ISP and LUFS Monitoring

Author
theheliosequence
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 125
2015/04/22 23:36:11 (permalink)
3 (1)

ISP and LUFS Monitoring

It would be great if we could have the options of displaying ISP (intersample peaks) and a LUFS reading in our metering options.

Something similar to what DMG Dualism or iZotope insight can do.

4 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: ISP and LUFS Monitoring 2015/04/23 03:02:54 (permalink)
    I also got a tip on a SSL having a free plugin(32-bit only) X-ISM that show intersample peaks. But this is heavy and a real cpu hog. It involves serious oversampling, so maybe a plugin like that is better option.

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/music/X-ISM/

Thanks for your tips on other options too.

I think it could be useful, if just being on master and built in though. I fear crackles and pops due to cpu hogging.
    theheliosequence
    Re: ISP and LUFS Monitoring 2015/04/23 04:10:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting!

I've seen X-ism fail to report ISPs that both Dualism and Insight did see so I stopped using it. But the price is right though (free). The idea is definitely just to have the option so if you were doing something (say mastering) that required these features, you could turn them on. Perhaps it could be integrated into a channel tools type plugin? I guess making a plugin would potentially be easier than changing the metering system, but it would certainly be cool as an integrated feature if you're constantly needing such features.
    b

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: ISP and LUFS Monitoring 2015/04/23 09:53:21 (permalink)
    +1 for LUFS metering. Fortunately, there are free and cheap third-party solutions, so it's not a burning need.

Displaying "true peak" values would be good, too, and easy to implement. I'm not sure anybody's going to care about it, though. Standard advice is to set your brickwall to -0.1 dB, and everyone who currently does that is obviously not concerned about ISPs.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    theheliosequence
    Re: ISP and LUFS Monitoring 2015/04/24 08:48:16 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    +1 for LUFS metering. Fortunately, there are free and cheap third-party solutions, so it's not a burning need.

Displaying "true peak" values would be good, too, and easy to implement. I'm not sure anybody's going to care about it, though. Standard advice is to set your brickwall to -0.1 dB, and everyone who currently does that is obviously not concerned about ISPs.

True... Not necessary for most. Just think it would be a cool feature! :-)

Yeah, standard advice of -.1 isn't the best practice... as you probably know.

I actually don't know of a single brickwall limiter that will protect from ISPs at a -.1db level on a hot master. iZotope Ozone can handle -.2 (with the ISP protection selected) Fab-Filter Pro-L and Elephant 4 can handle -.3 (with 4x oversampling) Many others will have ISPs even at -.5-1db or sometimes (sadly) even lower levels...

Also, converting an MP3 from a -.1 peaking file might also give you overs... If it's at all close to modern music levels it's probably going to happen.

This isn't directed at you BitFlipper, but anyone who sets their peak limiter at -.1

But if everyone could see ISPs......
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1