I'm scared - my first song post!

Author
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
2005/01/15 12:45:23 (permalink)

I'm scared - my first song post!

Well I finished my first song in over 10 years. You will probably tell right from the start two things, I have no business singing, and the song is just a simple thing without much work. But since I wrote it for my wife and she seems to like it, I guess it wasn't a total waste of time.

However, I am interested in feedback concerning the mixing and mastering, which is something I seem to be really struggling with. After listening to it a hundred times and making countless tweaks, I still can't get it to have that finished, polished sound that everyone else seems to have.

Please be gentle with me!

EDIT: Here is a link to version 2, with some of the suggestions I've gotten incorporated into it. Renee's Song v.2
< Message edited by Leee -- 1/19/2005 9:31:27 PM >

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.

22 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 13:20:27 (permalink)
    hi leee,
    alright! .. gets easier after the first one ..
    my only comments ... organ is too up in the left
    channel .. is the bass a bass or a synth? .. i wish
    it had more definition on the attack. the vox has
    lotso verb .. i'd cut that back and bring it more center
    channel and up. the lyrics at 2:46 i'm not sure about
    at all .. maybe you could post 'em and i can see
    how it fits together ...

other than that ... i liked it.. finished right on 4:00 ;-)

jeff
    Rasmuth
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 13:40:47 (permalink)
    very nice first effort....and jmarkham is correct they do get easier as you become more comfortable with the process...though you find yourself wanting a higher standard.

I just finished my 2nd recording and the improvement was very noticable...even to me.

Like the guitar solo and your vocals are good...I like your sound.
    Decent mix for the first time out.

Keep on working...I hope to hear more from you.

Can you tell us more about your setup...what you are using?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=250426

Everyone has a song inside, some of us choose to let it out.
    foomonkey
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 14:40:31 (permalink)
    I liked the song. As a guitar player myself, I have to gripe about the guitar sound. Lemme guess, you ran it direct, right? IMHO, you just can't get a decent tone running direct. Sure, maybe with one of those magic pod's or something but for me, SM57 in front of a tube amp is the best. Otherwise it was good.

Good luck with the next one!

Andy

Andy Pierce
    http://www.andypierce.com

Cakewalk Homestudio 2004 XL
    M-Audio Omnistudio USB
    M-Audio Luna
    Shure SM-58's (2)
    Leee
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 14:40:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

I'm using Home Studio and everything is coming from soft synths and samples, including Edirol VSC (for the accoustic bass), Sonic Implants Accoustic guitars and BlueJay drums, Native Instruments B4 (hammond) .
    I'm plugging my Roland DR-20 Microphone into a Yamaha MT3X four track recorder (using that as a preamp) which is connected to my Creative Audigy 2 soundcard.

As I said, I can't really put my finger on it, but the end result seems to be missing that finished sound I am hearing from other's work. I thought maybe it was the compression, which I am using in the final mix. The only thing I can really hear it doing is just cutting back the volume when my vocals get a little too loud. I don't really hear it doing anything for the overall sound.

Also in the latest mix, I turned up the low end EQ of the bass a bit, which is perhaps why it sounds a little muddy.

Jeff, the lyrics you are asking about are I believe from the third verse:
    I learned the beauty of your wisdom
    And saw the truth behind your sad smile
    I took shelter in your dreamer's optimism
    I gave strength to your frightened inner child.

Thanks again for your comments, I really appreciate it!
    Leee
    < Message edited by Leee -- 1/15/2005 12:45:12 PM >

Lee Shapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
    Leee
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 14:49:14 (permalink)
    Hey Andy,
    Which guitar are you talking about, the accoustic rhythm or the lead?
    The accoustic is from a Sonic Implants soundfont, played on my keyboard. (I really like this soundfont because it has up and downstrokes sounds , so you can get that strumming sound by playing two octaves back and forth on the keyboard...not bad for a non-guitarist) The lead guitar is just from Edirol VSC using the much dreaded AmpSim.
    < Message edited by Leee -- 1/15/2005 11:57:35 AM >

Lee Shapiro

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 15:09:07 (permalink)
    whoa .. those are some heady lyrics ... i'd simplify 'em
    so the pin heads like me will get it. and the country fans might
    even get it too ( duck! ).

on the bass .. i would say, maybe the fingered rather than fretless
    bass would punch it up a bit and define it more .. it is a bit
    muddy .. it sounds counter-intuitive .. but sometimes EQ'ing higher
    up will bring the bass out more in a mix than punching low. it
    certainly will define the attack/pluck more.

there's a thing that chaz posted a while back
    that i think would be a big help to you if you
    go through the steps ... at least you have a plan of how to
    approach the mix. check it out .. How to mix a pop song from scratch

I think the only thing that might be a little dated is the usage of noise
    gates to clean up tracks.. most audio engineers i see now-a-days
    are using either automation envelopes or cutting the junk out by hand ..
    it's so much more controllable than gates. gates are still useful for other things
    he talks about though. oh .. and i haven't heard a
    timecode track in years ....

jeff
    < Message edited by jmarkham -- 1/15/2005 12:58:12 PM >
    BoomTown
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 15:29:18 (permalink)
    I really dig the groove of the tune, and the idea you're getting at. I'd just be echoing what others with more insight have said if I were to discuss the mixing, which unfortunately, limits a very cool tune. Also, that guitar solo is begging for a tube amp. But, congrats man, the chorus is singable, and catchy, its a nice groove.

The zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, but a doughnut with no hole, is a danish."
    Leee
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 15:42:07 (permalink)
    Thanks again.
    And thanks Jeff (and Chaz for posting) for pointing me to that mixing tutorial. I'm printing it off right now!

Lee Shapiro

den121961
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 19:11:52 (permalink)
    I thought this was very good for a first attempt. You also have more guts than I do using Ederol as a guitarist, especially lead! I used the jazz guitar patch on my latest, but it was only way in the background stuff.
    One thing I did notice was that the instruments all seemed to have a definite pan point, and it sounded a bit artificial as far as a soundstage goes. SOmetimes a little digital reverb blurs those boundaries a bit and makes it sound a little more "live" sounding.
    I also agree the vocals were way in the back. It's scary to put your voice up front though, kind of like standing naked in front of a magnifying glass. But I thought on the whole this was pretty darned good for a first one.

Den
    Leee
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 19:48:33 (permalink)
    Thanks Den. Any suggestions of what to use for a lead guitar sound - I mentioned in a several previous posts that I am looking for that Santana, sustained, overdrive type of sound. I've purchased and downloaded several soundfonts, but I've yet to be totally happy with anything I've found so far.

Lee Shapiro

den121961
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/15 19:59:14 (permalink)
    Leee, only one. Collab with a guitarist. I honestly don't think there's any way to get a real good guitar sound out of keyboards. I've only heard one guy come close in all my years of synth programming, and he did it with a yamaha motif, but he spent hours getting the pitch bends and the feedback effects down. I think it's more in playing technique than the sound, and there are some things that are undoable when a pitch bend wheem bends everything at the same time, where 6 independent strings will give you a totally different sound with distortion.
    COllabs are pretty much fun and pretty easy to do by just sending MP3's and inserting them in your cakewalk.

Den
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/16 01:18:21 (permalink)
    Leeeeeee, <g> will check back in a little later-got an appointment, but wanted to say welcome and the feel is there-the drums groove. I only listened on my Sony TR3 (tiny tiny speakers) because I didn't want to miss you. The main thing to me is the voice buried in the back with a lot of reverb and the percussion on the organ. In my experience the percussion is used for jazz solos (Brian Auger, Jimmy Smith, Groove Holmes, De Francesco, etc.) and get get a little demanding on a pop/blues type of thing. I will look more into it later, but the groove got me right off. Those Blue Jay Drums were worth the investment huh?

Michael
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/16 01:21:41 (permalink)
    I am looking for that Santana, sustained,

there's a Mexican, Spanish looking guy named Carlos that plays really well. Seriously, I have to agree with den on this one. THe only time I've used guitar from a keyboard is the Hans Zimmer nylon and that was just doing arpeggios to fill out the back. Even my guitarist liked it. But the rest, I don't think there is any faking. You'll thank yourself for it in 5 years.

Michael
    Leee
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/16 11:41:21 (permalink)
    I've uploaded Version 2 with some of the previous suggestions I've received about mixing. Thanks!

ORIGINAL: den121961

Leee, only one. Collab with a guitarist....

I know all you guitarists will be upset with this, but I feel if guitarists can use MIDI instruments to make their guitars sound like flutes, trumpets, etc. I should be able to make my keyboard sound like a guitar if I want to!

And I also realize a real guitarist can spot the imitation a mile away, but I don't think most non-musicians would notice the difference. Besides, given the choice of listening to me try to play a solo on a real guitar or on a keyboard, most people would chose the keyboard.

I like to play my own parts, HOWEVER there is definitely something to be said about collaborating, I agree. I would love to hear my songs sung by a really great vocalist.

Thanks again for the feedback! (advice that is, not electronic screetching)
    < Message edited by Leee -- 1/16/2005 10:27:42 AM >

Lee Shapiro

6stringsat100mph
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1385
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/16 17:08:07 (permalink)
    Nice work leeee....You have broken that nerve barrier and that is good. No time for wasting on issues that have no bearing on what your song will ultimately sound like. Leee remember, through the kind and generous support you will always recieve here you CAN get your songs sounding great.
    OK so a bit of a tough job for me here to comment on what I am about to, so please understand it comes from my desire to be honest and offer suggestions that will ultimately be of some good.
    Your singing. It has emotion and is acceptable in its delivery,however you might want to (just like alot of folks do including myself) look into auto tune. It takes some people years to get the pitch thing down and with technology as it is we may as well use it. You are a bit out of pitch throughout. No big problem it can be corrected without auto-tune in time, but for now, well you may want to have a look at antares. They are the creators of useable pitch correction software.
    Very nice otherwise and I cant believe the acoustic guitar sounds are so real sounding. Kudos with this ability.
    All the best.....now lets get some more up..
    Mark
    Leee
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/16 17:30:48 (permalink)
    Mark, there is NOTHING you can say about my singing that will upset me. I'm my own worst critic, likening myself to Yoko Ono on downers.

By you saying it has emotion and is acceptable in its delivery is quite a compliment to me. And yes I am seriously considering getting auto tune as my very next purchase. Hopefully by the time I ready to record my next song, I'll have it!

Thanks for your feedback!

Lee Shapiro

rolo95
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1607
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/16 17:43:49 (permalink)
    Leee

i dont hear all the song as im bsy...but...
    let me tell you some.....

you are the one or the few ones newcomers that make a proper
    fade out.....

You EARN the 2 thumbs UP for that....
    on the Reverb side....i think that its subjective....
    if you like it leave it that way....

i was listening to WHAM "wake me up befor you go" and
    mannnnnnnn.....that was recorded with i think excesively verb on the VOX...
    but so what.... its WHAM....nobody blame them.... well in the 80's

i think that today standards are more STRICT on the VERB area...... but anyway
    if the top 40 dudes.....do this or that...why we dont...

USE your creativity and use whatever you like....its your music....
    its your feeling...its your soul...

Greets
    ROlo.
    < Message edited by rolo95 -- 1/16/2005 4:51:54 PM >

-----------------------------------------------------
    THERE IS NO POWER Without KNOWLEDGE !!!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Leee
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/16 18:24:30 (permalink)
    Thanks rolo, I can't really take credit on the fade out, I use Vegas (the video editing software, which also does audio) and it's just a simple click and drag audio fade. I personally thought it dropped too quickly at the very end, I would have liked it to linger just a little longer. Ah well, no big deal.

Lee Shapiro

brendantownsend
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 279
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/16 18:44:40 (permalink)
    Hi Lee

Welcome to the fold.

No need to be scared about posting your new material here. I am a new member myself (joined only a couple of days ago) and like yourself I posted my first orchestration shortly after joining. I listened to your song and, as said before, the feeling's there. My humble offerings are generally two-fold.

IMHO...

1. Lift the rhythm guitar a bit, and tone down the bass slightly. I believe that will help fill the void and keep that rhythmic undertone which is probably lacking a little.

2. Try a bit of pitch bend on the lead, including double-notes or note harmonies. Also, don't be shy about exploring the whole "neck" - and drop down occasionally to the lower frets and work up or down, it will make it more interesting to your listeners. You shouldn't over-doo it though for fear of sounding like a frustrated rock lead guitarist!

Unlike the cold competitive "big bad world", you'll find a very supportive musician community here that kindly provide a wealth of expertise and friendly advice. We all know what it's like starting out and we're ALL learning all of the time from each other. That's what these forums are all about.

Good effort Lee, and very best of luck with your compositions and performances that will definitely develop with the help of others here.

Very best wishes,

Brendan.

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    foomonkey
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/16 21:18:07 (permalink)
    wow! all the guitars are really keyboards? that's pretty cool. However, as a guitarist, I have to say, I'd rather hear a real guitar.

still, it is a good song and you have done a nice job so far. keep at it!

andy

Andy Pierce
    http://www.andypierce.com

Cakewalk Homestudio 2004 XL
    M-Audio Omnistudio USB
    M-Audio Luna
    Shure SM-58's (2)
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/16 21:46:49 (permalink)
    a couple things i noticed:

too much verb on the vocal, and probably too much in the mid-low frequencies. a cut around 100-200hz might help bring it out more, but i'm not an eq expert (yet) so you might want to try dipping anywhere between that and 800-900 and seeing if it brings out the mid/high of the vocal more. it really depends on the voice. also, once this is done, the vocal may not cover the other instruments, espcially the drums, as much.

the instruments seem "small". of course they are samples so it can be harder to get a large sound out them. the other side of that is that it seems to fit the style. i really like the simplicity of the song, has a vibe to it that is really cool. the lead guitar isn't very convincing though, but sampled stuff never is.

the composition itself is really good. i've been working on recording one of my songs for about seven years now, and it's about to go through its final home recording (now that i can do 24bit). between that time i've learned a lot of stuff and a good portion of it has been here. the guys here know their stuff and they're generally careful to let you know what's up in a nice way. =)

- jack the ex-cynic
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: I'm scared - my first song post! 2005/01/17 15:02:29 (permalink)
    Wow first song? Man I posted my first song a few weeks back and this is so smooth and well produced in comparison to mine. I di dnot read the other posts so forgive if there is repitition.

Things I liked:

1. The Bass melody line, very catchy.
    2. The song as a whole, catchy and melodic.

Things I did not like.

1. Drum loop very repetititve, especially the hi-hat.
    2. Reg guitar tone, a bit thin, screechy sounding.

Cheers

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1