Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin

Author
Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
2018/01/29 20:55:10 (permalink)

Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin

What do folks do to carry out A vs. B comparisons without being fooled by volume?

So, I have a bunch of FX on (say) the master bus (SET UP A), and I want to hear what they sound like versus the dry signal (SET UP B). I want to compare A vs B with one click or even better a keyboard shortcut to switch between the two BUT I do not want to be fooled into thinking the louder one is better. I want to hear purely the effect of the FX in Set Up A. 

I have read about Ian Shepherd's Perception - and the video looks very convincing. Any thoughts on this or alternatives plugins or techniques? 

13 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/01/29 21:55:18 (permalink)

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
    Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
    More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/01/29 21:59:30 (permalink)
    $149 seems like a rather inflated price for a plug-in like this.  Sure, if you run a professional studio with high demands for perfection, it could be justified.  But for the typical home-studio producer, that's a lot of money.

Unfortunately, we cannot just use our DAWs channel metering and assume matched levels will get the job done unless the spectral content of the comparison signals is very similar.  But what about LUFS meters?  Do these things take Fletcher-Munson sensitivity curves into account?  I must confess, I have no idea.  But if LUFS does account for spectral distribution of audio energy, then I suspect this kind of measurement would in fact be adequate.  Opinions welcome.
    subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/01/29 23:48:30 (permalink)
    Melda MCompare. Haven't compared then feature for feature but it seems to do a lot, and Melda stuff is generally great. And it's on sale right now!

http://www.meldaproduction.com/MCompare

You can sometimes get them even cheaper at Audiodeluxe or maybe other discounters...

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    Chandler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/01/30 01:26:41 (permalink)
    I agree. I ise Mcompare for every project and IMO it helps alot. Check it out for tourself and see if it meets your needs.

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
    My Youtube page
    Marshall
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/01/30 08:36:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for your input so far. There is an interesting debate between Ian Sheppard and the MCompare developer here 

I am certainly no professional David, but I think this type of plug could be hugely valuable for an enthusiast like me who has often been fooled into thinking louder = better. 

Any further comments more than welcome! 
    bwbalint
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 296
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/01/30 13:41:23 (permalink)
    Mcompare is $34.50 at Audiodeluxe this morning.

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/01/30 16:11:01 (permalink)
    Another vote for MCompare.

One thing to bear in mind going forward is that plugins with complex internal routings can just be bypassed to achieve the OP. I have shied away from the one-off plugins recently, since saving complex presets once makes life easier, and Melda's stuff is free upgrades for life and each purchase builds towards the "whole shebang." They are also nicely scripted so you can dive deeper into the guts of them as one feels comfortable.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/01/30 17:08:45 (permalink)
    i think it is still better,
    to make these decisions based on sound, not volume.....

it's simple to turn the volume up and down to put the playback at what you consider a loud but comfortable level..

and THEN make the decision which version sounds better.

you do not need any kind of plugin to do this.

and it could be, the louder version IS the better version, based on how the compression or limiting or whatever you used to gain the louder volume, did to the low end, high end, and middle....

it's pointless to me,
    to match volumes for comparison,
    when LUFS and your own ears are the best measurement.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/01/30 17:09:30 (permalink)
    and if you are mastering,
    you'd better know what you are doing about level matching, as well as tone matching.
    otherwise, you are barking up a tree.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

frankjcc
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 383
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/02/01 12:29:34 (permalink)

AB_LM 

from TBProAudio

Sonar platinum (life)
    Scarlett 18i20  2nd gen
    Intel i7 7700k 4.2ghz  16gig ram
    Geforce GTX 550 ti
    Win 10 Pro 64
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/02/01 18:05:06 (permalink)
    There is no harm in listening to A/B comparisons of signal quality before an after an effects chain at exactly the same volume.

All these plugins basically consist of a series of plugins that are set up in a certain configuration. And some sort of rms measuring device.  It is possible to set something yourself using the signal flow of your DAW and a quality VU meter in order to create two signals of equal loudness.

It does remove the louder is better thing and leaves behind only the other stuff you have done to a master or a buss or a track.  And in many cases the signal will sound worse meaning you have made it worse! This can be very revealing. What you are actually doing to a mix.  It is important to listen to the transients carefully in a mix and you can do this when the two sources are at a perfect level match.  It will be the compressors that are screwing up transients say.  The attack setting brings them back in.  Stuff like that.  Make sure that EQ is just acting in the right part of the spectrum.....

Ian's plugin is rather expensive for providing this kind of thing. TB Pro Audio AB_LM is cheaper and from what I can see does the very same thing. There may be cheaper alternatives again. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    bwbalint
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 296
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/02/01 23:28:00 (permalink)
    MCompare is $30.99 at Audiodeluxe today with group code FEB2018.  Just saying.  

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
    Marshall
    Re: Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin 2018/02/02 08:39:28 (permalink)
    Thanks all, I appreciate everyone’s input into this.

I decided to follow my own instincts having read and watched numerous articles and videos, and invested in the MeterPlugs Perception. I don’t doubt that the others mentioned here could do a good job, and they are cheaper, but I felt this could really make a difference to me, and decided on (perhaps) the Rolls Royce version.

I have a decent acoustically treated studio, and am enjoying mixing, production and mastering more and more. For me, getting away from the louder is better illusion is a big deal. Being able to make level playing field judgements on effects and processors is a big deal. Being able to A-B seamlessly with one click, make adjustments to the signal chain and do it again and without worrying about manually changing levels is huge.

One of the reviews I read in my research was this one by Hugh Robjohns. Now unlike me, Hugh is a real expert and I respect his opinion enormously, but one of the telling statements he makes is “Perception is recommended without reservation for anyone involved in mastering at any level, and I envisage using it routinely as a standard part of my plug‑in chains whenever I am working on mastering projects myself.” I.e., even for non-experts like me, he believes it is a worthwhile investment. Indeed, I think that it is especially helpful for mere mortals, precisely because we don’t have years and years of mastering experience behind us.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1