Instrumentals - outboard midi or DXi/ VST?

Author
gbarrett
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
2006/07/24 00:38:45 (permalink)

Instrumentals - outboard midi or DXi/ VST?

I am setting up a new studio as I have moved 1600 miles from my previous locale. Since I haven't purchased any new midi modules in a few years I was wondering if I'd be better off with computer-based stuff or stay with outboard MIDI modules? Money, of course, is an issue, but I want simplicity and quality. I use the trax under a live compliment of players.

For instrumentation I write trax using 3 trumpets, 2 trombones, 1 alto sax, 1 bari sax, 2 flutes, synth strings, and typical rhythm section (rhythm section is usually recorded live with real players). Style is a mix of Tower of Power and Chicago - at least that is what I use a model.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

3 Replies Related Threads

Soundweaver
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Instrumentals - outboard midi or DXi/ VST? 2006/07/24 12:19:15 (permalink)
    Hi Greg,

If you've got a computer that can handle it and you don't need the DXi's or VSTi's to play live with you (like in a band performance), I'd say in most cases you'll find more realism in the virtual instruments. If, however, you need 0 latency and more stability at the expense of some realism, I'd say go with hardward.

I have both...what's funny is, when I'm playing live, you can't tell so much about realism because of the environment, but you sure can in the studio. For instance, I have the Roland Fantom X-8 with the strings expansion. It's a great card for live, but doesn't hold a CANDLE to the East-West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra that I own that I use on my studio computer. The difference is astounding!

My 2 cents,

Eric

Win XP, Sonar 5 PE, P4P800 Deluxe, overclocked P4 3.4, 2 gig RAM, MOTU 24 i/o, UAD-1, Apogee Big Ben masterclock
    Plyrman
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1062
    RE: Instrumentals - outboard midi or DXi/ VST? 2006/07/24 13:37:32 (permalink)
    I have not used any of the "soft synths"....I guess I'm just "ole school"......

There is just a lotta tweakin involved with latency...when trying to use the soft synths and outboard gear at the same time.....

vote for the "hardware" here.....funny though...the hardware modules are pricey as well..???

just my .03 cents

Mike G.
    Sonar X3 Custom Build: IntelCore2Quad, 16 gig Ram, Asus Z87-Plus, Internal 200GB SATA HDD (1) 320GB SATA HDD (2), Motif Rack, Roland Juno-G, Trigger Finger, Keystation 88, Tascam FW1082, JBL 4328's
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: Instrumentals - outboard midi or DXi/ VST? 2006/07/24 14:31:34 (permalink)
    I've got an extensive "hybrid" (i.e. both hardware and software) system and could extoll the virtues of each. But I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you go software only. Here's why. It's only gonna get better and better (and much of it is already great). While live performance multi-intrument do-it-all boards will continue to be around for awhile most inovation and updating will still take place in the software arena. Computers are only gonna get faster, more powerful and flexible. If you learn the ins and outs of being "inside the box" now you're on the correct (read: leading) edge of the curve. It's a virtual world, baby...heck you might be listening to a robot right now...who kn.n.n...n..nows. Sorry...bit of short circuit there.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1