Helpful ReplyIs there a reference for the .CWP file format?

Author
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
2009/08/30 13:05:22 (permalink)

Is there a reference for the .CWP file format?

I tend to write music in lots of separate projects and then merge them together into songs. To help with this, I'd like to program a little tool that can go through my Sonar projects and extract things like key, tempo, and time signature, so that I can see at a glance which ones are likely to go together.

To achieve this, I need to be able to read CWP files and extract the information from them. Does anybody know where I could find a reference to this format?
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/30 18:48:25 (permalink)
Become a developer for Cakewalk and I'm sure they'll provide you with what you need to know.

Of course, if you're serious about your music and not just a poseur, you could open each project and make notes on the salient data and then put them together. That's the way the pros would do it. There's no substitute for good old-fashioned hard manual labor. And when you get your data you want, you could always sort your data in a spreadsheet - MS makes a good one called Excel. Buy it, learn it, use it.

Jack
Qapla!
Kylotan
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/30 19:16:20 (permalink)
That's a bit of a dumb response, with all due respect. Should I dump Sonar too, because hey, most pros use Pro Tools or perhaps Cubase? I'm sure once upon a time people like you would say that people who are serious about their music would not be using computer software at all to record their songs. Stick to four-track tape machines! Luckily the rest of us are happy to use the new tools that technology gives us to improve our workflow. Being serious about your music doesn't mean jumping through unnecessary hoops just to show how 'pro' you are.
rstollen
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1561
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/30 19:40:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Hi Ben. If I were writing a program to extract tempo and pitch from a Sonar project, I would probably use a hex editor to compare two versions of the project, where only the tempo and pitch are different in the two versions. Then you might discover a pattern about how the data is stored. That's how I reverse-engineered the ACID chunk in acid loop files. 

BTW, my favorite hex editor is HxD from www.mh-nexus.de (and it's free).

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 2084
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/30 20:11:50 (permalink)
You can just add all of this info in the title of the project. I do this in various forms and it makes it easy.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/30 21:52:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Is there a reference for the .CWP file format?

Unfortunately, no. The CWP format is undocumented so that CW is free to alter it at any time to support new features. It's undergone many changes over the years, changes that would have been difficult or unsupportable had it been documented publicly. Even if you took the time to crack the format yourself, any application you wrote to parse it might not work with the next version of SONAR.

I think what you want to do is export those bits and pieces of songs as groove clips or acidized loops, which carry tempo and pitch information and can be stretched or compressed to fit another song. But I don't know the first thing about that stuff. Look up "groove clip" in the help file.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
jackn2mpu
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/30 22:16:36 (permalink)
Kylotan

That's a bit of a dumb response, with all due respect. Should I dump Sonar too, because hey, most pros use Pro Tools or perhaps Cubase? I'm sure once upon a time people like you would say that people who are serious about their music would not be using computer software at all to record their songs. Stick to four-track tape machines! Luckily the rest of us are happy to use the new tools that technology gives us to improve our workflow. Being serious about your music doesn't mean jumping through unnecessary hoops just to show how 'pro' you are.

You totally missed the whole point of my post, and that was that you just have to put in some manual labor to get what you want. LOOK at each cwp file and WRITE down the data you want, and then when you have all the data, put it into a spreadsheet to organize the data. Never said you have to use or not use a particular piece of software. What I meant by working like a serious pro was that they make notes all the time on what they have recorded and you can and should do the same - there was never any slight on whatever daw software you use.

IOW - lose the 'tude.

Jack
Qapla!
rstollen
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/30 22:47:22 (permalink)
Hey Ben - Only a "poseur" would be clever enough to write an application to extract that info from the file. BTW - I want to be a pro, I guess I better go purchase Excel now. LMAO
post edited by rstollen - 2009/08/30 23:03:39

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/30 23:07:12 (permalink)
Kylotan

I tend to write music in lots of separate projects and then merge them together into songs. To help with this, I'd like to program a little tool that can go through my Sonar projects and extract things like key, tempo, and time signature, so that I can see at a glance which ones are likely to go together.

To achieve this, I need to be able to read CWP files and extract the information from them. Does anybody know where I could find a reference to this format?

A little tool that can extract key, tempo, and time signature? If you can't read the key, tempo, and time signature right there in the different projects how are you going to get it from a .CWP file? It's all right there in plain terms.
Matching and altering these peices of the different tracks is going to be the same which ever "file " you read.
Match key, tempo, and time sig from track B to track A automaticaly? 6 notes in B, measure 1, 9 notes in A measure 1. Boy that would be a handy tool.

Craig DuBuc
rstollen
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/30 23:25:23 (permalink)
Crg - I don't know if you're being sarcastic because I don't know you. But yes, the point would be to create a browser (similar to Explorer) that would provide details about Sonar projects. Similar to the ability for Explorer to display MP3 tags.

I'm not making a judgement about the OP wanting to do this, or whether he's a lazy or ignorant poseur. I'm just trying to answer the original question. 
post edited by rstollen - 2009/08/30 23:26:40

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 00:05:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I dunno, I saw the OP's salient point and agree it would help.  When one has hundreds of project files and all you want is the tempo (for example), opening all of them up is a big fat pain.

And unless there's a smiley I'm missing, the "poseur" comment seems out of line.

All of that said: No, there's no easy way to do it. :-(  I'd say open them in safe mode so you don't have to wait for instruments to load, but you still gotta click through the "No to All" prompt.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 00:16:59 (permalink)
Crg - I don't know if you're being sarcastic

No.  He's just obtuse.

jackn2mpu
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 07:07:37 (permalink)
to rstollen:
The op seems like a lot of the new generation of musicians wherein they really don't want to be involved in the nitty-gritty grunt work of making their own music. They want to push a button or run a program and have a musical composition made out of bits and pieces they manage to record. The computer can't do it all for anyone, and even if it could, who'd want that? And like the op, you missed the point of my post: there are tools already in existence that can help the op do what he wants. You just have to put some manual labor into it on the front end to make it work. Just about everybody else in the recording industry does it (making and keeping notes, etc.) so why can't kylotan and the rest of the people here?

to wicked:
No, there's no smiley missing - don't believe in them to make or soften a point. I say what I mean and mean what I say and if people can't take an honest opinion about something then that's there problem. I'm not and never will be into political correctness.

to crg:
I guess some people don't want to put the real work into their music that it takes to solve a problem like most of us here do.

If kylotan had been organized in the first place with good notes then he'd not have this problem. I learned my lesson the hard way about not keeping adequate notes. Now I do - both handwritten and on the computer.

Jack
Qapla!
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 09:10:01 (permalink)
rstollen

Crg - I don't know if you're being sarcastic because I don't know you. But yes, the point would be to create a browser (similar to Explorer) that would provide details about Sonar projects. Similar to the ability for Explorer to display MP3 tags.

I'm not making a judgement about the OP wanting to do this, or whether he's a lazy or ignorant poseur. I'm just trying to answer the original question. 

I am being somewhat sarcastic. I don't see how the feature would make it any easier. Would it be like an event list showing all the notes and their placement in time? Doesn't seem it would any easier than using Audio Snap for example. It sounds like the OP wants an automatic feature to do it for him. I was sincere when I said it would be a handy feature.

Craig DuBuc
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 16:10:34 (permalink)
There's no substitute for good old-fashioned hard manual labor.
Oh, yes there is!  Or do you NRA folk bash the bullets in with your bare hands?
rstollen
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 17:31:52 (permalink)
Well, I just feel like we jumped to a lot of conclusions about this new member. He was talking about writing his own program.

Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 17:48:00 (permalink)
Well, I just feel like we jumped to a lot of conclusions about this new member. He was talking about writing his own program.

You are absolutely correct!  Certain people need to read, then re-read a post, and then read and re-read their comments, before hitting the "Post Message" button.

rstollen
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 18:25:29 (permalink)
if only.

Kylotan
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 19:03:42 (permalink)
To all: yes, the idea would be to have something like the Explorer browser to show this metadata. (eg. time signature, key signature, tempo, number of tracks, song length, etc.) It would be helpful when there are maybe hundreds of files. It is more convenient than logging all this data in something like Excel because (a) it will require fewer resources than Excel, and (b) it will automatically stay in sync with the project files rather than requiring you to keep updating when you change your files.

Sorry jackn2mpu, I just completely disagree with you on this and think that you were the one who brought the attitude by choosing to post in this thread criticising my question rather than either answering or ignoring it. This isn't about skipping hard work, it's about doing a different kind of work to avoid not wasting time in future doing things twice. The information is already right there in the Cakewalk file where I put it by setting key/tempo/time-signature so it makes perfect sense to extract it from there.

Rstollen, I may well just use a hex editor on some basic projects as you say. I've done it before with other file types and I doubt it would be too difficult here. I was just hoping someone might have done this before.

Seth, I currently do encode this sort of meta data in the filename, but that's not as convenient for sorting under multiple criteria unfortunately.
dontletmedrown
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1722
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 19:43:41 (permalink)
Well I guess I completely misunderstood the OP's post.  He used the word "extract".  Sounded to me like he was asking for something similar to the Pro Tools' "import session data" feature.  It lets you choose tracks/clips/FX/automation/settings from one session and copy them into another.  Much more practical than editing hex code.  It's pretty darn handy.
post edited by dontletmedrown - 2009/08/31 19:48:40
spinlock_1977
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 426
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/08/31 21:48:35 (permalink)
Being a software engineer, I think the original question is quite valid.  Hacking aside, access to the cakewalk data files would have to be through Cakewalk's own code interface (for those who might care, a set of entity and query  methods calling into a database engine), typically called an API, for Application Programming Interface.  Theoretically, Cakewalk could offer some kind access to it, or maybe they already did in the dead and gone CAL.

Regardless, I think the tool suggested - essentially a Cakewalk file browser with maybe a scratch pad for assembling clips, has merit for someone like me, who has built endless loops and zero songs in the past fifteen years.  Am I asking my computer to overcome my own laziness?  Absolutely.  But that's why computers were invented in the first place?

Cakewalk, I'm interested in writing this application

Music:  WarrenSpencer1977.com 
Visit my blog:   www.GeekCrumbs.com

gerrard00
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 73
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/09/01 10:55:40 (permalink)
I'd love it if there were a documented way to get this information from the project files. I know I'd be willing to knock out an IFilter to allow for integration with Windows Search. I'm sure other folks with programming skills might come up with other interesting uses for this type of information. Even an extra XML file being generated in the folder with the cwp file that contained the meta-data would be helpful.

OP, here's some free advice. Make ample use of the block feature on this forum. There's lots of great information mixed in with the pointless attacks.

Malevol3nt
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/09/01 11:45:53 (permalink)
And I'm interested as well. I've got tons of zero projects myself too. Altho what I would really prefer was a way to play .cwp files via some kind of interface with Sonar. Because opening a file in sonar, then hitting play, then stopping, then closing the file + having to click on "No, I don't want to save the project" is time consuming to say the least. That new audio/midi browser they're incorporating into Sonar 9 looks like a great tool, it would be nice if it could preview .cwp projects and not just audio and midi loops.

spinlock_1977

Being a software engineer, I think the original question is quite valid.  Hacking aside, access to the cakewalk data files would have to be through Cakewalk's own code interface (for those who might care, a set of entity and query  methods calling into a database engine), typically called an API, for Application Programming Interface.  Theoretically, Cakewalk could offer some kind access to it, or maybe they already did in the dead and gone CAL.

Regardless, I think the tool suggested - essentially a Cakewalk file browser with maybe a scratch pad for assembling clips, has merit for someone like me, who has built endless loops and zero songs in the past fifteen years.  Am I asking my computer to overcome my own laziness?  Absolutely.  But that's why computers were invented in the first place?

Cakewalk, I'm interested in writing this application

Brando
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/09/01 15:56:42 (permalink)
Likewise - actually I like both options - the CWP Project doc utility that the OP is seeking, and the CWP player. I have dreamed about how great it would be to have a Winamp plugin that would recognize CWP files and play them. Not feasible maybe/probably - but cool nonetheless.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
spinlock_1977
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 426
Re:Is there a reference for the .CWP file format? 2009/09/01 20:30:42 (permalink)
One further thought on this - I'd love to be able to highlight a section of a clip somewhere in the project and designate it as a 'demo' clip.  I say this because I often mix down the entire thing onto a track that I archive for later reference or mp3 master.  The notion of saving an xml file containing meta-data could possibly dovetail nicely with this.  Maybe even multiple clips could be tagged and noted in the xml - no drums, no vocals, complete mix, etc.

Cakewalk, if you happen to be watching this one, I'd sure like to know what language such access could be provided in.  Then at least I would know if I should brag about my willingness to contribute to the effort .  I'm guessing MS Visual C++? (which puts me out of the coding game :-( )

Music:  WarrenSpencer1977.com 
Visit my blog:   www.GeekCrumbs.com

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1