Installation question Rapture Session.

Author
kellyg
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2015/11/27 18:29:25 (permalink)

Installation question Rapture Session.

I was debating whether to post in the Sonar forum or the Cakewalk Instruments column; so please pardon my ignorance if I got this in the wrong forum.  Maybe I will post in both.  Although I'm a longtime Cakewalk user, I am relatively unenlightened when it comes to soft synths.  Among others which have come with previous Sonar releases, I have Rapture installed; but I haven't made any real attempt to learn it.  Now, with Rapture Session on the scene, I was about to install it. I got to where you choose the directories to install programs and presets, and sample content and I see that the directory does not yet exist. So, it appears that, although Rapture Session says it uses Rapture sound samples, it is either going to install duplicates of everything or different content.  Because of its learning curve (as I said above, I'm not primarily using Sonar for synth music) I have not really used Rapture.  So, should I remove Rapture and install Rapture Session, or is it possible to point the Session installation directory pointers to the existing Rapture program and sample directories?  Currently, it appears the sample content is under Program Data\Cakewalk\Rapture and the multi-samples appear to be under program files\Cakewalk Rapture (And ... I see some directories for Rapture LE which I didn't even know I had installed elsewhere on the computer).  So, how do I avoid making this worse?  Any help would be appreciated.

Kelly R. Gazzaway

4 Replies Related Threads

BruceGomb
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Installation question Rapture Session. 2015/12/24 07:09:37 (permalink)
    I'm trying to install Rapture Session but it keeps giving me "Out of Resources" even after a reboot. This is crazy, I have 32 gigs of ram and sonar itself runs just fine. I happens on the "Choose Version" screen.

Any one run into this?
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Installation question Rapture Session. 2015/12/24 10:37:53 (permalink)
    BruceGomb
    I'm trying to install Rapture Session but it keeps giving me "Out of Resources" even after a reboot. This is crazy, I have 32 gigs of ram and sonar itself runs just fine. I happens on the "Choose Version" screen.

Any one run into this?

I had the exact same thing happen.  In my case I figured it was because I was directing as much of Session as I could away from my C drive since it's pretty tight (and I don't like non-OS things there anyway).  Maybe the installer doesn't take this into account, sees there's not enough room on C, and throws the error message.  The "Resources" in question must be disk space.

However, I let the installation continue after the error message and everything installed properly.  Have you tried to just close the error message and continue ?  Do you have enough free space on your C drive ?

post edited by Paul P - 2015/12/24 10:50:14

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    BruceGomb
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Installation question Rapture Session. 2015/12/24 14:57:19 (permalink)
    My machine has 100+ gigs of free space.

I ran through the rest of the install part and it didn't crash, I checked it in Sonar and it's working.

I like that it loaded my d-pro. I found some inconsistencies (like the drums for the rapture classic don't work). The visual display on the right the text is truncated.  The D-Pro settings don't show the "expansion" image that they came from (like D-Pro does).  However, I like that you can access it those sounds.  

My box is a very standard but decent Win 7, 64x, 17" with 24 inch 2nd monitor, 32 gig Ram, 200 GB HD space.

-Bruce
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Installation question Rapture Session. 2015/12/24 15:49:20 (permalink)

Back to the OP.
    kellyg
    I was debating whether to post in the Sonar forum or the Cakewalk Instruments column; so please pardon my ignorance if I got this in the wrong forum.  Maybe I will post in both.  Although I'm a longtime Cakewalk user, I am relatively unenlightened when it comes to soft synths.  Among others which have come with previous Sonar releases, I have Rapture installed; but I haven't made any real attempt to learn it.  Now, with Rapture Session on the scene, I was about to install it. I got to where you choose the directories to install programs and presets, and sample content and I see that the directory does not yet exist.

Rapture Session has its own content and programs.

kellyg
    So, it appears that, although Rapture Session says it uses Rapture sound samples, it is either going to install duplicates of everything or different content.  Because of its learning curve (as I said above, I'm not primarily using Sonar for synth music) I have not really used Rapture. 

Rapture Session does not duplicate the original Rapture samples. It does make a copy the original Rapture programs into its program area. I do not recall how large the default Rapture program area is but my guess it takes up around 100MB on a 2GB HD. A large program area with most of the expansion packs installed takes around 400MB. The actual amount of disk depends on how large the disk allocation units are. The same large install takes around 150MB on a 250GB SSD. The files are not big but there are a lot of them.

kellyg
    So, should I remove Rapture and install Rapture Session, or is it possible to point the Session installation directory pointers to the existing Rapture program and sample directories?  Currently, it appears the sample content is under Program Data\Cakewalk\Rapture and the multi-samples appear to be under program files\Cakewalk Rapture (And ... I see some directories for Rapture LE which I didn't even know I had installed elsewhere on the computer).  So, how do I avoid making this worse?  Any help would be appreciated.

Leave Rapture installed or you will loose access to the Rapture content. Install Rapture Session if you wish to use the additional Rapture Session programs and content. It also plays Dimension Pro and Cakewalk Sound Center programs.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1