Install Artist Collection on External Drive

Author
Paul D Grant
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2018/03/28 18:28:30 (permalink)

Install Artist Collection on External Drive

I want to move my Sonar Artist collection (Specifically Session Drummer 3) from the default install location (
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\Session Drummer 3) to an external drive. 
the installer ArtistInstrumentCollectionSetup_1.0.0.9 does not seem to have an option for install location 

I have tried copying the entire VstPlugIns folder to the external drive then updating the VST location path in Sonar Artist and performing a manual scan- but it keeps defaulting back to the default install location 

3 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Install Artist Collection on External Drive 2018/03/28 18:55:27 (permalink)
    I would not recommend installing any portion of the DAW onto an external drive but if you must. consider moving just the "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 3\Contents\Kits" or the folder above Kits to the external and create a directory junction for it. For example:
    0) assume the external drive is E: and moving only the kits to a new folder called E:\Samples\SD3\Kits
    1) open an Explorer window as administrator
    2) Create E:\Samples\SD3
    3) move "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 3\Contents\Kits" to E:\Samples\SD3
    4) open a Command Shell and type
    mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 3\Contents\Kits" E:\Samples\SD3\Kits
    Paul D Grant
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Install Artist Collection on External Drive 2018/03/29 11:14:44 (permalink)
    thank you scook for your prompt response

your answer worked vey well. very useful technique

for my application I left the dll file (SessionDrummer x64.dll) in its original spot and moved the Contents folder to my external drive. in Sonar I left a VST Scan path to the original vstplugins folder and performed a manual scan to update Sonar. took a couple of tries to get the mklink string correct. 

This exercise has been an experiment to see what kind of performance hits I take for using an external  drive.
    I am running from a decent Dell inspiron laptop with 16GB RAM and 250GB SSD drive. I was down to about 40GB on the SSD drive. Since I plan to continue adding larger libararies I wanted to explore my options

I am running Sonar Artist with Studio Instrument Colection and Artist Collection (including Studio Drummer 3), SampleTank3 Max with a lot of extra packs (51GB), Garritan Personal orchestra 5 (12GB). 

It helps quite a bit to offload some of the larger libraries. I realize SD3 is not a really large file but it is good to know I have options

So far I have not noticed any big performance hits. I am using a Seagate 1TB drive with USB3 connection and USB 3 port on my laptop

regards
    Paul grant

PS Not sure how to mark this as a valid answer
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Install Artist Collection on External Drive 2018/03/29 15:05:01 (permalink)
    All Cakewalk sample-based synths load all samples needed for a preset at once into memory. Moving the samples to a slower drive only affects project and preset loads. Third party samplers that stream from disk may not perform as well.

WRT
    Paul D Grant
    PS Not sure how to mark this as a valid answer

At the bottom right on each post is a menu. There are Answered and Helpful tags that may be enabled on a post. Also you may edit your initial post and add [Solved] to the subject line.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1