Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1?

Author
Neole
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 476
2011/02/03 11:38:06 (permalink)

Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1?

I need to send DolbyE mixes (not dolby ac3) as pcm wavs with embedded metadata. Is it possible in SonarX1?

12 Replies Related Threads

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/03 11:46:45 (permalink)
    What is the decoder out of curiosity?

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Neole
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/03 11:50:56 (permalink)
    HD television channel broadcasters and home set top boxes receiving the signals.
    Katie_Katie
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/03 11:53:21 (permalink)
    Wow.

Just curious.  Wouldn't it be easier (and much much less expensive), to just send individual channel files to the post house and let them do as they need for compressing/encoding?

Katherine  

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/03 12:48:20 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure the encoder is not native to Sonar but you can purchase 3rd party encoders and make them available to the environment. See this one.

http://www.minnetonkaaudioshop.com/SDDW%3C/a%3E

I have not done this however so let's see if anyone with experience weighs in.

From the manual:

Cakewalk External Encoder Config utility
    SONAR supports external command-line encoders, such as LAME, Ogg Vorbis, Monkey's Audio, etc. If an external command-line encoder is installed on your machine, the 'Cakewalk External Encoder Config' utility allows you to add the encoder to SONAR's list of available file formats when exporting audio (File > Export > Audio).
    To use the utility, start SONAR and go to Utilities > Cakewalk Ext Encoder Config, then specify the proper settings or the encoder you wish to use.

Note: The SONAR DVD includes several pre-defined profiles for various encoders. These profiles can be found in the \Utilities\External Encoder Profiles folder. You can use these profiles as a starting point when creating your own profiles. Simply double-click the appropriate .reg file to add the information to the Windows registry, then use the 'Cakewalk External Encoder Config' utility to specify the correct install path of the encoder.

post edited by Middleman - 2011/02/03 12:54:32

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Neole
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/03 13:03:59 (permalink)
    Katie_Katie

Wow.

Just curious.  Wouldn't it be easier (and much much less expensive), to just send individual channel files to the post house and let them do as they need for compressing/encoding?

They are asking me for the encoded files. They are prepared to provide the encoding plugins.
    Neole
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/03 13:07:18 (permalink)

Actually Im doing dolby5.1 mixing in sonar already, but dolby E is relatively new so was wondering if its sonar compatible. The plugin says its vst, so it should be but till anyones tested it in sonar we wont know for sure! Else the standalone option should also do the job.. but the company's providing the plugin only for free, not the standalone version.

Middleman

I'm pretty sure the encoder is not native to Sonar but you can purchase 3rd party encoders and make them available to the environment. See this one.

http://www.minnetonkaaudioshop.com/SDDW%3C/a%3E

I have not done this however so let's see if anyone with experience weighs in.

From the manual:

Cakewalk External Encoder Config utility
    SONAR supports external command-line encoders, such as LAME, Ogg Vorbis, Monkey's Audio, etc. If an external command-line encoder is installed on your machine, the 'Cakewalk External Encoder Config' utility allows you to add the encoder to SONAR's list of available file formats when exporting audio (File > Export > Audio).
    To use the utility, start SONAR and go to Utilities > Cakewalk Ext Encoder Config, then specify the proper settings or the encoder you wish to use.

Note: The SONAR DVD includes several pre-defined profiles for various encoders. These profiles can be found in the \Utilities\External Encoder Profiles folder. You can use these profiles as a starting point when creating your own profiles. Simply double-click the appropriate .reg file to add the information to the Windows registry, then use the 'Cakewalk External Encoder Config' utility to specify the correct install path of the encoder.

Katie_Katie
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/03 13:15:59 (permalink)
    Yes Middleman you can buy, and were able to rent, the necessary plugin to do Dolby E.   Cost was about $3,000 last year.  But that is only part of the cost, you need a special meter to ensure you are encoding the proper metadata for the dialogue.  This meter, called a LM100, is about $3000.   So, between the plugin and the meater you have $6K invested.   It is not a cheap endeavour.

Normally, since the dialogue channel is the most important, you have the producer sitting/listening/adjusting the dialogue while watching the video.  Then this is all encoded at the proper levels (using the LM100) via the Dolby-E encoder. 

If a person has this capability, both to be able to adjust the dialogue while watching the video for the encode AND (this is important), the product is good to go and acceptable to the post house (you are making assumptions while you do this of course) - you are golden.   Else, back to square one.

Sending the individual tracks to a post house that has all this equipment, and knows how they want the various channels mixed for the video/movie, is a much cheaper (read:less headaches) for the originator of the tracks. 

EDIT:
    I just saw your other message.  
    Free VST...very sweet.  Still need the LM100 to get it right (unless...your VST has a dialnorm function built-in...double sweet).   As to Sonar and the VST...most likely will work.  Last time I did this was with PT and no issues.   But, I will not do it again.  Too much back and forth.  If you don't get the metadata right the post houses get cranky.   I just pack up the wav's and let them worry about it.

Good Luck
    post edited by Katie_Katie - 2011/02/03 13:29:05

Katherine  

stonehedge
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 215
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/03 13:23:47 (permalink)
    The compacted answer is DolbyE is a system used in broadcast houses to distribute multi channel audio in facilities and delivery systems only capable of 2 channel distribution. It uses encoding and meta data to be able to route the steams from various editing suites, master control rooms, sat up links, etc.  It is possible to buy the plug in as mentioned and if you are writing music for anyone like the Discovery channel of National Geographic, its mandatory as is the calibration of it in your control room. A further explanation  on DolbyE can be found here. Dialogue Normalization is critical in maintaining the strict standards outlined. It also proposes a great solution to the advertisement loudness wars if we could get the TV stations to compliantly agree to it.

http://www.minnetonkaaudi...ducts/dolbyefaq.html#2

Hope that gets you started

Home built i7 6850k Broadwell, 16GB corsair RAM, Asus X99 Deluxe II/Gen 3, EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6gig, Win 10 creators with no windows updates since jan 2018, Sonar Platinium, Sony Vegas Pro 15, Sound Forge 11, Pro Tools 10, Superior Drummer 3, Easy Keys, Melodyne Studio 4, MOTU 2408, Motu MTPav, midisport 4X4,Behringer X32 Compact with X-Adat and (2) ada8000 strips,Mackie Control Universal, Monitors by JBL, Tannoy, Fostex.
    Neole
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/03 13:59:37 (permalink)
    Katie_Katie

EDIT:
    Free VST...very sweet.  Still need the LM100 to get it right (unless...your VST has a dialnorm function built-in...double sweet).   As to Sonar and the VST...most likely will work.  Last time I did this was with PT and no issues.   But, I will not do it again.  Too much back and forth.  If you don't get the metadata right the post houses get cranky.   I just pack up the wav's and let them worry about it.

Good Luck

Thanks. They are providing the meter free as well.
    Katie_Katie
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/03 15:41:21 (permalink)
    Neole

Katie_Katie

EDIT:

Good Luck

Thanks. They are providing the meter free as well.

As my son likes to say, "Whooooh".   That's what I need, a sugar daddy that will give me grand$$$ equipment like that.

Maybe, if you ask real nice, they will give you an Audi R8(Morning Dew metallic thank you very much) to lug that stuff around.

Good luck and good learning.

post edited by Katie_Katie - 2011/02/03 15:43:28

Katherine  

siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/04 19:13:03 (permalink)
    sound like you got a peach of a rig going now :) you deff. have made a good contact somewhere..   but, just for fun, I'd send them a 44.1 mp3  just to watch then tear up a lil before handing off the package.  heh

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re:Is DolbyE encoding possible in sonar X1? 2011/02/04 19:59:52 (permalink)
    Katie_Katie

Yes Middleman you can buy, and were able to rent, the necessary plugin to do Dolby E.   Cost was about $3,000 last year.  But that is only part of the cost, you need a special meter to ensure you are encoding the proper metadata for the dialogue.  This meter, called a LM100, is about $3000.   So, between the plugin and the meater you have $6K invested.   It is not a cheap endeavour.

Normally, since the dialogue channel is the most important, you have the producer sitting/listening/adjusting the dialogue while watching the video.  Then this is all encoded at the proper levels (using the LM100) via the Dolby-E encoder. 

If a person has this capability, both to be able to adjust the dialogue while watching the video for the encode AND (this is important), the product is good to go and acceptable to the post house (you are making assumptions while you do this of course) - you are golden.   Else, back to square one.

Sending the individual tracks to a post house that has all this equipment, and knows how they want the various channels mixed for the video/movie, is a much cheaper (read:less headaches) for the originator of the tracks. 

EDIT:

Good Luck

For $100 dollars you  except plugins costing 6k.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1