Input volume not working -Sonar 8

Author
mushroomman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
2009/01/16 14:14:15 (permalink)

Input volume not working -Sonar 8

All of a sudden, the individual channel volumes in Sonar 8 stopped working with a mic or instrument plugged in to my interface (decided to stick with Presonus Firestudio Project for now). I can control the input (and record volume) on the input channel of the Presonus, and the meters are activated in Sonar. You can turn the fader all the way up or down on the channel in Sonar, and it won't change anything. I'm hoping I accidentally did something in Sonar to cause this, and it can be easily remedied. I've searched, but can't find a solution.

-Steve

14 Replies Related Threads

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 14:16:28 (permalink)
    So what are you talking about?

When you say instrument, do you have an audio source plugged into your Firestudio device?

And you can't control volume of this track using Sonar's audio track volume control?

--kwgm
    mushroomman
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 14:26:01 (permalink)
    Yes, a mic (or guitar) plugged into the Presonus. I have recorded several songs over the past couple of weeks since I got a new computer, and everything was going pretty smooth. There is a signal coming from the Presonus, it is registering on the meters in Sonar, there is just no way to adjust the volume of the incoming signal for that mic or instrument in Sonar now. Just imagine you had a mic plugged in your interface, your interface plugged into your computer, you're getting a signal, and it appears everything is working fine. But, you get frustrated, because you cannot adjust the input level of your mic in Sonar.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 14:31:19 (permalink)
    The signal should not be adjusted by Sonar. You should have the signal level set with your hardware first. Sonar streams to disk the signal coming in and is not the proper point to adjust volume. It has to be done before Sonar sees the signal.

Best
    John
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 14:33:48 (permalink)
    SONAR never has adjusted the incoming signal. By the time SONAR sees the signal it has already hit your analog to digital converter so it's too late to fix any overload issue. If your A/D converter hasn't been overloaded, there is no need to worry about the input signal to SONAR.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    kwgm
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 14:35:59 (permalink)
    OK, thanks for clarifying. I wanted to be sure you weren't talking about a MIDI input track, where this problem is due to incorrect echo settings.

I've not seen this before, and it doen't make sense. So, let's try simple questions.

OK, open the Track Inspector and move the big fader (onscreen), to make sure you're moving the volume control and not the trim (they look alike). You can also see any effects or EQ on the track using the inspector, better than using the track view controls alone.

This is not a bus, right? Are there any effects on this track? Is the output port of this track set to your master bus output?

Is this a stereo or mono track? Is Sonar setup accordingly?

--kwgm
    Glennbo
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1840
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 14:39:38 (permalink)
    SONAR never has adjusted the incoming signal. By the time SONAR sees the signal it has already hit your analog to digital converter so it's too late to fix any overload issue.

Stop posting confusing facts Dave! ;)
    mushroomman
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 15:29:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kwgm

This is not a bus, right? Are there any effects on this track? Is the output port of this track set to your master bus output?

It's not a bus, it is a track (track 1, 2, 3, etc.). The output is set to Master. It is a mono track. It's a 3 week old computer, purchased from Sonica Labs, set-up by Guy, and I haven't messed with anything in setup.

Here's some more information: Before this started happening, when I launched Sonar, I wasn't getting any monitor volume on playback. This happens occasionally, and turning the Presonus on and off usually corrects it immediately. This time, it didn't, so I shut everything down and rebooted the computer (among trying various other things). When I relaunched Sonar, the monitors were working correctly during playback, but this issue (not being able to adjust the channel input vol. in Sonar) appeared. I thought maybe I had clicked something to cause this when I was trying to get my monitors working. Perhaps the Presonus is having issues ....

-Steve
    Glennbo
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 15:37:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mushroomman

It's not a bus, it is a track (track 1, 2, 3, etc.). The output is set to Master. It is a mono track. It's a 3 week old computer, purchased from Sonica Labs, set-up by Guy, and I haven't messed with anything in setup.

Here's some more information: Before this started happening, when I launched Sonar, I wasn't getting any monitor volume on playback. This happens occasionally, and turning the Presonus on and off usually corrects it immediately. This time, it didn't, so I shut everything down and rebooted the computer (among trying various other things). When I relaunched Sonar, the monitors were working correctly during playback, but this issue (not being able to adjust the channel input vol. in Sonar) appeared. I thought maybe I had clicked something to cause this when I was trying to get my monitors working. Perhaps the Presonus is having issues ....

-Steve

If you were ever able to control any volume of a live instrument in Sonar, it would have been from having direct monitoring from your sound card disabled, and input monitoring in Sonar enabled. (The very way I work in brand "R" 100% of the time.) Then a volume control in Sonar would have an effect the volume level you hear of the live instrument, but it would not have any effect over the level that's actually being recorded.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 15:44:04 (permalink)
    How do we explain this when the OP wont believe us about this? This notion has never changed even before there were such things as DAWs. Set the volume/levels in your hardware first then record it.

Best
    John
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 15:44:31 (permalink)
    Yes, a mic (or guitar) plugged into the Presonus. I have recorded several songs over the past couple of weeks since I got a new computer, and everything was going pretty smooth. There is a signal coming from the Presonus, it is registering on the meters in Sonar, there is just no way to adjust the volume of the incoming signal for that mic or instrument in Sonar now.

you never controlled the recorded signal in sonar. yuo control the recorded signal with everything in the gain stage before sonar. Your mouth, your preamp (if you have one) your presonus pre-amp or line ins , your pre sonus digital mixer. This is what controls the signal that will be recorded, not Sonar. Sonar will just measure it for you with its meter.
    so i really dont know what you mean by recorded several songs over the past week and was going pretty smooth. It still should be..
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    kwgm
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 15:46:23 (permalink)
    That's right, Steve. Do you understand?

You're adjusting the monitor volume out of Sonar, but not the audio input to the track. To adjust the input, one uses a mixer, which is probably in software that shipped with your audio device.

Enable the track's monitor button -- now is it working as you had it before?

--kwgm
    Glennbo
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 15:46:53 (permalink)
    How do we explain this when the OP wont believe us about this?

Maybe he should increase his latency and buy new hardware! <g>
    mushroomman
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 16:18:32 (permalink)

You're adjusting the monitor volume out of Sonar, but not the audio input to the track. To adjust the input, one uses a mixer, which is probably in software that shipped with your audio device.

Enable the track's monitor button -- now is it working as you had it before?

O.K., I am pretty green at all this and have a long way to go, but the quality of recordings is pretty damn good considering my level of ignorance.

I actually never even use the track's monitor button. And I can now understand that the recording volume cannot be adjusted within Sonar (but it sure seemed like it was). No, enabling the track's monitor button does not give me what I had before. What I could do before was adjust the incoming signal (even if it was a monitoring signal) with the volume fader knob on the individual tracks. And, it would adjust the meter levels as well. Now, the volume fader knob does neither. If I enable the track's monitor button, I can adjust the input volume with the fader knob (but with a very slight echo, which I attribute to latency), but I can no longer adjust the meter level.

By the way, thanks to all who have responded.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Input volume not working -Sonar 8 2009/01/16 16:26:53 (permalink)
    What I could do before was adjust the incoming signal (even if it was a monitoring signal) with the volume fader knob on the individual tracks. And, it would adjust the meter levels as well. Now, the volume fader knob does neither.

the volume fader in sonar will not raise or lower the recorded signal when you arm the track. its just how it works. When you arm the track, sonar goes into monitoring mode. The fader does nothing. Only when playback is enabled the fader will work. its always been like that. Crack the manual if you need to re asure yourself..
    actually never even use the track's monitor button. And I can now understand that the recording volume cannot be adjusted within Sonar (but it sure seemed like it was)

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1