Is my hard drive about to die?

Author
NW Smith
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 565
2008/12/21 11:47:05 (permalink)

Is my hard drive about to die?

I am hoping someone might be able to assist me. Over the last couple of days, my computer has been making a horrible grinding noise every time I start it up. This noise generally lasts about 20 to 30 seconds. After the initial noise, everything seems to be "normal."

I have not noticed any issues with performance or any different computer behavior except for that 20 to 30 seconds of noise when I start up my machine. I took my CPU apart and started the machine and of course, it didn't make the noise.

Is this a symptom of a hard drive that is about to die? Or is it possible that perhaps I have a faulty fan or something?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

My Website:
http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
My Music on Bandcamp:
http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6

12 Replies Related Threads

PathosLogos
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/21 12:03:19 (permalink)
    A dying hard disk drive may show development of a couple of or several bad sectors or even give out a "clicking" sound (as if its trying to rotate and search for data but can't seem to accomplish it and the clicking sound goes on and your PC can't go beyond POST).

I think its more of a dying fan...whether its the CPU fan or the chassis/casing fan would depend on your keen sense of hearing and proper observation to pin-point the culprit while your PC casing is open.

> if it turns out to be the CPU fan, then you need to go look for a new replacement fan otherwise you're in danger of toasting your processor once the fan really fails to spin sometime later.

> if it's just one of the chassis/case fans, then its really no sweat...you can just drop by a PC store and buy a new one or order on-line. Typical chassis fans are 80mm or 120mm (larger fans).

It's also important to note that Ball-bearing fans are rather noisy but are more durable than their sleeve-counterparts. You'll see if the fans are ball-bearing on the fan-sticker or brand stickers...but its impossible to read while the fan is spinning of course
    post edited by PathosLogos - 2008/12/21 12:04:37

Pentium D 925 3GHz dual-core , MSI P31 Neo v2, 4GB DDR2 800, ATI X1650 Pro 512mb, Audiophile 2496, Seagate SATA HDDs (80, 80, 320, 500), Antec 430w PSU, Behringer UMX61, Casio Privia PX-320, Emu Xmidi 2x2, Pearl Drum set (acoustic), Carlsbro mixer
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/21 14:19:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: NW Smith

I am hoping someone might be able to assist me. Over the last couple of days, my computer has been making a horrible grinding noise every time I start it up. This noise generally lasts about 20 to 30 seconds. After the initial noise, everything seems to be "normal."

I have not noticed any issues with performance or any different computer behavior except for that 20 to 30 seconds of noise when I start up my machine. I took my CPU apart and started the machine and of course, it didn't make the noise.

Is this a symptom of a hard drive that is about to die? Or is it possible that perhaps I have a faulty fan or something?

You took your CPU apart?
    I doubt that.
    It could also be the power supply fan.
    Get your head down next to the PC when you fire it up and see if you can tell where the noise is coming from.
    Sometimes you can tap on the power supply fan outlet holes and that will change the sound enough to let you know its bad.
    Changing out the PS is not hard. Get a more powerful one while your at it.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/21 14:21:03 (permalink)
    It's always a really good idea to have a reliable backup source.... and use it!

I don't want to read a post from you or anyone else saying...my HD died and I lost all my project files..... It does happen...and all to often.

I just replaced a HD in this machine that was 95% full (40GB). They have cloning software that makes a HD upfit so simple even I was able to do it in less than 20 minutes.... and the new drive (300GB) works perfectly...everything is exact!

So if you think the drive is failing....if it's not a fan issue... get a new drive and get it done.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/21 16:15:14 (permalink)
    I have a similar problem when I start my computer after its been off for some time. It grinds/hums for up to a minute, and the frequency changes. It's not a very comforting sound. It eventually disappears into the normal low hum of basic operation. I think it's the CPU fan warming up from having gone cold. That's the only time I ever hear it. I suppose it's a sign of age (it's about 5 years old), but it seems to still be working properly once it warms up.

And to repeat what Guitarhacker said: Please backup your stuff! Especially before you start messing around inside the case! :)
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/21 17:18:10 (permalink)
    The answer to "is my hard drive about to die" is always yes.

The Poodle Chews It.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/21 18:46:11 (permalink)
    Copy that.... it's not if.... it's a matter of when.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/22 06:30:18 (permalink)
    I had the exact same symptoms two years ago: about 30 seconds of grinding noise at startup. A few weeks later the HDD was gone. There was nothing wrong with the fan.
    And if the noise comes from the CPU fan, especially if you have a fan bigger than the standard one, I think that repeated shaking could damage the contacts of the CPU (?)

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    NW Smith
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/22 10:31:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I did a chkdsk on my hard drive and there were no bad sectors - and aside from the noise I get at start up there are no performance issues. So I am suspecting it is likely a fan - I will figure it out over the Christmas weekend. I will also keep an eye on my system monitor for any increases in temperature inside my CPU.

This entire episode serves as a good reminder - Back up frequently!

My Website:
    http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
    My Music on Bandcamp:
    http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/22 10:54:40 (permalink)
    Sounds exactly like the fan on your video card is going bad.
    For a DAW, you're always best going with a passive cooled video card.
    No matter how quiet those little fans are when new, give them 6-12 months... and they get noisy.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/22 11:40:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: NW Smith

right-click on "my computer", select manage. go into event viewer, and look for errors related to the disk. if you have some, then your disk's time is short.

- jack the ex-cynic
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/22 11:42:28 (permalink)
    also i agree that it's a fan. hope that it's a case fan.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Shadow of The Wind
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Is my hard drive about to die? 2008/12/22 15:14:54 (permalink)
    The easiest way to figure out what is goining on is to open your computer, look at the fans and listen to your disks.

To everybody:
    If you have noticed that your fans are not working properly, replace them now! Your hardware will appreciate that.
    If your disks make funny noises: How old is your last backup?

Wilko
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1