Helpful ReplyI'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC".

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
David W. Ganem
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2018/01/27 20:27:11 (permalink)

I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC".

Any feedback from other Cakewalk users?
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/29 15:53:15 (permalink)
If you plan to spend that much, I would just let Jim Roseberry build you one.  That way you get support and a fine machine.
http://www.studiocat.com/opencart2/

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/29 16:32:56 (permalink)
No matter what you choose here are a few things plain as the nose on your face yet often overlooked when buying a "silent PC"
As I sit in my office typing on a Thinkcentre IBM PC i5 cpu. I hear NOTHING. It's sitting right on my desk. This is a run of the mill office PC. My point being that many computers not sold to be silent are indeed silent.
Recording in the same space with a nominally noisy computer with lowl fan noise is easily tolerable using a  microphone with a cardoid polar pattern if it isn't pointed at the noise. You might hear the noise with your ears, but now put on a pair of mixing headphones. Now what do you hear? That's what will be in the recording. In most cases it won't be heard unless you have the input levels too high.

Occasionally a computer builder will use flimsy cheap fans which are noisier. These are easy to change.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/29 17:19:34 (permalink)
Yeah pretty much what I do, buy off shelf and customize later over time with slow upgrades.. every 7-8 years or so the computer slowly becomes a new one in stages, or sometimes I just get a new one and start from scratch. Regardless I take my time, something noisy I replace, something too slow (or incompatible) for modern software I am using I replace... Slowly slowly.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/29 18:34:45 (permalink)
My computer is fairly quiet with the stock Intel cooler and some good quality case fans, that are RPM controlled by the system.  I don't overclock and my CPU rarely runs full throttle, so heat is usually not an issue.

Always build with a quality power supply and fans.  If your system came with generic fans, that's a good thing to upgrade.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
David W. Ganem
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 04:19:35 (permalink)
Thanks all for your feedback thus far. I feel the need to clarify my pitch. I am specifically interested in knowing if there are any Cakewalk users out there that have any experience with, or own a PC from "Silent PC". I am much more concerned about having a PC for my DAW that will perform when I need it to than I am about how silent the fans are. Although, I do realize that quiet is a good thing when recording (I'm not a total idiot). What I am, is poor. Poor, but very resourceful. The fact that I have managed to assemble my present DAW is quite an accomplishment. I started with a hand me down PC (HP m9300t CTO 32 bit Windows Vista) and without the help from my "go to guy for tech support" I modified it to 64 bit so I could up the RAM to 8 gigs. Upon said modifications I immediately lost all support from HP for drivers. Thanks HP! I couldn't afford an OS, so I opted for the Windows 10 Technical Preview, and when it came down to choosing what software I'd build my world around, I couldn't afford ProTools, so I went with a household name "Cakewalk" (thank you very much Gibson Brands). My sister started me off with SONAR Professional as a combined Birthday/ X-mas gift, and I bought my way up to "Platinum" with lifetime updates. Not only did I have no driver support from HP, when it came down to any issues with software, both Microsoft and Cakewalk could only speak in hypotheticals. It isn't lost on me, that for one such as myself who had never actually bought a new computer, rather, built one using parts I cannibalized from computers other people threw out, at least for once, my OS and software are/were not legacy. I'm still using the HP.

My System: HP Pavillion m9300t CTO (modified) w/ Intel Core 2 Quad 2.67 GHz 64 bit 8 GB RAM 250 GB SSD, 128 GB SSD and 3 TB external drive, Radeon R7 250x w/ 3 monitors. Windows 10 Professional and SONAR Platinum, Denon AVR X2300W (7.1) JBL front and sub with Polk as surround,  and two old but reliable Sennheiser headphones.

But time marches on. So far, I've managed to turn every hardware failure into a decent upgrade. But it is time for a new PC. I will have help again from my sister (another combined Birthday/ X-mas gift) but I am still poor. I am in the researching phase. I will conduct my research very carefully. Not just because I love my DAW. Not just because I realize how important it is. Both of these things are true. But mostly because if I make the wrong choice I'll be stuck with it. I really wont be able to run out and buy something different. So far, what I've been looking at i7 16 GB (expandable to 64) support for three monitors, in the range of $1,200 to $1,600 seems to be the gaming PCs. Although I really dig the RGB lighted fans and the clear side panels so you can see in them, I spend so much time assembling, maintaining, and learning how to use my DAW, I have zero time to play games. From a practical standpoint, just because a gamer PC specs out in the range I mentioned doesn't assure it will perform for recording. So, I have to consider a PC that is built and tested to perform as such. Which brings me to "Silent PC". They are an unknown to me.  So, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has purchased a machine from them. Good or bad.

Thank you to the user who mentioned the builder in Ohio. I will definitely check him out.

*also now with ProTools First, and Ableton 9.
David W. Ganem
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 04:25:09 (permalink)
*also part of my DAW

Focusrite 18i/20, M-audio TFP and Keystation 61es, Fatar SL-990, Roland D-5
abacab
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 04:46:34 (permalink)
Check out PC Part Picker to price out parts for a home built system that meets your specs, then take a look at the custom Studio Cat PCs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

http://studiocat.com/opencart2/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 06:08:42 (permalink)
I just took note of CyberPowerPC recently, only because they are being sold 3rd party. I just was checking builds from them vs pcpartpicker and CyberPowerPC is significantly cheaper (many of theirs are GTX 1070Ti cards, and pcpartpicker is running that card alone for $1000 due to the recent price hikes, but doesn't seem to be affecting CyberPowerPC). CyberPowerPC is also one to email subscribe too, since they run flash sales that are significant, and I Googled coupon codes while researching and the one I found (5% off) took, which was "spring0410" IIRC.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 11:08:40 (permalink)
General PC components are not DAW optimized. Gamers have different requirements. If you want tested with DAW solution and corresponding support, even good companies which target something else (gamers, silence, servers, etc.) are not going to help you. They probably can answer / solve problems with what they know (why something is noisy, why some modern game has less FPS then expected, etc.), but when you ask them about cracks/pops under particular settings in your DAW, the will just reply "hmm.... DAW? is that a new demanding game?"

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
CakeAlexSHere
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 11:19:18 (permalink)
azslow3
General PC components are not DAW optimized. Gamers have different requirements.

Name one motherboard, memory module, graphics card, CPU, case or power supply esp optimized for DAWs in mind by design (hardware or software drivers).

Gamers and DAW systems want low latency as well. The only major difference is DAW environments would be optimized for high graphics resolutions and would avoid stuff like turbo and hyperthreading, or shadow caching (and tuning the power saving).

There are lots of techniques that optimize PC's across the board. Sure you can pay for support if you want but many of us find the internet littered with optimization tips. It's not really the rocket science that the so cold experts would have you believe. Time consuming maybe... but if you are seriously interested in optimizing you will frequently spend the time.
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 14:07:55 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
Gamers and DAW systems want low latency as well. The only major difference is DAW environments would be optimized for high graphics resolutions and would avoid stuff like turbo and hyperthreading, or shadow caching (and tuning the power saving).

On a modern-build DAW, you do NOT want to disable TurboBoost or Hyper-threading... unless you want to sacrifice performance.

One other thing to note, a gamer isn't necessarily as concerned with super low/consistent DPC Latency... as the games they're playing use much larger buffers than say 1.5ms (64-sample ASIO buffer size).
A gamer is also typically MUCH less concerned about noise.
With high 3D frame-rates (advanced games), it's hard to keep higher-end graphics cards silent.  (As is the case with video rendering where all cores are maxed out at 100% and the video card is under heavy load).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
abacab
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 16:00:43 (permalink)
Here is another option:

Custom Tower Desktops
https://www.avadirect.com/custom-pc-tower

Customers who purchased a custom built product from AVADirect are entitled to free technical hardware-related support for the lifetime of their product.

Custom Barebone Desktops
https://www.avadirect.com/custom-barebones-desktops

About AVADirect Custom Barebone Desktops 
What’s the easiest way to build your own custom gaming PC? A barebones PC kit from AVADirect is one of the fastest and most affordable ways to start building and upgrading your own custom PC. Preconfigured with just the case and motherboard, you can finish the build, adding and upgrading your components as you go, whether it’s online with our easy-to-use configurators or on your own, over time.

If you’re looking for more of a DIY project and love to build your own rigs, then an AVADirect barebones PC is the way to go. If this is your first build, your barebones PC is backed by our unsurpassed lifetime technical support, so you can contact one of our knowledgeable sales associates to help you choose the best components to complete your build.

AVADirect offers a variety of high-end components, in every price range, should you be ready to customize your barebones PC. We’re partners with some of the top computer component manufacturers in the industry, in order to offer you all of the available parts on the market.

Are you a gamer looking for performance?? Customize one of our barebones gaming PCs, adding top-of-the-line Intel, AMD and Nvidia components to complete your rig. We offer the newest releases, available day one, so you don’t have to wait.

AVADirect offers a variety of handcrafted barebones PCs for you to customize and make your own. Start building your one-of-a-kind rig and get a solid piece of equipment built to last for years to come.

CakeAlexSHere
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 17:57:13 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere

Jim Roseberry
On a modern-build DAW, you do NOT want to disable TurboBoost or Hyper-threading... unless you want to sacrifice performance.

One other thing to note, a gamer isn't necessarily as concerned with super low/consistent DPC Latency... as the games they're playing use much larger buffers than say 1.5ms (64-sample ASIO buffer size).
With high 3D frame-rates (advanced games), it's hard to keep higher-end graphics cards silent. (As is the case with video rendering where all cores are maxed out at 100% and the video card is under heavy load).

So my posts are being swallowed or deleted for no reason several times.

Anyway firstly hyperthreading can actually cause crackling on some systems and most DAW installations don't actually need it, so unless you are totally obsessed with system power (as you are) it really isn't necessary. There is of course no doubt hyperthreading will work perfectly fine on many system but it's weird that you haven't considered other the scenarios.

"On a modern-build DAW, you do NOT want to disable TurboBoost or Hyper-threading... unless you want to sacrifice performance."

Well modern PC's are powerful enough for most, you don't have to squeeze every last bit out of your environment (a la gamer mentality) and performance can be traded off with reliability (as every overclocking installer should know).

I find it strange you state your motherboards have turbo boost/hyperthreading control as a feature then you say it should be on all the time (desktop PC's can have this feature of course).

Special request.. PLEASE stop posting IN CAPs every so often IT COMES ACROSS like YOU ARE SHOUTING. Also please stop posting as though you have are the last word in PC hardware, your opinions are valuable and right up the top I'm sure.. but not all of us are altogether stupid. I've been building computers professionally since the 90's myself and have worked for some major names. Respect the fact that people can have different opinions to yourself and are qualified to make them. There is no harm in disagreeing JUST STOP DOING THIS. Thx.
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 20:33:07 (permalink)
Sorry I misunderstood the " Silent PC " comment as to the direction you wanted to take David. If you have 1200-1600 to put into a daw then I don't think you're poor. I may have also misunderstood those comments. It appears 
that you are looking in that price range for a computer. 
I don't have direct experience with Silent PC. The only things making noise in a computer are the fans and maybe the hard drive all depending.
Built for recording computers like (Silent PC?) I'm guessing and others are mainly the same basic cpu mobo packages as other higher spec'ed machines with better fans and cases. The optimization is mostly done in the bios. The rest is minor tweaks easily found online. Probably just as important is the audio interface and how you have it set up.
Maybe you know all of this. Probably do. Or maybe this is helpful to someone.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Jim Roseberry
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/30 22:31:58 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
CakeAlexSHere

Jim Roseberry

With high 3D frame-rates (advanced games), it's hard to keep higher-end graphics cards silent. (As is the case with video rendering where all cores are maxed out at 100% and the video card is under heavy load).

So my posts are being swallowed or deleted for no reason several times.

Anyway firstly hyperthreading can actually cause crackling on some systems and most DAW installations don't actually need it, so unless you are totally obsessed with system power (as you are) it really isn't necessary. There is of course no doubt hyperthreading will work perfectly fine on many system but it's weird that you haven't considered other the scenarios.

"On a modern-build DAW, you do NOT want to disable TurboBoost or Hyper-threading... unless you want to sacrifice performance."

Well modern PC's are powerful enough for most, you don't have to squeeze every last bit out of your environment (a la gamer mentality) and performance can be traded off with reliability (as every overclocking installer should know).

I find it strange you state your motherboards have turbo boost/hyperthreading control as a feature then you say it should be on all the time (desktop PC's can have this feature of course).

Special request.. PLEASE stop posting IN CAPs every so often IT COMES ACROSS like YOU ARE SHOUTING. Also please stop posting as though you have are the last word in PC hardware, your opinions are valuable and right up the top I'm sure.. but not all of us are altogether stupid. I've been building computers professionally since the 90's myself and have worked for some major names. Respect the fact that people can have different opinions to yourself and are qualified to make them. There is no harm in disagreeing JUST STOP DOING THIS. Thx.

I posted a couple of words in caps to accentuate the point.  It wasn't like it was whole phrases/sentences.  

As to Hyper-threading, note my choice of words (on a modern-build)...
Hyper-threading (the first generation) did cause audio glitches with Cubase and other DAW applications.
This hasn't been the case for quite a number of years.
Ironically, a reason some folks disable Hyper-threading (on a modern-build) is to achieve stable over-clock at higher clock-speed.  

As for TurboBoost, on a modern-build (with quality cooling), there's no good reason to disable it.
Using the 8700k as an example: With TurboBoost disabled, all CPU cores are running at 3.7GHz.
Not slow by any means, but why limit yourself when the CPU will run absolutely rock-solid with all cores locked at 4.7GHz?  With a quality cooler, the CPU stays cool... and near dead-silent. 
That's 1GHz difference across all six cores.
If the CPU doesn't have adequate cooling, then yes... it's advantageous to disable TurboBoost (and Hyper-Threading).

In well over 20 years, I've yet to field a single request to have a machine's speed intentionally limited.
That ~15% (in the above example), can literally be the difference between an audio glitch (or not) when running heavy loads at super small ASIO buffer sizes.
When stability, CPU-life, CPU-temps, noise, audio-glitches, etc... aren't a factor, it's logical to opt for maximum performance.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
CakeAlexSHere
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/31 00:17:05 (permalink)
^^
Everything you say is about performance and overclocking. I sometimes think I am in a games forum. I'm not disagreeing with most of it but at least you are clarifying a little.

This statement below though I do have issue with, with the exception that if I was running a shed load of synths and convolution reverbs etc etc. But not everybody is, most people are not.

"That ~15% (in the above example), can literally be the difference between an audio glitch (or not) when running heavy loads at super small ASIO buffer sizes."

Well I do use a lot processor intensive stuff on my year 2010 Dell i7 2.93Ghz 16Gb RAM and I have no issues whatsoever. So I find these sort of blanket generalistic statements laughable, mainly because it really depends what you are trying to achieve (I notice you tend to avoid use cases), but then you are trying to peddle your PC's so from that perspective I can see where you are coming from.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/31 10:28:10 (permalink)
It seems you are still both arguing the same point to me. That statement Jim made is accurate, but it agreeably does not apply to everyone. Bear in mind, that Jim has also mentioned that he has customers streaming samples from multiple drives to feed very intense orchestrations, so there are people who definitely want and need that. For the "average user" it is not necessary, but it also does throw a monkey wrench of sorts at average users that buy CPU-intensive VST(i)s and wonder why the computer develops issues. Not all developers are forthright about these requirements, and once they get included (or combined) into a more dynamic project they can cause issues.

For most, "heavier loads" requires a larger ASIO buffer, so the CPU performance (how fast it will run and maintain cooling) can make a huge difference.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Jim Roseberry
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/31 11:39:19 (permalink)
Of course, *context* is everything.
Some folks want to be able to run virtual-instruments like Keyscape (and other advanced synths/libraries) at super small ASIO buffer sizes... *while* working in dense projects. 
Some folks (especially in a professional environment) don't want to wait for several minutes while large projects load.
No... that's not everyone.
But these folks exist... as I talk to them on a daily basis.

Had a composer call me yesterday... who's sole objective is to be able to run *large* orchestral templates.
When composing, these types of users want an enormous pallet of sounds immediately available.
That means... they're all constantly running in the background.
There is no such thing as "too much machine" for this type of user.

Many composers run Cubase. 
If you have Cubase 8, 9, or 9.5... open up a new project at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size.
Load up several instances of the likes of Diva, Omnisphere-2, Keyscape, and numerous advanced Kontakt-5 libraries.
Press F12 to bring up the Cubase Performance Meter.
Record some MIDI parts for each of those instruments... and watch the Realtime Peaks on the Performance Meter.
It takes a fast well-configured machine (no matter the source) to effectively work.
Yes, you can turn on ASIO Guard... or increase the ASIO buffer size.  Those are performance compromises.
Some folks don't want to make those compromises.
In the (extreme) case of those composers running huge orchestral templates, running at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size is often off-the-table... as it's just not possible (not even with the fastest machine/s).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
CakeAlexSHere
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/31 11:48:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Hugh Mann 2018/02/01 04:21:59
^ Right.. so state your use cases before you make blanket statements I suggest. One size does not fit all. Not all off shelf PC's are the same either.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/31 13:29:23 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
azslow3
General PC components are not DAW optimized. Gamers have different requirements.

Name one motherboard, memory module, graphics card, CPU, case or power supply esp optimized for DAWs in mind by design (hardware or software drivers).

Yes. And that was my point. If someone want DAW optimized PC, the only way is to ask people/company which is specialized in building such PCs. They check which components are good for DAWs and which are not, since that information is hard to find otherwise. Particular user has much less possibilities to "try" different components, general/gaming PC manufacturers do not check that aspect.

CakeAlexSHere
 I've been building computers professionally since the 90's myself and have worked for some major names. Respect the fact that people can have different opinions to yourself and are qualified to make them. There is no harm in disagreeing JUST STOP DOING THIS. Thx.

Jim has written about hyper-threading and TurboBoost on modern system after careful tests, the same is true for all his other statements in this forum.

My English is not good, so I will just quote another post:
melmyers
CakeAlex, you are a legend around here, but not in the way you wish. You are well remembered as the tool who attempted to hijack this forum a few years ago, pretending many of us were unworthy of having a problem addressed or even participating in a discussion without your blessing. You continue to post here, trying to appear to be the smartest person in the room, while in the end you come off completely the opposite.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
CakeAlexSHere
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/31 13:33:39 (permalink)
^ The first point is a sensible answer.

^ The second point totally evades my point. Hence you don't fully quote, instead cherry pick to make me look bad. Ultimately you are saying you don't respect different viewpoints, try to twist and then clearly state you are effectively taking sides, when Jim has already clarifield. Unnecessary.

^ The third is just being a dick wanting to stir up trouble. I assume you will want to PM me and threaten to punch me in the face next. It's amazing you got away with that one, on the UK the police would have knocked on your door, but then that's just another reason why these forums have a reputation of being rude rather than having sensible discussion that may contain disagreements.

Well you brought up the past don't expect to get something back. It is clear you are simply posting to be aggressive and it's people like you who serve the forums reputation.

This will probably get deleted or something, but it's the truth.
Have a good day.
abacab
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/31 13:47:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2018/01/31 14:39:40
Here's something fun to try.  I call it the 'Diva Stress Test'. 

You can use the free Diva demo if you don't have it.

Load up a dozen tracks or so with Diva inserted with a dual VCO preset, set the accuracy to 'Divine' on each (top-quality zero delay feedback filters), normal poly mode with 8 voices or so each, and route your controller to all tracks so that all Diva instances play in unison.

Now play a chord.  If you get breakups right away, turn off MIDI echo on a few tracks and try again.  If you don't hear anything bad, check your CPU meter, then play chords with both hands.  If still good, keep adding tracks until your system maxes out.  That will give you an idea of what your system can handle.

I can run about 4 Diva instances with 4 voices at ASIO buffer size of 64.  I start getting dropouts with more voices before my CPU maxes, so increasing buffers lets me add voices without dropouts until I hit my CPU max.  Seems to be a combination of buffer size and CPU capacity determines the overall performance.  I normally run less demanding plugins, and run with a 128-256 buffer.  So what I have works for what I normally do.  This is analogous to bench-marking frame rates on a gaming GPU...all in good fun!!!

From the u-he manual:
But what sets DIVA apart from other emulations is the sheer authenticity of the analogue sound.
This comes at the cost of quite a high CPU-hit, but we think it was worth it: Diva is the first native
software synth that applies methods from industrial circuit simulators (e.g. PSpice) in realtime. The
behaviour of our zero-delay-feedback filters when pushed to the limit clearly demonstrates the
advantages of this groundbreaking approach

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/31 14:40:22 (permalink)
i'm gonna try that diva test, although not at 64! do you have repro yet?

just a sec

Jim Roseberry
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/31 15:05:49 (permalink)
abacab
Here's something fun to try.  I call it the 'Diva Stress Test'. 

You can use the free Diva demo if you don't have it.

Load up a dozen tracks or so with Diva inserted with a dual VCO preset, set the accuracy to 'Divine' on each (top-quality zero delay feedback filters), normal poly mode with 8 voices or so each, and route your controller to all tracks so that all Diva instances play in unison.

Now play a chord.  If you get breakups right away, turn off MIDI echo on a few tracks and try again.  If you don't hear anything bad, check your CPU meter, then play chords with both hands.  If still good, keep adding tracks until your system maxes out.  That will give you an idea of what your system can handle.

I can run about 4 Diva instances with 4 voices at ASIO buffer size of 64.  I start getting dropouts with more voices before my CPU maxes, so increasing buffers lets me add voices without dropouts until I hit my CPU max.  Seems to be a combination of buffer size and CPU capacity determines the overall performance.  I normally run less demanding plugins, and run with a 128-256 buffer.  So what I have works for what I normally do.  This is analogous to bench-marking frame rates on a gaming GPU...all in good fun!!!

That is an excellent (quick/easy) way to gauge low-latency performance (under substantial load).
Thanks for posting!

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
abacab
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/01/31 17:18:24 (permalink)
pwalpwal
do you have repro yet?

Not yet, and it really looks interesting since they added the Prophet 5 model!  But I already have the Pro-V synth in IK Syntronik (I know...SAMPLES... ), but I do love the sound of the Prophet!  Guess I need to check out the u-he demo of Repro.

I wish I could afford to buy all the u-he synths, since I think they some are the best sounding ones around these days.  I have been dabbling with the Diva demo, so that one would probably be next.  The u-he TyrellN6 V3 is an awesome VA for free!

KV331 Audio has updated SynthMaster 2 (since 2.8, I believe) with zero delay feedback filters, and SynthMaster One has had them since introduction, and they seem to be a bit more CPU friendly than the u-he stuff.  Those two have been keeping me away from spending more cash, thankfully! 

Hugh Mann
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/02/01 04:27:15 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere

Also please stop posting as though you have are the last word in PC hardware, your opinions are valuable and right up the top I'm sure.. but not all of us are altogether stupid. I've been building computers professionally since the 90's myself and have worked for some major names. Respect the fact that people can have different opinions to yourself and are qualified to make them. There is no harm in disagreeing JUST STOP DOING THIS. Thx.

well put.  as far as ht ...i leave it on.  I've tried with it off and on and i didn't notice any difference. 
David W. Ganem
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/02/01 08:51:45 (permalink)
Although apparently there is nothing to stop you from having a pissing contest. Why would you? Frankly, I fail to see how this answers my question. I guess that must not be the point. And to the one who felt it necessary to argue my financial status. What? I'm disabled... I receive $1000 a month! 
Jim Roseberry
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/02/01 13:13:52 (permalink)
@ the OP:
David, if you need help spec'ing out a DAW with "Silent PC", I'd be happy to steer you in the right direction.

Back in Nov 2002, the Pentium 4 (single core CPU) was released.
That was the first incarnation of Hyper-Threading.
Back then, Cubase (in particular) suffered from audio glitches if Hyper-Threading was enabled.
Fast forward 16 years... and it's a much different situation.

If you have a CPU with six physical cores (like the 8700k), open Sonar and look at the Performance Meter.
Notice that with Hyper-Threading enabled, there are twelve processing threads.
Now, disable Hyper-Threading... and have a look at Sonar's Performance Meter. 
Note that there are now six processing threads.

Additional CPU cores (especially virtual) don't yield a 1:1 increase in processing speed.
IOW, Enabling Hyper-Threading won't anywhere near double the machine's performance.
BUT... unless your CPU is over-heating, there is *zero* value in disabling Hyper-Threading.
The only thing you achieve by doing so is lower performance.
You may not be running projects where the performance-hit is a factor, but you *are* limiting performance.
It's not opinion, it's physics of a modern CPU.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
2018/02/01 13:53:45 (permalink)

post edited by mister happy - 2018/02/06 19:23:06

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1