Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track?

Author
Vab
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
2014/01/03 11:32:07 (permalink)

Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track?

So far I've only tried using the SI Electric Piano synth, but the voices on my DGX 630 are much better, but I only know how to record them through an audio track.

I would like to record them onto midi tracks so I can get access to editing them using the step sequencer and using other midi tools too.

I have it installed both through the microphone input for audio recording, and via USB as a midi controller.

28 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/03 11:46:01 (permalink)
    From what I can see in the manual it should be possible.  You need to install the USB midi driver compatible with your OS.  You will also need to set the keyboard to local off otherwise you will get note doubling.

See pages 113 on installing the driver, 144 for implementation.  Page 107 and Page 146 for local off.

Trust that helps. 

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    jjgjr75
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/03 11:47:38 (permalink)
    I was able to do this with guitar. You basically record it as audio and then convert to midi with melodyne. Do you have X3?
    Vab
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/03 12:14:48 (permalink)
    Yea Im using X3 studio and also got Melodyne editor. 

I have no idea where I put my Pianos manual, I'll look for a PDF version to check that.
    Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/03 12:39:46 (permalink)
    I highly recommend that you use your keyboard as a midi controller to record MIDI onto the MIDI track, and then play it back through your keyboard's synth while recording the audio output into Sonar.
    Also remember that once you convert to audio (by recording) you lose a lot of the great MIDI editing capabilities that are in Sonar.  I would do the actual recording later in production.  Of course, as long as you keep your MIDI track you can re-record as many times as you like!

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/03 12:41:55 (permalink)
    jjgjr75
    I was able to do this with guitar. You basically record it as audio and then convert to midi with melodyne. Do you have X3?

This will give him a midi track, but not give him the sounds from his synth once converted.  Going to have to get the audio out of the hardware with midi playback at some point!

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    Vab
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/03 13:20:25 (permalink)
    Stone House Studios
    I highly recommend that you use your keyboard as a midi controller to record MIDI onto the MIDI track, and then play it back through your keyboard's synth while recording the audio output into Sonar.

Brian

Yes this is what I am trying to do, if I play the midi track back through the keyboards synth will it play the sound that the keyboard is set to?

I'm still recording a few short ideas onto audio tracks as I still havnt fully figured how to do this through midi, and already realized that the timings and dynamics are always inaccurate, hence I want to be able to get the piano's voices recorded onto midi tracks instead.

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/03 13:21:56 (permalink)
    To use a hardware keyboard synth, you need to set up two tracks in SONAR:

- A MIDI track with Input and Output both assigned to the ports presented by the keyboard (assuming USB MIDI connection) in Preferences > MIDI > Devices.

- An audio track with Input set to the the interface channel(s) receiving the keyboard audio, and Output to the Master bus and from there to your audio interface Main Outs.

Input echo needs to be enabled on both tracks so that live MIDI input will be echoed to the synth, and live audio output from the keyboard will be echoed to your interface output. And, as mentioned, you'll want to set Local Control Off on the keyboard so that it's only responding to MIDI echoed or played back from SONAR.

The MIDI track will echo automatically when it has focus if Always Echo Current MIDI Track is enabled in Preferences (the default) or you can force it on. The input echo on the audio track should be on all the time until you've recorded the audio from it.

Now you can record MIDI, hearing the keyboard synth while recording and on playback. Once you've captured and edited the performance you want, arm the audio track to record , and record the audio from the keyboard synth in real time as it's driven by your MIDI track. Once you've recorded the audio, you'll want to mute or archive the MIDI track, and disable input echo on the audio track so it's not adding any quiescent noise to the track.

The only open question then is whether your Creative X-Fi (?) interface can run a small enough ASIO buffer to give reasonable overall latency (MIDI round-trip delay plus keyboard response time plus audio round-trip latency) to be playable.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/03 13:29:15 (permalink)
    Agree with Stonehorse and Burndlefly.

But if you have already created an SI Elec Piano track, you can direct that MIDI to an external synth.  Recording it to audio and using Melodyne to convert to MIDI would just be extra uneeded steps of going from MIDI to audio and back to MIDI.  Maybe I misunderstand.

I use external synths all the time.  I create a MIDI track and direct the OUT in the track inspector to the correct port and channel of my MIDI interface.  I plug the synths audio into the audio interface.  Then I create an audio track with the input coming from the correct input in the audio interface.

For multitimbral synths that are playing several sounds at once, my technique has a few more steps we can discuss if and when that is needed.

If you have trouble, we could do some screen shots to help.  My setup may be more complicated that what you need, though, since I am using a V-Studio 700 and the In/Out list is Sonar looks a bit confusing compared to a more straightforward interface.

Konrad
    Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
    Vab
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/03 14:41:34 (permalink)
    Thanks, I wont be able to try out your advice until tomorrow, but will try and figure it out then.

My creative card can be set as low as 1 ms Asio, but this made a lot of artifacts when recording onto an audio track. 40-50 ms works fine, maybe less will work with midi.

Edit - autocorrect does stupid things.
    post edited by Vab - 2014/01/03 16:01:23
    brundlefly
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/03 15:10:18 (permalink)
    You'll want to get round-trip audio latency under 12 milliseconds or so. At that level, you'll definitely feel it, but it shouldn't be too bothersome.

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    avelorn0
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/04 03:40:08 (permalink)
    Just keep in mind that once you have recorded the external audio, if you change the tempo of the song, the pitch will change.

Like konradh I would just use the MIDI track from SI Elec Piano to trigger your DGX630. This is what I do quite often as I too prefer the sounds of my Roland Digital Piano to the SI.

But I tend to use the sounds of the SI during the development of my piece, until I'm reaching the final stages. Before recording the audio from my digital piano, I make all the modifications to the tempo and MIDI commands. This means that the audio I record doesn't require any more editing (other than effects).

Regards

Graham

Sonar X1 Producer, Sonar 7 HSXL, Edirol UA25, Intel i7 3.4 GHz 64 bit, 8 Gb RAM, Windows 7, Roland RD170 Digital Piano , Edirol PCR300 MIDI controller, Cakewalk Z3TA+2, Rapture, Dimension Pro 
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/04 07:19:52 (permalink)
    avelorn0
    Just keep in mind that once you have recorded the external audio, if you change the tempo of the song, the pitch will change.

Like konradh I would just use the MIDI track from SI Elec Piano to trigger your DGX630. This is what I do quite often as I too prefer the sounds of my Roland Digital Piano to the SI.

But I tend to use the sounds of the SI during the development of my piece, until I'm reaching the final stages. Before recording the audio from my digital piano, I make all the modifications to the tempo and MIDI commands. This means that the audio I record doesn't require any more editing (other than effects).

Yep, agree that this is the way to go. Like many people I have several piano options, but at the composition stage I just pick any one and do my thing. Once the midi is how I want it, that's when I think about which piano / setting I'm going to settle on. Just point my midi track towards whatever instrument. The replace synth feature is very useful for this, although it wouldn't apply to what you are trying to do here.

Blades
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3246
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/04 09:50:12 (permalink)
    Regarding latency:  If you are not able to get your latency to behave well at the 12ms or less as Brudlefly indicates above, trying to record your keyboard will be unpleasant at best.  It will be like playing a pipe organ in a large auditorium - hit the key and hear the sound much later.  It's very confusing for most people to try to get good timing like this.

Since you have a keyboard that can produce its own sound, you can avoid this by allowing your latency setting to be higher (pretty much insignificant what the number is this way) in Sonar, turning Local Control ON for the keyboard, turning input echo OFF in Sonar on the tracks for midi and audio.  This way, you will be playing the keyboard as normal and hearing the notes as triggered directly from the keyboard without first passing through Sonar, but the midi will be received by Sonar and recorded in the right spot.  When you play back (with the midi being sent back out to your keyboard, retriggering all the notes you played), since latency would be the same for all playback tracks, it will work just fine there.

Even though my sound card will allow me to go to a pretty low latency, I prefer to record my VDrums this way: a. because I get instantaneous response from the drums, which in the case of percussive things is REALLY important to me to get the groove right, and b. I can set Sonar's latency to be whatever I want without effect, which allows my system to run better in general, especially when further along in a project and there is a lot going on.

Also, I typically leave my drums as midi all the way until I get to mix-down phase, only then converting each drum from midi to audio to process with Sonar's fx.  Up until that point, I use the vdrums sound for monitoring, again keeping the audio processing power around for those things that need it.  Once in mix phase, I can bump up the latency anyway and then I have more headroom to process the drums and everything else at once without issue.

All that said, at some point, you will probably want to get away from the SoundBlaster type cards and get something more designed for the task.  You can even get a simple two channel card with midi over USB2 these days for pretty cheap if you find that you are getting more serious.  It will make a difference in many of the recording phases.

Hope this helps.

Blades
    www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
    Jay Tee 4303
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 246
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/04 10:05:08 (permalink)
    Not only can you use the MIDI track to drive the sound the synth is set to, you can embed Program Change and Continuous Controller messages in the MIDI track to control the synth sound from your MIDI recording. A lot of MIDI devices offer more functionality via MIDI than they do using front panel controls.

You should be able to download the manual for your synth at the manufacturers support webpage. 
    You will probably need it, the further you get into MIDI.

IBM PC/XT
    1 MB RAM
    8087 Math Co-Processor
    5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
    Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
    Vab
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/04 10:07:33 (permalink)
    Thanks I got it all set up and working, it was very easy using the advice people gave in this thread:

http://i.imgur.com/GgmkpiI.png

Midi track 4 is outputting whichever voice is selected on the piano to Audio track 5. Its also making a much better signal than than recording via Audio does, I wish I had figured out how to do this 5 years ago.

I set my Asio latency to 10 ms, and it works flawlessly for midi recording. For Audio recording though it cant be set below 50 ms or audio recordings get filled with loud popping artifacts.

I also tried 1 ms for midi and that caused crackling artifacts, so will leave it at 10 for midi, and 50 for audio. 

Jay Tee 4303

You should be able to download the manual for your synth at the manufacturers support webpage. 
    You will probably need it, the further you get into MIDI.

Yes I already got it and will start reading the midi section. I'll also try and find the printed manual that came with the piano, but manuals have a tendency to just vanish into thin air.
    Jay Tee 4303
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 246
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/04 10:43:04 (permalink)
    I set aside a shelf for manuals and have them going back decades. I also download and print missing ones, and put them in a 3 ring binder. Finally, PDFs go on a Kindle so I can step thru procedures without flipping back and forth.

He who dies with the most manuals, wins!

:-)

IBM PC/XT
    1 MB RAM
    8087 Math Co-Processor
    5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
    Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/01/04 10:53:26 (permalink)
    Jay Tee 4303
    I set aside a shelf for manuals and have them going back decades. I also download and print missing ones, and put them in a 3 ring binder. Finally, PDFs go on a Kindle so I can step thru procedures without flipping back and forth.

He who dies with the most manuals, wins!

:-)

FWIW - For those who want to pursue Jay Tee's approach, I wrote an article that describes how to create a manual library using an iPad. It's great that so many companies have manuals online, and available for download.

Back to MIDI...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Vab
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/11 16:04:49 (permalink)
    Hmmm, I dont know whats going on now. I did a couple of projects with midi tracks set to play my keyboards sounds, but now when I load them up, theres no sound being outputted from those tracks to the audio tracks.

When I try selecting the midi tracks for the input to the audio track, it still stays on 'None', and doesnt change the input selection to the midi track. Anyone know whats happening?

I7 980 | Asus Rampage III Extreme | 12 Gb ram | SLI GTX 680 | Creative X-fi Titanium HD | 2x4 Tb HDD | 128+512 Gb SSDs | Sonar X3 Producer | Yamaha DGX 630 | Samson Go Mic
    brundlefly
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/11 16:22:44 (permalink)
    I suggest you go back and review my post #8. Your description of the issue is a little confusing, but I'm guessing you just need to enable Input Echo on the audio track receiving audio from your keyboard synth so that it will be echoed back out to your monitors. This would apply to real-time playing or playing back recorded MIDI, assuming you haven't yet recorded the audio output of the keyboard synth.

Vab
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/11 16:29:31 (permalink)
    I was checking through your post, and input echo is enabled.

I cant set the input for the audio track to the channel receiving the keyboard audio, it just sefaults to 'None' after trying to change it, so the audio isnt being sent to an audio track.

I7 980 | Asus Rampage III Extreme | 12 Gb ram | SLI GTX 680 | Creative X-fi Titanium HD | 2x4 Tb HDD | 128+512 Gb SSDs | Sonar X3 Producer | Yamaha DGX 630 | Samson Go Mic
    brundlefly
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/11 16:47:07 (permalink)
    So you get the list of available audio inputs in the Input drop-down, but it reverts to None after you select one? Not sure what would cause that right offhand. Is it a USB interface? If so, maybe reboot your PC and make sure the interface is powered up first.

Vab
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/11 17:09:37 (permalink)
    I tried that as well as reinstalling X3 producer and my keyboards USB drivers, but I still cant change the audio track input to the USB piano :X

Vab
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/11 17:53:19 (permalink)
    Derp I got it working, I hadnt selected the input through the microphone in.

Doumdoum
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/14 09:40:23 (permalink)
    I don't understand most of the answers in this thread. It looks to me like "Why make it simple when you can make it complicated".

To the OP I would install the Yamaha USB MIDI driver for your "piano" (if not already done), go to MIDI devices and make sure they're activated; there you can move the MIDI output driver of your keyboard to top, so it will be the #1 MIDI device in the track MIDI output list.

From there, go back to track view, insert a MIDI track, select your Yamaha as the MIDI input device, arm track for recording and "record".

Once the recording is completed, hit "play" and it should play on your Yamaha if you moved the output MIDI device to top as said above. If you didn't move it to top in MIDI devices, simply select the correct output device in the track MIDI out list.

From Vab original question, I don't see any reasons to have an audio track, it should work with only MIDI tracks (for what he asked).

brundlefly
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/14 15:24:52 (permalink)
    Doumdoum
    From Vab original question, I don't see any reasons to have an audio track, it should work with only MIDI tracks (for what he asked).

The question was: "Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano... "

You can't record (or monitor through SONAR) the piano's "voice" without an audio track.

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/14 17:10:37 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    Doumdoum

The question was: "Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano... "

You can't record (or monitor through SONAR) the piano's "voice" without an audio track.

+1

laudem Deo
    Doumdoum
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/14 17:17:31 (permalink)
    The question in the title of Vab's post wasn't the same than the post itself, I've answered to the POST, not to the title and I stand by my reply, for recording and editing using the hardware synth sounds only MIDI is necessary, no audio tracks are needed.

I understand that at some point you have to record the output of the synth into an audio track but it's before the mixing not before all editing is over.
    brundlefly
    Re: Is it possible to play and record the voices on my piano through a midi track? 2014/02/14 17:25:57 (permalink)
    Bottom line is that I and others gave him the standard operating procedure for working with hardware synths, and he got it working just fine. The thread only came back to life a month later because of a configuration issue.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1