Input Monitoring

Author
smartin110
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2005/09/10 12:09:04 (permalink)

Input Monitoring

My problem is that I want to be able to hear the track I'm recording through my headphones as I record it. Maybe I should explain. I'm really taking a bargain-basement approach to recording my music. I've been mic - ing my acoustic tracks while wearing headphones. For clean guitar and bass tracks, I'm plugging each instrument directly into my 1/4" mic jack on the front of my computer with an adaptor. Using the headphones works fine with the acoustic parts, as I can hear the instrument over the headphones while I play. My problems start when I'm recording a bass or vocal track and have no way of hearing what I'm playing or singing. I have enabled Input Monitoring, but when I do so there is about a 1 second delay applied to the track I'm recording, making it absolutely useless. Unless, of course, I'd be interested in knowing that I hit a bad note 1 second ago. The only solution I know of would be to mic everything, and play through my amps, but that still won't eliminate the problem with my vocal tracks unless I listened to all of my tracks through my monitor speakers without headphones while I sing the vocals, which, of course, would cause the mic to pick up all of the other instruments being played through the speakers. My sound card is a Realtek AC97 Audio. It came with my cheap-ass Compaq computer. Am I attempting the impossible? Am I trying to make chicken salad out of chicken s**t?

1 Reply Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Input Monitoring 2005/09/11 02:02:30 (permalink)
    That is a general problem with computer recording, as the sound card was not designed for this type process, it does not function well.

To monitor the mix you need to turn on input monitoring, that as you know causes delay, or just sing into the mike and not hear your self in the mix, that works but not well, another thing you can do is to take the headphones and send the mix into the left channel on the phones and only monitor with one ear, then with the right side of the headphones off your ear you can hear your self sing.

The best way is to head down to the local guitar center, sam ash , or online store and purchase a small mixer, like the behringer 802, this will allow you to monitor thru the control rom feature and hear the mix and the mike in the headphones and all is good, expect to pay around $60 for this jewel.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1