Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.)

Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2011/09/05 21:02:18 (permalink)

Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.)

First of all, is it even possible to get Kontakt or Dimension Pro to obey Sonar's patch change commands? Or is there no way to get a sampler to load a different instrument without using the interface? If it is possible, then what steps do we need to take to get the sampler to obey patch change commands?

Assuming it's possible, then the next step is creating an instrument definition. I've been told that this is impractical, since people have different sample libraries and since samplers organize their instruments via the file system rather than banks and patches.

However, we know that Kontakt at least has an instrument database, where each instrument has properties associated with it. So hopefully there is some way to extract instrument names, and then associate them with patches. I have no idea if this is possible, but if it is, has anyone done it?

What if there were a program that could read in someone's Kontakt or Dimension Pro sample set and then create instrument definitions automatically? Would you find something like that useful?

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

12 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/05 21:25:56 (permalink)
    I don't know if its possible. Its highly unlikely. Nor is there a real need for that. It could have some use though. The other thing most softsynths have odd ways to access their patches. Very few use the GM standard to access a patch change. The other problem is changing patches on some samplers could take time to load them. Not something that would work well.

The reason to have ins def files was to be able to know what your hardware had in it for patches. That is available directly from the softsynth used.  Kontakt is an excellent example of just how involved it would be. Try changing an instrument quickly in it. You first have to unload the one in use and then load the new one. All the settings would have to follow along as well. The input and the output.

Best
    John
    Tripecac
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/05 22:18:01 (permalink)
    I see, so instrument definitions are mostly for MIDI, whereas with soft synths there's little demand for them?

tripecac.com
    Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/05 22:20:39 (permalink)
    Correct. 

You are not supposed to be so quick on the uptake and thus so succinct. 

Best
    John
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/05 22:28:55 (permalink)
    If DP has 4 instrments that can load at one time, isn't it just a matter of automation?

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/05 23:01:17 (permalink)
    Guitarpima

If DP has 4 instrments that can load at one time, isn't it just a matter of automation?

Its also a matter of loading. That may take some noticeable time. In a hardware synth module there is nothing to load. All patches are in it ROM memory.

Best
    John
    Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/05 23:02:25 (permalink)
    Tripecac

I see, so instrument definitions are mostly for MIDI, whereas with soft synths there's little demand for them?

I'll add "Hardware" after MIDI, which includes synths supplied by some audio interfaces like Creative (Sounblaster line.)

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/05 23:05:07 (permalink)
    Stone House Studios

Tripecac

I'll add "Hardware" after MIDI, which includes synths supplied by some audio interfaces like Creative (Sounblaster line.)

Brian

Good point even with those with sound fonts, the fonts had to be loaded first.

Best
    John
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/05 23:53:35 (permalink)
    John

Guitarpima

Its also a matter of loading. That may take some noticeable time. In a hardware synth module there is nothing to load. All patches are in it ROM memory.

If all the 4 instruments are already loaded, why not just create the volume automations? I was refering to each instrment on each tab (I forget what it's  called, element?).

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/05 23:59:49 (permalink)
    If its already loaded for example say in Kontakt with a lot of room for instruments then you don't need to do a patch change.

Dim Pro is a monopoly synth sampler player. Its the worst one to try and make a polyphonic synth of it.

Best
    John
    LJB
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1502
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/06 01:47:45 (permalink)
    Frankly, I think it wont benefit a mix to have all these pathces changing all the time. It's rather more accurate to create a synth instance for each sound and freeze when you're happy. That way you have so much more in terms of mixing options anyways.

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
    --------------------
    Cakewalk
    with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

frankandfree
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/06 04:50:00 (permalink)
    Instrument definitions are not just patch names.
    Two things that would be a real benefit for some people would be friendly, user definable CC names and named notes for the key switch area of instruments which provide articulation switching via a note range.
    Tripecac
    Re:Instrument definitions for samplers (Kontakt, Dimension Pro, etc.) 2011/09/06 12:59:35 (permalink)
    I'd love to see anything that provides tighter UI integration between Sonar and soft synths.  It's a shame that Cakewalk hasn't bothered to make Dimension Pro feel like an integral part of Sonar.  TTS-1 feels more Sonar-friendly than Dimension Pro, thanks I guess to its GM nature. 

Why can't Cakewalk think up a way to get its own synths (Dimension Pro, Session Instruments, etc.) to be even *more* integrated than GM synths?  And then give us (or companies) tools to get third party synths integrated nicely as well?

When Cakewalk abandoned Studioware I thought it was because they had something even more user-friendly on the horizon.  They didn't, so my hopes of getting my Triton or Pod Pro easier to use were crushed.

Now, in the day of facebook, social media, websites cooperating with websites, it would be nice if we saw more cooperation between Sonar and soft synths.  If Cakewalk doesn't have the time or money (due to the recession) to create that cooperation, then at least they should give users tools to do the integration work themselves. 

And if Cakewalk can't empower their users that way, then many Sonar users will be keeping an eye out for the first decent DAW that provides seamless integration, and we'll be out the door sooner than you can say "friendster".

The clock's ticking...

tripecac.com

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1