Importing a Multichannel .Wav File

Author
mrhoades
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2015/07/13 18:50:00 (permalink)

Importing a Multichannel .Wav File

I am a composer of computer generated music and I use Csound, a programming language meant for music composition. One important aspect of my compositions is multi-channel diffusion. Using Csound I generate multi-channel .wav files, which I import into Sonar X2 Producer to edit. I have been doing it for many years and it works great! However, of late I am generating .wav files with more and more channels. As a student at Virginia Tech, I have access to a 144 channel system, for which I am writing algorithms that will create 144 channel .wav files. I can get Sonar X2 to import all 24 channels of a 24 channel wav file but it cannot import a 48 channel .wav file. Using Pro Tools, I can import a 144 channel wav file, however, I prefer to use Sonar, I have been using it since the first audio version (4) came, and so would like to be able to do that in it. Is it possible to expand the number of channels it can import from a wav file? 144 would suit my current needs.

Thanks so much,

Michael Rhoades

23 Replies Related Threads

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/15 08:39:02 (permalink)
    Someone more clever than me will have to answer that for you. I wasn't aware such a thing existed and wonder why Sonar in which you can create unlimited tracks, can't import these files.

It sounds like someone like Noël from cakewalk would need to answer your question.

Just as a matter of personal interest, what format do these files take?

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    mrhoades
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/15 09:11:38 (permalink)
    Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.
    Within the file system these multi-channel .wav files look like just any other .wav file. It is within the file itself that the header is different and so stipulates the number of channels. It is no different than a stereo (2 channel) .wav file.
    For example, one of my test files is named "test_24.wav", which imports as a 24 channel sound file. As I stated, "test_144.wav" imports 144 channels into Pro Tools, but not in Sonar...I am a Sonar user and it is transparent to my process so I hope to be able to continue using it.

Hope that answers your question.

Do you know if there is a way to contact Noel or someone who might be able to implement this change for me?

Michael
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/15 16:06:08 (permalink)
    I think you can PM him. Menu -> member list -> search under N -> hover over his name and click on send private message.

Rocky
    mrhoades
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/15 16:47:02 (permalink)
    Thanks Rocky. I tried to PM Noel but I have only been a member of this forum for one day and you have be a member for three... So I will wait...

Michael
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/16 07:50:47 (permalink)
    Can you send me a an example of such a file? SONAR handles standard multichannel Waveformat extensible wave files and should be able to pull in as many channels it has if its reporting it correctly.
    I will fix it if its a problem on our end. Thanks.

mrhoades
    I am a composer of computer generated music and I use Csound, a programming language meant for music composition. One important aspect of my compositions is multi-channel diffusion. Using Csound I generate multi-channel .wav files, which I import into Sonar X2 Producer to edit. I have been doing it for many years and it works great! However, of late I am generating .wav files with more and more channels. As a student at Virginia Tech, I have access to a 144 channel system, for which I am writing algorithms that will create 144 channel .wav files. I can get Sonar X2 to import all 24 channels of a 24 channel wav file but it cannot import a 48 channel .wav file. Using Pro Tools, I can import a 144 channel wav file, however, I prefer to use Sonar, I have been using it since the first audio version (4) came, and so would like to be able to do that in it. Is it possible to expand the number of channels it can import from a wav file? 144 would suit my current needs.

Thanks so much,

Michael Rhoades

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    mrhoades
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/16 09:29:02 (permalink)
    That would be fantastic Noel. I would be willing to update to the latest version, I am using X2 Producer, if I could import these files.
    As a note, I am generating the 48 channel and above wav files in exactly the same way I am generating the 24 and 8 channel files that do import.

My 144 channel test file is 254 MB. How is the best way for me to send it to you?

Thanks tons,

Michael
    mrhoades
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/16 10:18:33 (permalink)
    Hi Noel,

Your message inspired me to go back and do my testing again but I did get the same results. A 24 channel .wav file imports perfectly but a 48 channel wav file does not. When I try to import the 48 channel file it imports only one channel.

For testing, if it is easier for you, I can send you a 48 channel file. It is only 41mb in size. For this testing I am generating a simple 10 second long sine wave.

Thanks again,

Michael

Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/16 15:44:13 (permalink)
    Just put a link to some test files on google drive or yousendit or something and send me the link.

Noel Borthwick
    Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/17 08:24:30 (permalink)
    I can repro the problem with your test file. Will look into it. Thanks.

Noel Borthwick
    mrhoades
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/17 10:37:38 (permalink)
    Thanks tons Noel.

Michael
    mudgel
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/18 06:31:52 (permalink)
    Now that's quick service.

since I first replied I've done some more reading on the subject. It just shows. I've been involved in audio nearly all my life and wasn't aware that such files existed. Is there an advantage other than a form for archiving, digital transporting, compression. For example is the single wav smaller or larger than the sum of the individual audio tracks/channels it contains. It doesn't seem likely that any device or software can play the file back as is.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

mrhoades
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/18 08:48:39 (permalink)
    Hi Mike,

This is a little known and even less understood approach to musical composition. I basically program the computer to do the composing, which I then edit. I feel it is the next step in musical composition. Because I can do so much more when assisted by the computer, the music has an exponentially large range of possibility. So the music sounds foreign to people right now.  I use AI to extend the possibility of music. (AI in this case stands for Augmented Intelligence, not Artificial Intelligence.)

I render these files "natively" from Csound in multi-channel formats. I write algorithms that, among many other things, create spatial relationships amongst the sounds. For home playback I often mix these compositions down to 4.1. But they are intended for the concert hall where they are played back, usually, using Pro Tools. I also play the multi-channel files for art installations and for that I use Sonar or Ableton Live. 

One of my areas of focus is 3D spatialization, where I not only have speakers left and right (1d - stereo), front and back (2d - quad) but also top and bottom (3d). So all three spatial dimensions are used. I programmed a system of Cartesian Coordinates in Csound that stipulate where, within the 3d Cube, a sound exists and if it is to be perceived as moving, how it moves... 

So, as you can see, I cannot render a 144 channel file in separate channels any more than one could do so with a stereo file. It is not really practical.

You can find out more about my work at http://www.perceptionfactory.com

Thanks for your interest and I hope that answers your question,

Michael
    Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/18 10:47:13 (permalink)
    I looked into it. It turns out that this is a bug in Microsoft's multi channel wave file handling. For multichannel wave import we use a component from Directshow called a wave parser. This is not handling more than 24 channels for some bizarre reason and reporting a mono stream instead. Thats why it gets a mono file.
    There is some discussion on the web about this as well. I've reported it also to MS and we'll see what they say.
    I can work around it using our native import but it will take some rework to do so. Will keep you posted.

One thing you can try is rendering the files as WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE wave files. Microsoft tends to handle these files better (Even 24 bit normal waves are not understood by Windows without this header) so it might work in that format. Windows normally identifies multichannel audio files as being surround format, so even with WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE they could have some limits based on what they think is a valid surround config.

I'm not sure if CSound supports export to WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE  but you can look into it.
    post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2015/07/18 11:19:26

Noel Borthwick
    mrhoades
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/18 14:03:09 (permalink)
    That all sounds spot on Noel. I did not realize that Sonar uses an aspect of Directshow to import sound files. That explains why ProTools can do it... they probably use their own protocols.

I am checking into Csound supporting WAVEFORMEXTENSIBLE but from what I see in the manuals and and other documentation it does not look like it does. Sounds like it would be a workaround.... but if it worked that is all that matters.

Thanks a lot.

Michael

Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/18 20:28:38 (permalink)
    We use directshow only for a few functions as a fallback since it has support for a bunch of formats. It turns out that the multichannel wave case relied on that code. I tried implementing the import natively and its definitely doable.
    It requires a bunch of changes to the import code to handle deinterleaving to mono files. Not sure which update I can do it but it should definitely be possible.

Noel Borthwick
    jimkleban
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/18 22:03:41 (permalink)
    This was very indicative of why I have stuck with CAKE since the late 80s.  You guys always go the extra mile.  This feature does nothing for me but the fact that you (Noel) jumped on this as an opportunity is really impressive.

Thanks a TON for all you do from one end user,
    Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
    www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
    4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
    Splat (latest version)
    Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/19 07:50:49 (permalink)
    Michael I was able to rework the code to handle this natively. Your 48 channel file now imports ok.
    It will require a bunch of testing so it might take awhile before you see the fix but it works now...

Noel Borthwick
    mudgel
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/20 08:24:12 (permalink)
    Wow. That's great. I wonder though with so few affected by this issue, actually just the one person we know of, why this issue has got such immediate attention. Just asking for understanding!

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/20 08:33:07 (permalink)
    There are hardware vendors who also write multichannel audio files like TASCAM and Roland. 
    Also we try and remove dependencies on problematic 3rd party API's as far as possible and this item was already on my dolist. In general 3rd party compatibility esp with file I/O is a high priority item with us.

Noel Borthwick
    mudgel
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/07/23 15:25:58 (permalink)
    This is a great learning opportunity when you get involved in the discussion Noël. Thanks..

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

mrhoades
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/08/05 12:37:41 (permalink)
    That is good news Noel... I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your dedicated effort here. I purchased the new version of Sonar Professional and am looking forward to an update for it that includes this fix... I am working on a 72 channel algorithm and am anxious to test it.   :)

While I have you here I would like to mention that Sonar is rather inefficient, regarding workflow, in the way it responds to a multi-channel import. I have to select track 1 and then import. When Sonar imports it it creates, for instance, 8 new tracks above what was previously track one. I then have to drag those tracks down to the correct track and then go up an select the new track 1 folder and all of its tracks and delete them. It would be nice if, when I import a multi-channel file, I could select the first track that the first channel of the file will begin on. For instance, I could select track 1 and then import the file and it would be on track one through how ever many channels it contains... for instance 8. This is difficult to describe in writing... Do you get what I am saying?

Thanks tons again Noel... 

Michael
    mrhoades
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/08/05 12:41:48 (permalink)
    Also, Noel, I do truly appreciate the attention you are giving this issue when I am apparently the only one affected by it... right now... I think as time passes large numbers of speakers will be incorporated into many more facilities including homes... Right now there are some progressive movie theaters that are using 3D spatialization and games are beginning to incorporate it as well... So this is the future!!

Thanks for understanding!!

Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Importing a Multichannel .Wav File 2015/08/05 14:12:20 (permalink)
    Is Multichannel flac supported for import/export?
    If not, now windows 10 is supporting it maybe this is a good idea?
    There's also this new NI "stems" format I'm not a big fan of (I also feel they've hijacked an industry standard term), they should have gone with FLAC IMHO.

thanks...

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1