Is there a definitive guide to SFZ file formats

Author
Gribs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2008/03/03 16:20:45 (permalink)

Is there a definitive guide to SFZ file formats

I have started learning about the SFZ file format and using it to set up cool patches in Rapture. I am very used to using scripting languages in my work-work job and this appears to be another form of a type of scripting method - no problem there. However I would like to have a definitive and complete set of the OP Codes that can be used in SFZ files. A cursory search here on wave table sequencing and other topics suggests to me that such a beast might not exist, at least in the user community. For example, the Cakewalk link for the SFZ format here:

The sfz Format: Basics

has a list of OP codes that is not complete; I found this thread that shows how to use the OP Codes delay_beats and stop_beats in an example illustrating how to do wave table sequencing. These two OP codes are not described in the above link. So does a document listing all admissible OP Codes and their functions exist within Cakewalk and would you be willing to release it to the user community? Is there a book I can purchase that lists all the OP Codes and details of the SFZ format?

As an aside, I would also like to point out that there are a large number of dead links to examples here in the forums that might be of use to new users, including a link to an additional example by Chad in the thread I linked above.

Thanks very much.

Dr. Gribs
Electro-optical engineer and industrial mathematician
Electronic and acoustic music enthusiast
I like to play with stuff that makes noise and sometimes music comes out
Cakewalk Rapture owner

3 Replies Related Threads

mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Is there a definitive guide to SFZ file formats 2008/03/03 16:49:44 (permalink)
    Check out Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power User by Simon Cann. It has a fairly complete explanation of the sfz format opcodes.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Is there a definitive guide to SFZ file formats 2008/03/03 18:40:23 (permalink)
    So does a document listing all admissible OP Codes and their functions exist within Cakewalk and would you be willing to release it to the user community
    It's constantly evolving, and some of the newer opcodes get released with newer synths/updates.
    To get the most up-to-the-minute version of .sfz, you'd have to brain-slice René's frontal lobes.
    Is there a book I can purchase that lists all the OP Codes and details of the SFZ format?
    As mentioned, this is as good as it gets: Cakewalk Synthesizers - From Presets to Power User.
    There are periodic .pdf updates to that book, and it's as current as humanly possible (minus any alleged new supersynth info ).

If you have access to Dimension Pro, there are a lot of little .sfz tidbits in the original content, and the Expansion Packs. There are obscure uses and approachs to 'rare' .sfz opcodes that I've found to be very informative. You can see them, in use, within the context of a working program file.
    A cursory search here on wave table sequencing ...
    You may be interested in this: [Download] Flex 110 Wavetable Sequencer for Rapture 1.1
    I don't know that there are any scantily documented opcodes in there, but there may be an unusual application or two.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    SFZ file format 2008/03/04 17:35:10 (permalink)
    hopefully Brad/Rene etc will read this... I thought I would be able to use Rex2 (rx2) files with sfz format.. Not as sampled grooves etc, but as single wav/instruments. Can it be expanded to included Rx2 files??

you might wonder why I ask... well I have dimension pro and just bought 2 packs for it the viral outbreak + digital sound factory..

after rx2'ing say... 1 of the grand piano folders ... 250mb or so? now 44mb and rx2 is loseless, and the same as the wav.. please implement it as I altered the sfz file to reflect the file change/format and it spouted a load of info back at me saying it couldn't load it [sm=rolleyes.gif]

If someone from cakewalk wants the converted files / altered sfz's then contact me, I've done a lot of them. I don't mind as long as it is implemented in dimension pro as then I can save a HEAP of hard drive space =) . I'm sure others would like that option to save a heap of space, same content as is also,.

It did take a while to convert em, I'd just like to save hard drive space really. Also would be handy for when u buy online.. e.g. the viral outbreak sounds pack was 1.2 gb or something :| and now compressed is errm 892 mb... saves space again, but it's not usable as sfz (yet)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1