Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples?

Author
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
2006/08/14 15:08:18 (permalink)

Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples?

Is this possible? It sure would make reinstalling quicker.

Dean

12 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/14 15:46:55 (permalink)
    Windows or OSX?

-René
    vintagevibe
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2446
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/14 20:07:13 (permalink)
    Windows XP
    mosspa
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/14 22:04:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

Windows or OSX?

-René

Rene,

I started a thread this evening on my inability to get through the extraction program on the Shuttle computer I wanted to do my testing evaluations on. As I mentioned, I am installing DimPro on this ASUS computer as I type. I'm on to the 2nd DVD now, so it looks like it is going to complete. If what Dean asks is possible with Windows, would I be able to bypass the extraction of the sound lib, and just burn that directory onto a DVD+R DL disk andf copy it to the Shuttle. Then install everything but the soundfiles. This seems odd to me. I successfully installed Rapture and Z3TA+ last night. I reviewed Hallion 3 on that machine and had no problems installing its soundfiles. It would really be best if I could install all of the Cakewalk Instruments VIP Suite on the same computer for the review. I don't want to install it on the DAW, and the Shuttle is the only slave with enough resources available to adequately test the programs.
    post edited by mosspa - 2006/08/14 22:17:34

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    René
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/15 09:38:16 (permalink)
    Windows XP

How to install Dimension Pro on Windows XP without installing the contents (hack++):
    1. Copy the file DimensionProSetup.exe from the installation DVD1 to your hard disk.
    2. Run the copied file from the hard disk.
    3. Select all installation options, and when asked for the Multisamples folder point the installer to your current Multisamples folder, if any, or anywhere if you don't plan to have a \Multisamples folder or it's not available (i.e. net drives).
    4. When the installer asks for "Insert DVD2", stubbornly hit "OK' four times. The installer will proceed after that and will complete the installation.

-René
    René
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/15 09:54:41 (permalink)
    I started a thread this evening on my inability to get through the extraction program on the Shuttle computer I wanted to do my testing evaluations on. As I mentioned, I am installing DimPro on this ASUS computer as I type. I'm on to the 2nd DVD now, so it looks like it is going to complete. If what Dean asks is possible with Windows, would I be able to bypass the extraction of the sound lib, and just burn that directory onto a DVD+R DL disk andf copy it to the Shuttle. Then install everything but the soundfiles. This seems odd to me. I successfully installed Rapture and Z3TA+ last night. I reviewed Hallion 3 on that machine and had no problems installing its soundfiles. It would really be best if I could install all of the Cakewalk Instruments VIP Suite on the same computer for the review. I don't want to install it on the DAW, and the Shuttle is the only slave with enough resources available to adequately test the programs.

Are you saying that you installed successfully Dimension Pro in one computer while it failed in another, out of the same DVD set? If so, that sounds like a computer issue. Typical gotchas are:

1- Antivirus Software.
    Most antivirus will allow DP to install successfully, specially when operating on parallel NTFS streams. But some AV software simply do not want DP to write files to your hard disk, do not want the installer to write the registry, do consider the file extraction after installation a 'threatening' process, or simply makes the individual file extraction so umbelievably slow that the process timeouts.

To add to the equation, some AV software are incredibly stubborn to disable. Despite you select "disable" on the tray icon and it tells you it's disabled, it's not. You might want to try nuking the process using the Task Manager.

2. Hard Disk issues
    Make sure you have plenty of space (at least the 8GB required for the installation), in the destination drive at the time of install. Scandisk the drive, and it's a good idea to defragment before install. If you install on a fragmented drive, not only you'll pay the price as a slower installation time but you'll also pay that price *everytime* you load a program using the samples which resulted fragmented.

3. DVD player issues
    Dimension Pro contents are composed of about 16000 single files. To avoid melting your DVD player head transport motor, those files have been compressed using a cross-platform, standard compression format (.7z), in big files. Some of those files are really big, over 1 GB, and they take quite a while to copy to the hard disk, and once they're in the hard disk, they also take a while to extract.

Despite of the warnings we placed in the installer about "this is gonna take 30 minutes... blah", we have received reports of users who think that the computer is doing nothing, when it's actually decompressing samples. Make sure you let it happen. The total installation time should be 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your DVD player speed, what kind of bus you used to connect it, what kind of logic your mobo has in place to control that bus, your hard disk speed, your CPU speed and the amount of installed memory.

In cases of misconfigured computers (i.e. shared IRQs, etc.), it might be possible that the DVD player would report timeouts. It might even be the DVD player itself: I have had a player who did this *exclusively* when copying huge libs (such as Atmosphere, RMX and DP), but behaved fantasticly all the rest-of-the-time, and it was my all-the-time favorite brand. Go figure.

Anyways, I guess you have tried all of the above, I'm mentioning it just in case. If so, I suggest you to give Tech Support a call.

-René

mosspa
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/15 21:17:37 (permalink)

Windows XP

How to install Dimension Pro on Windows XP without installing the contents (hack++):
    1. Copy the file DimensionProSetup.exe from the installation DVD1 to your hard disk.
    3. Select all installation options, and when asked for the Multisamples folder point the installer to your current Multisamples folder, if any, or anywhere if you don't plan to have a \Multisamples folder or it's not available (i.e. net drives).
    4. When the installer asks for "Insert DVD2", stubbornly hit "OK' four times. The installer will proceed after that and will complete the installation.

-René

Rene,

Do you think that this approach will work for me. When I WINRAR the samples doirectory it fits on one DL DVD. If I do what you suggest above, and then I copy the DVD Folder to Multisamples folder on the Shuttle, will all of the correct likkages be there when I run DimOPro?

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    JohnrC
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/15 22:12:00 (permalink)

Despite of the warnings we placed in the installer about "this is gonna take 30 minutes... blah", we have received reports of users who think that the computer is doing nothing, when it's actually decompressing samples. Make sure you let it happen.

If people are concerned about nothing happening or timeouts, they could call up Task Manager, sort by CPU load and watch the processes.
    mosspa
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/15 23:15:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JohnrC

Despite of the warnings we placed in the installer about "this is gonna take 30 minutes... blah", we have received reports of users who think that the computer is doing nothing, when it's actually decompressing samples. Make sure you let it happen.

If people are concerned about nothing happening or timeouts, they could call up Task Manager, sort by CPU load and watch the processes.

But not if the Ctrl. Alt Del sequence doesn't work

John

mosspa
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/16 00:01:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mosspa

Windows XP

-René

Rene,

Do you think that this approach will work for me. When I WINRAR the samples doirectory it fits on one DL DVD. If I do what you suggest above, and then I copy the DVD Folder to Multisamples folder on the Shuttle, will all of the correct likkages be there when I run DimOPro?

Eureka It worked. Dimension Pro now plays perfectly on the Shuttle. Thanks for designing this "feature" into the installer, Rene.

John

JohnrC
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/16 00:31:54 (permalink)

Nor do I have any idea if there's an equivalent on the Mac. However, PC users can still get at Task Manager either:

- Start > Run > taskmgr

- Whatever you call that Windows key + R > taskmgr

One of the three ought to get you there.
    mosspa
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/16 02:03:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JohnrC

Nor do I have any idea if there's an equivalent on the Mac. However, PC users can still get at Task Manager either:

- Start > Run > taskmgr

- Whatever you call that Windows key + R > taskmgr

One of the three ought to get you there.

I should have emphasized the. The point is that the instalation of the multisamples totally froze the computer. No mouse, no keyboardm notta...

John

René
    RE: Install Dimension Pro w/out installing samples? 2006/08/16 06:40:01 (permalink)
    I'm glad it worked. Still, IMHO you should keep an eye on that computer hardware. All the installer does id copy and extract, and if that hangs the computer it might very well be the indication of some hardware/driver issue.

-René
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1