LockedIntroducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
2010/01/22 18:10:06 (permalink)

Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers

Cakewalk introduces the new A-PRO Series, USB MIDI Controllers for Mac and PC. The A-300 Pro (32-key), A-500 Pro (49-key) and A-800 Pro (61-key) are brand new keyboard controllers developed in conjunction with Roland. The A-PRO series focuses on intuitive real-time performance and ergonomic playability, making it a must-have controller for soft-synths in a live or studio setting.  This new line gives musicians the best of both worlds: Cakewalk’s legendary ease of use and Roland’s world-class engineering and keyboard expertise: http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/controllers.asp

post edited by Kate Watt [Cakewalk] - 2010/01/26 10:11:40

36 Replies Related Threads

fwrend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 709
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/22 18:30:46 (permalink)
    Link doesn't work Kate. <page not found - 404 error - Cakewalk>

EDIT: actually typing or copying link into new window does work.  But clicking link (I'm using Firefox) it adds the following which gives the error. </a></font></font>

Oh well - link is correct!
    post edited by fwrend - 2010/01/22 18:33:34
    Robin Kelly [Roland]
    Genuinely Swell Guy
    • Total Posts : 571
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/23 13:06:26 (permalink)
    Looks like there is some HTML at the end of the link.

Here it is again.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/controllers.asp

Here's a link to the overview video that shows you the line:
    http://www.youtube.com/us...=cti#p/u/0/kcZ11_LsGZU

Here's a link to our blog entry featuring a video of  Brandon giving a demo for Sonic State:
    http://blog.cakewalk.com/...-pro-series-keyboards/

Also some folks have asked what is the difference between the A-Pro series and the PCRs. Here is a post I put in another thread.

Hi guys,

The PCRs and the A-Pros do share some commonalities (shape, mod wheel) but very quickly you will find these controllers are new and different.

First is the back-light LCD display which makes editing and changing settings a breeze. To change the settings of a slider you enter edit mode (a button press), touch the control you want to edit and then dial in the new value in the display. That's it! So there are no crazy combinations of buttons and notes that have to be pressed to get a new assignment to a control. I also really like the velocity meter on the display which is shown while you play. It is very useful to see that when working with patches in Rapture. Many Rapture patches have velocity mappings in them.

The keyboard bed itself has been upgraded significantly. These controllers play like a synth and not a MIDI controller. I love my XP-60 (bought brand new when they first came out) because of the feel of the keyboard bed and the responsiveness to after touch. Until the A-Pro I still used the XP-60 exclusively as my controller in my studio. However, now I like the A-Pro better, I really do.

The Pads are also new. They are velocity sensitive and have after touch. They can also be latched so working with the matrix view, samplers, drum machines etc is a very rewarding experience.

The button configuration, layout and function is also brand new. We (Roland and Cakewalk) listened to customers and incorporated their feedback into the work-flow and usability of the controllers. The A-Series is very easy to navigate and the controls are definitely arranged in a way where you can comfortably use and access the controls. For example the transport control section is above the keys, the sliders are significantly wider and flatter, and so on.

The ACT implementation is redone from the ground up.

The drivers are also brand new which means the already stable and responsive PCR drivers are taken to the next level. All the playability in the world is useless if the drivers aren't responsive as I know all of you know.

Finally, all three of the A-Pro series controllers have the same number of sliders, knobs, and pads and the same functionality. The only difference is the number of keys.

The A-500S can be run on batteries along with the SD-50. At the booth we have the A-500S and SD-50 running with the BA-330 PA all running on batteries. Obviously, this is great for live use.

Expect the controllers in stores worldwide in April 2010.

Robin

That's my blog
    Omnia illa et ante fiebant, Omnia illa et rursus fient.
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/23 14:30:45 (permalink)
    Robin,

Thanks for the post.  Two questions:
    1. Will the user documentation be available on-line before April?
    2. Can you explain the Hold button and how it is used with the pads for finger drumming?  Is it related to the 'pads can be latched' comment you made?
    thanks,
    Murray

Sonar 8PE & VS, Presonus Firestudio, VS-100, AlphaTrack, Nord Stage Compact, Roland Sonic Cell,  Axiom 49, dbx 386, Event TR-8's, Kawai 650, ...
    Robin Kelly [Roland]
    Genuinely Swell Guy
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/23 14:52:39 (permalink)
    It is my understanding the docs will be online once the product ships. This is pre-release info and could change.

The hold button is a way to "latch" pads. Probably not so useful for playing a beat but very useful if you are using the matrix or other cell based environment.

Robin

That's my blog
    chromecity
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/24 13:53:55 (permalink)
    Hi Robin.  With the ACT totally redone, does the new A-PRO series still support the dynamic mapping?  With the PCR-800 I tried (and was planning to buy), the DMAP feature worked great.  Whenever I switched focus to between Sonar and any VST instrument or VST effect, the controller mapping automagically updated to the applicable one for whatever had focus at that moment.  Is there still some kind of support like that in these new A-PRO series controllers?  Thanks.
    post edited by chromecity - 2010/01/24 14:01:41

Regards,

Jeff Andrews
    Chrome City Studios / FX Models
    chromecity
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/24 14:31:24 (permalink)
    Brandon's video sure makes it look like the ACT switches its configuration based upon whatever has focus, but maybe I'm just inferring that incorrectly.  So I'd still like to get a definitive answer about that.  Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff Andrews
    Robin Kelly [Roland]
    Genuinely Swell Guy
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/25 09:53:14 (permalink)
    Yes ACT always reconfigures the control surface/keyboard to the plugin or view(track, console) that is in focus.

That behavior has not changed with the A-Series. However, like all ACT devices, you can choose to "lock out" certain parts of a control surface to not follow ACT. The only place where this is on by default are the transport controls.

Inside the control surface plugin you can change all the behaviors and create resets for different configurations.

Robin

That's my blog
    chromecity
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/25 18:21:43 (permalink)
    Hi Robin.  Thanks for the info.

Inside the control surface plugin you can change all the behaviors and create resets for different configurations.

Does that mean that anything has gotten any more complicated as far as the learning aspect for various VST's?  With the PCR-800, it was quite transparent as long as DMAP was enabled.  Whatever soft synth or effect had focus was the one that would have learning enabled and the user never had to actually see any mappings anywhere - they just got made and saved somewhere automagically when using whatever facility the particular VST had for its "learn" capability.  Is that still the same (or maybe even better) ?

Regards,

Jeff Andrews
    paul x protools
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/26 09:44:09 (permalink)
    Kate or who ever can answer my qusetion, I am an ex mac based protools 8 user(not owner) but small company shut down and find myself at home with no DAW and starting to have serious withdrawls.  I here the new cakewalk series workstations will hit the US market in April 2010 with the Sonal LE 8.5.  Would a A-500s be enough to get back in the game with a Vista Home Premium system with 3gb ram and a 250gb hdd with most all memory available.  Only looking to begin composing virtually again with an eventual step into recording live drums for virtual session work once I can round the learning curve and can afford what ever upgrades necessary. 
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/26 10:09:51 (permalink)
    Hey Paul,

Yes. You should have no problem running SONAR LE and the MIDI Controller on your computer. I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 at home with factory settings (no external HD) and have yet to crash it running the same setup. The keyboards are expected to be released at retail in April.

Best,
    Kate
    paul x protools
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/26 11:12:32 (permalink)
    excellent, I have seen prices listed abroad in euros, will Cakewalk/Roland pre-realese msrp Us currency info prior to Apri?, l our should one just do the conversion and expect about that
    navyasw02
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/27 10:32:22 (permalink)
    They've got the price at the tail end of that video post.  I dont remember all of them but the largest one was 399.  Hopefully that's USD.     
    Robin Kelly [Roland]
    Genuinely Swell Guy
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/27 13:37:38 (permalink)
    For the US here is a link to Sweetwater showing all the models and prices of the A-Series.

That's my blog
    chromecity
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/27 17:38:09 (permalink)
    Hi Robin.  Could you please review post #9 in this thread?  Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff Andrews
    Robin Kelly [Roland]
    Genuinely Swell Guy
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/28 09:30:15 (permalink)
    chromecity

Hi Robin.  Thanks for the info.

Does that mean that anything has gotten any more complicated as far as the learning aspect for various VST's?  With the PCR-800, it was quite transparent as long as DMAP was enabled.  Whatever soft synth or effect had focus was the one that would have learning enabled and the user never had to actually see any mappings anywhere - they just got made and saved somewhere automagically when using whatever facility the particular VST had for its "learn" capability.  Is that still the same (or maybe even better) ?

That behavior has not changed. The button is labeled ACT now, you press that and ACT is activated in SONAR and the A-Series sets itself to the correct mapping. All of this happens is less than a second.

Robin

That's my blog
    chromecity
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/01/29 01:10:23 (permalink)
    Excellent.  Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff Andrews
    profwacko
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/02/16 14:20:26 (permalink)
    Do any of these new controllers have a breath controller port?

Inquiring minds want to KNOW!!

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack

Dell XPS 8500, i7 3770, Windows 8 64-bit, 8 gigs RAM, 1tb SATA drive, M-Audio Fastrack Ultra,
    Sonar Platinum

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    mick@itc
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/02/20 02:32:13 (permalink)
    Kate, how are we going with availability in April??
    Mick

Mick from Oz. 
    HP DV7-3008tx , Sonar 8.5 PE,  Komplete 6, GPO, JABB, Ozone 4, Melodyne Studio & DNA
    Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/02/22 06:17:34 (permalink)
    Wouldn't swap my pcr 500 for any of them
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/02/22 10:05:00 (permalink)
    Mick,

We are still on target for an April release. Stay tuned :). We will post more information as we get closer to the release date.

Best,
    Kate
    mick@itc
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/02/23 06:57:32 (permalink)
    Kate Watt [Cakewalk
    ]

Mick,

We are still on target for an April release. Stay tuned :). We will post more information as we get closer to the release date.

Best,
    Kate

Cool...and thanks...Mick

Mick from Oz. 
    HP DV7-3008tx , Sonar 8.5 PE,  Komplete 6, GPO, JABB, Ozone 4, Melodyne Studio & DNA
    kristain
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/03/14 23:30:14 (permalink)
    Can you please tell me how all the three of the A-Pro series controllers have the same number of sliders, knobs and the same functionality
    mick@itc
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/03/14 23:48:26 (permalink)
    kristain

Can you please tell me how all the three of the A-Pro series controllers have the same number of sliders, knobs and the same functionality

Take a look at the photos, the smaller one fits all the knobs/sliders in then the longer ones simply have blank areas on the right hand end of the top.  Am I missing something? 

Mick from Oz. 
    Brian Desmond [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/03/15 08:06:05 (permalink)
    Yes, they all have the same control surface on them.

The choice is really about how many keys do you have the space for in your work area.  If you have to go smaller, you don't have to worry about sacrificing any of the pads or sliders or anything.

jmain
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/03/16 13:57:00 (permalink)

I'm still learning SHS 7XL, but I'm pretty sure I'd to eventually add a controller for the added flexibility for composing.  Will the new Pro series have all the functionality with SHS 7XL or will I need to download Sonar 8.5LE that is included?

I'm still learning SHS7XL, but I'm pretty sure I'd like to eventually add a controller for the added flexibility for composing.  Will the new Pro series have all the same functionality with SHS 7XL or will I need to download Sonar 8.5LE that is included?

Or should I be looking at a PCR-300 keyboard (since it is called out in the help and VST program)?

It seems like the Pro is easier to work with for a MIDI novice like myself.  Just would hope it works that way with my current software. 

Or maybe download 8.5LE and do the upgrade later with more powah! 

Thanks!
    post edited by jmain - 2010/03/16 14:01:30

- Sonar X3 P
    - Cakewalk UA-25EX,  A-300Pro, Korg padKontrol.
    - Desktop:  Fractal Design Define Mini, i7 3770K, Asus P8Z77-M Pro, 16GB Ripjaws X,  500GB / 1TBx2 HDD, 1TB ext., Win 7 x64.
    - Mobile: Asus U47A-RS51, 750GB, 6GB, 1TB Portable, UA-1G. 
    - Instruments: MTD KZ6, CallowHill J(unk)5, P Bass, Strat, A/E Guitar, Djembe, Doumbek, Mridanga, Tabla.
     SoundCloud:  Ohm Groove
    Brian Desmond [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/03/17 18:04:22 (permalink)
    Hey jamin,

Yes, you'll get all the same functionality with the A-Pro controller, and the Control Surface plug-in in SHS7 as you would with the full version of SONAR.
    jmain
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/03/19 13:40:54 (permalink)
    Brian Desmond [Cakewalk
    ]

Hey jamin,

Yes, you'll get all the same functionality with the A-Pro controller, and the Control Surface plug-in in SHS7 as you would with the full version of SONAR.

Thanks Brian!!

- Sonar X3 P
    - Cakewalk UA-25EX,  A-300Pro, Korg padKontrol.
    - Desktop:  Fractal Design Define Mini, i7 3770K, Asus P8Z77-M Pro, 16GB Ripjaws X,  500GB / 1TBx2 HDD, 1TB ext., Win 7 x64.
    - Mobile: Asus U47A-RS51, 750GB, 6GB, 1TB Portable, UA-1G. 
    - Instruments: MTD KZ6, CallowHill J(unk)5, P Bass, Strat, A/E Guitar, Djembe, Doumbek, Mridanga, Tabla.
     SoundCloud:  Ohm Groove
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/03/23 00:36:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for the 'introduction' but it's useless unless I can buy one somewhere. That was in January and it's fast approaching the end of March... wise up Cakewalk.

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

mick@itc
    Re:Introducing: A-PRO Series MIDI Controllers 2010/03/23 01:13:34 (permalink)
    MemphisJo

Thanks for the 'introduction' but it's useless unless I can buy one somewhere. That was in January and it's fast approaching the end of March... wise up Cakewalk.

Whoooo...hold up there...they said April roll-out.  Fair is fair.

Mick

Mick from Oz. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1