AnsweredImporting file from Melodyne Studio into Sonar

Author
dscoyne
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
2018/04/11 01:38:08 (permalink)

Importing file from Melodyne Studio into Sonar

I have a completed recording, including a vocal, in Melodyne Studio 4 because I changed the tempo of the song.  Now I am trying to figure out how to export it to Sonar so I can add some drums, etc.

I tried saving it as a .wav file but could not see how to bring that file into Sonar because Sonar lists the file types you bring in, but .wav is not among them, nor is the type of extension that Melodyne uses.  MIDI is listed but that is probably not suitable since this song has a vocal.

I used the Standalone version of Melodyne because that gives more good control over tempo changes supposedly.  Could I still use the ARA ability of Sonar to bring it in?  Or is there another way?

Any ideas what I'm missing?  Thanks.

noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Importing file from Melodyne Studio into Sonar 2018/04/11 03:37:16 (permalink)
I must admit I'm not exactly clear what you're going for, but it seems you're using Melodyne Studio as a DAW itself.
OK, I guess that works, with some obvious limitations.
Can't you just add a new blank audio track in Sonar, and drag n' drop the resulting WAV file there from the Sonar file browser ?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Importing file from Melodyne Studio into Sonar 2018/04/11 05:32:36 (permalink)
I guess the main reason for ding this, is stability when you have 8 tracks you are working with that are the length of the song each, rather than chunks of a track when taken from sonar. So I guess you have both multi tracks and a Tempo map and key to import.

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Importing file from Melodyne Studio into Sonar 2018/04/11 08:55:15 (permalink)
I don't get it - you say SONAR can't import a wav-file!!?? Of course it can! Every audio track it records is wav.
Or are you trying to import a file that includes several tracks?
Import > audio or drag the wav-file into a track in the track view.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Importing file from Melodyne Studio into Sonar 2018/04/11 16:12:59 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby dscoyne 2018/04/20 03:48:31
Melodyne saves projects in its own proprietary format. You have to export the tracks as waves (File -> Export), and then they can be easily imported into SONAR. Keep in mind that tempo changes won't be automatically applied to the SONAR project. But if one of your Melodyne tracks is a metronome or click track, SONAR can create a tempo map to match it. Sorry, it's been too long since I last did that to give you step-by-step instructions. Try referencing the Melodyne online help.

I suppose it might be do-able to create blank tracks in SONAR, insert Melodyne's interface plugin, open the Melodyne project and then transfer data by freezing the tracks, but I've never actually done that.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Importing file from Melodyne Studio into Sonar 2018/04/11 17:47:50 (permalink)
You are obviously trying to import the wav the wrong way. The easiest way is to browse to it in win explorer then just drag it into the track view or into the track you want it in.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Importing file from Melodyne Studio into Sonar 2018/04/11 18:52:48 (permalink)
Sounds like your tying to open the wav file using Sonars FILE menu. That's only for the couple of Cakewalk formats and midi. 
I see a problem here as your saying it's a multi track file? Didn't know Melodyn did more than stereo. ?
If it's just a stereo audio file then create a new Cakewalk project and as said above  you "import" the wav file which can be done a few ways. Easiest by far is to drag it from the Browser on the right. 
But if your adding midi parts after the fact you will need to have the project set at that exact tempo first. If there are tempo variations I'm not sure what you can do as that is a can of worms. 

Really in the future you should start with the drums or at least a project with your tempo set the way it will be. You can tool copy audio tracks into 3rd party software, never thought about Melodyn but might be possible, but I guess we would always just use the supplied method and open as a regional effect. So not sure why you choose that workflow as now you will have an issue syncing that vocal track to a midi tempo. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

dscoyne
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Importing file from Melodyne Studio into Sonar 2018/04/20 04:12:24 (permalink)
bitflipper said, "Melodyne saves projects in its own proprietary format. You have to export the tracks as waves (File -> Export), and then they can be easily imported into SONAR."

Sorry for the delay in responding to all these helpful answers.  I was not sent the responses even though I had checked the box that requested them, and I thought I was not getting any responses at all.  Finally I went directly to check.

My problem was that I was trying to Save the Melodyne file as a .wav file, which it will not do, and Sonar will not recognize the Melodyne format (.mpd).  But when I Exported it instead to a separate folder, then I was able to make it a .wav file, which I was then able to open in Sonar as an audio file in a new project. 

Thanks to bitflipper and everyone else for the help......Don

rbecker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 740
Re: Importing file from Melodyne Studio into Sonar 2018/04/20 13:41:43 (permalink)
Sorry for not responding sooner. I also use Melodyne Studio as a standalone, and I know exactly what you are dealing with.

Melodyne does some odd things with how it deals with files...not 'Windows Standard' as we are all used to. This makes saving and bringing up files in Melodyne a strange experience. A while back they made it even stranger by sticking the .wav files intended to export from Melodyne to wherever in a separate 'export' folder, and also did some weird things if you tried to re-save a file to export...I am not in Melodyne now and so can't be real exact here, but just know that the file stuff is rather odd and non-intuitive.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
---
Sonar Platinum
HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
Windows 10
Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1