I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question

Author
marcos
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2007/05/10 04:30:38 (permalink)

I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question

New to this forum, been lurking for some 6 months,
Just got P5 2.5 upgrade and need some help with ACT. Is there any way to simulate button presses (within ACT) with a USB Midi controller that only has rotaries/sliders/keyboard + 10 pads that only transmit midi note number (assignable) ? Controller = ESI Neon .
Thanks for anything that helps.

mr

10 Replies Related Threads

marcos
    RE: I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question 2007/05/10 05:24:14 (permalink)
    Just to clarify my previous post. I can map (using ACT) rotaries and sliders to parameters in synth plugins and that is working OK.
    Just wanted to change banks for both rotaries and sliders, using my controller, so I can control all parameters that are exposed thru ACT.
    I don´t know if it is possible to do this without having buttons on my controller. Also, I'm curious to know what kind of Midi info (or other) is being sent
    by buttons in controllers that do include these devices, so I could study a way to simulate those (if possible).
    Any help will be usefull!

Thanks.

Marcos.
    LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question 2007/05/10 06:23:33 (permalink)
    You can assign a controller to scroll between the Next Buttons Bank and Next Knobs and Sliders Bank (see the bottom right cells in the ACT plugin). I notied that on your keyboard you have a Shift key. Try perhaps assigning that as the Shift Ket Modifier in ACT, and then using keyboard keys to scroll up or down. Try assigining the Knobs too, to see how they behave.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    marcos
    RE: I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question 2007/05/10 06:36:35 (permalink)

Will try to keep a rotary reserved to one of the cells you've mentioned (didn't noticed it...) I'm gonna do that when I get home.
    Unfortunately the shift key in my controller does not transmit any midi info outside the controller, just changes rotaries and sliders to another group of midi CC's assignements...
    The NEON however, has a VERY nice, solid, deep travel keyboard action.

Thanks for the help, LionSound

Marcos
    marcos
    RE: I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question 2007/05/11 04:34:46 (permalink)
    Ok. So I've reserved a slider just to change banks (ACT cell: rotaries & sliders next bank) and it worked fine. Now I will start testing to control parameteres in my plugins that are mapped to Banks 1 & 2
    (only have 8 knobs and 8 sliders available in my controller, and one "shift" key to choose between two sets of midi CC's assignements).

Thanks again LionSound
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question 2007/05/11 09:10:11 (permalink)
    I'm starting posting here.... you know, I only just got that!

funny! I look forward to more posts from you marcos!
    marcos
    RE: I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question 2007/05/11 11:04:03 (permalink)
    Just wanted to add something POSITIVE ;)
    This is a great forum, with a super-cool attitude, nice to be part of it.

Glad you noticed, Digital Aura.
    marcos
    RE: I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question 2007/05/14 07:27:45 (permalink)
    Just to say that...

I've seen the light!
    Now I finally grokk ACT !

The point is that first time using ACT is REALLY confusing.
    In fact, just after reading a review of Novation SL controllers and wondering how could one imitate those LCD "soft" labels
    in software (I was thinkin about a small app that placed a long, narrow window on screen with the relations between rotaries/sliders and
    plugins parameters, that would automatically update itself when a different plugin is choosed)
    did I realized that this is just what ACT is all about!
    After that everything became clear. Also when I reasoned that the only thing that ACT can really know about a generic controller is
    which MIDI message is being sent by the controller (it can't ever know if this message it is being sent by a rotary, slider, button, pedal or the neighbour's cat) then it was clear that, even if my controller doesn't have any buttons, I can assign any of my rotaries/sliders to any of the ACT buttons cells.
    So, my controller has:
    8 knobs
    8 "pseudo" sliders (similar to mouse-wheels, with very good, stepped, precise rotation, but sloooow to change a track gain)
    1 pitch bend type wheel + 2 modulation type wheels (all three freely assignable)
    1 input jack for sustain pedal (I think its freely assignable, have to test it)
    1 iluminated on/off type switch that allows for two diferent sets of MIDI assignements for the knobs & sliders (the switch itself does not transmit
    any MIDI info)
    1 Numerical pad (can also be set to transmit fixed velocity Midi note messagens, only)
    14 User memories

I've prepared a User setup with only general purpose CC's messages mapped to the knobs and sliders (2 x 8 + 2 x 8 = 32 different CC's, using the switch I've mentioned above)

In the ACT screen I did the following:
    Assigned the 8 knobs to PAN (tracks); Assigned the first 7 sliders to VOL (tracks); Assigned the 8th slider to be a "fake" button assigned to the "Next Rotaries/Sliders Bank" (the 6th or 7th Cell in the "Buttons" row). MAKE SURE that this "Button" is "NOT available to ACT" by checking the corresponding box in the Options page of the ACT setup window. I will call this 8th slider a RESERVED control as it can ONLY control this ACT function.

Saved this ACT setup naming it after my controller name (e.g. Neon_1).

Now, when I select a plugin (with the ACT window opened), the parameters exposed by that plugin to ACT have a default mapping to the ACT cell's.
    I can use my 8 knobs and the first 7 sliders to mess around with the parameters assigned to the Bank1 Rotaries and Bank1 Sliders
    (GREAT feeling! Just like a "real" synth...)
    I will use my 8th slider to change (back and forth) to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th banks at will (as it has a pronounced stepped movement, it fits well to this operation). Recall that this 8th slider is the RESERVED control mentioned above, it can ONLY control this ACT function.
    These additional Banks will also present default mappings for the remaining parameters of the plugin (of course, they will vary in number and type
    according to the plugin you choose) that I can control with my 8 knobs and first 7 sliders.

Key 2 things that I've had to FULLY understand (It was a cause of BIG confusion for me at first):

1 - You only assign knobs & sliders & buttons to the ACT Cells ONCE, FOR THE BANK 1 assignments screen (for all the four rows: Knobs, Sliders, Shift+Buttons and Buttons). That is why, I suppose, that it is CRUCIAL that you have ALL the Banks with the 1 position selected when you SAVE your setup.

2 - When you change Banks (rot + sliders), (either with your mouse/computer keyboard or with a RESERVED knob/slider/button) the same phisical knob, altough transmitting ALLWAYS the SAME MIDI msg, will control a DIFFERENT parameter, according to the mapping presented in the corresponding ACT Cell.

This "trick" will not turn my basic controller in a Novation SL type controller, as I need to have the ACT window opened to check which Banks are currently selected, along-side with viewing/controlling my plugins, but IT IS workable, specially in a dual monitor situation. Also, it was a very good way of understanding the ACT philosophy.

I think I will call this the ACTor's Method :)

Once again, a Big Thank You for the precious hint, LionSound

Marcos.

DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question 2007/05/14 12:12:36 (permalink)
    That was a great instructional read Marcos.

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    marcos
    RE: I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question 2007/05/14 12:44:27 (permalink)
    Thanks DayDrumFour

Just wanted to share some basic ACT stuff that I've learned the hard way (THE most effective one).
    I think it is very difficult to adequately explain ACT only in text. Altough the help file in P5 2.5 for this subject is very correct and well written it was authored by people who where on the "inside" of the subject,
    from the beggining. Sometimes, when you are in that position, you tend to assume that the reader will easily follow your reasoning (it happened a lot of times with me when I worked for a small software company). What I really needed was a kind of "ACT for Dummies" instructional video that clearly identified the most important issues.
    Now I'm planning to set up ACT to a minimum, concentrating just on controlling only the most expressive plugins parameters (synths & effects) during realtime performance (for me, the real fun that ACT offers).
    I find that operating too much knobs/parameters is confusing. Better to build some key synth presets using the mouse for adjusting the whole array of parameters and then only tweak some 6/8 knobs max in a performance.

Hope that my posts help other P5'ers with this ACThing.

Marcos.
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: I'm starting posting here :-) - ACT question 2007/05/14 16:16:59 (permalink)
    excellent post marcos...I hope you stick around...your insight will be invaluable to me as I start scratchin' more of the surface of these deeper elements of P5.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1