" IN HEAVEN " ONE MORE TIME PLEASE !

Author
radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
2012/03/04 05:09:07 (permalink)

" IN HEAVEN " ONE MORE TIME PLEASE !

I'm back with my finished song about the death of Whitney Houston . Yes I had to change the title again , this is the final title change because I'm done writing my lyrics for this song . The song is now called " IN HEAVEN " .

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11482788&q=hi&newref=1

As for the vocals well what can I say I tried my best , without alot of singing practice this is the best I can do right now . Atlease you get a feel for my song and how I wrote it , one might think its a Christian song because of the lyrics in the 2nd verse but its really about Whitney Houston .
I might try redoing my vocals again later to see if I can smooth things out , see what happens but for now this is it .

You should be able to hear my lyrics better this time around , my exwife had no problem understanding the words .

Here is my lyrics below .

" IN HEAVEN "

Verse 1
Jersey , Baptist singer down in Jersey
Jersey , Moma told me I was a singer in church
Daddy , taxie driver down in Jersey
Mama , she always told me I would be a star

Chorus 1

The pain , the tears , I cry for you - in heaven
Moma , I hear you , I feel your love - in heaven

Verse 2

In this place , in this world , I will sing to you , I will sing to you
In this world , where I stand , a mystery to me , so much love
Love , so much love , its magical , its love .
Love , its Jesus , so much love its magical
Its love , its God , its me in heaven
Its love , its God , its me in heaven

instrumental ending - verse 2

Bridge - Moma , Daddy , My baby , I Love you
My friends , My fans , I love you , I love you

Chorus 2

The Pain , The tears , I cry for you - In Heaven
Moma , I hear you , I feel your love - In Heaven

( Instrumental section between chorus sections )

Chorus 3

The Pain , The tears , I cry for you - In Heaven
Moma , I hear you , I feel your love -In Heaven
post edited by radio - 2012/03/06 23:57:18

17 Replies Related Threads

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 10:49:58 (permalink)
    Hi Radio, 
    I appreciate your song, lyrics and production.  I like it.  Way too much reverb on your vocal.  You did good on it.  Sounds are really good all around.  You could raise the pitch a step or two and your voice would sound even better (IMO).  
    Great creativity and tribute.  

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 12:08:58 (permalink)
    I like this song, but if you hadn't said it was a tribute to Whitney Houston I never would have made the connection.  It doesn't mention her by name, and it's so far from her style of music that I would easily have been fooled.  It is awash in reverb which makes the words hard to understand, nevertheless, the song is infectious.  Nice effort.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    radio
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 13:02:04 (permalink)
    Lynn

I like this song, but if you hadn't said it was a tribute to Whitney Houston I never would have made the connection.  It doesn't mention her by name, and it's so far from her style of music that I would easily have been fooled.  It is awash in reverb which makes the words hard to understand, nevertheless, the song is infectious.  Nice effort.

Lynn thanks for the comments but heres the thing , I didn't put her name in it or her mothers real name or her daughters real name in it for fear of being sued by any of them or anyone connected to their family .
    So that being said I used real life facts about her early life in church where her mother supported her at home and with her singing .
    I used ( MOMA ) instead of her real name . I used ( Daddy ) for her fathers name .
    I used ( My Baby ) in place of her real daughters name .
    Her father in real life was a real taxie driver in Newark , N.J .
    For her fans who really know her and who are connected to her might connect to my lyric's but then again just for the sake of not being sued one could think of it as a Christian song .

As for the too much reverb , your mostly right . I did have my exwife listen to it before I posted it and she didn't have a issue with not understanding my lyrics .
    Tell me how do you add reverb without your vocals being washed out , in my music software RECORD I have many vocal reverb to choose from , I don't understand how you get the reverb you want and not have your vocals washed out where you can't understand the words in the lyrics .

I could make it totally DRY but that would not sound good for this type of song so short of paying for studio time I'm stuck !

Thanks for your comments Lynn !
    James

radio
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 13:18:30 (permalink)
    Rimshot

Hi Radio, 
    I appreciate your song, lyrics and production.  I like it.  Way too much reverb on your vocal.  You did good on it.  Sounds are really good all around.  You could raise the pitch a step or two and your voice would sound even better (IMO).  
    Great creativity and tribute.  

Rimshot

Thanks Rimshot , thanks for your comments . I was going to mess around with my singing again today and the mix .
    Its a real pain in the butt trying to record vocals , I had to throw a heavy blanket over my computer desk to help muffle the sound for singing .
    I don't have a expensive microphone like some of you people here use and all the great expensive software used for singing .
    My Microphone is a $50.00 Microphone , I don't have a home studio setup for home vocal recording so I have to make do with what I have and hope it turns out sort of good .

Another thing this is my first song I have written in a year ,another thing is I haven't used voice for singing in a year so you an imagine how out of shape one can get compaired to someone like Robby or some of you who sing everyday in your songs .

Thanks again , maybe today I can do a better job cutting back on some of the reverb .
    See what happens today , this time I need to stick my fan turned on low under my blanket because after ten minutes it gets hot .
    I don't want to end up like a roasted singer trying to record his vocals for one song YIKES !

Cheers !
    Radio

radio
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 15:19:31 (permalink)
    For those who say too much reverb  , I'm going to add in a dryer mix this time and also I'm going to try as in TRY to cleanup a few vocal flaws I made earlier in my song .

Time to throw over the blanket and start singing my heart out , hey wifey crank up the fan ITS HOT in here , YIKES !!! 

radio
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 17:29:22 (permalink)

Ok I went back and redid my vocal track from start to finished and then I completely remixed it .
    Does it have some reverb in it yes and thats what I wanted for this song but here the deal I did raise the volume level on my vocal track and lowered the volume on my music track plus I mixed both tracks too.

This is the best I can do , I don't work with vocals hardly at all like many of you on the forum .

I'm calling this song a DONE DEAL with me , time to move on to another music project .
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions I hope you like it for what it is , its much clearer now then before with my vocals plus I got rid of a few singing flaws as well that was very noticeable before .

Thanks for the listen everyone , I gave it my best !
    Radio
    post edited by radio - 2012/03/04 17:30:34

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 18:08:21 (permalink)
    OK, I just replayed this, and the lyrics are much easier to understand this time.  As for the reverb, there's no right or wrong, it's just a matter of taste.  Like in cooking, how much sugar to add to the mix or how much salt.  There are many different flavors of reverb, and in this case, if you have the time try a medium plate and add about 15 to 20% of the reverb into the mix.  Or, just cut the reverb you're using in half and see if it sails.  Without knowing your reverbs and routing system it's just guess work on my part, but whether you change it or not, it's still a good song.  I doubt anyone else in the world would have approached like you did.  I catch your drift about not using names so as not to be liable, though I would bet that the family would appreciate your effort.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 18:28:25 (permalink)
    Radio,

Great tribute to a 'Christian' pop-star.

Yes, this seems like Heavenly love to me, complete with the "Jesus"-Love.

Today I buried yet another friend, so I'm pretty at home with heavenly things.
    I never knew much of W.H., except 3rd hand.  Apparently (and I may be wrong), she had an effect on you.

I feel this song is in a scratch-sketch mode on 1st listen.  Its great AS IS!  Heavenly and mystical (as I'd interpret).  Message and vox are 10/10 to me; I anxiously await more instrumental hooks, orchestrals, and/or heavenly choirs (or such) ... to complete this mission.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    radio
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 18:46:26 (permalink)
    Lynn

OK, I just replayed this, and the lyrics are much easier to understand this time.  As for the reverb, there's no right or wrong, it's just a matter of taste.  Like in cooking, how much sugar to add to the mix or how much salt.  There are many different flavors of reverb, and in this case, if you have the time try a medium plate and add about 15 to 20% of the reverb into the mix.  Or, just cut the reverb you're using in half and see if it sails.  Without knowing your reverbs and routing system it's just guess work on my part, but whether you change it or not, it's still a good song.  I doubt anyone else in the world would have approached like you did.  I catch your drift about not using names so as not to be liable, though I would bet that the family would appreciate your effort.

Thanks Lynn for the comments this time around , yea so far I heard where their family already have law suite out and I don't want my song added to their list .
    Your right about adding reverb , its a matter of taste and again its tricky to work with when mixing reverb tracks with vocals .

Anyway thanks for the listen again and your comments .

Radio

radio
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 19:00:14 (permalink)
    Philip

Radio,

Great tribute to a 'Christian' pop-star.

Yes, this seems like Heavenly love to me, complete with the "Jesus"-Love.

Today I buried yet another friend, so I'm pretty at home with heavenly things.
    I never knew much of W.H., except 3rd hand.  Apparently (and I may be wrong), she had an effect on you.

I feel this song is in a scratch-sketch mode on 1st listen.  Its great AS IS!  Heavenly and mystical (as I'd interpret).  Message and vox are 10/10 to me; I anxiously await more instrumental hooks, orchestrals, and/or heavenly choirs (or such) ... to complete this mission.

Thanks you know to be honest with you I started with a plan to tell a  story of how she died from the use of drugs and then a week later I thought to myself why should I trash her name with drugs .
    I'm not the judge and should not judge her I thought to myself , only God knows the truth and the whole truth .
    I'm sure she is in heaven right now if their is such a place , for me I believe heaven and hell lives within each of us right here on earth but hey I could be wrong maybe there is another place where only the dead know about and end up going to .

I do believe in God and I'm not ashame to say I do , I also believe in a Jesus too . We should all live our lives like he did back in his days here on earth .
    Anyway I believed she was a person who really believed and trusted in God and thats why she was such a great singer , thats why I decided to write a song about her life in four minute song .

Thanks for your comments about this song , someone had to do it and I'm guessing God had a plan for me to write a song after her . RIP Whitney your voice will always be heard around the world and in heaven !

Thanks !
    Radio
    post edited by radio - 2012/03/04 19:02:40

radio
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 23:32:29 (permalink)

Hi everyone , I decided to make that youtube video for my song and that is almost finished .
    A simple photo background type video with moving lyrics , most of the photo & lyrics editing is finished .
    Should have the music video posted late tonight , when its posted I will leave a youtube link for anyone interested .

Cheers ! Radio

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/04 23:55:42 (permalink)
    Pretty cool  production... there's a lot of low-end content on that vocal reverb...  I'd eq that, and bump the dry vox mix a bit...
    neet-o...
    radio
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/05 01:07:42 (permalink)
    notnat

Pretty cool  production... there's a lot of low-end content on that vocal reverb...  I'd eq that, and bump the dry vox mix a bit...
    neet-o...

Thanks for the listen and comments on my song , I just posted my little video on youtube . 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUsd8R0V6Zc&feature=youtu.be

Nothing special because I didn't have alot to work with , just a photo background , music & lyrics and thats it .
    Maybe I will get some its on it who knows , I did see where someone else did a Whitney Houston song they created .
    I didn't watch or listen to it but I'm guessing they used her full name , not me !

Thanks for your suggestion , maybe I'll give that a try this week .

Radio

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/05 07:46:25 (permalink)
    Hi James,

Sounds good, man. I think your vocal is perfect for the song/production. Nice job!

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    radio
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/05 16:31:19 (permalink)
    geeare1

Hi James,

Sounds good, man. I think your vocal is perfect for the song/production. Nice job!

Thanks Greeare for your comments , I hope this reply works now because it gave me an error two hours ago when I tried to reply back to you .

Radio

radio
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/07 00:05:03 (permalink)

I could not help myself , two days after working with the song and then posting it thinking it was the best I could do I realize it had way too much reverb in it . Funny how your ears fool you when you have worked with it for hours and hours .

Anyway I remixed my vocals differently this time around , I setup two vocal tracks and pan one all the way to the left and the other all the way to the right .
    Added some dry reverb to each vocal track and then balance out all tracks .

If you have time to spare maybe you can tell me if this new updated version works better this time around . I'm still trying to figure out the vocal mixing stuff , its a whole different ball game mixing vocals unless your a pro at it and I'm not but you have to start learning at the bottom and work your way up .

Thanks for the listen again !
    Radio

Bob Oister
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re: " IN HEAVEN " My Whitney Houston song 2012/03/07 04:41:22 (permalink)
    Hey, James,

I didn't hear the first full mix, but this really sounds excellent!

You did a dynamite job on the vocals and the music sounds great.  Your voice works very well with the ambient qualities of the synths.

Nice work, buddy! 
    Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1