Intermittent boot problem

Author
jamescollins
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
2010/07/04 06:34:08 (permalink)

Intermittent boot problem

Here's a strange problem I'm having, that I'm hoping one of the gurus might have the answer to. My machine is a Gigabyte EX58-DS4, Core i7 920, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 2 WD Caviar black HDDs, running Windows 7 32 bit, Sonar 8.3.1. 

This thing has been so reliable since I built it, I mean I haven't had a single problem with it until last week.

Easily fixed - turned out to be bad RAM, no problem. But now sometimes I can't boot into Windows, it gets stuck on the Windows logo, before you get the blue welcome screen. I had a tech look at it, and he tested EVERY bit of hardware and found nothing wrong with any of it. He then replaced every component, including the CPU, and still it sometimes refuses to boot into Windows. It still boots in Safe Mode when this happens. I've also formatted the OS drive and done a clean install of W7, and still sometimes it doesn't boot.

What the?....

By the way, a couple of months ago, we had some mega storms, you may have seen it on the news. Anyway, during the storm, there were several power cuts, and my computer was on during them. WA is renowned anyway for having dirty power, but I'd imagine this made it even worse. Would this have a bearing on something? But as I said above, we replaced everything, including the motherboard, and the intermittent failure to boot still happened with the new mobo. Weird.

And yes, I need a UPS.

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
jamescollinsmusic.com

6 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Intermittent boot problem 2010/07/04 07:20:59 (permalink)
    Power failures, surges, lightning, etc can cause many problems.  Get the UPS ASAP as it will minimize the AC power line problems (but won't do anything for lightning).  If you have one of the newer "Active PFC" power supplies you MAY need a "true sine wave" output UPS (for when on the UPS battery backup).  Most of the "consumer" and even some of the commercial UPS systems are a modified sine wave and the switching time is too slow for Active PFC power supplies.

If you have more than one hard drive connected, disconnect all except the boot drive and see if that makes a difference.  Considering the M/B has been replaced that should eliminate it.  Has the other hardware such as Video Card and/or sound cards been replaced?  The video card only uses the basic VGA mode during POST (boot) and when in Safe Mode, however when the regular Windows mode starts it brings in the video drivers for higher modes and that can be an issue.   Has the boot hard drive been replaced?   Diagnostics are great, but if a device is intermittent unless it fails during testing the diagnostics will not show anything. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    gcruz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re:Intermittent boot problem 2010/07/04 12:13:34 (permalink)
    what's the speed of the memory you are using
    i7 920 processor doesn't work with 1600 mhz memory or higher and not sure about 1333 mhz either. You should be using 800 or 1066 mhz memory modules to work fine with that processor. I had a lot of trouble with my pc and the 1600 mhz mem was the problem, I got the BSOD all the time because of memory failure and everything in my pc was completely new.

Asus P6T Motherboard Intel LGA1366 Platform
    Intel Quad Core™i7 920 Processor
    6 gigs DDR3 Ram
    Windows 7pro 64 bit
    Roland GW-7 workstation
    Korg Padkontrol
    M-Audio U Control Uc 33
    1010 LT Delta Sound Card
    Project 5 V2.51
    Sonar X1 Producer
    Komplete 5
    Garritan 4
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:Intermittent boot problem 2010/07/05 09:59:21 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, will try all of the above - and that's the first time I've heard that 1600 RAM is no good, will give it a go with 1066.

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Intermittent boot problem 2010/07/05 10:46:51 (permalink)
    gcruz

i7 920 processor doesn't work with 1600 mhz memory or higher. You should be using 800 or 1066 mhz memory modules to work fine with that processor. .

Uhh absolutely NOT TRUE.

we ship nothing BUT 1600 CL8 or CL6 ram. up to 12 gigs no issues.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Intermittent boot problem 2010/07/05 12:18:47 (permalink)
    Did your tech replace the RAM? You mention that he replaced every component and that you've already dealt with bad RAM, but you may have put more bad RAM back into the machine. As Scott mentions, I don't think the speed is an issue, though. Get a good RAM tester and test the RAM thoroughly. Also, try booting with just one stick (or the bare minimum possible) at a time in the system.

Another test would be to boot to Safe Mode, remove all the "Display adapters" entries and reboot. As fireberd suggests, this could be adapter-related (though since you've replaced everything else, it's a bit of a long-shot). You don't mention if you have a dedicated video card; if you do, remove it and try booting. You can also have Windows boot with VGA mode drivers; it's an option if you hit F8 while it's booting. At any rate, update your video drivers.

If your power is that bad where you are, get a power conditioner in addition to a UPS--or get a better UPS. A UPS will help if the power dips or fails, but it won't "clean" the power. Furman has relatively inexpensive conditioners that will also help with your other electronic gear. APC's more expensive UPSes will do this, too. They start at around $120. Think of it as "insurance" for the money you've already put into this stuff.

One more thing: I'm working on a laptop with Win 7 that's having a similar problem: wouldn't boot to Windows. After saving the data, reformatting and re-installing, it still would boot to Safe Mode, but not Windows. Having nothing to lose, I reformatted and re-installed again. Works fine, now. Go figure.

UPDATE: The laptop I'm working on failed to boot again. Booting to Safe Mode and removing the display adapter (and its associated files) allowed Windows 7 to boot "normally". In this case, the on-board video adapter may be failing, or the drivers could just be bad. Your mileage may vary, of course.
    post edited by planetearth - 2010/07/05 17:44:54

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Intermittent boot problem 2010/07/06 13:05:44 (permalink)
    Something is happening behind the splash screen. Next time you start in safe mode, enable boot logging, then look at the log after the next boot failure. You may find a hint there.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1