If you're wondering why your MIDI keyboard can't change the banks of your VSTs in SONAR

Author
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
2013/10/25 09:31:40 (permalink)

If you're wondering why your MIDI keyboard can't change the banks of your VSTs in SONAR

It's been a mystery for me why I can change banks of VSTi's like Z3TA+2 and Korg Legacy Collection ONLY when they are used as standalone applications or loaded in other hosts (I tested them in Studio One 2 and Digital Performer 8), and why I have no problem changing banks of DXi Synth TTS-1 in Sonar, using a knob or button on my A-800Pro.

But today I received a reply from CW tech support, which I've been waiting for a long time.
And I now know why these VSTs failed to receive bank select messages from my keyboard when used in Sonar.

Here's their reply:

"I investigated your case both on my own and with our developer who specializes in SONAR's VST capabilities. I found that Bank Select messages from your A-800PRO keyboard are ignored by Z3TA+ 2 due to the way SONAR transmits the CC message to a VSTi. SONAR handles Bank Select messages as part of the Patch Change message (which you've surely seen in the Event List). This Patch Change + Bank Select message is passed to a VSTi and leaves the VSTi to interpret it.

You probably found in the Bank menu of a MIDI track in the Inspector that the only available option for Z3TA+ 2 is "0-bank 0." The Z3TA+ 2 VSTi does not expose its banks to SONAR. When Z3TA+ 2 receives a Patch Change + Bank Select message from SONAR, the bank select data are translated into this Bank 0. This explains why all Bank Select messages that I sent to Z3TA+ 2 from my APro keyboard set Z3TA+ 2's bank to the very first one.
I expect that your other VSTi synths expose a similarly small number of Banks to SONAR since their behavior is the same.

The TTS-1 is a DirectX General MIDI synth, and exposes several banks to SONAR. Version 1 of z3ta+ exposes four banks, which explains why it received bank select messages.

I will submit a feature request on your behalf so Z3TA+ 2 or SONAR might accommodate Bank Select messages more flexibly in the future."

Hope that helps

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)

1 Reply Related Threads

jeekem
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: If you're wondering why your MIDI keyboard can't change the banks of your VSTs in SONA 2013/10/25 22:21:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing this.  All this time I thought I was just incompetent.  Thank you Sonar for helping to crush my self esteem.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1