Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5?

Author
ATS
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 877
2008/10/25 02:04:31 (permalink)

Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5?

If you are is it working for you? I installed the demo and it crashes my whole computer to a blue screen every time I try to use it. It doesn't happen right away but it always happens after just a few minutes.

Anyone else have this problem with Absynth. A real shame because it is such a nice sounding synth.

Also I tried Absynth in FL Studio on the same computer and no problems at all.
post edited by ATS - 2008/10/25 02:10:29

20 Replies Related Threads

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/25 05:58:18 (permalink)
    I used to have Absynth 4 , cant say it gave me too many problems, I sold it off after I had a disagreement with the Native Instruments support. Since then Ive got Kore 2 and I have to say the support is better than it was previously, they are much more responsive, giving answers in a matter of days instead of months.

Its a great synth that to be honest I regret getting rid of. Ill probably get it again sometime.
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/25 13:50:55 (permalink)

I use it all the time without problem. Generally it's better to use the Dxi version of NI synths with Cakewalk products. The VSTI version may need to be resized, but those work as well.

ctgleason
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/25 16:13:38 (permalink)
    I haven't had any problems with it.
    ATS
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/26 23:39:50 (permalink)
    ok I will unistall it and only install the DXi versions. I really pray this will fix it because I love absynth too

Thanks for the replies you all

One more thing are you all using Vista?

edit: no luck with dxi version sadly
    post edited by ATS - 2008/10/27 00:01:05
    wrench45us
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/27 07:59:45 (permalink)

No one is using Vista

rcross
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/27 13:20:59 (permalink)
    No one is using Vista

Not true - Vista Ultimate SP1 (32 bit), VST version of Absynth 4.0.5, Presonus Firebox in ASIO mode @6ms. Working here without much trouble.

--rC--
    ATS
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/27 16:11:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rcross

No one is using Vista

Not true - Vista Ultimate SP1 (32 bit), VST version of Absynth 4.0.5, Presonus Firebox in ASIO mode @6ms. Working here without much trouble.

mmm I guess I will wait to hear back from NI support. Keeps crashing my computer
    post edited by ATS - 2008/10/27 16:14:31
    ctgleason
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/27 16:29:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us
    No one is using Vista

I'm on Vista Pro 32-bit and Absynth is working fine with P5.

What he meant to say is "no one with any sense is using Vista."
    ATS
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/27 23:09:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ctgleason

No one is using Vista

I got this reply from Native Instruments

To resolve this issue, please delete the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex registry
    folder.

To do this you will need to run the Registry Editor.
    Windows XP:
    Click on Start > Run, type Regedit and press OK
    Windows Vista:
    Start--> type "regedit" and press Enter

Note: be very careful while you are running the Registry Editor.
    You can easily render your machine unable to boot if you play with settings
    you aren't familiar with!
    You may want to immediately back up your Registry before doing any editing.

Please check this information from Microsoft about backing up your Registry:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

After you enter the above commands, the Registry Editor window will appear.
    Please expand (click on the "+") the following folders:
    HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    ASIO
    You should then select the "ASIO DirectX Full Duplex" folder and press delete.
    This will delete this driver (which is essentially a rough translator for ASIO
    from Dirext X) so that it will not be initialized at start-up. Then restart
    your system. Issue should be resolved.
    If it continues then make sure you are running the latest update version. at
    worst you should uninstall and reinstall the application.

Please uninstall the application using the Add/Remove Programs control panel
    (Windows XP) or the Programs and Features control panel (Vista).

Then reinstall from the original installer you used (either from disk or from
    a download).

Then download and install the latest update available in our Update Manager
    (in the Service
    Gabriel
    Native Instruments Support Team

the problem is I have no folder called "ASIO DirectX Full Duplex"

I wrote them back with a screen shot of my registry. So I am guessing now it is something to do with my sound card driver.
    post edited by ATS - 2008/10/27 23:12:28
    ATS
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/27 23:11:27 (permalink)

No one is using Vista

i have XP (not installed now) but for me Vista is much better. It seemed I always had something go terribly wrong with XP like every 6 months where I would have to reinstall the OS. No problems really with Vista.
    post edited by ATS - 2008/10/27 23:14:27
    ctgleason
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/27 23:48:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ATS
    i have XP (not installed now) but for me Vista is much better. It seemed I always had something go terribly wrong with XP like every 6 months where I would have to reinstall the OS. No problems really with Vista.

Actually, Vista has been okay for me too after I disabled most of the new GUI features. It was unusable in the low-power mode on my machine (which is a pretty good machine - Dell XPS M1330) with everything turned on.

Lots of hardware had no working drivers in Vista for quite some time (so much for plug and play!), but I haven't run into any problems recently.

Some things like sleep mode are better in Vista than in XP. Sleep is good enough that I don't use hibernation (which is good because hibernation seems to be slower and less reliable in Vista than XP).

The other big gripe I have with Vista is that it takes up a giant slice of your hard drive, without any clear value for all of that.

I didn't have any catastrophic issues with either XP or Vista. For me Windows is just a lingering migraine driving me toward Apple.
    ATS
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/28 01:32:07 (permalink)

Actually, Vista has been okay for me too after I disabled most of the new GUI features. It was unusable in the low-power mode on my machine (which is a pretty good machine - Dell XPS M1330) with everything turned on.

Lots of hardware had no working drivers in Vista for quite some time (so much for plug and play!), but I haven't run into any problems recently.

Some things like sleep mode are better in Vista than in XP. Sleep is good enough that I don't use hibernation (which is good because hibernation seems to be slower and less reliable in Vista than XP).

The other big gripe I have with Vista is that it takes up a giant slice of your hard drive, without any clear value for all of that.

I didn't have any catastrophic issues with either XP or Vista. For me Windows is just a lingering migraine driving me toward Apple.

Yes it will be a long time before I buy a new computer but I am considering getting an Apple computer next as well. Unless project 5 gets an update before then. I just hate not being able to take advantage of a dual core computer. Especially with plugs like Omnisphere and even z3ta+.

Back to this Absynth problem. I just tried Absynth in Acid Pro 7 and no problems there either. So far it only happens in Project5. Why does it have to be Project5 it doesn't work with!!! At least Massive, FM8 and Pro 53 work. I just got Komplete Synths (for $150 )
    wrench45us
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/28 07:53:42 (permalink)

a bell just went off

Many Absynth presets use a midi cc that gets reset on transport control with P5 (like Play or return to start)
    Lots of Absynth presets use that cc to control 'essentials' like filter cutoff.

(Naturally I can't recall the number, but I think it's Mod Wheel)
    Could it be that this is what's causing the silence?

I've had to 'correct' many of these presets by fixing the track automation to a useable setting.
    That seems to be a convention among Absynth sound designers.
    Sorry I didn't think of this earlier.

syrath
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/28 15:56:56 (permalink)

To resolve this issue, please delete the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex registry
    folder.

To do this you will need to run the Registry Editor.
    Windows XP:
    Click on Start > Run, type Regedit and press OK
    Windows Vista:
    Start--> type "regedit" and press Enter

Note: be very careful while you are running the Registry Editor.
    You can easily render your machine unable to boot if you play with settings
    you aren't familiar with!
    You may want to immediately back up your Registry before doing any editing.

Please check this information from Microsoft about backing up your Registry:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

After you enter the above commands, the Registry Editor window will appear.
    Please expand (click on the "+") the following folders:
    HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    ASIO
    You should then select the "ASIO DirectX Full Duplex" folder and press delete.
    This will delete this driver (which is essentially a rough translator for ASIO
    from Dirext X) so that it will not be initialized at start-up. Then restart
    your system. Issue should be resolved.
    If it continues then make sure you are running the latest update version. at
    worst you should uninstall and reinstall the application.

Please uninstall the application using the Add/Remove Programs control panel
    (Windows XP) or the Programs and Features control panel (Vista).

Then reinstall from the original installer you used (either from disk or from
    a download).

Then download and install the latest update available in our Update Manager
    (in the Service
    Gabriel
    Native Instruments Support Team

the problem is I have no folder called "ASIO DirectX Full Duplex"

I wrote them back with a screen shot of my registry. So I am guessing now it is something to do with my sound card driver.

Actually I wouldnt say so. Firstly if this is in project and you havent changed your drivers to ASIO then your drivers are in WDM mode. Which this makes no difference to. Secondly the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex driver is a default ASIO driver used by Cubase ,and also the Native Instrument Standalone programs (IE things like Kore or the standalone for Absynth).

Messing with this will (most likely) have absolutely zero impact on the problem you have with Project5 (which also doesnt use the ASIO directX full duplex driver btw, it only uses the ASIO drivers provided with your interface.

This is a long shot, go to www.auslogics.com and download boostspeed, run its registry checker (id recommend anyone wanting to keep their computer run smooth gets this, I mean it resurrected sebs over installed laptop from the grave, its gotta be half decent).

This might cure any problems caused in the registry, I still think the problem is hardware though (the majority of BSOD are caused by this). The easiest way to check for this is probably to use a program such as sisoftware sandra. This should show up anything major affecting yoru system.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SiSoftware-Sandra.shtml
    ATS
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/28 18:43:44 (permalink)

a bell just went off

Many Absynth presets use a midi cc that gets reset on transport control with P5 (like Play or return to start)
    Lots of Absynth presets use that cc to control 'essentials' like filter cutoff.

(Naturally I can't recall the number, but I think it's Mod Wheel)
    Could it be that this is what's causing the silence?

I've had to 'correct' many of these presets by fixing the track automation to a useable setting.
    That seems to be a convention among Absynth sound designers.
    Sorry I didn't think of this earlier.

Silence isn't a problem, it is the crashing to a blue screen every time I open it that is the problem.
    ATS
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/29 22:37:38 (permalink)
    Wow. The native instruments support guy said he ordered Project5 in order to test this problem and it should be there in 2-3 days. Talk about good customer service!
    post edited by ATS - 2008/10/29 22:41:17
    ATS
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/31 07:00:40 (permalink)
    I just wiped my hard drive and reinstalled vista. Been up all night reinstalling everything long process.

Anyhow so far Absynth is working now. Can;t be sure yet but I have yet to make it crash. Very good sign.
    syrath
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/31 10:40:15 (permalink)
    Yeah, I once had a problem with Native Instruments tech support and vowed never to go near them again until I had proof of an improvement. I decided to get Kore 2 and give them another chance, and had to contact tech support once more. The difference was like night and day. They were far more responsive, and helpful.

For the record though , Ive rebought Absynth 4.
    wrench45us
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/31 11:55:50 (permalink)

in that case, I heartily recommend all of biomechanoid's banks for absynth

one of the top five sound designers at work these days, imo

ATS
    RE: Is anyone using the latest Absynth with Project5? 2008/10/31 19:13:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: syrath

Yeah, I once had a problem with Native Instruments tech support and vowed never to go near them again until I had proof of an improvement. I decided to get Kore 2 and give them another chance, and had to contact tech support once more. The difference was like night and day. They were far more responsive, and helpful.

For the record though , Ive rebought Absynth 4.

eek it just crashed again after a complete hardrive wipe and reinstall. At least the NI support is working on it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1