Impulse Reverbs

Author
mikehattem
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 195
2005/10/14 10:20:16 (permalink)

Impulse Reverbs

How much better or different are the Impulse-based reverbs like SIR or the Voxengo one compared to the Sonitus:Reverb plugin (which I kinda like for most situations)... also is it only me that can never seem to get a more workable reverb out of Pantheon than the Sonitus plug... I know if I spent alot more time with it I could but I like a more intuitive plugin... Any thoughts on the impulse reverbs??

Mike

3 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Impulse Reverbs 2005/10/14 10:34:04 (permalink)
    I wondering the same thing myself, and am about to try. From what I read the IRs are something else in quality.

Voxengo Prestine space is nice since it's zero delay and runs fine in realtime as well. SIR is not zerodelay yet(Read about that developer is coding this) and can not be run sounding as it should in realtime while mixing.

But was seem to be the case also is that IRs convolution stuff are not better that the actuall IR fed to it. The ones shipped with Voxengo products seems to be done with their own IR modeler. In that case you might as well make a plug of it's own without the actuall external IRs and having the controls like the modeler has.

The real recorded IRs in physical space or through amps etc would have more detailed information about what it should contain, is my guess. If you try to emulate it with software you can just as well have the controls in the plug itself too.
    joetabby
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Impulse Reverbs 2005/10/15 10:57:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lfm
    But was seem to be the case also is that IRs convolution stuff are not better that the actuall IR fed to it.

Hi Lars, it's been a while!

Convolution is definitely a GIGO situation and it can be pretty resource intensive, but it can produce outstanding results especially with well-edited stereo IR. I don't see it as a generic replacement for reverb plugins, however, as much as a different approach to modeling an environment in which spacial verisimilitude is what you're really after. Reverb plugins still have their place. I, too, like the Sonitus reverb, but more and more I like the free GlaceVerb even better.

If you haven't done so already, checkout Noisevault.com -- cAPLOCK has the best convolution site around for both impulse downloads and information. Also it's worth checking out Peter Roos's IR work at Samplicity.com. I believe he has a couple demo IR's for downloading.

Regards,

Joe Tabby
    blueelectron9
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Impulse Reverbs 2005/10/15 11:17:31 (permalink)
    I'm just now trying out the new reverb in S5 and love it. It's an order-of-magnitude better than anything I've used so far (Sonitus, Pantheon). It's much more "natural" sounding to me.

BTW, for some projects, I used to like Pantheon better, and others required Sonitus. I suppose it really mattered what I was putting through them. I'm sticking with the convolution reverb for now, though. It's pure joy.

Best,
    Scotty
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1