Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5?

Author
DodoLurker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2010/07/18 12:22:39 (permalink)

Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5?

Does anyone out there have 4 or more soundcards working in Sonar?

I recently upgraded to Sonar 8.5 from Sonar 4 on a Windows XP machine. I'm trying to run 8 Echo Layla 24/96 soundcards which worked fine in Sonar 4, but in Sonar 8.5 it crashes on playback, I get a high pitched wail or sometimes it locks up my entire machine forcing a hard reboot.

I would prefer to use WDM drivers, but the Echo manual specifically states that Sonar has a problem with it (even back in Sonar 4). So I'm trying to use ASIO.

To recap: it works fine with 3 soundcards or less, but as soon as I install the 4th card, Sonar throws a fit. I've tried different PCI slots, different cards, cables, etc. I've reinstalled my drivers, reinstalled Sonar and all the other troubleshooting steps. Other Windows apps are fine with all 8 soundcards, as is Sonar 4. The problem is definitely in Sonar 8.5 only.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Also, are there any Echo users at all who have gotten their soundcards to work in WDM?

27 Replies Related Threads

bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/18 13:01:37 (permalink)
    Just out of curiosity, how in the world do you have 8 sound cards physically installed and connected? Second question - why did you choose 8 cards rather than one large multi I/O interface?

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/18 13:07:25 (permalink)
    I am not a knowledgable person on this subject,  but i was under the impression that ASIO will allows only one sound card.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/18 13:08:37 (permalink)
    Basics: ASIO can only run one soundcard at a time.

If you really need all the ins/outs of those 8 cards you  should rebuild your whole set instead of playing with a inevitably unstable setup like that.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    DodoLurker
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/18 17:38:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses. bmdaustin, I'm using a Magma Expansion box which lets me add up to 13 PCI cards. They're pretty common in ProTools setups or for people who run a lot of UAD cards. I didn't really plan it this way. I just started adding soundcards as I needed them, and when I filled up my PC I got this Expansion box. If I had planned ahead, I would've bought a large I/O soundcard in the beginning, but instead I built up slowly over the years.

Jimbo & Kalle, I've heard that about ASIO also, but experience proves otherwise. As we speak I'm running 8 soundcards in ASIO mode (I've rolled back to Sonar 4).

Kalle, yes rebuilding my DAW is an option. But honestly it would be a lot cheaper to dump Sonar (if Sonar is the problem) and learn a new software package that can handle the hardware. Everything was humming along fine until I upgraded to 8.5.

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/18 17:47:32 (permalink)
    I may be wrong, but if the drivers from a vendor allow it, ASIO will work w/ multiple cards.  WDM allows different vendors cards to work as long as you can use sync them.

I'd write tech support to see if they know about the problem and have a solution.  It could be SONAR, it could be Echo.  That would be your best bet and just use 3 cards in the meanwhile.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/18 17:48:35 (permalink)
    Jimbo & Kalle, I've heard that about ASIO also, but experience proves otherwise. As we speak I'm running 8 soundcards in ASIO mode (I've rolled back to Sonar 4).

The only way one can run more than one ASIO card simultaneously is if the vendor of the audio device makes their drivers stackable, in effect.   IOW, it's ONE ASIO driver "talking to" multiple "same vendor" devices.

But I suspect you're having a driver issue anyway.   Have you checked that you have the proper version and updates given your current system config?  That probably is where to start.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/18 18:16:08 (permalink)
    I haven't heard of magma for hhmm 10 years.. we were tinkering with them at work for hooking up to mac laptops..

there are a few exceptions to the rule of 1 card to asio... e.g. my old sw1000 + dsp factory, worked together under asio.. some cards you can chain together e.g. the m-audio delta's

how many channels or "real" in / outs are you needing.. the motu's you could run 3 units joined to 1 pci card years ago..

a lot of other cards , e.g. the RME's can run a LOT of channels of the 1 card and then you add daughter boards etc

other things that impact this whole thing is if the drivers themselves are multi-client.. if not, then it's not do-able and maybe they only expect a max of 3 cards to be used.. you'll have to contact them to find out.

have you checked with the card makers if there is a limit to how many you can run chained in asio mode?

the other thing used to be issues with IRQ's , how does the magma deal with shared IRQ's etc.. is the mama still a pci card? to their case? I only have experience of them on the mac's where the IRQ thing wasn't an issue

post edited by Fog - 2010/07/18 18:25:39
    DodoLurker
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/18 19:41:37 (permalink)
    Thanks again for the ideas, everyone. ba_midi & Fog, I think I'm lucky that the Echo drivers support stacking/chaining. When (in Windows) I run the driver app, it opens 1 window per soundcard & names them 1,2,3,4,etc. In Sonar they each appear as different I/O devices.

Fog, yeah this Magma box is ancient. I can't believe it still works. But it's a really great way to add PCI slots to your computer, especially since new computers don't have PCI anymore. I'm afraid I have no idea how to manage IRQ's, but if it means anything, I don't see any conflicts (exclamation points) popping up. The Magma box is all PCI inside, and it connects to my computer (laptop) through a PCMCIA. Beyond that, I have no clue how it works, and Magma tech support is awful.

I hope Echo support is better. I contacted them as you suggested, AT. I also read more of the manual, browsed their site and found some interesting things. The manual says, "Cakewalk’s SONAR may not work correctly in WDM/KS mode.  We recommend that you use ASIO mode in SONAR.  Echo is continuing to work with Cakewalk to improve the situation."

But in another section it says I can use WDM/KS if I configure it (I'll post it here in case someone else gets the same problem):

If you prefer, you can also use SONAR in WDM/KS mode.  Here are the required settings for using SONAR with our driver in WDM/KS mode. Within SONAR, go to Options/Audio. 

• On the “General” tab, set “Audio Driver Bit Depth” to 24.  

• On the “Advanced” tab, we suggest selecting “Trigger & Freewheel”

• On the “Driver Profiles” tab, uncheck “Access Driver In Mono”.  Be sure to set
    “Stream > 16 bit data as” to “32-bit PCM, left justified”.

So I'm going to cross my fingers and try those configuration settings. Tomorrow, that is. Right now I'm bushed! Thanks again for all the help. The general consensus seems to be right: it's a driver/config problem. I'll report back...
    post edited by DodoLurker - 2010/07/18 19:43:05
    dr.hash
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/19 18:42:16 (permalink)
    Why???? on earth are you running four sound cards????
    One is enough if your using them to compare your work all you are doing is comparing converters???
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/19 19:44:12 (permalink)
    The name DodoLurker says it all.

Craig DuBuc
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/19 19:50:03 (permalink)
    Srsly, not to deride the original post, but I'd have to recommend selling that setup and getting a simple multi I/O interface. 

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/19 20:06:32 (permalink)
    I think there's a limit to the number of hardware interrupts (IRQ's).

And they are not there just for soundcards.

Windows manages them and shares them..But there is surely a limit to everything.

How many speakers would one use in such a system, I wonder.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    wintaper
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 464
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/20 13:17:41 (permalink)
    ASIO can only run one soundcard at a time. 

Incorrect. Only one ASIO driver can be loaded at once. That driver can support multiple sound cards - usually multiple instances of the same card, but some ASIO driver makers - like RME - can support various combinations of their cards at once.

Intel i7 @ 3.60GHz, 12GB DDR3 1600MHz, Win7 / OSX 10.6.6, Sonar 8.53 / Pro Tools 9.0.1, RME RayDAT, UAD2-Quad, Focusrite OctoPre (x4), Euphonix MC Mix, Tascam US2400, Monette Ajna (x2), 15' Macbook Pro

DodoLurker
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/26 09:24:57 (permalink)
    Thanks again to the people who offered helpful advice & info.

The need for multiple soundcards is so that audio engineers can record live shows and/or 48+ tracks at once, spread out across a large venue or in different rooms of a studio. Having individual DSP boxes at each station cuts down on analog cable runs, eliminates the need for snakes & patchbays, gives each performer a dedicated headphone/monitor, and does all this without a huge central console which you can't lug to every location all the time. This setup is also much cheaper than a single 48+ I/O box, believe it or not.

Of course none of this applies to a bedroom studio. Nor does a bedroom studio mentality apply to a theatrical setup. So, Crg, you might want to dump your snarky attitude unless you enjoy looking like a fool.
    post edited by DodoLurker - 2010/07/26 09:26:29
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/26 12:54:45 (permalink)
    WDM will let you have more then one card. Your only problem is syncing them.

Best
    John
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/26 13:08:37 (permalink)
    Hmm Im an Echo guy and WDM works better for me :)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Crg
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/26 19:14:43 (permalink)
    I still think the name Dodolurker says it all. Bedroom studio, what a obscure term. The multiple soundcards you refer to in production studios don't have any parralel with what the OP is talking about. My snarky attitude is due to your misconceptions about the issue. I think you have the snark on this one dude. Have a nice day.

Craig DuBuc
    DodoLurker
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/26 20:04:15 (permalink)
    John, thanks for pointing that out. I just realized I haven't synched their word clocks and that may be part of the problem.

Lanceindastudio, BIG THANKS for your input. I've been searching high & low for an Echo user to tell me that WDM works with Sonar.

Crg, aren't you embarrassed that you're the only unhelpful, cranky boy in this otherwise very helpful thread about multiple soundcards and the best drivers? Try harder, son. Try harder.
    Crg
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/27 19:03:34 (permalink)
    DodoLurker

John, thanks for pointing that out. I just realized I haven't synched their word clocks and that may be part of the problem.

Lanceindastudio, BIG THANKS for your input. I've been searching high & low for an Echo user to tell me that WDM works with Sonar.

Crg, aren't you embarrassed that you're the only unhelpful, cranky boy in this otherwise very helpful thread about multiple soundcards and the best drivers? Try harder, son. Try harder.

Not at all, your original post doesn't make any sense. At least in terms of a DAW and what it takes. Soundcards-interfaces, there's a big difference. Sure, I insulted your forum name. should I say Lurker say's it all? You provide not enough information and as soon as you're confronted you want to start trading barbs. Have a nice day and adios. 

Craig DuBuc
    DodoLurker
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/27 20:28:22 (permalink)
    Crg

Not at all, your original post doesn't make any sense. At least in terms of a DAW and what it takes.

No, my post was never about "a DAW and what it takes". Read again. It's about multiple soundcards and drivers (WDM vs. ASIO) in Sonar. No one else had any trouble understanding plain English or contributing helpful ideas to the discussion, nor did anyone else get angry and throw insults. If language isn't your forté, maybe you shouldn't talk so much, eh.
    aleef
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/27 21:56:09 (permalink)
    im LMAO!!! DodoLurker...its a funny @$$ name. what is a DodoLurker??

answer= someone lurking around for dodo's... LMAO!!!!!
    post edited by aleef - 2010/07/27 22:04:06

Intel i7 3820 3.6 GHz
    ASUS Sabertooth X79 16Gb   
    SonarX2PE ProTools 11 
    RME HDSP9632
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/27 22:46:27 (permalink)
    Ok children, if you dont stop that behavior, Im going to take all of your gear and play with it on webcam while you watch me make your stuff sound better than you ever did. Muauahahahahahahahahahaha - snark snark!!!

lol j/k guys, but serioously, lighten the f**k up! lol

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    aleef
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/27 23:11:27 (permalink)
    Lanceindastudio

Ok children, if you dont stop that behavior, Im going to take all of your gear and play with it on webcam while you watch me make your stuff sound better than you ever did. Muauahahahahahahahahahaha - snark snark!!!

lol j/k guys, but serioously, lighten the f**k up! lol

STILL LMAO....

HEY! Lance i checked out some of your music.. you sound great man..
    you are a talented cat....i wish you much success....aleef

Intel i7 3820 3.6 GHz
    ASUS Sabertooth X79 16Gb   
    SonarX2PE ProTools 11 
    RME HDSP9632
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/28 03:51:36 (permalink)
    hey thanx man! I feel inclined to check you out now :)

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    DodoLurker
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/28 07:29:18 (permalink)
    aleef

im LMAO!!! DodoLurker...its a funny @$$ name. what is a DodoLurker??

answer= someone lurking around for dodo's... LMAO!!!!!
    Haha, and I sure found one in this thread
    Seriously, not a soul knows the reference?
    Hint:
    So pig-headed couldn't see the joke
    (got it, Crg?)
    post edited by DodoLurker - 2010/07/28 07:37:08
    HAMERMAN409
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/28 08:01:18 (permalink)
    I just assumed you are a fan of Genesis.
    DodoLurker
    Re:Is anyone able to run multiple soundcards (4 or more) on Sonar 8.5? 2010/07/28 08:36:19 (permalink)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1