Helpful ReplyImporting Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential

Author
drhauser
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
2014/07/18 11:49:55 (permalink)

Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential

Hello,

I apologize if this topic has been addressed, but I hadn't found any posts that specifically answered my question.  If someone could respond or point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

I have Sonar X1 Essentials, which I've used exclusively for home recording.  I record MIDI to Sonar via a Roland interface, and audio tracks via an M-Audio Fast Track device.

I recently recorded some tracks at a studio where they used Pro Tools 10 or 11.  I wasn't terribly happy with the mixes, and was hoping to import the tracks into Sonar in order to do some very basic adjustments (mostly raise or lower volumes on individual tracks, and, if possible, shift some notes forward or back).  Can this be done?  Is there a way to do this without purchasing additional equipment or software (like an OMF converter)?

Thanks for your help and time!

Dan
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/18 12:43:38 (permalink)
You cannot import a Pro tools Session, so the best way to do it is Export each track as a wave file form Pro Tools and then import the wave files into Sonar. I do this many times a day without any hiccups.

Just make sure you export each track from zero or the same place or export them as a Broadcast Wave File so it lines up when you import them into Sonar.

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
Loptec
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/18 12:58:30 (permalink)
you can export the project as .omf in pro tools and open that with sonar
post edited by Loptec - 2014/07/18 16:51:09

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

drhauser
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/18 13:45:47 (permalink)
Excellent!  Thank you so much, CJ and Loptec.  I'll let you know how this works out.
drhauser
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/21 15:07:09 (permalink)
Hello,

I'm not sure if this follow-up question is appropriate for the Sonar forum or would be better for a Pro Tools forum.  However, if anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate hearing your advice.

The studio where I recorded applied quite a few plugins during the basic mixing process.  I like the overall sounds the plugins helped create, and I don't want to lose them.  I have a trial version of Pro Tools I downloaded in order to export the tracks as omf and Broadcast Wave Files as was suggested above.  This version of Pro Tools does not have the plugins.  Some of the plugins I can download, some I cannot. 

Ideally, I'd like to be able to export the Pro Tools recordings without having to worry about losing any of the overall sound enhanced by the plugins.  Is there a way to do this without having to download the plugins or find alternative plugins for those I can't find?  Can I just export the tracks with the effects applied so I can then import the tracks into Sonar and adjust the levels?

Thanks for your help and sharing your expertise! 

Dan
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/21 15:21:32 (permalink)
drhauser
Can I just export the tracks with the effects applied so I can then import the tracks into Sonar and adjust the levels?

Yes. Hazy on the details of how to do it at the moment (not in front of a computer with PT), but have done it in the past when I wanted to take PT projects into Sonar to take advantage of the better editing options.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/21 15:58:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Larry Jones 2014/07/26 18:13:38
It appears you have your answer. I was simply going to say that if exported from PT as waves, you can import them into X1.  Come & Go (Rose) on my music page had the vocal track recorded in PT at a different studio.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
drhauser
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/22 09:30:56 (permalink)
Hello,

Again, thank you all for your advice.  I've tried to export the tracks from Pro Tools as Broadcast Wave Files as has been suggested.  However, I do not see this option available to export.  Could someone please describe how this is done, or perhaps direct me to a site or a posting that does? 

Thanks for your time!  I'm obviously very new to this and I really appreciate the help that has been supplied.

Dan
CJaysMusic
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/22 15:19:38 (permalink)

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
drhauser
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/22 16:38:01 (permalink)
Thank you, CJ.  The video in particular is really helpful.  However, since both my versions of Pro Tools and Sonar do not have the same plugins we used in the studio, will I therefore lose the effects that those plugins produced?  Or, will the effects be saved on the consolidated track?

Again, many thanks for all of the help I've received. 

Dan
CJaysMusic
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/22 16:41:00 (permalink)
Your not transferring plugins, your transfering the wave files that have the plugin sounds bounced into them. You cannot transfer the pro tools project with all its plugins into a sonar project and have it show its plugins. There 2 different programs. 

Cj

Audio Blog
drhauser
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/22 21:39:46 (permalink)
Hello All,

I apologize for all of the questions, particularly after receiving good advice.  Thus far, I'm good on exporting the .wav files out of Pro Tools and have learned that the plugins are included once they've been bounced.  Thank you for you help with this.

Anyhow, I have the .wav files from Pro Tools.  I've tried to import them into Sonar.  However, after I import a track, I just see a series of dots as opposed to the wave forms.  I've selected the options that allow me to import a Broadcast Wave (as described on the Sonar documentation pages seen here: ). 

I can send screenshots, if that helps.

Incidentally, I've used Sonar X1 on my own for several years to record MIDI tracks mixed with audio tracks (via an M-Audio Fast Track device).  These have recorded/played back fine.  Could it be I have a setting incorrect as I import the files?

Again, I really appreciate the help I've received.  CJ, et al, if you live in the DC metro area, I'd happily buy you dinner and drinks for solving my issue.  You rule. 

Thanks again,

Dan

stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/22 22:39:37 (permalink)
If you're importing broadcast waves, check that the clips aren't about an hour down the timeline on SONAR - I think PT adds some type of "buffer" like that.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

drhauser
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/22 22:57:07 (permalink)
You are correct, Steve C!  I checked the full line and the recorded line started playing at an hour, eleven minutes!  I'm assuming I have a time stamp problem, no?  Do you have an idea of how to eliminate this and make sure all instruments start at zero?  Perhaps the wave files I have do not have the bext file embedded correctly?

Thank you, kind sir!  

Dan
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/22 23:16:16 (permalink)
Cool!   Glad that worked.

There is a Preference for importing Broadcast Waves at their designated time stamp:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X2&language=3&help=Recording.33.html

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

drhauser
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/23 01:08:37 (permalink)
Okay, I'm going to get weird.  

Suppose I sent someone 270 audio wave files from Pro Tools that apply to a single song (raw Pro Tools wave recordings for eight individual instrument/vocal tracks, but with an ungodly number of plugins associated with each track), which all focus on eight individual instruments/vocals (with extensions for which I don't realize what they mean), could such a person bounce those eight tracks back in a manner individually into eight separate tracks with which I could import to Sonar X1 Essentials with the same time-stamp so that I could simply adjust the volume levels on those individual instruments on said song without any weird time differentials?  That is all I want to do.  

And then, could that same person proceed to explain what they did (with screenshots) so I could learn how to to this in the future?  

Just throwing this out there,

Dan
CJaysMusic
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/23 12:34:33 (permalink)
drhauser
Okay, I'm going to get weird.  

Suppose I sent someone 270 audio wave files from Pro Tools that apply to a single song (raw Pro Tools wave recordings for eight individual instrument/vocal tracks, but with an ungodly number of plugins associated with each track), which all focus on eight individual instruments/vocals (with extensions for which I don't realize what they mean), could such a person bounce those eight tracks back in a manner individually into eight separate tracks with which I could import to Sonar X1 Essentials with the same time-stamp so that I could simply adjust the volume levels on those individual instruments on said song without any weird time differentials?  That is all I want to do.  

And then, could that same person proceed to explain what they did (with screenshots) so I could learn how to to this in the future?  

Just throwing this out there,

Dan

No, the other person cannot bounce the effect if you send him the 270 raw tracks from a pro tools session. all this guy will have is a HUGE mess and the 270 raw files will not make any sense and will not be in sync. 

You are making things way way way harder than they should ever be. Just send him the 8 tracks that are rendered, they will be in sync when you consolidate them. Then the other person can do what ever he wants with them. 

You MUST bounce each track to a single wave file. Its your option if you want the bounced wave files to contain the rendered sounds from the effects or not. But the other person with a different program or the same program, will never have any access to your plugins when you sen him wave file or raw files form a pro tools session.

You MUST Consolidate the audio when sending your tracks to another person with another program. Wave files do not contain the actual plugins where the other person can open the plugin and adjust it. That is not what a wave file does.

Audio Blog
rjeynes
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/23 14:48:20 (permalink)
Dan

I agree that the 270 raw ProTools files will be essentially unusable. I've done a lot of importing into Sonar from ProTools and it just needs a small amount of attention at the ProTools export stage to save you from wasting a huge amount of time trying to assemble clips manually.

Ask them to lengthen each track so that every one starts at time 0 and finishes at the end of the song, and export each track individually. This will mean adding a lot of silence in many cases, but will mean you can check that all the exported AIF files have exactly the same length. 
All these functions are basic to all the DAWs (ProTools, Cubase, Sonar, Logic,...) - it's just the terminology which is different. I've sometimes offered to go and do the export myself, or offer to pay them something if they are being obstructive; it usually shames them into doing it, because it's simple.

Make sure that when you import each track it goes EXACTLY at time 0: I do this by dragging the bounced audio into a new track in the Track View one by one, looking at the indicator near the top of the screen to make sure it's going at time 0. Having Snap on and set to (say) 1/2 will help. 

For the effects, you could get close to what you want by having two versions of each of the 8 tracks bounced out of ProTools: one bounced with effects applied (wet), one without (dry). Don't use both together, but you'll then at least be able to tell what sound difference the effect chain has been making, and either keep it (by using the wet version) or try and re-create its effect on the dry version of the track by choosing Sonar plugins that you do have. There's always a way to get close with Sonar X3 Producer, IMHO.

Roger Jeynes
Charborough Media 

Sonar Platinum - A&H Qu24 - MOTU 828MkII - i5-3570K - Windows 10
drhauser
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/23 15:52:33 (permalink)
Thank you, CJ and Roger, for your advice.  It sounds like
a.) I am making this more difficult than it needs to be and;
b.) It would have been really helpful if the studio had exported the tracks as Roger has suggested.

The studio dumped the 270 wave files onto a hard drive.  Since the tracks appear to start and stop over the course of an hour and fifteen minutes and are completely out of sync, would I be correct in thinking that the start times had not been assigned to the same arbitrary point in time?  If so, would there be anyway I could import these files into our version of Pro Tools and be able to sync them up, bounce them, and then export?  Or am I basically SOL?

Thank you again!

Dan
CJaysMusic
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/23 16:06:15 (permalink)
The start times are not correct because they are the raw pro tool tracks. They are not wave file that have been consolidated and exported. 

There is no way to import them and make then sync as you do not have the actual pro tools session, correct? you just have the raw files.

Call that studio and tell them they screwed up. If its a professional studio, they should know how to export wave files to be used in other programs. Its done all the time..

CJ

Audio Blog
drhauser
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/23 16:30:06 (permalink)
Good plans, CJ and Roger!  I'll check with them.  Thanks again for all of your help!

Dan
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/23 16:37:33 (permalink)
You actually have that in Cake.... if you screw up and delete your tracks..... the raw waves are saved in a folder and not in any particular orderly way.... You would have to fit them back together again like a musical jigsaw puzzle.

I know this because I did this with ONE vocal track I deleted by accident and didn't realize it until several days later.  I did recover that one track by piecing the clips together and arranging them... it wasn't fun. I couldn't imagine doing 8 tracks with 270 clips..... nope, I'd turn that one down.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
DragonBlood
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: Importing Pro Tools Tracks to Sonar X1 Essential 2014/07/23 17:29:44 (permalink)
On a sidenote, has anybody ever had trouble working/collaborating with people who are solely on Pro Tools because that's what their job requires?
I'm interested the workflow between Sonar and Pro Tools in a professional environment.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1