Infinite Skyline by ZMobius

Author
Z_Mobius
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2012/07/14 23:44:16 (permalink)

Infinite Skyline by ZMobius

I just posted one of my newest songs, Speedway 75, the other day, but I found time to finish mixing this 9 minute song I've been working on for a while. And I think it turned out pretty nicely. Here's the link:

http://soundcloud.com/zmobius/infinite-skyline

It's a bit of a change from the music I've been uploading, since it has a bit of a trance feel and is much longer. Though my music is mostly a blend of jazz and electronica, note that it is an experimental piece with sections that are ambient and other sections that are melodic. The first and last sections of the song are actually trance, while the middle section is a bit more jazz fusion.
post edited by Z_Mobius - 2012/07/15 12:43:51

MOBiUS Recording and Publishing - The Sound of Innovation

http://mobiussounds.weebly.com

6 Replies Related Threads

theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:Infinite Skyline by ZMobius 2012/07/15 00:59:29 (permalink)
    To tell you the truth IMO, I think this piece is way to long, unless of course your into that sort of thing. I sounded like you put 4 or 5 songs together to get one final piece. I found there to be alot of repatition to the piece, although in the middle was the best creativity. The beginning part seemed like it was never going to stop or change. I will admit though there are quite alot of different change up, but this was just to much to concentrate on. I think if you shortened some of the over extended parts and leave in the more creative keyboard parts, you would have a much better composition. This of corse is just my opinion. I try to keep my music to 3-4 minutes at the very longest. Your piece because of the many variations sounded more of a medley of different pieces spliced all together. I don't know where you were coming from on this piece, so it is hard for me to give more of an opinion having more information needed to be a bit less discriptive on my opinion. Lots of good stuff, but make 2, 3, or even 4 different pieces out of this. Maybe you just wanted one loooooong dance piece for the disco club. Good luck with this. Lots of good stuff, but for me just to long. Peace be with you. Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    Z_Mobius
    Re:Infinite Skyline by ZMobius 2012/07/15 01:25:47 (permalink)
    theguitarplayer

To tell you the truth IMO, I think this piece is way to long, unless of course your into that sort of thing. I sounded like you put 4 or 5 songs together to get one final piece. I found there to be alot of repatition to the piece, although in the middle was the best creativity. The beginning part seemed like it was never going to stop or change. I will admit though there are quite alot of different change up, but this was just to much to concentrate on. I think if you shortened some of the over extended parts and leave in the more creative keyboard parts, you would have a much better composition. This of corse is just my opinion. I try to keep my music to 3-4 minutes at the very longest. Your piece because of the many variations sounded more of a medley of different pieces spliced all together. I don't know where you were coming from on this piece, so it is hard for me to give more of an opinion having more information needed to be a bit less discriptive on my opinion. Lots of good stuff, but make 2, 3, or even 4 different pieces out of this. Maybe you just wanted one loooooong dance piece for the disco club. Good luck with this. Lots of good stuff, but for me just to long. Peace be with you. Blessings, John

Thanks for listening! Well, first I would like to point out that it isn't a dance song at all; it wasn't meant to be. It is really a blend of trance and jazz fusion. It is very common for trance songs to be long and repetitive to an extent, and jazz compositions are rarely as short as 3-4 minutes at the very longest (pure jazz can be up to 10 minutes or longer). Also, if I separated this into 3 or 4 different songs, it would effectively be 3 or 4 songs with almost exactly the same chord progression. But seeing as your compositions are mostly short guitar/vocal pieces, it seems you may be unfamiliar with the electronica genre. But in any case, I am always open to constructive criticism, so again, thanks for the review.

Purple Rhapsody
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    Re:Infinite Skyline by ZMobius 2012/07/15 02:44:54 (permalink)
    I enjoyed this overall - although some of the sections did seem to keep on repeating the same chords again and again without variation making it hard to keep my attention focussed on the track.

It wasn't what I expected, when you said 'trance' and 'electronic jazz' I expected something more jazz in feel and variation. Although I'm not a huge listener of jazz, my expectation of a jazz track would have much more variety around the chords (not perhaps changing the chords themselves too often but having more variety in the way they're interpreted).

Part of my problem in commenting, I suppose, is that I don't know what trance electronic jazz is supposed to sound like! Could you name a couple of artists I could look up so that I know what you were aiming for?

Overall I enjoyed it though.

Cheers,
    Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Infinite Skyline by ZMobius 2012/07/15 10:16:50 (permalink)
    I can only echo what has been said.  I'm not as familiar with Trance as you may be, but I know Jazz.  To me, Jazz is associated with improvisation and unpredictability, not repetition.  That being said, you are undeniably creative, and your creativity went on a sea cruise with this piece.  Other than the length of the composition, my only crit is your drum programming.  Some of your snare rolls sound very machine gun like.  I've heard a lot of drummers and none that played a roll like that.  Rarely is every note in a snare roll the exact same volume (MIDI wise).  You might consider "humanizing" the drums somewhat so it's less clear they're MIDI.  You've found some success by lowering the overall volume on other songs, but these drums sound "canned".  Nevertheless, I applaud your prolific output and hope that you consider the advice you have and will receive. 

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Z_Mobius
    Re:Infinite Skyline by ZMobius 2012/07/15 11:43:39 (permalink)
    Purple Rhapsody

I enjoyed this overall - although some of the sections did seem to keep on repeating the same chords again and again without variation making it hard to keep my attention focussed on the track.

It wasn't what I expected, when you said 'trance' and 'electronic jazz' I expected something more jazz in feel and variation. Although I'm not a huge listener of jazz, my expectation of a jazz track would have much more variety around the chords (not perhaps changing the chords themselves too often but having more variety in the way they're interpreted).

Part of my problem in commenting, I suppose, is that I don't know what trance electronic jazz is supposed to sound like! Could you name a couple of artists I could look up so that I know what you were aiming for?

Overall I enjoyed it though.

Cheers,
    Terry.
    I can honestly say that you probably won't find any artists that use the same style that this song uses because it's heavily experimental. Sections of the song are trance, and other sections of the song are jazz fusion, which is why in the first and last sections you hear more ambiance and in the middle section more melody. (There's no possible way to combine ambient and melodic sounds, so that's the reason for the separation) The trance sections are used for effect. The beginning section is all really build-up to 2:51, where the melodic section begins. The section beginning at 6:18 is a reprise of the beginning to bring an outro to the song. Had it not been there, the song would sound incomplete.

I will make sure to edit the OP and add that it is an experimental piece. The fact that I mentioned it is electronic jazz is misleading because of the long trance sections.

ABeautifulVirus
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re:Infinite Skyline by ZMobius 2012/07/15 12:29:57 (permalink)
    interesting. but i'm not sure if the morphology of 'jazz' would be inclusive here. it's more trance IMO with a few jazzicle gestures.  that being said, it's an excellent recording and valid work of art. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1