Helpful ReplyLocked[Implemented] - CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2015/03/31 22:58:38 (permalink)
5 (3)

[Implemented] - CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel

Have been trying to figure out why the proliferation of controllers in PRV controller panel ... as I've complained before, you have to close one line per controller per track PER CHANNEL.   

Finally tracked down one source of the proliferation:  Bounce to Clips ignores channel setting in the midi data and changes all controllers affected to be set to the midi output channel of the track.    They are different things, so this is not good.  

While for many purposes the channel number in a midi stream is ignored, it can be useful (each event, note, controller, pitch bend, etc, has a channel number field).    The 'channel', same name, different thing, that carries a stream of data to an instrument, VST or otherwise, applies to everything in the track, regardless of the channel number on each midi event.

This is a design flaw, or bug.

Procedure:     Load a vst instrument that can accept multiple midi streams (channels).   I use Kontakt 5.   Set up two midi tracks, output to the VSTi, midi channel 1 and 2,    Load two patches into the VSTi, one on the first channel, a different one on the second channel.  

Open PRV, create a note in the first track.   That makes a "midi clip" containing one note.   By default, the note event will be midi channel 1.   Close PRV
Open PRV for the other track, create a note.   That makes a midi clip containing one note.    By default the note event will also be midi channel 1.    (This is midi channel 2, but whatever ... the event channel does not matter for most purposes). 

Add a controller.   Midi event channel 1.  

Select all midi data, Now use 'bounce to clips'  -- suddenly all the midi events on track 2 are set to channel 2.  

That's untroubling when you are working with 2 tracks, but how about 40-50 tracks, running to multiple VSTs?   Each will necessarily use a track-based midi channel, but the EVENTS on the track need not and should not have that number as their channel number.     Do a little copying, pasting, and the channel numbers proliferate.   Bounce to clips occasionally, then keep working: the channel numbers keep proliferating.     

And THEN you get the wild mess that drives crazy anyone trying to use the PRV controller pane --- one line per controller PER MIDI CHANNEL IN THE EVENT per track.     For a medium sized project, the controller pane is simply unusable, it is a mess of lines, too small to even close them one by one by one by one by one by one by one by one by one by one.

post edited by scook - 2015/05/01 10:53:26
williamcopper
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/03/31 23:03:14 (permalink)
btw fixing this bug will be a good thing, but NOT enough to fix the controller pane problem.  Even at one controller per track (ignoring channel), i still never want to see a CC10 (Pan) lane or CC7 (volume lane) and usually not a pitch bend lane or after touch lane.
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 01:17:14 (permalink)
Haven't read the above posts, but the issue described in the thread title is a workflow killer for me (because it creates additional lanes in the Controller pane). Voted.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 02:25:44 (permalink)
Personally, I've always liked this feature as an easy way to isolate like controller types on several tracks to their own lanes all at once. It's quite easy to go back and forth between the two modes by selecting some or all tracks and bouncing to clips to apply forced MIDI channels or Process > Find/Change to change everything back to channel 1.

Rather than changing the way bounce to clips applies forced MIDI channel, I'd prefer to see a "Re-use Lanes" or "Shared Lanes" mode for the Controller pane where it would show, for example, Modulation controllers in the Modulation lane for the active track, regardless of what channel they'e on. Add an option to "Show Controllers on Active Track Only" like the option for velocity, and you'd be in business.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
icontakt
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 02:41:38 (permalink)
brundlefly
It's quite easy to go back and forth between the two modes by selecting some or all tracks and bouncing to clips to apply forced MIDI channels or Process > Find/Change to change everything back to channel 1.

Yes, that's what I always have to do after bouncing MIDI clips. In my opinion, "Bounce to Clip(s)" should just bounce clips to a clip and do nothing else. If it also must reset MIDI channels, it should be called "Bounce to Clip(s) and Reset MIDI channel(s)."

"Show Controllers on Active Track Only" would be really helpful.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 06:14:24 (permalink)
Question - and a commendation - the commendation is for williamcopper, the initial post for this thread was really well laid out - with the steps to recreate.  Thanks - I think posting an issue with that level of clarity and detail would make it easy for me to work through, if I were a Sonar developer. (I was a programmer for forever on mainframes in the non-Sonar corporate world, however).

OK - so the question is about the midi channel conversion - I would think the bounce wouldn't change the midi channel on event data for that track, if there were no midi channel assigned to the midi track's Output Midi Channel parameter) right below the FX bin.

So - will Sonar in its current release, leave any midi channels found in that track's midi data, when it bounces, IF right before the bounce any value for the Output Midi Channel is removed?

(after the bounce, whatever was there could be put back to whatever it was set to prior to being removed ahead of the bounce).

Just wondering if the above would give you a way to preserve those embedded midi channel values post-bounce.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
williamcopper
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 07:46:58 (permalink)
Bounce to clips on a track that has had its midi controller changed to None uses the original setting for midi channel.

Robert, you might like the way it works, but it is not right, and getting specific channels, or the channel number for a selected group of events, set to specific values should be done in another way, either the Process Find/Change, or the very simple CAL program I use:

(do
   (int new_chan 1)
   (int i 0)
   (getInt new_chan "New Midi Channel for selected events: " 1 16)
   (-= new_chan 1 ) ; sonar shows channel 0 as channel 1 and 15 as 16 so adjust
   (forEachEvent
        (do
               (= Event.Chan new_chan )
               (++ i)  ; count the change, this step could be eliminated if you don't care
        )
   )
   (pause "Adjusted " i "channel events." )  ; this step could be eliminated if you don't care
)
williamcopper
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 07:51:39 (permalink)
As a general rule, a function should do what it says it does, and not other things (like changing channel numbers for events to an unrelated track channel number for communication with an instrument).
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 11:28:34 (permalink)
If bouncing preserves midi channels when the Chn widget (output channel, [c]) says none, and normalizes midi channels when Chn gives a channel number, I Like It, So It Is Right(tm). I think of bouncing as a normalizing function that consolidates data, including envelopes, fades, fx regions, and effects associated with the clips. No clip-level processing is needed to play the data of a freshly bounced clip.

It does make sense to set the [c] widget to a channel when the intention is to send all events to the same voice, even though VSTis often don't require it. Since I often use h/w synths, I find it much more convenient than trying to keep the individual event channels right, especially when I might move or copy clips to different tracks, and wind up with multiple channels in events on a track. I agree it would be a pain to have to view multiple controller lanes when my intention is they all go to one voice.

In my setting, I have MIDI data arriving from multiple channels, due to the way I use channel number to sort data from my controller keyboard into different tracks. If I copy or drag clips or events from one track to another, tracks wind up with multiple channels in the data. Not on purpose. Setting the output channel on each track is my normal way to compensate for this inadvertent proliferation of channels.

There is another discussion entirely about how events are displayed. I have potentially the same data display issue that William Copper has, but for different reasons. I'd like it if controller lanes were displayed according to, again, the Chn setting in the track. If I'm forcing an output channel, differently-channeled controller events should not be displayed in different lanes. ILISIIR or maybe ILSR for short. If I were deliberately using controllers for multiple channels in a track, setting the Chn widget to none, I might prefer to be able to view them separately. But then again, purposely using multiple channels in a track requires a special kind of fortitude.

The "viewing multiple tracks in prv view" discussion is a good focal point for discussing whether controller events with different channels ought to show in different lanes. If tracks configured with different midi channels are showing at once in the PRV, then it's obvious that the intention is to show multiple instruments. In that case, is it really a good idea to show all like events in one lane? It seems to need an option, as the one brundlefly said, or maybe even a separate per channel vs combined controller display option. The single-track multiple-channel-on-purpose inline PRV case might benefit as well.

So my proposed feature request would be to honor the track's selected output channel not only in bouncing but in displaying controller data.
williamcopper
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 11:39:13 (permalink)
Interesting point of view.  A couple of observations: no, to your first "if" ... the individual channels are NOT preserved when bouncing to clip, regardless of the setting to none or not.   As far as I can tell, there is no possible way to preserve intentional channel choices and use bounce to clip.    I could imagine someone wanting to preserve individual CLIPS and set all channels to the same number ... my CAL code above does that; and someone else, like me, wanting to preserve individual CHANNEL NUMBERS and get all midi clips bounced into one larger unit.   So:  I'd still say it is two valid functions, and one operation should not try to do both. 
robert_e_bone
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 12:55:20 (permalink)
I hadn't actually indicated any preference one way or another for how it is currently being done - was just wondering if a bounce with Midi Output Channel set to none would preserve embedded midii channel numbers for the track, and if so suggested it might get the results you wanted.

Can you or someone, please indicate what the current documentation has to say on how it works for this situation?

If is is working as intended, as supported by documentation, then your desire to have it work differently would be best expressed as a feature request.  So, I am interested in knowing what the doc says about it.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
bvideo
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 14:42:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SquireBum 2015/04/01 23:02:24
williamcopper
Interesting point of view.  A couple of observations: no, to your first "if" ... the individual channels are NOT preserved when bouncing to clip, regardless of the setting to none or not.   As far as I can tell, there is no possible way to preserve intentional channel choices and use bounce to clip.    I could imagine someone wanting to preserve individual CLIPS and set all channels to the same number ... my CAL code above does that; and someone else, like me, wanting to preserve individual CHANNEL NUMBERS and get all midi clips bounced into one larger unit.   So:  I'd still say it is two valid functions, and one operation should not try to do both. 

We seem to be getting different bounce results. I just tried with a freshly created midi track:
1. I recorded some notes that are natively recorded on channel 2, as verified in the event view.
2. Made a second copy on the same track
2. I set the output channel (the [c] widget in the track header) to 1
3. selected and bounced the original clip
All those channels became '1' as expected, and of course the copy is not affected and still has channel 2 notes, as seen in the event view.
Then:
4. Set the output channel to "none"
5. Selected both clips
6. bounced to clip
It made a single clip, but none of the channel numbers changed. In this mode, playing the track sends notes on both channel 1 and channel 2 according to the way the clips were created in steps 1-3 (tested with a multi-channel setup on a h/w synth). So Sonar bounces the way I like it.

Would you want to describe how you are trying the channel setting for your bounce results, just so we're talking about the same thing?

This still leaves open the inconvenient design flaw/bug in displaying multiple controller lanes on different channels even when the output channel is set.

By the way, changing the channel on selected notes is extremely easy using the event inspector in the control bar.
robert_e_bone
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 20:55:12 (permalink)
I moved this until it gets determined that the behavior deviates from the documentation (meaning it is a bug), and until it can get replicated by someone other than the OP.

As soon as both above get determined to be the case, then I will move it back over to problem reports forum.

I'm just trying to keep the problem reports forum clear of threads that aren't feature requests and not confirmed bugs.

I am in the middle of some stuff for about an hour, maybe 2, and I will try to look into whatever the documentation has to say about how Sonar SHOULD operate for this, if nobody has responded to my earlier request for someone to research that.

I will also try to keep an eye on this thread, and as indicated earlier will move it back to problem reports if replicated (confirmed) by anyone else and is shown to deviate from how the doc says it should work.

Bob Bone

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 22:46:57 (permalink)
williamcopper
Finally tracked down one source of the proliferation:  Bounce to Clips ignores channel setting in the midi data and changes all controllers affected to be set to the midi output channel of the track.    They are different things, so this is not good.  

While for many purposes the channel number in a midi stream is ignored, it can be useful (each event, note, controller, pitch bend, etc, has a channel number field).    The 'channel', same name, different thing, that carries a stream of data to an instrument, VST or otherwise, applies to everything in the track, regardless of the channel number on each midi event.

This is a design flaw, or bug.

I'm pretty sure it's pilot error again, assuming I understand your scenario correctly. I believe you are referring to clips in individual tracks (not take lanes), you are bouncing a single clip to itself, and you believe that doing so forces all the data in that clip to acquire the same channel stamp...yes?

When bounced, the channel assignment for notes will be forced to whatever output channel is specified in the track's MIDI Channel field. However if this field is set to None, all MIDI data retains any original channel assignments.

The MIDI Channel field is a track-level command. The hierarchy is that a track affects clips, so a track command can override what happens on the clip level. If you choose not to have the track command override the clip, the clip data remains unchanged.

To verify, create a clip. Draw four or five notes. Double-click on each one, and in the Note Properties dialog box that appears, assign each one to a different channel.

Set the track's MIDI Channel field to None. Note that the Bank field or Preset field can also indicate None, but they are irrelevant to what you want. The MIDI Channel field has to be set to None.

Bounce the clip, and you can verify that all the notes have retained their original channel assignments. Now change the MIDI Channel field to, say, 4 and bounce. All the notes will now be assigned to Channel 4.

Furthermore, controllers retain their channel assignments when bounced with the MIDI Channel field set to None. This holds true even if you have the same controller represented on multiple channels. For example if you have controller 7 messages on 5 different channels, they'll retain their channel identities after bouncing.

[If I misunderstand what you're saying and you expect to send clip data assigned to various channels over a specific MIDI channel (e.g., channel 2) and have them retain their identities - in other words, channel 2 carries data stamped as channel 5, channel 1, channel 8, or whatever - that simply is not possible according to the MIDI specification. Any piece of data can have only one channel assignment. You can't have a piece of MIDI data stamped as channel 5 go through a pipe called channel 2 and expect it to somehow be de-multiplexed back to channel 5 on the way out.]

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
SquireBum
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 347
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/01 22:59:08 (permalink)
Just ran through the steps provided in #12 by bvideo and can confirm the results:

1.  Setting the "C" output channel dropdown box to a specific channel causes all data to be converted to the selected channel.
2.  Setting the "C" output channel dropdown box to "None" leaves Notes and CC's to their original channels.

Ron

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum x64 2017.10, X3E, X2a, X1d, 8.5
Windows 10 x64
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 GHz
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Echo Gina 3G
Anderton
Re: Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 01:18:20 (permalink)
Not sure why this was moved to problem reports, unless three of us have totally misunderstood what the problem is. We've all been able to bounce MIDI clips without forcing the clip data to a particular channel.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
icontakt
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 08:04:28 (permalink)
Anderton
The MIDI Channel field is a track-level command. The hierarchy is that a track affects clips, so a track command can override what happens on the clip level. If you choose not to have the track command override the clip, the clip data remains unchanged. 

I think there's track-level, clip-level and event-level. And, IMO, commands should work according to these levels. For example, record two clips in a MIDI track and change the track strip color to red and change the background colors of the two clips to blue and green respectively. If you bounce these two clips, the program can't decide which of the two clip background colors the new (bounced) clip should inherit, so it should inherit the track strip color (but what X3 and 2015 do is inherit the default clip background color black). As for bouncing two or more clips containing events of different MIDI channels, the program should NOT wonder what MIDI channel number the events in the new clip should inherit, because the events in the new clip can still have different MIDI channel numbers, whereas the clip can only have one clip background color. 

Edit: No, there's a mistake here. The track strip color is tied to the clip FOREGROUND color, so the bounced clip should indeed inherit the default black background color (just like it does in X3 and 2015).
post edited by icontakt - 2015/04/02 08:10:40

Tak T.

icontakt
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 08:26:10 (permalink)
So, it's just like clip foreground colors. When two MIDI clips that both have a yellow foreground color are bounced to a single clip, the new clip inherits the track strip color. But, as I said, one clip can contain multiple MIDI channels (because they belong to events, not to the clip). So, Bounce to Clip really shouldn't change the MIDI channels.

Tak T.

Anderton
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 08:41:58 (permalink)
icontakt
But, as I said, one clip can contain multiple MIDI channels (because they belong to events, not to the clip). So, Bounce to Clip really shouldn't change the MIDI channels.

It doesn't...as confirmed by three different people, unless we're not understanding the problem. All you have to do is set the MIDI Channel field to "None" prior to bouncing.

icontakt
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 08:49:01 (permalink)
It doesn't, only when None is selected.
Also, if track commands are supposed to override what happens on the clip level, I would say the clips should also take the track's name when bounced.

Tak T.

icontakt
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 09:28:32 (permalink)
I don't know if the track's MIDI channel overriding the events' channels is a bug or design flaw (I hope Bob will find it out soon), but there's a VERY easy way to change the channels of all events in the track at once if that's what you want to do (and you can do it without bouncing clips). All you need to do is select the track and enter the desired channel number in Event Inspector's "Channel" field and hit Enter.

So, clips really shouldn't inherit the track's MIDI channel number when bounced (for the sake of us who heavily use multi-timbral synths and the Controller pane). I would say the "problem" is that the command also changes MIDI channels although its name only says "Bounce to Clip(s)" (I mentioned this before, didn't I?)   

Tak T.

Anderton
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 11:51:33 (permalink)
icontakt
I don't know if the track's MIDI channel overriding the events' channels is a bug or design flaw.

I don't think it's either. The design is such that you can specify whether bouncing overrides the clip's MIDI data assignments, or not. That doesn't seem like a bug or a flaw, but a choice.

Now, you could argue the "flaw" is that you need to select None and that the reverse should be true - you would need to select a specific channel if you wanted the data to have consistent channel assignments. However, I think it's more likely that people will have a consistent channel assignment within a track, so it make sense to me that would be the "no click required" option, while maintaining a mix of channel assignments within a clip would be the "click required" option.

In any event Copper maintained that data is forced to a particular MIDI channel after a bounce, but that's not true. It can be forced to a MIDI channel after a bounce, but can also retain existing channel assignments after a bounce - your choice. I just don't understand why that's a problem...

bvideo
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 12:26:54 (permalink)
icontakt

So, clips really shouldn't inherit the track's MIDI channel number when bounced (for the sake of us who heavily use multi-timbral synths and the Controller pane). I would say the "problem" is that the command also changes MIDI channels although its name only says "Bounce to Clip(s)" (I mentioned this before, didn't I?)   

To further support what anderton just wrote and also formally address the sake of us who heavily use multi-timbral synths:
  • If we intend to drive just one voice of a multi-timbral synth from a track, then it is important we set the track's output channel to the channel number for that voice. Otherwise, when entering, copying, or moving events into this track from elsewhere, there is a chance the new events don't have the right channel, and won't get to the intended voice. We set it once and leave it. Low maintenance. Bounce is fine with this. 
  • If we intend to drive several voices from one track, then it is essential we set the output channel to none. Otherwise, it is not possible to drive multiple voices from the track. Again, set it and leave it. Of course we must stay on top of the channel numbers every time we add events to the track. Kind of high maintenance compared with one voice per track. But bounce is perfect with this.
In either case, bounce works reasonably. No flaw no foul. Controller display, on the other hand, has flaws or bugs with or without bouncing. All of this is illustrated by preceding examples in this thread.
SquireBum
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 12:45:39 (permalink)
IMHO, the only flaw is the minimal documentation of the Bounce to Clips feature.

It would be helpful if the Reference Guide provided detail of what processing occurs when using Bounce to Clips for both audio and MIDI clips.  The Bouncing to clips section of the Guide makes no mention of any processing being applied to MIDI clips when bouncing.  There are 2 Notes that discuss slip-edited data and Render Bit Depth, as well as a mention that "All clip automation from the source clips is applied to the new clip".

- Ron

Windows 10 x64
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Echo Gina 3G
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 13:12:03 (permalink)
SquireBum
IMHO, the only flaw is the minimal documentation of the Bounce to Clips feature.

It would be helpful if the Reference Guide provided detail of what processing occurs when using Bounce to Clips for both audio and MIDI clips.  The Bouncing to clips section of the Guide makes no mention of any processing being applied to MIDI clips when bouncing.  There are 2 Notes that discuss slip-edited data and Render Bit Depth, as well as a mention that "All clip automation from the source clips is applied to the new clip".

- Ron

+1   Since the function itself seems to be working as intended and does offer the option to bounce with or without reassigning MIDI channel per object, all that's left is to improve the documentation to better describe what's happening.   This thread sure seems like a good head-start on that!

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

icontakt
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/02 21:28:57 (permalink)
Hey, it's a great discussion. I love it. 
I'm sure Bakers are reading this, so let me explain why I think this is a bad design (if not a flaw or bug).

First, I think Sonar, while it's a full-featured and versatile daw, should be user-friendly (I hope everyone agrees). And, of the following three methods of creating a MIDI track, I think the majority of users use either of the first two methods:

Method 1. Record real-time using a hardware keyboard controller
Method 2. Step-record using a hardware keyboard controller or the new Virtual Controller
Method 3. Use prepared MIDI groove clips

When recording MIDI data (methods 1 & 2 above) to one of MIDI tracks that belong to a multi-channel synths like Kontakt, you DON'T have to change the output channel of your keyboard controller (just leave it Channel 1) or the Virtual Controller (just select "MIDI Omni") trying to make it match that of the C drop-down in the track, because the track's channel overrides the events' channels (this is a great feature, isn't it?) This means, the MIDI events recorded are most likely to have channel number "1" (try step-recording using Virtual Controller with "MIDI Omni" selected).

Now, imagine you have several (or more) tracks that all contain controller data and you're working on a synth's modulation data in the PRV Controller pane, with the Track view also visible. You need to bounce a few MIDI clips in this track (especially because Sonar doesn't offer the auto clip-merging recording mode), and if you do it, the modulation events suddenly disappear from the Controller lane (which new users or infrequent MIDI users will definitely find confusing, and it is NOT user-friendly).

Your argument is that the user can change the track’s MIDI channel to "None" before bouncing, but this step may or may not be necessary depending on which type of synth (single-channel or multi-channel) is assigned to that track. Users definitely wouldn't want to wonder like, "Did I use Kontakt or Nexus for this synth track?" every time before bouncing clips that contain controller events.

Of course, you can just use the Event Inspector's Channel field after bouncing the clips, but my point is that the program should NOT do what most users don't expect (or what the command's name doesn't say).

Hope it makes sense. 

Tak T.

bvideo
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/03 00:43:16 (permalink)
icontakt
Hey, it's a great discussion. I love it. 
I'm sure Bakers are reading this, so let me explain why I think this is a bad design (if not a flaw or bug).

Sure thing!

icontakt
First, I think Sonar, while it's a full-featured and versatile daw, should be user-friendly (I hope everyone agrees). And, of the following three methods of creating a MIDI track, I think the majority of users use either of the first two methods:

Method 1. Record real-time using a hardware keyboard controller
Method 2. Step-record using a hardware keyboard controller or the new Virtual Controller
Method 3. Use prepared MIDI groove clips

When recording MIDI data (methods 1 & 2 above) to one of MIDI tracks that belong to a multi-channel synths like Kontakt, you DON'T have to change the output channel of your keyboard controller (just leave it Channel 1) or the Virtual Controller (just select "MIDI Omni") trying to make it match that of the C drop-down in the track, because the track's channel overrides the events' channels (this is a great feature, isn't it?) This means, the MIDI events recorded are most likely to have channel number "1" (try step-recording using Virtual Controller with "MIDI Omni" selected).

I use buttons on my controller to quickly change channel selection so I can direct Sonar to play or record different tracks (without touching Sonar's GUI), based on the input channel for each track. That's one particular way to exploit the versatility of Sonar. So events on my tracks are definitely not always 1. But let's say for those tracks I set the C drop-down accordingly so I shouldn't have any problems.

icontakt
Now, imagine you have several (or more) tracks that all contain controller data and you're working on a synth's modulation data in the PRV Controller pane, with the Track view also visible. You need to bounce a few MIDI clips in this track (especially because Sonar doesn't offer the auto clip-merging recording mode), and if you do it, the modulation events suddenly disappear from the Controller lane (which new users or infrequent MIDI users will definitely find confusing, and it is NOT user-friendly).

It would be a great thing to understand the scenario where modulation events disappear from the Controller lane. It certainly isn't friendly when they do that. If the events were recorded as you say on channel 1, and the C drop-down says channel 1, no channel numbers should change by a bounce, as discussed above. Have you found a bounce scenario that is different from the anderton(#14), bvideo(#12), and squirebum(#15) scenarios in the posts above?

On the other hand a flaw has been confirmed about displaying Controller lanes. And I believe that's what's really causing the problems here. And if so, that would not be the fault of bounce. The flaw with the Controller lane display is that it is divided up according to the channel numbers in the events, and does not respect the C dropdown. That's why bounce appears to mess up the controller lanes. Event channel numbers are changed by bounce from your default, or "don't care" channel '1' to the channel number of the track. So the controller display should be made to ignore the event channel #s because the user has obviously directed Sonar to send all events of the track on the chosen C dropdown channel.

That flaw also bothers me even without bouncing because I move or copy events among tracks that were recorded with various channels. So I'd like it fixed no matter what bounce is doing. If you reread my post#9 above, I explain this in slightly different terms.

icontakt
Your argument is that the user can change the track’s MIDI channel to "None" before bouncing, but this step may or may not be necessary depending on which type of synth (single-channel or multi-channel) is assigned to that track. Users definitely wouldn't want to wonder like, "Did I use Kontakt or Nexus for this synth track?" every time before bouncing clips that contain controller events.

My suggestion is not to change the MIDI channel C dropdown to none and back, but to set it and forget it, according to whether you want a multi-channel or single-channel track. This is a separate issue from single-channel vs multi-channel synth. I have been assuming that you and I and most people find it more convenient to have single-channel tracks, not multi-channel tracks (if that's not true for you, the discussion alters slightly). In that case, set the C dropdown to the channel number that drives the voice in the synth, and leave it that way. If the controller lane display would honor that, we might not be having such a long discussion.

icontakt

Of course, you can just use the Event Inspector's Channel field after bouncing the clips, but my point is that the program should NOT do what most users don't expect (or what the command's name doesn't say).

Hope it makes sense. 

It's most likely not necessary to change event channels unless purposely using multi-channel tracks. And as far as what people expect, I think they would expect never to have to worry about the channel numbers of events on any track where the output channel of the track has been set with the C dropdown. That should include displaying Controllers.
icontakt
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/03 02:21:26 (permalink)
I've been thinking that the reason why the Controller pane in Sonar displays only one channel per lane is that there are users who want to edit data that way (by channel). It would certainly be nice to have an option to choose between displaying only one channel per lane and displaying all channels in one lane (to meet the needs of both types of users). But since we don't have that option (yet), it is IMO acceptable that the pane creates lanes per channel.

As for recording MIDI with a multi-channel/timbral synth, I think this is what the majority of users do:
1. Load the synth into the Track view.
2. Give each instrument in the synth a different MIDI channel.
3. Create multiple MIDI tracks and choose the corresponding MIDI channel number from the C drop-down for each track to play the right instrument in the synth.
4. Just record data by the method 1 or 2 I mentioned earlier, without worrying about what MIDI channel the device is sending.

IF this is what they actually do, then it is likely that all MIDI events in the project have the same channel number. And they want to be able to merge clips without having to wonder where the controller data that were there in front of their eyes have gone after they simply merged two clips to one.

The thing is, if you just want to change the events' channel number at once, you can easily do so by selecting the clips (or the track itself, or even Ctrl+A) and enter the desired channel number in the Event Inspector, but if you just want to merge clips together (without forcing the channel number to change), you have to select "None" from the C drop-down first, and figuring it out will take time for new users.

Tak T.

SquireBum
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/03 02:34:12 (permalink)
I can appreciate Tak's reasoning from the standpoint that Track parameters should not affect a bounced clip.  If other Track parameters affected a bounced clip, then should I expect the resulting volume of an audio clip to be lower when the track fader is lowered by 12 db prior to a clip bounce?

The problem with changing the behavior after it has been an accepted part of Sonar since at least version 8.5 is that now experienced users will be screaming from the rooftops about loss of a "feature".  This doesn't take into account the innumerable Problem Reports "Bounce to Clip won't change the MIDI channel". 

I think we all agree that the controller lanes should update after a bounce and this should definitely be addressed.

Windows 10 x64
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Echo Gina 3G
icontakt
Re: CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel --- design fllaw or bug? 2015/04/03 03:29:57 (permalink)
Submitted a feature request. 

Bounce to Clip(s) Special

Tak T.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1