some of the time, its all part of being an artist.

If you think it's good explain why you think its good, if you know it needs work take the critsicim with grace and move on.

Wow I think I am getting old, handing out sage advice.

Keep working on it mate, as Roger Waters once said "You can't hand a bunch of synths to a person and they become us:Pink Floyd" it's not quite the quote but close enough, get Live in Pompeii you will learn more from that film than getting angry at people on this board.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    craigb
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 20:54:50 (permalink)
    Hehe...  Ben's comments remind me of this exchange:  "Man, your synth sounds like it's being played through an AM radio!" which was replied with "Well, I spent over an hour trying to make it sound that way so it should!"

Sometimes the parts people try to "correct" are exactly why a song sounds different and stands out.

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 21:03:00 (permalink)
    craigb

Hehe...  Ben's comments remind me of this exchange:  "Man, your synth sounds like it's being played through an AM radio!" which was replied with "Well, I spent over an hour trying to make it sound that way so it should!"

Sometimes the parts people try to "correct" are exactly why a song sounds different and stands out.

Is this something I've said? Sounds like something I would say.  Lol

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 22:30:11 (permalink)

Ok guys so you don't like it or is it you just don't like me , I happen to like what I created and here's the thing I'm not posting to please or get some approval  I post because this forum belongs to the company that sold me their software and its their software that I use to create this music I created and posted .
    The bottom line is like a ROSE theres always THORN'S that you have to deal with in life and I guess theres a few who seem to want to keep stickin it to me no matter how good or how bad my stuff seems to be .

As for the drums in this music , it KICKS ASS and sounds GREAT ! The lead guitar synth sound I picked out its the best I could find that really does sound close to a shredding lead guitar sound , sorry I could not find a real guitar player but IT AN'T THAT BAD for what it is and works very well !                                                                                                       Just for the record I don't have any plans to change anything except for maybe adding some type of lyrics to it , now that would really piss some of you off TALK ABOUT THORNS !

James - The Night Fox
    craigb
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 23:11:47 (permalink)
    Not sure who you're talking to, but "I" like it!

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/11 23:21:20 (permalink)
    TNF, I do not even know you, so its hard for me to say whether or not I like you. But, when I say I do not like something in a song, it is independent of how I feel about the person. There are some people here whom I very much like that I am far harder on than you, and there are people here who I do not care for much, but whose music is extraordinary, and I say so. If I say you can do better, it is in reference to the other things I have heard from you. There is absolutely no aggression in me toward you or anybody here.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Re:Roses And Thorns - NOW FINISHED ! 2012/06/12 01:14:07 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

TNF, I do not even know you, so its hard for me to say whether or not I like you. But, when I say I do not like something in a song, it is independent of how I feel about the person. There are some people here whom I very much like that I am far harder on than you, and there are people here who I do not care for much, but whose music is extraordinary, and I say so. If I say you can do better, it is in reference to the other things I have heard from you. There is absolutely no aggression in me toward you or anybody here.

I could had said TNT Ha! Ha ! Hey I know my NEW artist name change angry's alot of people here but what the hell I like Fire & Brimstone !
    Anway lets all be HAPPY , all the fuss is getting really old ! I mean its not like your going to give me a big prize if I create something thats going to make you happy !

TNF as in The Night Fox -James

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1