Individual Levels

Author
kmsomethingmore
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2011/01/03 13:50:13 (permalink)

Individual Levels

Hi all,

I am just thinking out loud here...well here's what I am currently doing.... it's likely not right, wrong, I am learning by doing, and of course from what I read you all doing.  I am only trying to get better, not come up with the next billboard #1 hit.  I am limited with my equipment and situation financially, so I do my best with what I got, and that isnt much.  However, I do have enough to get some decent sounds happening as my skillset improves using these tools I do have.   

I am currently running Sonar 7 Pro.  I am laying down some bed tracks, rendering to WAV from band in a box, real tracks, drums and bass mainly for now.  I lay out my song beginning to end chord wise and then I render wavs of Bass and Drums parts I like.  I then dump them into Sonar, where my project begins.  By the way these drums and bass parts are sounding nice (better than I could ever mic, because I do not know how), I am not sure what you all think of Band in a box real tracks?  For my situation, it's working great for now, practically speaking, etc.  Anyway, long story short........

Say I get to the point of dumping some more tracks in like piano, guitar, vocals, etc.  I have been using Boost 11  at settings of 6 and -2 on the two knobs for boosting my mixdown to a single wav file to how it all is sounding out in my car.  I am just wondering where each individual track should sit on it's own as far as level is concerned?  I have not been tweaking the levels on the tracks, only volume wise mixing, does that make sense?  I mix my imported wavs by volume only, panning etc.  Some here comes my main question:

Is it okay to use boost 11 on each track to get it as loud as possible before, then process, bounce, whatever to have new wavs that are all hot level wise.  Then begin to mix?  I am finding sometimes I am getting clipping on certain tracks when mixing.  It's frustrating because I don't like lowering things till I don't see any red clips in the master channel.  Sometimes this means lowering bass and drums that are sounding nice together, then when I lower their volumes the punch is gone.  I know I am a newbie, please help.  :)   I have been experimenting with EQing each track as well.  But I try not to over do it, as I really don't know much about each part sitting in its own little pocket to be best heard in the mix.  (I do want to learn that as I go though). 

I know there's likely other threads here about this, but sometimes it's like a needle in a haystack for me finding what I need.  I hope someone can give me a few tips considering my current tracking situation above. 

Thanks,
Kevin

21 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/03 16:27:28 (permalink)
    Don't use boost 11 on every track - it is a mastering limiter.  It can cause more problems than it solves on tracks, as you are finding.

The first thing is to find some music like what you'd want to make,and listen to the relative levels of the instruments.  Then try to copy it.  When mixing, it is art, not science, except for "do no harm" on basic tracks.

It is a long process, so start learning and experimenting.  Record at 24 bit (or convert if necessary) and you should have plenty of headroom to bring down levels to mix.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/03 16:55:14 (permalink)
    Drums and bass tolerate well compression - but don't go extreme unless you know where you're heading to.
    Depending on the tracks I'd say in mixing phase #1 is volume automation to even out things (this mostly for vocals)
    #2 is some compression (not Boost 11) for drums and bass (and for vocals if the automation isn't enough) # 3 subtle compression for other instruments, if really needed.

EQ is another story.

Don't be afraid to highpass rhythm guitars (150-200 Hz) or all of  the lowest end (below 40 Hz) and such. Depending on the singer you can cut everything from the vocals below 150-200 Hz.

Small things like slight, narrow boost for kick drum at 50-60 Hz and around 800 Hz can do good.

If you have something like normal piano or organs in your projects, played with two hands, the lower end of it can conflict with the bass, so it may need radical cutting etc. etc. Experiment. It does take time.

Boost 11 is quite coarse tool. I wouldn't use a limiter like that elsewhere than in the Master Bus, and even there with caution.

There are other quite good tools for master bus in Sonar, like LP64.

Leave good headroom for the mastering stage, there's no need to go muc hover something like -6 dB.
    If you see red clips the master bus you're  sabotaging your work.

And...I'm just an amateur, there are better teachers here than I am.
    post edited by Kalle Rantaaho - 2011/01/03 16:57:05

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    kmsomethingmore
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/03 21:06:02 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone, I look forward to hearing more.  It's so true that there's sooooo much to learn.  From the start I like learning the major no no's, like adding  boost to all the tracks, thanks for that one guys! :)
    kmsomethingmore
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/03 21:08:12 (permalink)
    Do you think my real tracks from Band in a Box 2011 are as good as I think they are/sound?  Am I being tricked I wonder?   I did not buy the more expensive (audiophile) ones. 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/03 21:08:25 (permalink)
    Kevin,

I too use BB to produce tracks for tunes.

There is no need to put B11 in every track to try to get them as loud as possible. The whole point of music and mixing is to get something that sounds natural and balanced. Often that means setting a level on a certain track really low, not loud. I don't have B11 since I am only running MC4. But I don't  even try to get everything or anything as loud as I can. I try to have a balance of volume with dynamics. You can use any compressor to increase the volume, but I don't try to go that route.

I use envelopes to raise and lower levels automatically and quite often I will envelope the tracks out totally in places. Listen to your favorite genre and bands and listen carefully to how they were mixed. You can learn a lot by listening closely.

I like to put my mastering plugs in the master bus. If your DAW is able to handle that, it works fine.

Ultimately, you need to find what works for you and sounds good when you're done.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    kmsomethingmore
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/06 23:41:14 (permalink)

Thanks, Guitarhacker.
    I was curious to know.... should I make sure my master knob stays at zero, or can you lower it to reduce peaks?  I would assume we want it at zero the whole way of the project to mixdown, and even then in mastering?  It can be raised I see too, is this in case you can nudge it some if there's no clipping yet on it?
    Also, if one track is fine, but has this one spot that clips badly, what's the suggest process or tool to clip it out so to speak.  Because I don't like to have to lower it in the mix just because of one place it clips?  Maybe the eraser tool or something lets me trim it off witout hurting the rest of the track quality?  Hmmm?  So many questions! :) 

Kevin,

I too use BB to produce tracks for tunes.

There is no need to put B11 in every track to try to get them as loud as possible. The whole point of music and mixing is to get something that sounds natural and balanced. Often that means setting a level on a certain track really low, not loud. I don't have B11 since I am only running MC4. But I don't  even try to get everything or anything as loud as I can. I try to have a balance of volume with dynamics. You can use any compressor to increase the volume, but I don't try to go that route.

I use envelopes to raise and lower levels automatically and quite often I will envelope the tracks out totally in places. Listen to your favorite genre and bands and listen carefully to how they were mixed. You can learn a lot by listening closely.

I like to put my mastering plugs in the master bus. If your DAW is able to handle that, it works fine.

Ultimately, you need to find what works for you and sounds good when you're done.

kmsomethingmore
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/06 23:43:51 (permalink)
    I guess I could always v-vocal, and go in there and lower the troublesome volume peak that's making the clip? 
    I know it allows one to raise and lower volume anywhere along the wav precisely. 
    Hmmmm, maybe I do know more than I think! :)
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/07 04:03:28 (permalink)
    The best advice I can give you would be to go out and buy 'Mixing Audio' by Roey Izhaki. It is HIGHLY worth you buying this or a similar book. The small amount of money is NEGLIGIBLE compared to the learning you will achieve and the speed at which you achieve it (you will learn the basics faster than here on the forum). As you have mentioned, there is so much for you still to learn and you have SO many questions out there that it would take everyone here a huge amount of time to answer them all. Not that we don't want to help, it's just going to be much easier to do some really good reading of that book to get a better understanding of the whole topic and then you can come back and ask specific questions as they pop up (while you're reading the book or after you have finished).

This book pretty much covers beginners to intermediates so you should get a fair whack of good reading out of this book. At the level you are at, multiple readings will be essential. Don't expect to get it all first go. It can many re-reads to get your head around some of these concepts if you are a beginner at mixing.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/07 04:05:41 (permalink)
    And v-vocal is not necessary. You can apply 'clip volume automation' to individual tracks and use this to change the volume of certain parts. Check the help file for further details on this.

Good luck!

Buy the book!!!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/07 06:58:19 (permalink)
    +1 For the Izhaki book. I'm currently on my 3rd read and still absorbing new information.

Regarding your master fader - yep, it should stay at zero. Any level changes necessary to keep it that way should/must be done at track or bus level. I like to try and keep all my busses at 0 as well, though sometimes (rarely) this isn't possible.

To tame one peak on a track, lower it at that point using automation envelopes, though unless is audibly clpping/distorting (and pushing your master into the red) let your ears be your guide.

You can, in theory,  overload your tracks with complete impunity, provided your master stays out of the red.

It's like watching a game of Bullseye.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    kmsomethingmore
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/10 13:01:30 (permalink)
    So here's a current mix issue.  I have my song nearly done minus a good vocal pass, and some edits here and there.  In my car it's sounding pretty nice for a noob like me.  However, my drums are just not giving me that umph I want to hear.  Do I bump them up and then try to carve the rest around them (vol wise) (they are also all on one track, not ideal I know, I could mess with just the kick drum otherwise...... but that's band in a box limitations I guess, it makes a WAV of the whole drum track)?  For now I am going to keep trucking with the one track drums. 

Or is there a way to boost them properly within my current mix, the thing is, to up their track volume now, I'll get clips on the master.  I am really close to having a nice mix! 
    kmsomethingmore
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/10 13:17:29 (permalink)
    thanks for the book
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/10 13:34:12 (permalink)
    I think it's possible to export a midi drum track out of BB... look it up. I generally don't export midi but I'm pretty sure it's possible, I think I recalled doing it one time just to see how to do it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/10 13:59:02 (permalink)
    yep.  I do it all the time.  FILE>MAKE A STANDARD MIDI FILE

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/10 14:00:18 (permalink)
    there used to be this thing called 'dynamics'

and seriously, as time goes by, and new fads kick in, seems that most current pop and rock releases have precious little dynamics in their tracks.

people have gotten used to brickwall limiting, and younger folks who only listen to current releases, really don't know any different.

if you listen to older classic rock albums before the advent of modern digital, ok, examples would be pink floyd dark side, or zeppelin 4, and then jump to later mixes that were closer to the midrange timing of when things changed, like U2's joshua tree, listen to any of these albums, CRANKED up, and feel the power of the mix.

then, if you put on any modern mix from 2010, with the speakers set at the same volume, you'll probably blow out every speaker!!

why?

because even tho brick wall limiting was available way back when, folks knew better than to kill their dynamics with it.

now, it's all about final playback volume, and everything is getting killed to fit the new 'playback' model.

i track at pretty conservative volume levels during tracking, peaking at about -10, with RMS that's probably around -18.

i want my individual tracks full of dynamics, and headroom.

on mixdown, i'll buss groups of tracks, apply liberal compression and some limiting for problem areas (inconsistant snare hits are perfect for hard limiting just the tops)....

then on mastering, i'll push a bit with MBC, and a last limiter with brickwall, to get my overall levels up to close to pro release, within reason.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/10 14:42:40 (permalink)
    It's like watching a game of Bullseye.

Yeah but this game is rock and roll, points start sometime after 2 in a bed.....

;-)

Child
    kmsomethingmore
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/10 15:00:21 (permalink)
    okay then I can use EZ drummer in Sonar with this new midi file....hmmm, will have to try
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/10 15:27:15 (permalink)
    kmsomethingmore

okay then I can use EZ drummer in Sonar with this new midi file....hmmm, will have to try

that's how I do MOST of my drum tracks (except I use Superior Drummer 2)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/10 21:41:07 (permalink)
    Beware over-limiting the drums. Nothing can suck the punch out of drums like an abused limiter. Limiting is a balancing act, striking a balance between fullness and micro-dynamics. This holds true for all genres, the only difference being whether you favor volume or preserving transients. They are yin and yang; you cannot maximize both.

There is no universal rule for all types of music, as the amount and type of compression are a big part of what defines different genres. It would help if you described the type of music you do. That would allow others who work in a similar vein to offer specific tips.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/18 06:53:53 (permalink)
    i been patching boost 11 into a bus..might not be the right way to be using it but that way i can trol even more how much i add to the mix
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Individual Levels 2011/01/18 11:51:45 (permalink)
    Yes, Boost11 is most often used on a bus.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1