Helpful ReplyIs anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer?

Author
kday
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
2018/11/11 18:49:03 (permalink)

Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer?

Trying to see if it works with no problems for anyone using a Windows OS computer.

Thanks
Billy Buck
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2101
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/12 13:28:54 (permalink)
I have been successfully using an Apollo Twin Duo USB with my Win 10 Pro x64 DAW and SPLAT/CbB x64 for several years now. I also used an Apollo 8 SF Quad FW for several years before that (sold it  on Reverb when I went to USB) and will probably upgrade to the latest Apollo X8 TB3  sometime next year during one of UA's regular promo deals. I also use several other x64 DAW's (REAPER, Studio One 3, ACID Pro 8) as well. They all work well with the Apollo/UAD plugins using it's ASIO/DSP x64 drivers. Pretty much plug and play.

Cheers,
Billy Buck

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/12 13:55:00 (permalink)
Yes, the Apollo series USB or Thunderbolt-3, both work well with a well-configured Windows machine.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/12 13:58:36 (permalink)
If you've got a Thunderbolt-3 port (and don't need the UAD plugins), the Presonus Quantum should be on your short-list.  Quantum yields amazingly low round-trip latency (1ms at 96k with a 32-sample ASIO buffer size).
If the UAD plugins are what you're after, the Apollo series and the Unison DSP will allow you to play/record thru their plugins at ~2ms latency.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
kday
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/13 13:52:17 (permalink)
Thanks Jim and Billy,

I found a Gigabyte motherboard that has Thunderbolt 3 built in, so with that I can use the Apollo interface without having to use a separate thunderbolt adapter for Windows OS.
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/13 17:56:43 (permalink)
one more positive comment - I've been using UAD with Windows since it first came out, and the Apollo Twin USB since it came out, and I've had nary a problem that wasn't self inflicted.

I really want to upgrade to the x8, but that means a new machine, and orphaning the Apollo Twin USB. The new machine is not a huge issue financially (well, the whole upgrade will be pricey), but I am NOT looking forward to rebuilding the DAW.

There is some benefit to the exercise, stuff I never use will be removed, but it's tedious and time consuming.

And I'm both cheap and lazy...

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Jim Roseberry
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/14 14:21:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby highlandermak 2018/11/21 14:30:15
kday
I found a Gigabyte motherboard that has Thunderbolt 3 built in, so with that I can use the Apollo interface without having to use a separate thunderbolt adapter for Windows OS.

Make sure you know all the details about Thunderbolt-3.

Most Thunderbolt audio interfaces are Thunderbolt-2 (including the Apollo-8).
If the audio interface is Thunderbolt-2, you'll need a Thunderbolt-3 to Thunderbolt-2 adapter (Apple and StarTech both make adapters).  

If your motherboard doesn't specifically come with Thunderbolt-3, you can't just add it to any motherboard.
The motherboard specifically has to have a Thunderbolt-3 header... and support in the BIOS for that particular Thunderbolt Add-In-Card.

Thunderbolt-3 connects via USB-C port.
USB-C can carry USB-3.1 or Thunderbolt (this is where it can get confusing).
Many motherboards have USB-C port/s... but don't have Thunderbolt-3.
If the motherboard doesn't specifically mention having a Thunderbolt-3 controller (or support for a TB3 add-in-card), it doesn't have/support Thunderbolt.

Microsoft only supports "PCIe via Thunderbolt" with Thunderbolt-3 controllers.
If you have an older Thunderbolt-2 controller, it won't work.
Older Thunderbolt-2 controllers that are currently being used with Thunderbolt audio interfaces are running "Firewire via Thunderbolt"... not "PCIe via Thunderbolt"... which is necessary for PCIe level performance.

Microsoft only supports "PCIe via Thunderbolt" with Windows 10.

Make sure your Thunderbolt audio interface specifically has a Windows 10 driver.
Some are Mac only.  Don't assume

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/15 17:49:12 (permalink)
I use an Apollo 8 and and an Apollo 16 on my Windows 10 machine with Thunderbolt (plus an Octo PCIE card).

Hasn't always been smooth but it is now very reliable. Updating is sometimes a pain - you have to uninstall the old software, and then manually uninstall the drivers and reboot before reinstalling. If I don't do that, stuff doesn't work right. :/

I get prompted to update my firmware too often and have resorted to deleting the firmware files from the PC after an update. I even sent my unit in and they couldn't figure out why that was happening, but I've learned to live with it.

Overall, I'm a fan of UAD and I have no intention of changing my interface or my OS.

Now, I did spill water on my motherboard Friday and we're in the process of figuring out all that was fried. Hope that Octo still works!
Jim Roseberry
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/15 18:15:35 (permalink)
smallstonefan
Now, I did spill water on my motherboard Friday and we're in the process of figuring out all that was fried. Hope that Octo still works!

Ouch!

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
user390096
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/16 07:40:15 (permalink)
I've got an Apollo Twin Quad Thunderbolt that works fairly well but seems to have too many audio drops for me to say it's great. Of course, I use my self-built somewhat high-end computer (TB3) for everything, not just music so maybe that's why it has performance issues. I also have lots of hard drives. An ssd for windows and then a 4 TB for main storage plus 2 other HD's for backup.

My biggest complaint is that I have trouble recording the midi performance data from my Roland drum set without turning off all the FX in the project and using a 128 buffer (which is too slow for my ears). My old Roland OctaCapure could go down to 32 buffers (almost no noticeable latency) and rarely crashed and I could keep all the FX on. I keep asking UA and Sweetwater (where I shop mostly) to help me figure out the problem, but so far, no solutions. Had I known the drum performance would be troublesome, I don't think I would have got into the Apollo world. In fact, I just bought a bunch of WARM stuff, EQ, 2A, 1176 and a new 47 mic that has a huge buzzing sound. They are sending me a replacement tomorrow. Of course, I didn't even know these pro-level hardware units even existed until I got into Apollo. Maybe it's time to sell the Apollo, hmmm...
Jim Roseberry
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/16 16:40:52 (permalink)
Lowest possible round-trip latency is not the Apollo's forte'.
The onboard Unison DSP is really nice (monitor/track in realtime thru UAD plugins with ~2ms latency), but the downside is that DSP support adds latency.
Apollo can get down to about 3.7ms total round-trip latency.
Apollo won't let you select the 32-sample ASIO buffer size if you're working above 48k.
Frankly, even if you could select the 32-sample ASIO buffer size at higher sample-rates, the audio would glitch.

If you're wanting to trigger drum samples at the lowest possible latency, right now, the best option is to run the Presonus Quantum (via Thunderbolt-3).
Round-trip latency at 96k (32-sample ASIO buffer size) is 1ms.  
Triggering your drum samples would be one-way Playback latency (a little more than half a ms).  
As long as your machine can keep up with the load, audio is completely glitch-free.
The only downside to Quantum; it doesn't have any onboard DSP for monitoring/routing/loopback-recording.
All monitoring/routing has to be done via software.
The lack of onboard DSP allows Quantum to yield such low round-trip latency.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
smallstonefan
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/16 19:39:37 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
smallstonefan

Ouch!

So we put in an Asrock motherboard and everything works - it was just the mobo. However, it turns out the USB3 Type C connector on this mobo is USB only and not dual purpose Thunderbolt. There is a TB header, but you have to buy an add-on card, which no one in the US seems to stock???

So I am thinking about another mobo, and so far can't find one to replace my Gigabyte that fried!

Seems like TB motherboards are few and far between. :(
user390096
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/17 00:38:51 (permalink)
Looked on Amazon and found the MB I bought that works well but I don't think it's available new anymore but they seem to have a refurbished one. And yes, TB3 MB's don't seem to be the default yet.

GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-UD5 LGA1151 Intel 2-Way SLI ATX DDR4 Motherboard
user390096
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/17 00:47:12 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry,

Thanx for the info. That Presonous looks kinda expensive, $1500? Do they have a smaller version but just as fast? FYI only looking at Sweetwater.

smallstonefan
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/18 22:50:21 (permalink)
user390096
Looked on Amazon and found the MB I bought that works well but I don't think it's available new anymore but they seem to have a refurbished one. And yes, TB3 MB's don't seem to be the default yet.

GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-UD5 LGA1151 Intel 2-Way SLI ATX DDR4 Motherboard

The motherboard we ordered and installed doesn't support Thunderbolt without an add-on card, which cannot currently be obtained in the US. Arg!

I found a place that had refurbs of my old board and had one sent to me. Happy to say I just got it working today and I'm typing on it now!
Jim Roseberry
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/19 18:15:54 (permalink)
user390096
Jim Roseberry,
Thanx for the info. That Presonous looks kinda expensive, $1500? Do they have a smaller version but just as fast? FYI only looking at Sweetwater.

Quantum is $1000.  
If you don't need that much I/O, Quantum-2 is $700.
Both offer the same performance.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
thepianist65
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 644
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/20 15:17:58 (permalink)
It looked like the new Apollo x8 has built in Thunderbolt 3. They are promising less than 2ms latency. It's very pricey, about 3K, vs. 1K or less on sale for the Quantum. UAD stuff does look like a wonderful part of the package (they offer a bunch of plug ins included), but maybe this is overkill for a studio without a huge console, I'm guessing. Just wondering if I would miss the onboard DSP or not, not sure, I'm thinking I usually use my DAW's on-screen console, and am considering a control surface add-on, too.

www.davemaffris.com
 BLUES:
https://www.facebook.com/coastalblueband1/

https://www.facebook.com/Midiexpert/?ref=hl
Please feel free to check out my music, all made with Cakewalk, available on itunes, Amazon, Google, Rdio, etc., etc.
For mostly jazzy stuff on Soundcloud at these locations:
https://soundcloud.com/dave-maffris
or for some different styles of music(pop/rock/covers):
https://soundcloud.com/dmpianoman
Tidewater Jazz page:
https://soundcloud.com/user-84355115

Jim Roseberry
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/21 15:23:21 (permalink)
Thunderbolt-3 won't buy any additional performance.
It's simply more bandwidth...
The Apollo is nowhere near saturating Thunderbolt-2, so it's a moot point.

Using their Unison DSP, you can monitor thru UAD plugins at 2ms latency.

Lowest Apollo goes is about 3.7ms total round-trip latency.
If you're trying to run UAD plugins at 96k (using a 64-sample ASIO buffer size), you'll mostly likely hear glitches.
The Apollo audio interfaces great, but lowest possible round-trip latency (when monitoring thru software - not their Unison DSP) is not the Apollo's forte'.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
smallstonefan
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/21 18:56:19 (permalink)
So my UAD stuff was working on my new mobo, and then just stopped. The software won't recognize the PCIE quad or the two Thunderbolt units. I have tried everything that I know how to do, and I'm going on 45 minutes hold time with UAD support.

Need to get rid of the "No devices found" message.

I so want this working for the holiday weekend...
Jim Roseberry
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/21 20:01:31 (permalink)
Does your Thunderbolt controller have a USB 3.1 port (type A)?
If so, insert a Flash drive... to see if the controller is working.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
smallstonefan
Re: Is anyone here using an Apollo interface with a Windows computer? 2018/11/23 04:51:08 (permalink)
Thanks Jim,

About an hour on the phone with a nice guy from Baton Rouge and I was all sorted out. Seems Windows renamed the drivers and thought they were something different. We had to break that association to get them to be recognized properly.

At this time, I appear to have a fully working system. I've spent the day wrapping up calibration of the Midas, and alll hardware signal chains. Now to have some fun... :)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1