Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins

Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
2014/07/26 12:45:50 (permalink)

Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins

Hey guys,

I just uploaded a great show with Dave on Plug-ins. More shows involving plug-ins to follow in the future with attention to actual use and effect. I think this segment did a nice job of initiating those who are more recent to plug-in use . I really appreciated Dave's willingness to give us some of his insights and views on DAW plug-ins.

http://www.recordinghound.com/?p=499

Since I don't actively advertise this show. I would appreciate any help you could give in the way of forwarding links on your social media and audio sites. Not many people know we are here yet and that has been ok up until now because I had been working out some of the kinks. Now I think it's time to get the word out, so any help in that regard is very much appreciated.

If you are a vendor and you might want me to test one of your products, please let me know and we'll talk. starise@comcast.net

I don't intend this to be a money making venture, but as in everything there are expenses involved and I'm looking into ways to support the show. If I like and use your product I would consider a small sponsor for advertising....the main objective though, is to offer relevant information that is helpful to the computer music and musician community at large. I appreciate that Cakewalk has allowed me to post here and I'll continue to tell my listeners what a great product X3 is and that it is my main DAW.

Some of my future plans include both high  and low profile people who are good at what they do. I would love to interview some of the folks in the know at Cakewalk at some point and I already have some great people lined up for future shows. I'm also planning more videos and articles. If you are an audio engineer who writes technical articles for publication and wants another place to write, please send me an inquiry as well.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

12 Replies Related Threads

backwoods
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2571
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/07/26 23:34:46 (permalink)
    That was really cool! Thanks Starise and bitflipper for making it happen.

One subject for a show could be "preamps". A sort of voodoo subject. Anyway, great job, i'll be tuning in again.
    cowboydan
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 908
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/07/27 06:30:18 (permalink)
    If you could put a link to facebook a lot more people could share your podcast by liking it. That way you have a bigger audience to work with. Great podcast. Highly recommended.
    Schafe
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/07/27 09:19:46 (permalink)
    Thank you Tim and Dave. I have a much better understanding of plugins and the DAW in general after listening to the program. Keep up the good work.

Asus Intel i7 -3770K 4.2 GHZ,16 GB Ram,Samsung 500 GB SSD,3 TB HD, Dual 27" Monitors, Windows 10, Motu 896mk3 interface, Behringer Eurolive B208d's, Roland A-800 pro Keyboard, Sonar Platinum, Melodyne  Editor, Kontakt5, Jackson Charvel, Fiddles and things.
    dmbaer
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/07/27 19:12:50 (permalink)
    Ahem, that's soundbytesmag.net, Dave, not soundbytesmag.org. 
    backwoods
    • Total Posts : 2571
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/07/27 20:46:25 (permalink)
    Whatever you do, make NO MENTION of pixie dust or mojo :)
    sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/07/30 21:33:06 (permalink)
    Great interview, thanks!

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Starise
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/07/31 10:16:23 (permalink)
    Sorry guys I dropped off the radar for a bit.....not for bit...ok you know what I mean, I'm glad you enjoyed the show 
    Backwoods- I love me some preamps...I would love to do a show on pre amps sometime. Much like compressors though, there's the simple description and then there's the more complex. Phrases like "it sounds magical" probably wouldn't cut it. Preamps seem to fall into the realm of debate....maybe not outright debate but very subjective and everyone has their favorites and some are more opinionated than others on what works and what they like...nothing wrong with that. I could make the show very interesting if I took two opposing opinions and put them in a discussion together....or it might get ugly  at least folks can't make physical contact on a radio show.....Maybe some discussion on the advantages of out board preamps in general and the differences, why they sound the way they do or different from something else, what might be the most cost effective route to get the best results...that kind of thing.

Danny- Thank you! Not long ago I was on Facebook all the time and I remember being a little peeved that there were all of these companies crowding out  what started out as a social site. Maybe I should revisit the idea...maybe it doesn't affect everyone the same way. I guess only the people who are interested would follow it.....great suggestion and reminder! 

Schafe- Thanks man! I don't think I even got into the .001 percent of what Dave knows about plug-ins.....I still think it's fun to try different 3rd party plug-ins, I have to say though that I also I love the Pro Channel in Sonar X3. The new EQ is very musical now that we can expand it and it has that background freq analyzer. The best thing about using Sonar and PC with 3rd party is that you have the best of both worlds. You are free to use your vsts in it in any arrangement pre or post. I find myself using PC and adding 3rd party plug-ins with it...a knockout punch. I picked up many of the PC specific plugs so I already have a lot in the tool kit before any 3rd party plug ever gets involved.

dmbaear- Thanks for that clarification! I attempted to go there and got to a soundbytes site but it was the wrong one...I also need to clarify that the Bass issue of Computer magazine came with a CD but it wasn't the issue with the most free vsts. I think it was the issue before that one....as another side note, Blue Cat also offers a nice set of free starter plug-ins. I think there are several other companies out there like Melda who offer a hand full of free plug-ins. Great places to try out alternative solutions. Many of these companies offer free demo downloads so you can try before you buy.

Backwoods- I try and make every attempt not to bring pixie dust up....mojo? Isn't that something else? 

Sharke, Thanks for listening! I hope you got ARC working ok!

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/07/31 11:22:49 (permalink)
    Dot NET...duh. Well, if that's the only factual error I made while rambling on unrehearsed for an hour then I'll be surprised. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Starise
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/08/01 10:31:53 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave  for being on the show!

Twitter @Rodein

pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/08/01 15:43:08 (permalink)
    This was quite interesting.Good interview.

I'm glad nobody rambled on about how they play like a 4 year old. 
    rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/08/04 21:56:49 (permalink)
    Nice interview. I like the length of the shows you are doing, an hour or so lets you get to a nice depth without getting into the boring, rambling stage. There was some great snippets of information in this interview but I think I would have liked a bit more concrete stuff, like more real world examples. I thought Dave kind of got there with the Meldaproduction references. Maybe you don't want to come across as pushing a particular brand, but I would like to get an idea of what particular plugin someone is using, for what particular purpose. Maybe there just wasn't enough time to go into those specifics and this could be an idea for a future show. i.e. pick a particular type of plug and give 3 or 4 concrete examples discussing what their differences are and what material they would be best for.
    Again, great work Tim, I am really enjoying what you are doing with this site. I agree with your thoughts on getting someone from Cakewalk on the show. It's almost impossible to find a site where the designers of DAW software can feely express their thoughts on what is happening within the industry or their particular products. I for one would love to hear from some of the Cakewalk engineers or gurus and have you discuss their take on music and music software.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    Starise
    Re: Interview with "bitflipper"- DAW plug-ins 2014/08/06 11:46:16 (permalink)
    Thanks Rebel for your your comments! I agree. I wanted to get a bit more involved in specifics. I plan to do just that in the near future.  I try to steer clear of any specific manufacturers unless I am covering only that product on the show. Pistolpete, Thanks!
    Are you referring to my variax show? lol.

This show was supposed to cover compressors, but as you see it wandered somewhat and that was my fault. At some point I want to get into the specifics on the differences between mediocre compressors compared to really good ones. I think there are subtle differences "under the hood" and I think this applies to all plug-ins. They seem to share more similarities than differences,yet there are differences.We all have a favorite compressor...why is it a favorite? What does it do that the others don't? Is it more than simply ergonomics?
    I am on facebook now. https://www.facebook.com/recordinghound.

I appreciate any likes you can send my way on that page. 

Twitter @Rodein

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1