Interested and actively researching -- got a few VS-700 Qs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 2084
RE: Interested and actively researching -- got a few VS-700 Qs 2009/06/18 14:36:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

Not yet Seth but I'm ready for it. The new desk has been waiting patiently for me to fill in the blank spots.
I tried to embed a picture of it but I'll have to reduce the size of it. It will be soon.

ORIGINAL: Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]

ORIGINAL: Crg

Well, so much for the placebo effect.

Haha, yup. Did you get your VS-700 yet, btw?

Awesome, Craig ... post a photo of that desk if possible.
cdickey
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Interested and actively researching -- got a few VS-700 Qs 2009/06/18 16:29:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jackn2mpu

ORIGINAL: Jeff Evans

Those mic pres are similar. When they are set to unity gain they would be just acting as an impedance matcher if you like at a gain of 1 say. And although they are before the A to D converters I am very sure Roland have done a fine job at making them sound as transperant as possible. (especially at low gain) From an electronics point of view, when a stage of amplification only has to be a gain of 1, then it is very easy to achieve and the best performance is then possible with things like frequency response, distortion, noise, transient response, etc.

All true, but the signal is STILL going through that pre's electronics. The only thing is you're not providing any signal level change to the signal. The only way to get a truly transparent setup is to go straight to the input of the A/D converters.

If the VS-700R pre's are unity gain across the frequency spectrum even with high input levels (below A/D clipping levels), then they should be "transparent" for practical purposes. That is the question. This question may or may not be just theoretical. There is also the preception of potential customers (right or wrong).

There is a similarity to the tube guitar amp debate. Can a modeling amp get close enough to the tone of a tube amp. For some people and some purposes, yes. For others, no. And there is the strong perception that tube amps are better. I happen to like tube amps. Some people like the esthetics of an external pre-amp just like some people prefer a control surface to a mouse.

A few demos should provide real world insight on this issue.

post edited by cdickey - 2009/06/18 16:39:54
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: Interested and actively researching -- got a few VS-700 Qs 2009/06/18 21:24:10 (permalink)
There is a similarity to the tube guitar amp debate. Can a modeling amp get close enough to the tone of a tube amp. For some people and some purposes, yes. For others, no. And there is the strong perception that tube amps are better. I happen to like tube amps. Some people like the esthetics of an external pre-amp just like some people prefer a control surface to a mouse.

Basically I agree with you on this point. But, the type of boutique "mic" pre's the OP is refering to leads me to beleive he feels the digital mic pres will not carry the same coloration he hears from them on an analog circuit. Much the same as tube coloration. They are prob. tube pres. But what the problem is to me is, he can't hear the pre amp before it is converted to digital to the output to compare the quality of the signals. His system has become more complex and he needs a reference point.

Craig DuBuc
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
RE: Interested and actively researching -- got a few VS-700 Qs 2009/06/19 09:13:47 (permalink)
If you are wondering that the A to D process is not going to carry the coloration through from an analog pre into the digital signal, I believe it does.

Here is an interesting story. In Mix Magazine a while ago they published an article about an interesting AB test they did to over 1000 people. They took a very analog signal source and fed it to positon A on a switch box. They also ran the analog source through an A to D converter and then a D to A converter and put that on position B of the switch box. All connected to a very nice set of reference monitors. So A was the true analog source and B was the same signal going through A to D and D to A and at 16 Bit 44.1 Khz as well.

Only half could tell the difference and many famous engineers that have created productions we all hold as being amazing were in the half that could not tell the difference.
What does thay say about digital as a medium for transferring an analog signal. Says to me that its amazing doesn't it. Sort of blows away the higher digital resolution arguments as well dont you think.

A source going through a vintage pre and then into the VS 700R will give one very nice sound and it will have the full glory of the analog pre in its sound and the signal going straight to the VS700R pre will also be excellent and will sound a little different to the other, just minus the analog pre but still a lovely representaion of the sound source.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/06/19 09:17:53

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Crg
RE: Interested and actively researching -- got a few VS-700 Qs 2009/06/19 21:27:42 (permalink)
Custom built for the V 700-full unit. This is just an empty shot. I also installed a 16 spot Nuetrik Combo patch panel that will let me send eight inputs to the VS 700 R and eight inputs to my Mackie 1604 VLZ-Motu 2408 Mk III. I'll get some other shots up of the filled 19" racks and equipment.
post edited by Crg - 2009/06/19 21:40:24

Attached Image(s)

Craig DuBuc
Jeff Evans
RE: Interested and actively researching -- got a few VS-700 Qs 2009/06/19 22:20:50 (permalink)
That specially designed table for your V Studio is very impressive. Are you putting your monitors on the top shelf. How far apart will they be? Good place for them and to be close to your near fileds. The good thing is you can move that setup around if you needed to as well. (Away from the wall will change the sound of your near fields) What about your QWERTY keyboard and mouse locations. You still need them. I have my QWERTY keyboard directly in front of the V 700C console. It seems to work very well there. But well done!

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Crg
RE: Interested and actively researching -- got a few VS-700 Qs 2009/06/19 22:31:13 (permalink)
I'll put the finished rack picture up soon. It ain't perfect in as much as acoustics are concerned but then neither am I. The Monitors go on each side of the Console opening on the top shelf. Sounds great. The Qwerty keyboard will go to the left on another pullout shelf where the other computer resides. Mommy told me to go sit in the corner so I brought a few things in there to play with.

Craig DuBuc
Crg
RE: Interested and actively researching -- got a few VS-700 Qs 2009/06/21 10:21:46 (permalink)
Here's the working setup with a couple of blank spots. When the VS 700 is added the patch bay will feed the V-700 R from the 8 inputs on the bottom row. The console will go on the big extendable shelf. I'll work out the keyboard and mouse later. I had limited space so I had to compact things.

Attached Image(s)

Craig DuBuc
Jeff Evans
RE: Interested and actively researching -- got a few VS-700 Qs 2009/06/21 20:23:20 (permalink)
Here is my setup. It is quite simple and I have got it down to a very minimal setup these days.

The rack on the left has a Kurzweil K2000 rack unit in it fully optioned and also an EMU ESI 4000 sampler. But I am in the process of getting Chicken Systems Translator to convert the EMU and Kurzweil sounds over to Dimension. Then I wont need those either. I am a believer that you can replace every bit of outboard gear with the V Studio system and great plugins. Of course many still like hardware and I respect that but I have found since getting it down to something so simple like this I have not needed any other gear to accomplish what it is I am trying to do.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/06/21 20:38:54

Attached Image(s)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1