Inna - No Fire Kick

Author
Art1820m
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
2010/09/02 19:08:22 (permalink)

Inna - No Fire Kick

Hi everyone, I was wondering how can I achieve a very punchy and low-end kick for house or trance , I have a link to youtube. I like the mix its so perfect the kind I'm after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43bkKzukS5s

Im using the same kind of kick sound also, but I dont get the big sound. I compress I eq to get the tonal color and still no luck!

And does anyone know who did the mixing? Whoever it is they did a excellent job.

thank you

Intel Desktop From MARS, the planet ..  
application: Sonar  version 8.5.3 PE

Samplitude Pro X
sound card   Focusrite Scarlette

more of my stuff
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Artbluevibe

11 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/02 19:40:30 (permalink)
    Hi there Art1820m that kick does sound great! Dont forget it might be more than one kick sound that has been layered in order to get the final sound. Just because it sounds like one sample it does not mean it is. Once you start layering things up you have a lot more control over the kick sound. eg depth, punch, tops etc...My first impression was it sounded like a Roland TR 808 kick a bit. That is a fat sound. Why dont you start there and build on it.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/03 01:05:18 (permalink)
    Sounds a lot like a 909 to me but could really be an 808 as well like Jeff said. Load up the Roland GrooveSynth and check out the rythm sets, they contain lots of great classic Roland sounds and should get what you want. Just firing it up and checking fast, both the Plastic BD3 and TR909 kick 4 from the 909set are in the ballpark. The GS really has some great sounds so don't forget about it just because of it's dated GUI and limited tweakability.

Oh, and the punch in that kick is not from the low end but rather the high mids (listening on computer speakers though). It's often a good idea to layer a fat low end kick for thump with a brigther snappier one for punch but always carve the EQ so the don't mask each other as well as check for phase issues.

What is also often done in dance genres is to duck the bass (or entire track) from the kick so each time the kick hits the choosen parts drop a few dB's and then pumps back up. This can be done by setting up a bus with VC64 or the Sonitus comp, routing the tracks you want to pump through that bus and then use a send from the kick to the sidechain input of the compressor. Don't forget to set the release so it pumps in time with the music. 
    post edited by Legion - 2010/09/03 01:11:33

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    cho_drummer
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/03 06:07:44 (permalink)
    FYI on the ducking front. You can use a Sonitus fx Gate and change it from gate to duck in the GUI.
    Legion
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/03 06:45:53 (permalink)
    Cool, didn't know that. Usually use VC64 but might be worth trying something different.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/03 07:09:04 (permalink)
    Ididn't know that either. I've used the Sonitus comp for ducking before, with some success. Must give the gate a try.

And a big +1 for layering your kicks, especially in the dance genre.

I usually blend an acoustic kick from BFD2 with an 808 from the GS.

Result - MONSTRO kick!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/03 08:25:25 (permalink)
    Multi-band compression and EQ.

I use Ozone.... it has multi-band compression and EQ.  

You can dial in the kick and punch to your liking. It's not a cure all but it sure helps me get that punchy sound in the music.

Give it a try.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Art1820m
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/03 16:48:00 (permalink)
    thank you everybody for the great posts, however I did use ducking on all the tracks besides the kick, but I will try  layering the kick and see how will sound. And one thing I noticed the synth  bass is not loud enough and doesn't have too much low-end, almost nothing, I can guess that it is peaking around  250hz or something.

Intel Desktop From MARS, the planet ..  
    application: Sonar  version 8.5.3 PE

Samplitude Pro X
    sound card   Focusrite Scarlette

more of my stuff
    http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Artbluevibe
    Legion
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/04 03:32:09 (permalink)
    The most important thing if you don't want to tweak for ages is sound selection. You say you use a similar kick but it might be worth lookin further to find a kick that better fit your mix. As I said also, the punch does not come from the bottom end.

Layering can work great but check for phase issues as you can accidently make your kick weaker instead. Also, most of the time when layering use one sound for the low end and one for the high end of the spectrum cutting everything else to avoid conflicts.

When it comes to compression you really need to be careful when using samples. Samples are very often really compressed and EQ'd to begin with so if you don't really know what you want to get out of using the compressor (more decay, snap etc) it can often be a good idea to leave it alone as you might make the sample weaker otherwise.

ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/04 15:59:11 (permalink)
    cho_drummer

FYI on the ducking front. You can use a Sonitus fx Gate and change it from gate to duck in the GUI.

I actually prefer to side chain the Sonitus compressor so it breathes better, and use the gate when I want to get that sucking and or breathing effect.

And I create a complete song-length kick part then route it to its own output and send that output to "none" so that it doesn't sound or go through the master or mains.  That way I can do a send from that output to the master bus where the Sonitus will reside and not have to worry about when/if the kick is actually playing (ie, some times you'll drop the kick out of a song at spots, so by having a whole song length non-sounding kick you get complete song-length control over the side-chain).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    ba_midi
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/04 16:01:36 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Multi-band compression and EQ.

I use Ozone.... it has multi-band compression and EQ.  

You can dial in the kick and punch to your liking. It's not a cure all but it sure helps me get that punchy sound in the music.

Give it a try.

If anyone is concerned about CPU cycles, a better solution is Izotope's ALLOY, which is a mini-version of Ozone (though lacking the full array of features of course).  It's MUCH lighter on the CPU but has most of the functionality of Ozone, including multi-band limiting, M/S processing, etc.   It's very easy on the CPU as I mention, and can be used on multiple tracks without much strain on a system.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Inna - No Fire Kick 2010/09/04 16:04:42 (permalink)
    Art1820m

thank you everybody for the great posts, however I did use ducking on all the tracks besides the kick, but I will try  layering the kick and see how will sound. And one thing I noticed the synth  bass is not loud enough and doesn't have too much low-end, almost nothing, I can guess that it is peaking around  250hz or something.
    Instead of guessing, why not throw Sonar's "Analyst" on the track (or master bus) and see what freqs are actually there ?   (Or Voxengo's *free* SPAN analyzer)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1