Installing Replacement Drive. What Did I Do Wrong?

Author
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
2010/09/15 00:07:08 (permalink)

Installing Replacement Drive. What Did I Do Wrong?

Hi Everybody...

I connected the drive and started the machine with the rescue cd (Macrium Reflect)
I located my backup and started the restore. The program realized the drive was larger and allowed me to set the entire drive as the active (primary) partition.

All appeared to go well, except when I open Computer Management It correctly shows the new large Active, Primary Partition at 931.51, but at the top it shows the C drive as it's old capacity (372.61 GB) of which 137.71 is free.

What did I do wrong? I can't seem to find a way to make the Volume larger even tho the partition is? Am I dreaming that I can do this?

I'd love some advice if anyone can help...

Thanks...
Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1

4 Replies Related Threads

IronSound
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Installing Replacement Drive. What Did I Do Wrong? 2010/09/15 09:36:40 (permalink)
        Hello... you have to manually rename it's name as drive C: D: E: in computer management... is the old drive still installed? If this is the case... you also need to manually make any new drive/partition/size/information active or updated in there too, before windows will use it. Since you have a copy or backup installed... Windows is using all the information from your machine, before the new hardware change... also sometimes when the old boot drive is removed... windows will not boot up from the new drive backup... let windows fix/set the boot partition using the install CD diagnostic tools.
    post edited by IronSound - 2010/09/15 21:50:13
    Keni
    Re:Installing Replacement Drive. What Did I Do Wrong? 2010/09/15 10:12:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the pointers and leads... But as it happens, I lucked out...

For some reason I made the partition 9G smaller than the full 1TB offered... I somehow felt that I should leave some unallocated... 'just in case"

Just because I couldn't think of anything else to do, I increased the partition to include the whole disc and magically, the Volume info changed to the correct numbers...

It appears that altho the backup created the full drive partition, The OS wanted the partition sizing to be done in Computer Management.... ;-)

All appears well. I've done a new backup and I'm currently re-formatting the old drive to see if I can clean up it's errors and use it for emergencies... I doubt I'll trust it for anything important even if it appears ok after this.... We'll see...

But my DAW appears to be back in working shape and relatively painlessly... What a relief!

My thanks to all who have helped me thu this with their info and suggestions...

Keni

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    gcruz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re:Installing Replacement Drive. What Did I Do Wrong? 2010/09/17 11:21:08 (permalink)
    1- make sure the hard drive is set up as a master and not as a reduce capacity drive..if the computer is too old the system might not recognize that big of the hard drive, if that's the case you must set the jumpers to reduce the HD capacity.

2-disconnect all old HDs and format the new hard drive again to make sure the comp. recognize the full size drive. Try clearing the BIOS to make sure the pc is not recognizing the wrong hard drive.

good luck

Asus P6T Motherboard Intel LGA1366 Platform
    Intel Quad Core™i7 920 Processor
    6 gigs DDR3 Ram
    Windows 7pro 64 bit
    Roland GW-7 workstation
    Korg Padkontrol
    M-Audio U Control Uc 33
    1010 LT Delta Sound Card
    Project 5 V2.51
    Sonar X1 Producer
    Komplete 5
    Garritan 4
    Keni
    Re:Installing Replacement Drive. What Did I Do Wrong? 2010/09/17 14:28:57 (permalink)
    Thanks... The system is backup and working fine. I learned a few things along the way and the machine is just finishing up some house chores to accommodate things...

As it turns out I'm only finding one difficulty... and that is my with my LAN. The machine I just restored the drive on is working fine and connecting to all machines (except for my laptop wireless which has had problems forever). My real problem is that my internet/graphics workstation cannot get access to any of the drives even tho share is enabled on each. That machine can connect with my office machine just fine, but it's lost access to the rebuilt system. This is a pain, but the rebuilt system has no problem accessing the internet/graphics workstation. So the LAN is working partially... <sigh>

As to the problem with the partition size? I believe Ironsound was correct tho I re-wrote the enry by re-sizing the partition instead of renaming. It did the same thing as far as replacing the old map...

What I did learn was how to remove the EFI partitions on some drives I use for backups. My backup software (Macrium Reflect) would not allow access to them for backups becaue the EFI was formatted as GPT... So I shuffled around lots of data to empty one, removed the EFI partition and reformatted the drive (too over 7 hours to format a 750GB drive via USB!!!)... Then moving my data back to the drive and freeing up another (internal) drive with the same issue. I cleaned the EFI off the internal 750GB and reformatted it and finally I'm now writing a new backup of the restored and rebuilt music DAW's boot drive to the 750GB internal which should work ok for a backup for a while. I can see what I need is a 2TB drive for backups as I like to alternate my backups. Keeping my previous while I create the new... Just in case... ;-)

So hopefully I'll be back to working on music this afternoon! <whew> Today makes a 7 day time lapse for me since the crash....

Many thanks to all once again...
    Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1