Intel Turbo Memory?

Author
keyboarder22
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2008/02/03 15:20:44 (permalink)

Intel Turbo Memory?

Considering upgrading my DAW with a new laptop and SHS6XL.

Is Intel Turbo Memory Hard Drive Cache a good add-on if I am going to park new audio files on an external hard drive?

Is this a good set-up (if I do all the tweaks)?

Lenovo Thinkpad T61 laptop 14.1" (with the following included; on sale for $1484), Intel Core Duo 2.2 GHz processor T7500 (800MHz, 4MBL2), Intel Graphics GMA X3100 GM965, Windows XP Pro, 3 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM), 7200 RPM 100GB hard drive, 8X DVD recorder, 6 cell battery

Glyph 050Q 500 GB external hard drive

Audio Technica AT4040 mikes

Already own: Edirol FA66 firewire sound card

Do audio recording and will be starting MIDI.

Thanks!! Been a lurker on the forums for a while now.

8 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: Intel Turbo Memory? 2008/02/04 09:16:31 (permalink)
    HI,
    turbo memory only works in Vista. (Vista is a bad idea)

2) the thinkpad does not have TI chipset firewire which means no go for audio.

google "pro audio laptop"

for the same price you can get a purpose built for audio laptop with support.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Intel Turbo Memory? 2008/02/04 10:16:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: keyboarder22

Considering upgrading my DAW with a new laptop and SHS6XL.

Is Intel Turbo Memory Hard Drive Cache a good add-on if I am going to park new audio files on an external hard drive?

Is this a good set-up (if I do all the tweaks)?

Lenovo Thinkpad T61 laptop 14.1" (with the following included; on sale for $1484), Intel Core Duo 2.2 GHz processor T7500 (800MHz, 4MBL2), Intel Graphics GMA X3100 GM965, Windows XP Pro, 3 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM), 7200 RPM 100GB hard drive, 8X DVD recorder, 6 cell battery

Glyph 050Q 500 GB external hard drive

Audio Technica AT4040 mikes

Already own: Edirol FA66 firewire sound card

Do audio recording and will be starting MIDI.

Thanks!! Been a lurker on the forums for a while now.

Not for audio work. If you were doing some type of application that used a lot of memory and was not time based like music it's a cool work around when you can't just open the machine and install more ram. But again, it's only Vista and Viata is still not a good idea for a music computer either.

In most cases a music computer doesn't run out of memory unless you have too little to start with and you have more then enough.
    keyboarder22
    RE: Intel Turbo Memory? 2008/02/04 16:50:28 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. The Lenovo was on sale through today and is a NO GO per above.

Found ADK website per above and will be contacting them. A Kentucky Fried DAW sounds tasty: is 4 MegagRAMs of fat an appropriate amount to make a good recording?
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Intel Turbo Memory? 2008/02/04 17:05:14 (permalink)

Found ADK website per above and will be contacting them. A Kentucky Fried DAW sounds tasty: is 4 MegagRAMs of fat an appropriate amount to make a good recording?

If you mean "good" as in quality only the sound card (converters) control that. You only need that kind of RAM if you use a lot of software synths. Amount of RAM has nothing to do with the quality of your recordings only the amount of synths you can use. If you record only audio all that extra RAM will do nothing for you. In fact, on XP anything over 2 gig will do nothing for you.
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: Intel Turbo Memory? 2008/02/04 17:42:58 (permalink)

If you record only audio all that extra RAM will do nothing for you. In fact, on XP anything over 2 gig will do nothing for you.

i beg to differ with you.
    while 4 gig can not be accessed there is a good amount of use for the 4th gig.
    (HAL uses it) this is very important for those with UADs or large video cards.
    the 3rd can be accesed via 3gig switch

however you would be 100% correct if when you mean "record only audio" that you do not use VSTi/samples etc...
    post edited by jcschild - 2008/02/04 17:59:05

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Intel Turbo Memory? 2008/02/04 23:38:47 (permalink)

I own and love my ADK laptop.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: Intel Turbo Memory? 2008/02/05 15:11:04 (permalink)
    what you want, is something with as fast a fsb and as much L2 and L1 cache as humanly possible. that is going to have the most influence on everything because that is where the bottlenecks always are (of course, chip speed is primary in importance but those next two come right after...)

this normally means doing a little bit of research and getting a really dang good motherboard.
    post edited by joshhunsaker - 2008/02/05 15:26:43
    keyboarder22
    RE: Intel Turbo Memory? 2008/02/05 22:14:03 (permalink)

I am no computer expert, so Josh was speaking a language from a country I don't normally visit. However, it stimulated me to do some research and I ran across some info sites on computers that maybe helpful to others who share my ignorance:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/computer-memory.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

On another note, one of my fav sayings:
    "Good judgment comes from experience...and most of that comes from bad judgment."

I can state the case for a built for DAW system and perhaps for "Native TI Chipset" for firewire from a bit of personal experience.....

I got an Edirol FA66 firewire card and hooked it up to a new laptop after following some "optimizing" recs from this link:

http://www.audioforums.com/windows-xp-optimization.php

These were the specs:
    HP Notebook, Windows XP Home, AMD Turion 64 Dual-Core 1.6GHz, 2MB DDR2 Ram 2DIMM,
    120GB (5400RPM) SATA, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache

Installed SHS4 and started to record audio at 48KHz using WDM...sounded great! (got pops and clicks at 44.1KHz...why?) Tried MIDI...at least got a good piano sound (but hadn't figured out how to load the other sounds successfully yet). Was able to hear some of the sample content but others wouldn't play at all (???). None of the tutorial files would play and then....the sound card disappeared from MIDI options!

Loaded the drivers for the FA-66 to another laptop and chose Edirol in Windows Sounds...worked fine, so I know it's not the card or the FW connector.

In Device Mgr on the HP, 1394 IEEE shows up as "working properly." After "troubleshoot" it said the same. On the firewire properties tab, I selected "update drivers" and after searching it said "no better drivers found." I tried to disable, then enable the firewire...nada.

I tried to reinstall the Edirol drivers but when I replugged the firewire cable into the 4-pin port no "new hardware found" icon came up. I don't have another firewire device to try.

Ergo, I think the drivers for the firewire are corrupted or some such. I plan to replace the HP with a made-for-DAW laptop and just use the HP for personal stuff, but anyone have a way to get the firewire working again?

Should I start a new thread on this?

Thanks for all your input. You've all been a big help!

Barry W.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1