Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters?

Author
Art1820m
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
2016/04/27 04:08:14 (permalink)

Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters?

Interesting topic on Ad/Da Converters , ....The Results? Insignificant, and less of a difference than expected by those in attendance. All sounded so similar it took a while to discern a difference at all. It doesn’t matter which converter you get once you’re at that level of quality. Why obsess about which über expensive converter is the best? 
Read more at: http://corner1stop.com/is-there-a-quality-difference-in-adda-converters/

Intel Desktop From MARS, the planet ..  
application: Sonar  version 8.5.3 PE

Samplitude Pro X
sound card   Focusrite Scarlette

more of my stuff
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Artbluevibe

13 Replies Related Threads

smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/04/27 07:36:33 (permalink)
    I think if you are buying new gear today, that's probably very true. However, when I updated my older Mackie system to a UAD Apollo, the difference was night and day in playback alone...
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/04/27 13:05:17 (permalink)
    THIS IS VERY TELLING....

"It doesn’t matter which converter you get once you’re at that level of quality."

most folks here, i say the great majority, never reach "that level of quality" to start with.

so, it's all relative to the level of quality you are starting with.

i also disagree with the validity of this test....
    my own experience has shown that the convertor by itself is not the only factor..
    the preamps (if included) play a HUGE HUGE difference...

and it should be as obvious as the nose on your face.

my experience shows me that using 'cheap' mic pres and convertors, really shows up across MULTIPLE tracks in a single song....

it's as if the lack of clarity of a track, whether pushing tubes into harmonic distortion on purpose or accident, or simply not having the gain of a solid state preamp dialed in, can create a collective 'sonic haze' over the entire playback,
    the more tracks, the worse it gets.

i say get the best convertors you can afford, and move on.

make the best of what you got, and move on.

but don't try to convince folks that the quality of convertors doesn't matter.
    looking at a single track and measuring it, does not tell the story.

also, play me just ONE mix that ethan winer has ever done, that kicks ass.
    just one.

also,
    research this same argument at mixerman's 'the womb'
    classic

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/04/27 15:20:16 (permalink)
    I can tell the difference between interfaces used to record songs. I have been able to detect that a recording was tracked with different gear than the band's usual by listening to the tracks. Engineers leave fingerprints too. Where were the Mics positioned? What Mics?

When I got my RME, I was surprised at the differences in what I heard and how I worked.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/04/27 15:44:49 (permalink)
    I agree with the above. The AD/DA is just one component, so in addition to pre-amps and other components, the drivers also play a critical role. Practical application also goes beyond simple quality of audio to system performance (latency, etc.).

That said, there is also a point of diminishing returns, so individual usage will often take precedence in decision making.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/04/27 22:57:52 (permalink)
    Converters certainly make a difference in the quality of a recorded signal.  And by converter, I mean a complete system accepting an analog line-level signal with no amplification involved.  Systems which are fed through a preamp, are not converters but they do contain converters.  

The analog components in a converter such a line level op-amps or discreet designs make a much bigger difference than the actual converter chip.  

Preamps make a much bigger difference than those analog components in the converter as they are designed to amplify a tiny signal sometimes thousands of times to reach an acceptable level.

Mics make a much bigger difference than the preamp as they are the source of the sound from an electrical and engineering standpoint.

The room and mic position make a bigger difference than the mic as the sound of any player is a combination of direct and reflective sound.  There isn't much of a difference between a $200 and $2000 microphone when placed poorly in a bad room, at least not one the listener will care about.  

The player and the instrument are even more important than the room since they are the source of the sound.  If they aren't any good, you might as well give up now.  

If you spend a great deal of money on quality mics and preamps, and you are recording world class musicians in a superb environment, then a great converter will shine above a cheap one.  I can certainly tell the difference, but only when the other factors are up to snuff.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/04/28 00:19:27 (permalink)
    Yes, it is all interrelated.  Quality of the room, quality of the equipment and the ability and experience of the recordist.  Every bit helps.  With today's clean equipment it is much easier to get competent sound quality than, say, in the days of cassette portistudios (which never sounded like a good [or even bad] reel-to-reel).  The more you work with decent and good equipment, the more your skills increase, the better you can sound. 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Vilovilo
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/04/28 16:52:14 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Personnaly I did felt some changes when I replaced my Behringer 2496 with a Sonifex but it is not the heart of the target.
    The fact is that if one uses gears that are qualified in his personnal scale as professionnal ,it will incline him or her to behave professionnaly.
    I mean that if you record your song on an old Gibson in front of a great Neumann mike with a recognised ingenior driving the desk there are chances that you consider you are doing something important,if you play the same tune on your asian copy with your cheap usb interface things might be different.
    I am aware that if you are convinced an involved in what you are doing,no matter the gears ( I've heard that some great guitar solos were recorded in a hotel room with headphones as a mike)
    Just to say that gears in general ,and convertors as part of the game,are important because they act on the way we behave.
    All the best.
    Olivier
    smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/04/29 07:10:50 (permalink)
    Don't forget the DA side of things. That's where I immediately noticed an improvement when I upgraded to UAD; audio "came to life" and allowed me to do better mixes.
    Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/04/29 10:54:59 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    THIS IS VERY TELLING....

"It doesn’t matter which converter you get once you’re at that level of quality."

most folks here, i say the great majority, never reach "that level of quality" to start with.

so, it's all relative to the level of quality you are starting with.

i also disagree with the validity of this test....
    my own experience has shown that the convertor by itself is not the only factor..
    the preamps (if included) play a HUGE HUGE difference...

and it should be as obvious as the nose on your face.

my experience shows me that using 'cheap' mic pres and convertors, really shows up across MULTIPLE tracks in a single song....

it's as if the lack of clarity of a track, whether pushing tubes into harmonic distortion on purpose or accident, or simply not having the gain of a solid state preamp dialed in, can create a collective 'sonic haze' over the entire playback,
    the more tracks, the worse it gets.

i say get the best convertors you can afford, and move on.

make the best of what you got, and move on.

but don't try to convince folks that the quality of convertors doesn't matter.
    looking at a single track and measuring it, does not tell the story.

also, play me just ONE mix that ethan winer has ever done, that kicks ass.
    just one.

also,
    research this same argument at mixerman's 'the womb'
    classic

+10,000
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/05/01 04:33:14 (permalink)
    I agree with all that has been said about the quality of the signal chain going in.

Yet, I still believe that there are people out there who hear the difference between converters, but those people have their signature sounds and chains that they know exactly what they sound after years of applying them and any subtle difference will become apparent.

For those like myself who work in the box (i.e. without a superb sounding analog console in between) I only get to hear the signal after the whole AD-DA conversions happened. So I assume if you give me slightly different converters, wouldn't I adjust slightly different to come up with something similar ????

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/05/05 19:42:03 (permalink)
    I think it would be interesting to have some of the posters who claim to have such wonderful hearing actually take Ethan's challenge and prove that they can truly hear half of what they claim.  Talk is cheap, can you even tell the difference between something that has passed through a mid-range audio AD/DA setup 10 times?  Post your findings here and lets see how well your ears past the test after he publishes the answers.

Glen

Platinum / VS-100 / 12 GB RAM / Win 10 Pro / AMD A8 / MP Touch Monitors
    Platinum / on-board audio / 4 GB RAM /Win 10 Pro / HP dm4 Laptop / stuff
    THpfft!
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/05/16 07:57:04 (permalink)
    I recently needed to make a location recording. Something I don't often need to do. The only thing I had was my old zoom handheld H4.

The H4 is one of the one of the older ones and you can find them on ebay for a pittance. I went to the location to experiment with it. Honestly I didn't have my hopes up very high. I was fully expecting to need a better rig for the job.

I used two condenser mics plugged into the xlr ports of the zoom with the H4 on battery power. After I had the gain staging correct I was blown away by the quality of the recordings. I can't imagine these converters being very good, yet the sound with no outboard preamps was amazing.

One thing I've noticed recently in my own recordings is I get more sheen using the highest bitrates and resolutions. In the case of the H4, it can record in 24/96 with phantom power. I suspect that if you ran the less expensive converters up to the highest resolutions you might notice a difference over 16/44.1. Higher resolution won't get you the exact sound of those more expensive converters but it seems to help.

I still might be getting another field recorder but I was blown away by the quality of the H4 for what it is.

As an FYI, I have noticed some killer converters at a great price but most audiophiles are missing it because it's marketed to photographers. Check these out- 

http://tascam.com/product/dr-70d/

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-70D-4-Channel-Audio-Recorder/dp/B00OY6718K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463399677&sr=8-1&keywords=tascam+dr+70d

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-60DmkII-DSLR-Audio-Recorder/dp/B00MIXFBL0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1463399677&sr=8-3&keywords=tascam+dr+70d

You can make great movie sound if you have the matching camera or they make excellent field recorders!
    post edited by Starise - 2016/05/16 08:34:12

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

vdd
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re: Is There A Quality Difference In AD/DA Converters? 2016/06/08 16:54:40 (permalink)
    In my experience, it is the preamp and the (headphone-)amplifier which makes the difference. Even low budget interfaces like the scarlett have "ok-isch" converter. But the analog parts of the cirquits are expensive. Using an additional preamp as well as a headphone amp changes the whole experience.
    Try to use a really good DI (Neve RNDI) instead of the HZ input of the interface: There is the real difference. And this gear will stay in your studio for generations of audio interfaces...

S-Plat x64 / i7-4790-3.60GHZ, 32GB RAM, Win 7 x64, Akai MPC Studio, Arturia Microbrute, Doepfer A-100, VTB-1, RME HDSPe
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1