AnsweredIs a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/07 08:43:32 (permalink)
sock monkey
as I sang some test passages, and everything stayed in the green, no yellow/red. But when I would play back. louder passages would have a sort of clipped sound, almost as if someone had applied a way too-heavy brick wall compression on it."

Here seems to be telling the story... If the Scarlett and Sonar do not show clipping yet you GET clipping, this points at something wrong with the mike. 

Or the cable... which is where most of my noise problems tend to come from.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/07 10:46:57 (permalink)
I've made vocal recordings via my Focusrite interface that were clipped, even though the levels were OK within SONAR and I didn't notice any clip indicators while I was recording. It wasn't until I began mixing that I noticed harshness and saw some flat-topped peaks. I suspect there isn't as much headroom in these mic preamps as what I'm used to, making it possible to clip without noticing it's happening.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Beepster
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/07 12:01:48 (permalink)
bitflipper
I've made vocal recordings via my Focusrite interface that were clipped, even though the levels were OK within SONAR and I didn't notice any clip indicators while I was recording. It wasn't until I began mixing that I noticed harshness and saw some flat-topped peaks. I suspect there isn't as much headroom in these mic preamps as what I'm used to, making it possible to clip without noticing it's happening.

I had a LOT of clipping problems/wildly fluctuating levels using the Inst. input on the Scarlett while recording bass. Partially due to poor technique and pickup that sticks up too high at the low E string (one of the plastic mounts is broken because some dumbass dropped it while skateboarding with it sans case... grrr). Once I started putting the bass through my amp head it evened things out. I'm getting a better tone this way anyway.

I had similar issues with my guitar tracks. It's a nice input and sounds pretty good for a multi in but it ain't perfect... that's for sure. Still much better than the multi ins on my Layla from what I can hear.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/07 13:19:29 (permalink)
I noticed the same "low level" headphone output issue with my Focusrite. Since I have 8 outputs I simply ran one pair to the AUX in on my stereo system receiver and the headphone levels were no longer a problem.

I have since picked up a Behringer 4 ch headphone amp so that I can easily use multiple headphones for singers and others in the studio. 

Those are my solutions and they both worked wonderfully.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/07 20:04:14 (permalink)
sock monkey
as I sang some test passages, and everything stayed in the green, no yellow/red. But when I would play back. louder passages would have a sort of clipped sound, almost as if someone had applied a way too-heavy brick wall compression on it."

Here seems to be telling the story... If the Scarlett and Sonar do not show clipping yet you GET clipping, this points at something wrong with the mike. 

Or the input gain is turned up way too high in Sonar. I'm betting the OP is not taking this into account.

#28.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/08 21:30:11 (permalink)
I know nothing about the interface you are using, but I can tell you that a number of years ago I got some new headphones that were AKG.  I have no idea what model they were, but they were a give or take $100 pair.  They sounded great and were "open", but they were nowhere near loud enough to monitor recording my drums.  I had been using some Sony phones that were "closed" and a LOT louder.  The primary difference was the impedance of the AKG phones was much lower than the Sony pair.  I ended up taking the AKG phones back and getting some replacement Sonys at the time.  Now I have some Bose phones that work well volume-wise, and sound good, though I think I may still prefer my old Sony phones if I still had them.  And I generally don't care for Sony stuff.

Hope this adds something.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/09 10:59:59 (permalink)
Or the input gain is turned up way too high in Sonar. I'm betting the OP is not taking this into account.

Only you interface controls the level while recording. This is where they are having an issue, They are turning the gain way down too low because of random clipping. 
I'll also agree that the focusrite pre amps are not as forgiving as any others I have used in the past.. they are way to sensitive for my liking. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

shmuelyosef
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 178
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/09 17:01:06 (permalink)
MacFurse
OK. A lot of that now makes a lot more sense. My wife is an extremely loud singer, and mic technique is everything for her, and she is the reason I initially went down the pre-amp/comp on the input stage.

If your wife sings loud and wants to get close to the microphone, you may be better off with a different microphone. I don't see a traditional vocal mike in your signature, but if she likes to manage proximity actively (a lot of jazz singers are aggressive with this), then it might be better suited to a handheld dynamic with a high SPL tolerance. Even an SM58 does a great job on vocals; I often use a Sennheiser 421 on a stand for loud singers (and saxophones as well). Dynamics don't get enough love...

- Sonar Platinum 64-bit; Reaper; Ableton Live 9; Samplitude
- PugetSystems Serenity Mini: WIN 10-PRO 64-bit; Intel Quad i7-4670 turbo to 3.8GHz; 16GB RAM; ASUS Gryphon Z89 - Antec P180 case. 
- Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
- DSI OB-6 (love child of a Prophet and an Oberheim)
- NORD Electro 3HP
- Roland XP-10
- Customized Fender-Rhodes Dyno Stage 73
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/09 17:48:50 (permalink)
I like a 57 on female vocals sometimes!
Beepster
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/10 14:01:48 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I like a 57 on female vocals sometimes!

Have you ever used a Shure Beta 57? Awesome mic. It's got the nice crisp high/mids of the classic 57s and Beta Greens but it's built more ruggedly like a 58 so it isn't all sharp and prone to plosives/feedback/bumps/etc. It also handles low end better than a 57 without the dull mud of a 58.

I got to use one for a few years for some higher/mid freq vox that went back and forth from soft melodic to screecher. Very nice blend of the two mics and I soooooo want to buy one (but they are more expensive than the 57 or 58). 
I see now there is a Beta 58a (not sure if that's new or what). I wonder what that's like. I like Beta greens for vox but they lack balls. Regular 58s are just too damned muddy and boomy for my taste even if you can whip them against a concrete wall and not break it.
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/10 15:25:33 (permalink)
I use Beta 58s regularly, mostly live, I love that. I have had a regular 57 for ages just cause it's a staple. Haven't used the 57 beta much (mainly incidentally live), thanks for the tip. I think they tend to be a little less hypercardioid? Not really an issue in the studio of course.
Beepster
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/10 17:16:37 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I use Beta 58s regularly, mostly live, I love that. I have had a regular 57 for ages just cause it's a staple. Haven't used the 57 beta much (mainly incidentally live), thanks for the tip. I think they tend to be a little less hypercardioid? Not really an issue in the studio of course.

Yup. Definitely which is another reason I really like them. They handle movement by the vocalist a lot better. You can back up or eat it or move in from the side (the last of which was kind of one thing I did to control dynamics) and it responds to those movements but it's far smoother in my experience than a regular 57 where you kind of have to stay in the sweet spot and/or be REALLY aware of where your face is at.

It has been a while though but to me that mic felt like "home". I gotta try to save up for one of those and an SM7b (and at least one decent condenser) and I'll be mic happy. Actually I should probably try to find a classic 57 too for micing cabs and in acoustic guitar multi mic set ups but they can be had rather inexpensively.
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Is a "headphone amplifier" what I need? If so, any suggestions on which one? 2014/08/10 20:59:16 (permalink)
I record at home exclusively with SM7B. No regrets on that mic.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1