If i have to rebuild my pc....will i be able to open my old projects?

Author
crabtwins
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1460
2010/07/22 21:48:24 (permalink)

If i have to rebuild my pc....will i be able to open my old projects?

Basically i have a hard drive that is failing on my main pc.....

So if i re-install P5 and my VSTS.....will projects open (provided i have them, which i do).

My main concern is that say i have dimension pro and rapture for example in a different file/folder structure will P5 know how to go find the right VST?

Reason is because i like to install all VST's to one folder.  NOt the defaults.....

6 Replies Related Threads

diffracted
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:If i have to rebuild my pc....will i be able to open my old projects? 2010/07/22 23:14:21 (permalink)
    You should be able to do so just fine. I've completely moved computers a number of times, changing the paths of VSTs, and only have problems if I forget to copy a folder of audio files or forget to install a VST.

Is just cloning the drive onto a new one viable? That may save you a bunch of headaches and time in general.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:If i have to rebuild my pc....will i be able to open my old projects? 2010/07/23 00:45:59 (permalink)
    Every time I moved to a new computer I've "bettered" my organization.  Use it consolidate my filing system, for example.

If you change vsti folders you can make P5 can find it.  I usually install the Cake stuff w/  the default settings.  It is the third party stuff that is hard, and I put that into the VST folder.  It is hard for me to remember how P5 works, since I install SONAR first and it finds the VSTs.  But P5 should be able to, even if it is a manual operation.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    gothic909
    Re:If i have to rebuild my pc....will i be able to open my old projects? 2010/07/23 05:36:34 (permalink)
    my computer crashed last year...lost everything, but I was able to get back to work because I had my projects backed up on DVDs and CDs.  Project 5 is rather stable when it comes to going from one computer system to a new one.   A product of the crash, I ended up making some of the best music i've ever made.   Struggle leads to beauty?  Turned a negative into a positive ; ).  Just have everything backed up, and hope no greedy hacker tries to screw up your hard drive.  Buying parts and rebuilding a new pc is no fun, and makes me want to wage a massive strategic war with evil doers ; ) + make more fine music.
    post edited by gothic909 - 2010/07/23 05:39:40
    diffracted
    Re:If i have to rebuild my pc....will i be able to open my old projects? 2010/07/23 10:53:35 (permalink)
    gothic909

Buying parts and rebuilding a new pc is no fun

Yes it is!

Unless you're broke at the time. Then it's no fun.
    crabtwins
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:If i have to rebuild my pc....will i be able to open my old projects? 2010/07/27 14:51:48 (permalink)
    thanks guys....

I suppose i could clone it but i would have to figure out how.......
    I agree with someone that said each iteration of a new pc is an opportunity to clean up/reinvent my file strategy and organization.

I am glad to hear that itll find the vsts... thats probably what the wrapper is for.
    strom32
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    Re:If i have to rebuild my pc....will i be able to open my old projects? 2010/10/08 21:42:30 (permalink)
    For XP cloning I use xxclone - its free
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1