Imported WAV audio tracks out of sync time wise

Author
mikespitzer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 300
2011/03/21 21:40:34 (permalink)

Imported WAV audio tracks out of sync time wise

I ran into a problem on some SONAR projects that I can't figure out.

I have been working on a project.
All audio
No MIDI or Project Tempo setting dependent groove clips.

All audio files only.

We recorded all the music here and made a 16 bit / 44.1  CD for the singer to use as his guide track.

He recorded his vocals at 24/96 also.

He was perfect to the CD timewise.

Tonight we imported all his 24 bit wav vocals into the SONAR project itself and WHOAAAHH ..... we have a major timing problem.

Nothing is matching, his vocals are dragging behind the music despite all the trouble we took with Click tracks , etc...

What is going on here ?

4 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Imported WAV audio tracks out of sync time wise 2011/03/22 00:32:17 (permalink)
    Open the 24/96 tracks in a waste project, save as 16/44.1. That should do it. Import 16/44.1 into 16/44.1

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    mikespitzer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 300
    Re:Imported WAV audio tracks out of sync time wise 2011/03/22 01:29:13 (permalink)
    We found the problem - though there is no good solution now.

Because hardware Reverbs and other effects were being used via the Sends and Returns, they were not able to use Sonar's EXPORT feature to make a mix of the song  (because obviously with no audio playing, there would be no signal going to the external hardware effects and returns).

They instead were recording the SONAR playback with another "2 Track Mixdown" application in the background.

Doing a side by side test recording between SONAR and this application tonight we found a timing variation amounting to a time stretch of 99.330% between the two software applications when the resulting files are over layered and analyzed.

Moral of the story ------ if you are in a studio that likes to use external hardware in your final mixing steps with live audio feeds, DO NOT record any mixdowns this way until you are working on the FINAL MIX.

For generating mixes to use as guide tracks for distant singers or other musicians, it is very wise to use only Sonar's EXPORT function and use plug-in effects for this "rough mix", so as to avoid these kinds of random rate conversion or other variances between multiple software applications.

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Imported WAV audio tracks out of sync time wise 2011/03/22 08:23:57 (permalink)
    sounded like different rates to me. keep all the sampling rates the same.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Imported WAV audio tracks out of sync time wise 2011/03/22 08:48:07 (permalink)
    mikespitzer

I ran into a problem on some SONAR projects that I can't figure out.

I have been working on a project.
    All audio
    No MIDI or Project Tempo setting dependent groove clips.

All audio files only.

We recorded all the music here and made a 16 bit / 44.1  CD for the singer to use as his guide track.

He recorded his vocals at 24/96 also.

He was perfect to the CD timewise.

Tonight we imported all his 24 bit wav vocals into the SONAR project itself and WHOAAAHH ..... we have a major timing problem.

Nothing is matching, his vocals are dragging behind the music despite all the trouble we took with Click tracks , etc...

What is going on here ?

funny you mention this beacuse i have the same prob that happen yesterday..only no lag...everything is just as you describe..instruments are 44/16...his vocals were ..i think 44..but i know they were 24 bit..problem with this is..the vocal track have no sound..no visual audio waves..nothing..this is strange because i can import his blank track..and the properties says its 16,245kb...so theres something there..its just not showing up

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1