Is it possible to import SHS6XL projects into Cubase LE?

Author
MelodicJimmy
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 668
2011/02/01 20:38:35 (permalink)

Is it possible to import SHS6XL projects into Cubase LE?

Hello everyone,

I'm using SHS6XL and my keyboard player is using Cubase LE.  He's eventually going to buy Sonar, but all he has is Cubase right now.  We write music together and we'd like to share our ideas and projects without having to upload every single WAV file (and, then importing them into our DAW). 

I tried sending him a Sonar project.... I just sent him my project as an attachment, then had him open Cubase and try to open the Sonar file, but it didn't work.  I also had him just try to click on the Sonar file and it asked him what program he wanted to open with and he chose Cubase, but that didn't work, either. 

So, is this even possible?  And, if so - how?  If not, what's the best way to send each other our projects?

Toshiba Ultrabook Laptop (Core i7)/ Sonar Platinum/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit
10 gigs ram/ solid state drive/ Roland Cubix 22 interface/ M-Audio 88-key Keystation MIDI Controller/ Samson Monitors/ Sibelius 7 Notation

7 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Is it possible to import SHS6XL projects into Cubase LE? 2011/02/01 21:13:07 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    No you can't.
    I suggest your friend get Cakewalk's Music Creator 5 ($35 download). Then he can record the projects and save them in a format SHS will recognize.
    If he has a 64-bit OS, there may be some extra setting-up to do. Ask here or in the Music Creator forum.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Is it possible to import SHS6XL projects into Cubase LE? 2011/02/01 21:14:36 (permalink)
    Not possible with Home Studio. Both Sonar and Cubase use proprietary file formats for their projects. You can export your audio tracks as WAV files and MIDI track as MID files and send those back and forth.

If you upgrade to Sonar Studio, you could save your projects as OMF files, which is an open format, however, I am not sure whether Cubase can open or save to OMF format. You'll have to check with your friend on that. 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Is it possible to import SHS6XL projects into Cubase LE? 2011/02/01 21:26:14 (permalink)
    The Sonar files are proprietary, and will not open in Cubase.
    Your only real option is to export individual WAV files, or WMA, which will give you smaller, compressed files.
    You could also sent MP3 files for reference, but send WAV files for finished tracks.
    Ultimately, whoever is doing the final mix should have the best quality files to work with.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    MelodicJimmy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re:Is it possible to import SHS6XL projects into Cubase LE? 2011/02/05 01:24:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of your help!  57Gregy, we took your advice and downloaded Music Creator.  Thanks for that suggestion!  I didn't even realize that program existed!  Thanks! 

Toshiba Ultrabook Laptop (Core i7)/ Sonar Platinum/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    10 gigs ram/ solid state drive/ Roland Cubix 22 interface/ M-Audio 88-key Keystation MIDI Controller/ Samson Monitors/ Sibelius 7 Notation

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Is it possible to import SHS6XL projects into Cubase LE? 2011/02/05 01:35:34 (permalink)
    You're welcome, and cool!
    It's a great program for only 35 clams.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Is it possible to import SHS6XL projects into Cubase LE? 2011/02/05 01:57:57 (permalink)
    you cant even use cubeases vst's in cakewalk or sonar..lord knows i tried long time
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Is it possible to import SHS6XL projects into Cubase LE? 2011/02/05 08:21:12 (permalink)
    RobertB

The Sonar files are proprietary, and will not open in Cubase.
    Your only real option is to export individual WAV files, or WMA, which will give you smaller, compressed files.
    You could also sent MP3 files for reference, but send WAV files for finished tracks.
    Ultimately, whoever is doing the final mix should have the best quality files to work with.

+1 to Bob's advice.  sending the project back and forth is too cumbersome.  one of you needs to be the engineer and keep all of the wave files for mixing while the other just uses an mp3 as reference to play along with.  then the wave file that he records as a separate track can be exported from cubase or any DAW as a wave file, then send JUST that wave file back to the engineer using yousendit.com or something similar.  much easier for one person to be "in charge" of the project than to send it back and forth.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1