Is UAD-1 a go? Or is something better

Author
TheFingers
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1669
2006/02/02 22:52:50 (permalink)

Is UAD-1 a go? Or is something better

coming soon? How much power does one card give you? I've heard good things about the quality of the plugins.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:

3 Replies Related Threads

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: Is UAD-1 a go? Or is something better 2006/02/03 02:32:11 (permalink)
    I really like my UAD card. It's hard to quantify how much power it gives you. I think there are tables on the Universal Audio site telling you how many plugs you can run per card of each. SONAR's freeze ability makes the UAD's power stretch a lot further though as you can freeze UAD plugs, freeing up DSP on the card, thus allowing more plugins to be used per project. IMO the quality of the plugs is quite excellent.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    TheFingers
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Is UAD-1 a go? Or is something better 2006/02/03 02:46:13 (permalink)
    I didn't even think about the Freeze aspect....that's nice! I'm hearing more and more on this forum users are really happy with UAD. They've got this Flexi-pak that includes $500 worth of plugins for an extra $300.

Any other opinions would be appreciated too, especially if you have the time to address particular plugins with which you have first hand experience. Thank you.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: Is UAD-1 a go? Or is something better 2006/02/03 08:27:50 (permalink)
    I have had a couple UAD-1 cards for several years now. UA is continuing to improve and expand the range of plugins available. They just signed an exclusive agreement with AMS Neve Limited to co-develop a series of classic console plug-ins for the UAD-1 plugin. The first of which, will be the 1073 EQ.
    They just completed the Roland bundle (Space Echo should be out anytime now) and also the Precision Mastering series. I would not be surprised to see more plugins of UA hardware, in the future. Did anyone say LA-3A? Of course, the current catalogue of plugins is pretty impressive. My favorite's being, many of the vintage classics, like the LA-2A, 1176LN, Pultec Pro & EMT Plate 140. Yes, the track freeze function works great, in SONAR, using the UAD-1 plugins. It automatically releases the cards DSP, for more plugins, once you freeze. If you are on a tight budget (aren't we all) then the Project Pak is the most economical. But the best bang for buck, right now is probably the new Flexi-Pak.

If you shop here for your UAD-1, you can get a 10% discount, by being a registered member, of the UAD-1 forum. You can pick up a Flexi-Pak for about $630 delivered(less discount). Which means you basically get the UAD-1 for $130, cause you still have $500 dollars left to spend on more plugins. If I were is your shoes and I was getting the Flexi-Pak, as a first UAD-1 purchase, I would get these plugins with my coupon (LA-2A, 1176LN, Pultec Pro & EMT Plate 140) :

http://www.jrrshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=5531

UAD-1 forum:

http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/

You can easily check out the various plugins, by double clicking on the plugin GUI, that interests you and clicking on the "Demo's & Tips" to the left, for the plugin. Most have audio & video demos:

http://www.uaudio.com/products/software/UAD-1/index.html

There are some motherboard/chip set combinations that are more problematic than others. It may behoove you to contact UA directly (call or email) with your computer specs, for the latest info first. Be aware, that you may need to get your hands "dirty" (changing PC slots, setting PCI latency, etc) to fine tune the UAD-1, for use in your PC.

http://www.uaudio.com/support/software/UAD-1/motherboards.html

Cheers

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1