Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
2011/04/02 08:54:34 (permalink)

Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum?

Not just fewer new songs, but posts to those songs.

30 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 08:57:37 (permalink)
    I noticed it too and fear it is part of the diaspora.

jamesyoyo
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 09:45:28 (permalink)
    I guess X1 did change everything.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 09:49:26 (permalink)
    noticed yesterday i logged off to track..got back on 2 hrs later..there was about 15 posts in a 2 hour period.
    how am i supposed to bring my post count up when theres no one here to interact with?...lol

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 09:54:29 (permalink)
    Maybe it's spring and spring break.  I know I have been way busy at work and getting ready for a week of vacation, so I will not be able to review for over a week.  Probably people are starting to find the opportunity to do some things or catch up on some chores with the warmer weather finally starting to show.  Some of the old regulars haven't been around much or at all lately either.  I see a lot of new names and that's great.  It just might be an artifact of winter finally starting to move on.

No I got to go and pack for my trip to North Carolina where I wont have to think about work for over a week!!!!

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 11:59:46 (permalink)
    Yea, it's much slower around here.

I'm trying my best to help.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 12:02:13 (permalink)
    I keep meaning to post some comments as my output has been pretty much zilch lately.

I pop in from time to time but it doesn't seem the place it used to be how ever good, bad or indifferent that may be.

Anyone seen Rick lately?

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 12:45:31 (permalink)
    It seems like songs that used to get mega posts are lucky to get 25 or 30 if you don't bump it a lot.  I don't expect everyone to post a comment and many of the people I have commented on don't ever post on our tunes.  Some of the board icons here don't post on Pugtones tunes and I've always wondered what we are doing wrong.  I have been staying away due to business things and my Grandson ( I babysit 3 days a week for the 11 monther).  Robby used to complain about this subject and I thought he was paranoid, just being Robby.  Seems that many people are listening and not commenting.  I hope there's a producer or someone looking for a song among those listeners.  LOL!  To be honest, we have about 10 songs in the works and I don't really think about this until it's brought up.  I think you are right, James.  I actually have been comtemplating other sites (I've never posted on another songwriting board since I started here) because it seems that many people post but no as many comment.  I could be wrong.  I'm having a strange day.  :-)  It is the people that are here since I started a almost 3 years ago that keep me coming back.  Some great musicians and there is some great new blood.  I try to comment on New Member stuff but never see comments from many of them.  James, buddy, you got me going!  Thanks, though.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 12:51:40 (permalink)
    darylcrowley

Probably people are starting to find the opportunity to do some things or catch up on some chores with the warmer weather finally starting to show.

^^^

This, for me anyway. Tons to repair and clean up around the house and garden.  I'll try and catch up on a few tunes this weekend.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 12:53:44 (permalink)
    evadianepug

I actually have been comtemplating other sites (I've never posted on another songwriting board since I started here) because it seems that many people post but no as many comment.

I have yet to find another board that is as good as this one. You often will see a week's worth of posts on the first page.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 13:25:45 (permalink)
    is it me or this posted in the songs forum??..lol..caught me off gaurd.  :)

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 14:03:09 (permalink)
    "jamesyoyo"
    Not just fewer new songs, but posts to those songs.

You are right on. And noticeably so. And I know for a fact it has nothing to do with X1.

"evadianepug"
    I don't expect everyone to post a comment and many of the people I have commented on don't ever post on our tunes.  Some of the board icons here don't post on Pugtones tunes and I've always wondered what we are doing wrong.

Good point Warren and from my POV, the Pugtones are doing everything right.
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 14:12:55 (permalink)
    If you think this site is slow, go over to the Presonus site. You can stay away for a month to come back and the same posts are still on the first page. A great post over there nets maybe 4 or 5 replies. I feel a big percentage of new users to the song forums have found out that they can come here and at least get a reply. Again I feel that a high percentage of new users to the forum do not even own a cakewalk product and just want their song reviewed, and after that they have no interest in further contributing to the forum or it's members. JMO

Broadjam has a good solution to this problem. You must review a number a songs in order to receive a review on your work, which generates forum activity. It's not a bad idea.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 14:24:17 (permalink)
    james, I have heard the same thing in the past.  I really am comfortable here.  The quality of the people who take time to reply is phenomenal.  I've played a long time and in some great bands with some great people.  You just don't get any better than some of the folks up here.  So, I stay here.  When you're safe and warm, don't think about movin'.  Thanks to all for the great 2 something years.  Now back to stinkin' taxes!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Jonbouy
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 14:35:06 (permalink)
    I'd also urge any new posters here not to be put off by ANY individual telling you via email or PM how to post or respond.

If somebody is willing to help you out they will do it out loud.

I say that because some of the newbie 'marshalling' of yore still goes on behind the scenes as I've encouraged a couple of people to post here fairly recently only for them to be slammed via private messages for not making the 'right amount' of responses after posting their first track.

That garbage still happens, and was all part of what put me off hanging around here so much.

It is common courtesy to respond to others tracks here and to try to give more than you take but it's not a hanging offence.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/04/02 14:40:40

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 15:17:26 (permalink)
    Hi All, I'm relatively  new on this forum but am pleasantly surprised about the number of people that take the time to listen and comment on my stuff. I also like to hear what others are up to and to pick up inspiration or just to listen to music I've never heard before. Sometimes it is hard to come up with something to write other than nice song etc. My only "expertize" is the guitar so I'll usually comment on that aspect.

Greetings, Rik
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 16:04:13 (permalink)
    evadianepug

It seems like songs that used to get mega posts are lucky to get 25 or 30 if you don't bump it a lot.  I don't expect everyone to post a comment and many of the people I have commented on don't ever post on our tunes.  Some of the board icons here don't post on Pugtones tunes and I've always wondered what we are doing wrong.  I have been staying away due to business things and my Grandson ( I babysit 3 days a week for the 11 monther).  Robby used to complain about this subject and I thought he was paranoid, just being Robby.  Seems that many people are listening and not commenting.  I hope there's a producer or someone looking for a song among those listeners.  LOL!  To be honest, we have about 10 songs in the works and I don't really think about this until it's brought up.  I think you are right, James.  I actually have been comtemplating other sites (I've never posted on another songwriting board since I started here) because it seems that many people post but no as many comment.  I could be wrong.  I'm having a strange day.  :-)  It is the people that are here since I started a almost 3 years ago that keep me coming back.  Some great musicians and there is some great new blood.  I try to comment on New Member stuff but never see comments from many of them.  James, buddy, you got me going!  Thanks, though.

Yeah Warren, I remember: Robby did have a thread similar to James'.  Actually, I had noticed this many months ago, and I don't know that there's a reason.  I do know of a few members who have told me privately that they listen to nearly everything, but generally don't comment (for a variety of personal reasons).

I try to get here and listen/comment as often as I can, but have all the usual constraints: work, personal life/family, obligations, etc..  The worst part of it is that it often comes down to a conflict: having little time, and knowing that time spent listening and commenting is time I can't spend on my own tunes.... BUT, I do the best that I can.  I've sort of developed a pecking order for listening and commenting- first I'll listen to material from members whose tunes I generally like or find interesting, then I'll move on to anyone who has been kind enough to comment on my tunes (many times these are the same people as the first group), and then finally I'll move on to 'new' posters.  It makes sense to me, as sometimes folks who are new (or not new, but just post their material without commenting on others) don't get the concept of 'giving back' or whatever we'd care to call it.

I'll leave off with a suggestion- I think it would be a good idea to have a 'sticky' thread at the top called something like 'Suggestions for posting and commenting,' with the thread containing some basic 'tips' for new posters (and others) about the sense of 'community' in Songs and how to best participate in it.  Ideally, the thread or topic should be handled by a long time member who has a relationship with the mods or others at Cakewalk.  Just an idea...

jamesyoyo
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 16:08:07 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

I say that because some of the newbie 'marshalling' of yore still goes on behind the scenes as I've encouraged a couple of people to post here fairly recently only for them to be slammed via private messages for not making the 'right amount' of responses after posting their first track.

Too true. I will say that recently a somewhat newer member had posted six songs on the first page. A PM from me simply said that you'll probably get more responses if you post stuff at a slightly decreased rate.

Jonbouy
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 16:15:27 (permalink)
    Which is fair enough, the difference between a suggestion and a demand is easy to spot.

If looked at logically if everyone on here made just one more review than they recieved it would be buzzing here again, I know many on this thread do much more than that already.

I'm on it, I've just got pretty inspired by the few I've listened to this evening.

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 16:48:37 (permalink)
    i tend to have a blitz - 15 songs listened to in a session. don't browse the same as i used to though, still check in every day but will always come posting for certain people (DT, SMB, BB, CHB, JY, Rolifer, Philip)...being out of the X1 loop is fine by me!
    hoping to get a tune out next week.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Kroneborge
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 17:05:37 (permalink)
    I admit to this problem.

I've been meaning to drop and and comment, but have been working on music instead.  Not fair for me to ask for comments though, if I don't return the favor.

Course it's easy to comment in the other forums cause you can do that at work

Anyway, I will try and be a better citizen

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

jamesyoyo
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 17:28:59 (permalink)
    Kroneborge

I admit to this problem.

I've been meaning to drop and and comment, but have been working on music instead.  Not fair for me to ask for comments though, if I don't return the favor.

Course it's easy to comment in the other forums cause you can do that at work

Anyway, I will try and be a better citizen

I didn't ask it or mean it as a rebuke or a tsk-tsk or anything else.  I have learned so much from all y'all; actually I was wondering if something had happened that I wasn't aware of that would explain the drop off.  
    Kroneborge
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 17:48:59 (permalink)
    No, I know you didn't.  I've actually just been feeling bad about me not posting here more lately.

For me, I'm just trying to get this dam song done.  Some songs come so easy, this one has been a lot of trouble. 

Still, I hope to have a draft done either today or tomorrow.

Mathew

Hip Hop

BreakBeats

Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 19:18:06 (permalink)
    Hi All,

I probably have posted twice in the last two years but that has everything to do with the fact that during that time I relocated to the great American Desert Southwest and I have been working more than I expected. And I am deathly slow at typing.

But I anticipate getting more back into the swing, soon.

Cheers,

Bert

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 20:50:53 (permalink)
    It may have something to do with X1.  Since X1 came out I spent most of my forum time on the X1 forum and hardly any time on the songs forum.  It was a lot of effort keeping up with all the glitches and trying to figure out if it was my setup or X1 that was the problem.  And then all the problem reports that we all filed.  The X1 forum was extremely active.  All that traffic must have taken traffic away from this forum. 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 21:04:00 (permalink)
    I have noticed this as well... But I figure things go in cycles. I've seen lots of new posters and that is cool.

I have been busy and have decided to try to limit my online time and that involves the songs forum as well.

I often will listen and if there is not much that I can comment on or the tune doesn't grab me I often will not comment rather than say something shallow and useless just to comment.

On the flip side, I have been spending MORE time writing and composing music. As of today.... starting from  Jan 1 2011, I have written over 20 songs and a bunch of short cues 30 to 59 seconds long... I don't consider the cues as songs....  I have posted only a few of these new tunes here....and the songs for the most part didn't get many reviews..... that's life.... my feelings are not hurt by that....

My goal this year is to write, write, write and that's what I'm doing.  If I was posting everything I write, I would be hogging the forum.

Even with the slower activity, this forum is still more alive than several of the other forums I use combined.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kroneborge
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 22:00:34 (permalink)

Jan 1 2011, I have written over 20 songs and a bunch of short cues 30 to 59 seconds long

wow very nice

Mathew

Hip Hop

BreakBeats

brento73
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/02 22:56:06 (permalink)
    I'm guilty of not really being as active as I mean to be. I've posted a few songs over the last year or so, and replied to a few others, but haven't done as much as I'd like. I'm working and going to school full time right now, plus trying to learn a foreign language, so I've been pretty busy. There's a part of me that wants to take a leave from school and use all those hours for working on my music, which would make this forum a business related activity :)

I'm also hoping to have some songs recorded soon(I have something like 26), when I have some time.

Brent O'Dell
    Sonar X2 Producer
    i7 920 OC to 3.15GHz
    18GB RAM
    Win 8 64bit

brentodell.com
    Brent on YouTube
    A Long Fall-debut album from Brent O'Dell
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/03 09:20:50 (permalink)
    Well, I hadn't really noticed but now that you mention it I believe you're right.

This post is getting a pretty good response, though...maybe it's the music that's driving people away?

I don't have any answers but I think it's probably ( hopefully ) cyclical/seasonal. Time will tell.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Is it just me, or is posting way down in this forum? 2011/04/03 09:46:15 (permalink)
    Also people get bored, have lifestyle changes, work issues and other things that simply take them away from recording and music and posting here.... but new folks come in and take their places.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1