vinny199
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2005/06/19 08:03:53 (permalink)

I'm baffled! general help needed pls.

Hi,

I'm quite confused with a few things

Don't get me wrong.
I am starting to really enjoy this software. It is very cool.
I fel it will be a very useful tool both live and to work on our second album.

however, some stuff really baffles me, and would like to know more.

It basically relates to the general settings and organisation options of the software:

1/ when I save a project using "save as", a new project audio folder is created, copying all the audio in duplicate from the previous audio folder.

Why?????

does it mean if I work on a tune called "tune 1" and want to save it as "tune 1b" in order to compare the two arrangements, I have to duplicate all the audio data on my drive?
That would be crazy, as most tunes, I "save as" around 20 times so I can revert back to previous version

am I missing something? can i switch this feature off?

2/ Is there a way, when you import an audio file from another folder on my drive that it gets copiued instantly in the audio folder of the project (as sonar does) so all the audio used in one song is in one folder only. It would also avoid doing some destruvtive editing to an audio file that could be used in another song.

3/ why oh why? I would love to understand the following:

When i open a midi file ( which on my ARRANGE pane starts at bar 50 and finishes at bar 60) into the editor pane, the bar display in the editor pane does not match the bars in the arrange pane!!! how come? it seems to open every midi file in the editor starting at bar 1.
This is very confusing.

again, am I missing something? or this is how p5 deals with files in the editor (that would be really silly and a source of constant confusion on larger projects)

4/ How doe P5 attributes colors to parts?
Is it random?
if so why?
Does it follow any kind of logic?
Can we color a part the way we like?
I cannot see as paint tool of any kind, which feels like an bit of a strange ommission
Why should a software attributes colors to parts on its own? what good is there in that?
if the user can group his drums / bass / vox / synth etc under set color codes, it really helps the workflow.
(well, it helps mine for sure)

5/ is there a way to set up loop point without dragging these loop cursor start and end points? i could not just create a loop by dragging the mouse in the timeline.
Does anyone as a quicker way to set up loop points instead of each time having to locate your previous loop points and dragging them one by one to the new place?

I know this may sound picky stuff, but it is very relevant to me in terms of workflow and getting things done quickly and without major headache.

Thanks for your help,

post edited by vinny199 - 2005/06/19 08:20:10

Cheers,

Vinny
http://www.vinnypiana.co.uk/

X1d expanded
PC i7, win 7 x64, 2.8 ghz; 12 gig ram
Motu ultralite (firewire)

18 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 10:03:43 (permalink)
    1/ when I save a project using "save as", a new project audio folder is created, copying all the audio in duplicate from the previous audio folder.

Why?????

Because you might want to tweak that audio in two totally different ways. Keep in mind that the audio from bounced and frozen tracks is in that audio folder, together with the recorded-from-input audio.

does it mean if I work on a tune called "tune 1" and want to save it as "tune 1b" in order to compare the two arrangements, I have to duplicate all the audio data on my drive?
    That would be crazy, as most tunes, I "save as" around 20 times so I can revert back to previous version

Again, the only way you can really 'revert back' to your previous version is by keeping the audio of the previous version, right? In case you do -not- need this audio (as it's the result of rearranged freeze operations or bounces), my suggestion is just to copy the .p5p file and open the new one. On opening, you'll be able to reselect the audio clips you want to share for move/copy to the new project audio folder, or simply skip them all.

2/ Is there a way, when you import an audio file from another folder on my drive that it gets copiued instantly in the audio folder of the project (as sonar does) so all the audio used in one song is in one folder only. It would also avoid doing some destruvtive editing to an audio file that could be used in another song.

Yes. That's precisely what happens everytime you import an audio file to your project, and for the reason you detail.

3/ why oh why? I would love to understand the following:

When i open a midi file ( which on my ARRANGE pane starts at bar 50 and finishes at bar 60) into the editor pane, the bar display in the editor pane does not match the bars in the arrange pane!!! how come? it seems to open every midi file in the editor starting at bar 1.
    This is very confusing

Clip vs. Linear never-ending debate. Check my answer in the other thread.

4/ How doe P5 attributes colors to parts?
    Is it random?
    if so why?
    Does it follow any kind of logic?

I don't know if it's random or it follows some complex logic, perhaps Nick can enlighten us. I know that we can't color a part ourselves... too bad, as I'm a painter as well.

-René
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 11:01:53 (permalink)
    can i switch this feature off?
    There's a sticky toggle at the bottom of the Save As dialog.
    There was a bit of a debate about this a while back. The coloring scheme seems random, yet it cycles back at one point. Someone speculated a cycle of 16 distinct colors; unverified. The sequence seems to get locked in when you Save As Template.

About all you can do is change the line UsePatColors=1 in the Project5.ini file to =0, and save the file before launch. That'll give you a single color for all patterns. I've tried some ways to lock in a specific color. All I can say is that a New project (from the "internal" template) seems to favor red.
    vinny199
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 11:55:54 (permalink)
    ok.
    thanks for that, that is helpful.

I can understand the reason for the midi files being opened as a groove thingy in the editor, and not in a linear way, like a traditional sequence. I can see the logic and will adapt to it.

For the file copying to the folders on import (and apologies if I'm wrong as I am not infront of P5 right now) but it seemed that when inporting a groove or converting a wav to a groove clip, that yes, this groove was added to the audio project folder. but when you simply use file > import and add an audio file in the arrange pane, I could not see this file in the audio project folder. Maybe i got that wrong, I'll try again.

Again, the only way you can really 'revert back' to your previous version is by keeping the audio of the previous version, right? In case you do -not- need this audio (as it's the result of rearranged freeze operations or bounces), my suggestion is just to copy the .p5p file and open the new one. On opening, you'll be able to reselect the audio clips you want to share for move/copy to the new project audio folder, or simply skip them all.

Yes, of course. but what when you are happy with your audio but you just work on the overall arrangement of your song?
    You may not need to touch up any audio, but try various arrangements of your track, right? I do, and also to compare levels at mixdown etc? that is a problem really. Having said that, I know I won't "seriously" mix using p5, but for playing with various arrangements options, this is not ideal really. anyway, another thing to get used to i guess.

I don't know if it's random or it follows some complex logic, perhaps Nick can enlighten us. I know that we can't color a part ourselves... too bad, as I'm a painter as well.

There was a bit of a debate about this a while back. The coloring scheme seems random, yet it cycles back at one point. Someone speculated a cycle of 16 distinct colors; unverified. The sequence seems to get locked in when you Save As Template.

About all you can do is change the line UsePatColors=1 in the Project5.ini file to =0, and save the file before launch. That'll give you a single color for all patterns. I've tried some ways to lock in a specific color. All I can say is that a New project (from the "internal" template) seems to favor red.

Humm.. so a cakewalk developer would go to great length to develop a random coloring scheme noone can understand or alter in anyway, when little simple paint tools have been around for 10 years or so on most audio / midi software, and are largely accepted by users as a good tool to have...that makes sense...

thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 12:25:17 (permalink)
    go to great length to develop a random coloring scheme noone can understand or alter in anyway
    Sometimes you just have to "surrender to the exercise", Vinny. <g>
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 12:57:27 (permalink)
    Well be grateful Vinny, at least you can label the parts in P5...in Reason, you just have randomly coloured parts with no labelling whatsoever

5/ is there a way to set up loop point without dragging these loop cursor start and end points? i could not just create a loop by dragging the mouse in the timeline.

Don't think anyone has answered this yet...

Clip on an audio or midi clip that covers the area you want to loop and then click on the icon to the right of the loop icon in the top right of the P5 window...the locaters will be moved to the appropriate place.
    MysticMizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 13:52:49 (permalink)
    Does anyone as a quicker way to set up loop points instead of each time having to locate your previous loop points and dragging them one by one to the new place?

Not sure if anyone answered this yet...but yes there is.

First enable the loop button. This will bring up the markers. Next select a clip in your song that matches the timeline you want to loop over (it can be any clip in any track) and click on "set loop points" the loop points will magically set themselves to the begining and end of that clip.

NEVERODDOREVEN
    René
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 13:57:03 (permalink)
    Humm.. so a cakewalk developer would go to great length to develop a random coloring scheme noone can understand or alter in anyway, when little simple paint tools have been around for 10 years or so on most audio / midi software, and are largely accepted by users as a good tool to have...that makes sense...

I don't think it's required to go to great length to develop a random coloring scheme, that was already there since the first P5 version, and it's also there in most audio / midi software. Most sequencers will assign a color automatically to every new clip you create, as Project 5 does, I don't see anything rare there. Some sequencers will -additionally- offer the chance of select the color for it, some others will not. Project 5 is in the latter group for now.

Generally speaking, you will not find Project 5 as one of those applications with a multiple-pages-stuffed-with-checkboxes dialog. There're many aspects of the program which cannot be customized, and therefore will require us to slightly adapt ourselves to get the most out of it. If an application still be simple, efficient and productive while allowing the user to customize it 100% is an ongoing debate with spikes in both sides and no conclusive answer unfortunately.

On the other hand, after the adaptation period (I come into P5 from Sonar, so the option-abstinence-crisis was really hard), I've found it to be really rewarding. The idea-to-track latency of Project 5 is just impossible to beat.

-René
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 14:30:07 (permalink)
    If an application still be simple, efficient and productive while allowing the user to customize it 100% is an ongoing debate with spikes in both sides and no conclusive answer unfortunately.

exactly, this has been ongoing since software began to be developed for widespread use.
    vinny199
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 14:47:44 (permalink)
    Take it easy guys.

i wasn't seriously criticising p5 & cakewalk.

I'll repeat what I said at the very top of my first thread:

I'm quite confused with a few things

Don't get me wrong.
    I am starting to really enjoy this software. It is very cool.

I know it is based around a "unique window" and is meant to be as bare and efficient as possible.

As i said, and as you rightly suggest, I'm addapting to it. no problem.
    And i'm grateful for the time you take ansering my stuff.

But nevertheless, I find cakewalk to overall make some strange choices at times, like how long did it take them to include a proper metronome as standard in their flagship sequencer? well, the paint bucket is just the same thing really. I have a feeling that eventually they will recognised that tthese simple things are standard, rather than extras (funny sonar doesn't have that either, does it?). no need to add extra pages etc.

Anyway, no big deal.

First enable the loop button. This will bring up the markers. Next select a clip in your song that matches the timeline you want to loop over (it can be any clip in any track) and click on "set loop points" the loop points will magically set themselves to the begining and end of that clip.

thanks for that! I thought there had to be a better way. Couldn't figure out how though or find a reference to it anywhere.

Sometimes you just have to "surrender to the exercise", Vinny.

Yes mate, I know.
    Thanks for visiting the website.
    I actually put the link in my signature as google caches these pages from time to time. it doesn't hurt a link to the website is in there when they do.

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    René
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 14:58:12 (permalink)
    But nevertheless, I find cakewalk to overall make some strange choices at times, like how long did it take them to include a proper metronome as standard in their flagship sequencer? well, the paint bucket is just the same thing really. I have a feeling that eventually they will recognised that tthese simple things are standard, rather than extras (funny sonar doesn't have that either, does it?). no need to add extra pages etc.

Sonar will let you change the clips colors at least, though no paint bucket. BTW, and due I honestly don't know... what competing audio applications include a paint bucket for clips? Do you see it really as a 'standard'?

-René
    xylyx
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 15:03:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MysticMizer

Not sure if anyone answered this yet...

Sorry to be picky, but I had answered in the post just above yours an hour earlier...no big deal!

And just to be a little pickier still...you don't need to enable loop first...just choose the clip, click the Set Loop Points button and it will enable the Loop button automatically.

(MM: hope you don't take offence or anything, as that wasn't my intention)
    MysticMizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 15:09:17 (permalink)
    And just to be a little pickier still...you don't need to enable loop first...just choose the clip, click the Set Loop Points button and it will enable the Loop button automatically.

Sorry must have just glossed over your post without actually reading it.

That's good to know...you saved me a click.

NEVERODDOREVEN
    vinny199
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 15:20:41 (permalink)
    Sonar will let you change the clips colors at least, though no paint bucket. BTW, and due I honestly don't know... what competing audio applications include a paint bucket for clips? Do you see it really as a 'standard'?

"paint bucket" might not be the exact words i should have used. but usually speaking, "clip coloring & track coloring" logic and cubase, sonar now offer this. logic and cubase with a simple "color tool". haven't used pro tools in ages, but i think it does too.
    so yes, since these sequencers are pretty much the standard in the UK, I've come to think of the clip colring fuction as standard. I got used to splitting my vocals/ drums/ guitars / bass / synth etc around color codes and believe me it makes it SO MUCH EASIER when you look at your page to instantly see the overal arrangement of the track.

(and before you say it: YES, I realize p5 is not a traditional sequencer, it is a clip thingy, but nevertheless, the arrange pane bears all resemblance to a sequencer)

That is something i really miss, but again, of course I'll adapt to it.

the more i use p5(only a few days) the more I see what i can do with it:

It is a great scratch pad to put some new ideas down, has some great sounds, arpegiators, patterns etc.

but it cannot "replace" complety a traditional sequencer when it comes to really nailing a track down with a good mix etc.

which is fair enough. for its price, it is an amazing piece of software, in fact regardless of its price, it is an amazing software.

the way I work, i spend ages on various possible arrangements (and this "save as" functiion that copies the entire audio folder again is a real bother to me) and usually end up with around 50 tracks of audio to choose from, around 40 usually go in the final mix.

so i'm not "****ing" about the software, I'm just learning it and finding its limitations (as well as its unique features)

post edited by vinny199 - 2005/06/19 15:26:36

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    vinny199
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 15:21:57 (permalink)
    Sorry to be picky, but I had answered in the post just above yours an hour earlier...no big deal!

sorry, sorry. thanks again

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    xylyx
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 15:46:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: vinny199

the way I work, i spend ages on various possible arrangements (and this "save as" functiion that copies the entire audio folder again is a real bother to me) and usually end up with around 50 tracks of audio to choose from, around 40 usually go in the final mix.

Just to point you to something Tom (b rock) said about this...on the Save As dialog, there is a check box at the bottom that says 'Save Audio into new folder'...uncheck this and you will not get a new audio folder with each Save As...
    vinny199
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 16:00:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for reminding me.
    I havent been infront of p5 yet today since these repplies came in. but as soon as i get home, Ill re-read all the advice carefully and inplement it all.

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    René
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 16:27:40 (permalink)
    "paint bucket" might not be the exact words i should have used. but usually speaking, "clip coloring & track coloring" logic and cubase, sonar now offer this. logic and cubase with a simple "color tool". haven't used pro tools in ages, but i think it does too.
    so yes, since these sequencers are pretty much the standard in the UK, I've come to think of the clip colring fuction as standard. I got used to splitting my vocals/ drums/ guitars / bass / synth etc around color codes and believe me it makes it SO MUCH EASIER when you look at your page to instantly see the overal arrangement of the track.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Logic/Cubase/Sonar are generally considered 'full daw' packages, and therefore they have approximately the same feature set all over. OTOH, in the 'right brain league' (Project 5, Reason, Live, FLStudio, Orion, Tracktion, etc.) the feature set is much more relaxed, though more and more people are starting to use those as 'content generators'. I guess the future will move both groups to some common ground... then there will be room for the yet another one, and so on

Once again: you don't need to have those audio tracks copied, unless you process that audio differently. If you already have the arrangement projects saved, and you are sure that the audio material is common, you can safely delete the audio folders for the copies and select the clips from the first audio project on opening (Project 5 will ask you for the missing clips). Subsequent copies can be linked by unchecking the 'Save As... ' option to create a new folder.

-René
    vinny199
    RE: I'm baffled! general help needed pls. 2005/06/19 16:49:33 (permalink)
    though more and more people are starting to use those as 'content generators'. I guess the future will move both groups to some common ground... then there will be room for the yet another one, and so on

exactly. this is why i bought p5.
    After so many years of using a traditional sequencer I tried all the new software you mentioned. Live was good but too far away from what i need. Reason, I didn't like it at all. can't use a software that won't let me use my favorite vst instruments and effects.
    but somehow p5 seem to be a cross over between all these and feels very good to use as a creative tool.

So, I'm having a go...

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1