Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kurrykid
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 309
2008/08/04 20:43:37 (permalink)

Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar?

If so, how is it working out for you? Would you recommend it? What equipment are you using? I am G.A.S.ing over a MIDI guitar becuase I can't play my MIDI keyboard very well.

I am unsure of exactly what I need though (equipment wise). I know Roland has the GK-3 pickup but do you have to plug it into something like the GR-20 (the "floor pedal") or can you run it directly into your computer and use it to get your sounds through the MIDI plug-ins like the MIDI keyboard.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

52 Replies Related Threads

madratter
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/04 20:55:44 (permalink)
    I don't own one. I have played one. Personally, I prefer entering stuff by keyboard even though guitar is my main instrument. Depending on how you play currently, you might need to modify your technique somewhat in order to get usable results. I would strongly suggest you play one before you buy.

And you need something that tracks fast. If it is slow converting your notes to midi, it is going to throw your timing off horribly.

That said, I do know someone who has one and uses it a great deal. So you might well love it.
    gwp99
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 507
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/04 20:59:12 (permalink)
    You need to run the modern 13-pin guitar midi out to a converter (Axon) and from there via a standard 5-pin midi cable to your computer (eg. soundcard,midi-input).

I say modern because the older midi guitars use a 24-pin system which must be converted down to the 5-pin.

Spend an hour or so at the www.joness.com/gr300 site and it will answer all of your questions.

Good luck!

X1E-64bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Sonica Labs Hush QT- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66G, 8GB  RAM, RME Fireface UFX (using Firewire), 3 eSata internal/many external hdd's    
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/04 21:14:16 (permalink)
    I know Roland has the GK-3 pickup but do you have to plug it into something like the GR-20 (the "floor pedal") or can you run it directly into your computer and use it to get your sounds through the MIDI plug-ins like the MIDI keyboard.

I'm sure if you read the brochure it will answer that question. I believe the answer is: you have to have the GR-20 for it to work.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/04 21:21:27 (permalink)
    I installed the GK-3 on a Strat and into a GI-20.
    With a careful install on the guitar and setting the GI-20 for picking style I'm very pleased with it.
    I haven't been staying updated on options mainly because this set-up works great for what I do.
    Although I really don't play that Strat for anything other than midi it is easy enough to use for analog as well.

I use it for controlling software only. I became satisfied with it when I got my quad-core PC. Latency can be an issue.

I too had issues with midi keyboard being a guitarist so this set-up works.

I don't add effects in projects that I'm using it in until I've completed the midi parts. Workflow is important.
    There is no way I can determine if this is right for you-only that it works for me.
    Should you care...all the tunes I've recorded with exception of "Good Day" and the instrumental version I used midi for bass (Trilogy) and Spectrasonics "Atmosphere" for various parts. (my recordings are probably not a good example but all I have to offer)

Hope this helps Dave,
    Michael
    post edited by spacey - 2008/08/07 17:12:14
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/04 22:00:15 (permalink)
    I have a Roland ready Strat and a GR-33 that I layer my guitar sound with and use it about 3 times a week in a live setting. I don't get all crazy with trombone sounds, etc... but some strings or vocal chorus sounds great as a backdrop wash sometimes with the guitar sound on top.

I had a GK pickup, and the Roland Strat works MUCH better...and a much nicer and cleaner looking install. It tracks good... excellent...no, but pretty good. I've gotten to where I can actually play lightly, and not trigger the MIDI stuff, and then pick harder and then it triggers.

Now...for recording. Hardly ever use it. But since my "live" sound is so "killer", I'm thinking of actually getting off the duff and hooking it up at home.

Yes..you need the "hex" pickup..or 13 pin (rules out wireless rigs, unfortunately) and then the converter...which the Roland GR20 is currently the cheapest....maybe. Once it is in MIDI land, you can start daisy chaining any sound modules or keyboards.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

rj davis
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 05:23:47 (permalink)
    I use a Roland setup with a Roland Ready Strat going into a GI-20, which is basically a GR-20 without sounds. The GI-20 connects via USB and shows up as a MIDI in in Cakewalk. Works great for laying down MIDI tracks, but I use it less now that I've learned to play the bass. It does require a controlled style. For lead tracks I use a very clean picking style. For piano I play fingerstyle, plucking with my nails and using my fingertips as dampers. Good luck!

Ron
    Windows 10
    Sonar Platinum
    i7-5700K 4.0 GHz StudioCat ProStudio (monster)
    RME Babyface Pro
    Mackie MCU Pro
    Neumann TLM49
    Too many guitars...
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 07:32:19 (permalink)
    I have a ztar and it works great

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    finnmaccool
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 08:24:14 (permalink)
    I use a Godin Sgx (Roland ready) with a GR-33. I also can drive VSTs and soft synths from that. You need a really good touch for the fingerboard, otherwise you'll trigger some unwanted notes. With the Godin & GR-33 you can layer synth and guitar, plus the Godin has an LR Baggs acoustic pickup so there's lots of sonic possibilities.

HP Pavilion dv6000 Centrino Duo Core 3.66 GHz, 2 gig RAM, Vista Home Prem, Cakewalk Sonar 7 Studio, MOTU 828, MOTU FastLane 2x2 USB Midi, Reason 4.0, M-Audio Axiom 49, Roland VS-2480
    Noah330
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 587
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 08:36:36 (permalink)
    I have an old Casio MIDI guitar that is actually made by ESP - the old ESP company not the new one.

It is a really decent guitar. I find that the triggering works better if I keep old strings on it. Maybe the new ones are better.

I find a MIDI guitar helpfull for doing bass lines and string parts.

I still use my keyboard controller as well.

I find using a controller that is close to the instrument you're trying to MIDI helps. I use the little Alesis drum pad thing for my drums.

kurrykid
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 11:13:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the comments...I appreciate it.
    AJ_0000
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 738
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 11:47:48 (permalink)
    I think you'll find you get very different (not necessarily better or worse, but different) results from using a guitar. The only major guitar player I'm aware of who's used a guitar synth extensively is Andy Summers with the Police.

He demonstrates one of the early Roland units toward the end of this video (5:15):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFWj8JIPLI8
    post edited by AJ_0000 - 2008/08/05 12:11:43
    Noah330
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 11:52:43 (permalink)
    Bill Frizzell, Allan Holdsworth, Robert FrippTony MacAlpine, David Byrne, Stanley Jordon, John McLaughlin, Joni Mitchell,Al Di Meola
    K. K. Downing, George Lynch, Mike Rutheford, Pat Metheny , Glen Tipton, Lee Ritenour , Jimmy Page and Eddie Martinez are a few other people who have used guitar synths quite a bit.

Clapton has also used one as has Lee Ritnour (sp)
    post edited by Noah330 - 2008/08/05 12:16:52
    JoseC.
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 11:55:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Noah330

I have an old Casio MIDI guitar that is actually made by ESP - the old ESP company not the new one.

It is a really decent guitar.

Don't be ashamed. Believe it or not, J.J. Cale used to play one. Go figure.
    downsouthstudio
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1122
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 12:48:40 (permalink)
    I too use a "Roland ready Fender Strat"..........both for recording and live.........I play very little piano/keyboards.
    I couple the RR strat with Rolands GR-33.

You "can" mount a Hex pickup on many guitars, but alignment may be difficult. The Roland ready strat...comes already setup.... plus it looks great.

go here for details. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratRRBSB/

Good luck,
    Jeff
    post edited by downsouthstudio - 2008/08/05 13:13:05

SONAR X1b Producer, one monitor
    RME-FF800
    Intel Quadproc, 12 gig mem
     2-UAD-1s,UAD-2
    Mojave MA-200,4033,57s,58s)
    JBL LSR4326P's,
    Transport controller 
    Axiom 65 keyboard 
    LA-610mkII pre/comp
    Roland elect drums
    Guitar wall

MY STUFF

Noah330
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 14:33:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JoseC.

It is a really decent guitar.

Don't be ashamed. Believe it or not, J.J. Cale used to play one. Go figure.

Not ashamed at all - just pointed out the ESP connection because some people may be weary, as Casio isn't known for their guitars.

I have had a few of those Casio keyboards over the years and they're certainly consumer but I have never had an issue with one. Used one for practicing ear training when I was @ Berklee and it's still working today. I use another that I bought as an open box as a controller for my old K2000 rack.
    Duojet
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1413
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 14:58:22 (permalink)
    as others have noted you need a pickup and an interface. I have a roland gk2 pickup and the axon ax50 usb interface. I did alot of research and found in most reviews and opinions that the axon had the lowest tracking latency which was extremely important to me. I can verify that the interface tracking latency (NOT your audio interface latency - that is additional) is almost non existent. I use it with Kontakt 3 and other VSTis and it works great.

http://www.axon-technologies.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=36&menu=102

http://www.axon-technologies.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=104&menu=10202

Intel Core2Duo e8400
    Abit IP35-E
    4GB Ram
    Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit
    EMU 1820m

DFHS2, BFD2, Battery3, Amplitube2, GuitarRig3, Kontakt4, Ampeg SVX, Line6 PodXT
    MarioD
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 19:37:05 (permalink)

It is a really decent guitar. I find that the triggering works better if I keep old strings on it. Maybe the new ones are better.

I find a MIDI guitar helpfull for doing bass lines and string parts.

I still use my keyboard controller as well.

I find using a controller that is close to the instrument you're trying to MIDI helps. I use the little Alesis drum pad thing for my drums.

I use a Casio midi guitar and I also have noticed that old thin (8-38) strings work the best for tracking. The thing I like about it is that it has a midi out; that is a normal midi chord that can plug into to any synth or computer. No interface is necessary.

It has been mentioned that you must change your playing style to play a midi guitar. That is correct. You must be very articulate when playing one. Do not think you can pick one up and play it like an electric guitar because it ain’t gonna happen.

Good luck.

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/05 20:44:17 (permalink)
    Hi Kurry Kid, I'm using a GI-20 Roland guitar interface via USB into Cakewalk Sonar 7. I use the Mono six string method rather than the poly. You should first "dump" from the GI-20 or any guiatar midi interface into the Sysex veiw in cakewalk. that will give you a record of the messages sent from your guitar unit in your project. Although the sysex veiw does not enter control parameters into ACT or the Generic control surface it will give a record of the messages that is right there on the screen. There are some guitar midi parameters in the presets in ACT for different interfaces. I have gotten the ACT to record and use control parameters from the GI-20, such as volume from the main knob on the GK-3 pickup. There are short falls in communication between the Gi-20 unit and the Cakewalk INI. ? file, look at the other midi entrys there and add one from the Sysex veiw dump you did.
    The guitar is capable of note variations and combinations that the MIDI system has aparently not been programed to recognize. Several posts in your thread state this. Setup and matching touch style, bend range, sensitivity, etc. is crucial to get a clean register of what you put in, just remember , MIDI has no mercy. It will pickup things you do not hear, it will interpret transitional note combinations differently, It will change the way you play. Apparently the later model guitar midi synths do a better job. I've been driving the soft synths in Sonar with the GI-20 but I'm no Midi expert and there are some control message problems, with note-on and note-off messages especially, and other functions of the unit you are sending into cakewalk because of the different codes per unit. Other than that it's mostly driver-player error. The list is way too complex for a forum post. But that's a starter.

Craig DuBuc
    BeachBum
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/06 07:15:33 (permalink)
    Cool, but not worth the money.

I have one, the roland one, I think its the gr50, bought it 15 years ago. It's cool, but not worth the money. The keyboard is way better for entering regular music.

The guitar strings/midi is slow to respond on most patches, so you really can't play fast stuff. Maybe the new ones are faster.

But you can get different sounds using the guitar strings for input. But it is still not worth $1200.00+. $80.00 just for the cable.

But if you can afford it, get it, its fun to mess with.
    Noah330
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/06 08:55:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MarioD

I use a Casio midi guitar and I also have noticed that old thin (8-38) strings work the best for tracking. The thing I like about it is that it has a midi out; that is a normal midi chord that can plug into to any synth or computer. No interface is necessary.

It has been mentioned that you must change your playing style to play a midi guitar. That is correct. You must be very articulate when playing one. Do not think you can pick one up and play it like an electric guitar because it ain’t gonna happen.

Good luck.

Interesting, as I use .011s on most of my guitars and use an old set of .009s on the MIDI guitar.

Yes, the standard MIDI cable feature is very cool and IMHO how all MIDI devices should be - guitars included.

It's not like a DX7 has a different MIDI cable then a K2000 - ok, I'm dating myself here - byut you get the idea!
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/06 09:07:54 (permalink)
    kurrykid,
    I've been using the same midi guitar / interface for the past 20 + years
    an Ibanez system ....before that I was using a Roland ....
    it gets used often enough in all my music ...
    haven't kept up w what folks are using these days ....

if it ain't broke ........as the say .......

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/06 14:37:01 (permalink)
    I have a GR-33. I was using a GK-3 pickup mounted on one of my guitars and then I got a Zion with the MIDI pickups built-in. The response is much better. It does take some finagling to get some of the virtual instruments to behave themselves, and some simply respond better than others. I like having the GR-33 available as opposed to just interfacing because its internal sounds can be useful and also the pedal. When I am controlling a softsynth I switch to a GR-33 patch that is close to the instrument I am playing (eg. strings) which also helps shape the sound. Then I go into staff view and event view and edit if necessary.
    So, kurrykid--if you are on a budget or not sure how much you are going to use this stuff, I'd guess the GK-3 and GI-20 (midi interface only) are the cheapest way to go; you'd be able to play softsynths that way. I'd recommend going a few huindred more and getting the GR-20 so you'd have the pedal and external synth sounds.

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/06 15:27:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kennywtelejazz

kurrykid,
    I've been using the same midi guitar / interface for the past 20 + years
    an Ibanez system ....before that I was using a Roland ....
    it gets used often enough in all my music ...
    haven't kept up w what folks are using these days ....

if it ain't broke ........as the say .......

Kenny

Exactly. While my IMG bit the dust a few years ago, I still use both the MC1 (the pitch/MIDI converter for the Ibanez) and a Roland GM-70 with an old GK-1 pickup. While for actual keyboard parts I'll use a keyboard, for those hybrid guitar/synth combos a MIDI guitar's impossible to beat.

ew
    kurrykid
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/06 15:48:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Phoenix

I have a GR-33. I was using a GK-3 pickup mounted on one of my guitars and then I got a Zion with the MIDI pickups built-in. The response is much better. It does take some finagling to get some of the virtual instruments to behave themselves, and some simply respond better than others. I like having the GR-33 available as opposed to just interfacing because its internal sounds can be useful and also the pedal. When I am controlling a softsynth I switch to a GR-33 patch that is close to the instrument I am playing (eg. strings) which also helps shape the sound. Then I go into staff view and event view and edit if necessary.
    So, kurrykid--if you are on a budget or not sure how much you are going to use this stuff, I'd guess the GK-3 and GI-20 (midi interface only) are the cheapest way to go; you'd be able to play softsynths that way. I'd recommend going a few huindred more and getting the GR-20 so you'd have the pedal and external synth sounds.

Just for clarification...if I had the GR-20, I would not need the GI-20, correct?

Thanks.
    post edited by kurrykid - 2008/08/06 21:41:50
    rj davis
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/06 18:50:17 (permalink)
    Correct, no need for the GI-20 if you have the GR-20. But if you use soft synths you can get by with the GI-20 for less $. Forgot to mention that I started about 20 years ago with two CASIO guitars, an MG series with no sounds but MIDI output at the jack, and a PG series with both MIDI output AND synth (VZ series) at the jack. Awesome guitars. The MIDI was almost a bonus! Also set up a GK series pickup on a USA made Peavey and it was quite good as well. Two constants in all of my experience: Setup is important, playing style is critical, and fixing the occasional MIDI glitch is to be expected. I've got a keyboard as well, but still fall back to the guitar...Best of luck!

Ron
    Windows 10
    Sonar Platinum
    i7-5700K 4.0 GHz StudioCat ProStudio (monster)
    RME Babyface Pro
    Mackie MCU Pro
    Neumann TLM49
    Too many guitars...
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/06 19:27:34 (permalink)

The GI-20 was made to interface with a sound module or a keyboard midi controller and would probably work better with a controller in front of it that Sonar already has a preset for. I'm learning all this as I go, how to enter the midi information into sonar so the soft synths and the host will respond to the control messages. I'm thinking of getting a Motu Midi Timepeice and a keyboard controller to get a better Midi system in place for all the midi capable devices one might want. Drum-percussion pad, guitar, keyboard. The GI-20 will work on it's own but if you're going to expand, you'll need a Midi interface eventually, one you can word clock.
    ORIGINAL: kurrykid

ORIGINAL: Phoenix

Just for clarificatiom...if I had the GR-20, I would not need the GI-20, correct?

Thanks.

Craig DuBuc
    digimidi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/06 23:51:03 (permalink)
    I've been using the Roland GR-20 for several years now and bought one of the first units, even though I don't think it has been updated, except for the firmware for the bass hexaphonic pickup. I use it both ways, as a midi contoller as well as running its audio output into an input into Sonar. When I bought mine, the packaged bundle contained both the GR-20 and the GK-3 pickup. I purchased a decent cheapo ($99) strat copy from my local music store and mounted the GK-3 pickup on it using the included screws, springs, etc. It is now my "controller" for the unit and I am very pleased with it. When you need a horn line, or want to lay down a bass part, it's really quick and dirty. Requires a little modification of your technique (articulation, less sloppy, more clean fretting), but not too much. You'll get the hang of it in 5 minutes - it really fills a gap, along with my Variax. I still have my arsenal of "real" guitars, like about 12 of 'em, but the GR-20/GK-3 really fulfulls that occasional sitar or bell part that I need.

Cheers!

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left... 
    http://daveowenmusic.com/
    http://fabulous52s.com/
    https://soundcloud.com/daveowenmusic

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8
    bunnyfluffer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/07 03:20:56 (permalink)
    great thread - I'm interested in this going the other way - I'm learning guitar and am researching a guitar synth to help me with the translation to keyboard for arranging purposes so I can transpose both ways. I love the fretboard view in Sonar (Rock!).

So for $1k I can get into a RR Strat and a GI-20 to play softsynths in Sonar via USB/Midi. This seems to be the cheapest, easiest MOST RELIABLE way to go... If there's a viable alternative please share.

I figure if I can't be a good guitar player I can be a weird one... I also love big fat droning washed out reverb soaked over delayed stuff...

Loving my Eclipse and H3000 on guitar... boo ya!

-tbf
    kurrykid
    RE: Is Anyone Using a MIDI Guitar? 2008/08/07 14:30:46 (permalink)
    Another midi question...so if you were going to buy a unit today, would you go for something with it built in such as a Parker midifly or a Roland strat or would you go for something like the GR-20 with a GK-3 pickup?

From what I've read, the built in ones don't necessarily track better.

On the other hand, using something like a GR-20 and GK-3 is today's "top of the line" equipment. The cons are the installation and getting the pickup installed so that the tracking works well. The pros are that you can put it on any guitar you want (pretty much). You could also go buy a cheap guitar and permanently install it on there if that's what you wanted to do (as suggested in a previous thread).

Just wondering what you think about these options?

Thanks.

Dave
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1